closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It should be consider the price per kilo!?

I see crankhouse coffee are doing it at £15 for 150g so £1.80 for a brew. Not bad value if it’s as good as they say. (From a speciality coffee point of view)
    Yeah its amazing, was gonna be used for the barista world championships which was cancelled so they released it to the public

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blimey. It takes me 150g to dial a new coffee in half the time.

Tbh, I keep dose always the same and mange to go 1 click either way on the grinder, dont change anything else

I mean a may let the shot have a bit longer or stop a bit quicker so I suppose technically I'm maybe need two or 3 shots to perfect, I meant really just machine and grinder settings

If after a couple of shots I'm left with just timing I'm happy, so yeah probably 4 shots maybe but for me that's 56g

150 though eek

Master
    Blog Entries
    Waitrose 1 Kenyan and Sumatra Mandheling are my current faves in bean form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Blimey. It takes me 150g to dial a new coffee in half the time.
    Whenever I get given or buy expensive coffee like that I always have it as filter so no wastage.
    Had a stunning wush wush from Gardelli a while back which was great, huge body and even as it cooled right down to tepid it was still a great cup. Think that retailed at €30 for 250g was far more enjoyable than Geisha which having tried a few I’m not a huge fan of.

Coffee thread

Just read this article. It seemed relatable to the thread here so thought I’d share. I know very little about coffee with the exception being that my neighbour makes by far the best tasting coffee I’ve ever had... with a shot of baileys or rum cream.... and if it cold outside an additional shot of bourbon.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wsj....ow-11590154201
    Last edited by canuck; 23rd May 2020 at 10:16.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Just read this article. It seemed relatable to the thread here so thought I’d share. I know very little about coffee with the exception being that my neighbour makes by far the best tasting coffee I’ve ever had... with a shot of baileys or rum cream.... and if it cold outside an additional shot of bourbon.

https://apple.news/AT4OU_4uSQ-qFE5YtQLGavQ
    It's behind a paywall, for me at least.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I weigh yes, 16g in an 18g basket for me, dial it in to 40g out

Try 20g beans/40g liquid. You will thanks me latter.

To much for me mate, upping the dose is nicer yes, but sends me loopy and costs a lot more

Lovely

Lovely

is that a classic with the tray on back to front ?

Might be one of those 3D printed lower trays that somebody on a coffee forum was making? (Can’t remember where I saw that)

Yes its the 3d printed lower trays I bought from the coffee forum , means you have more room for scales and bigger cups

What scale are you using there please?
    Yes its the 3d printed lower trays I bought from the coffee forum , means you have more room for scales and bigger cups

They are made by Joe Frex in the US sold by Bella Barista here but awaiting stock

With a Classic you have to remove the plastic cover form the scales as it covers the solenoid blow off hole

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/joe-f...ith-timer.html

Those the ones mudlark was selling?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Yeah, for a tenner, easier to get a slightly taller glass under with scales

They are made by Joe Frex in the US sold by Bella Barista here but awaiting stock

With a Classic you have to remove the plastic cover form the scales as it covers the solenoid blow off hole

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/joe-f...ith-timer.html
    Thanks.

Both the scales and the drip tray look ideal for the classic.

And for coffee related stuff are reasonably priced.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've kept things reasonable so far, but I'm about to order a Niche Zero and I've just spent 300 quid on a Mahlgut tamp and leveller

Master
    What forums are you guys on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What forums are you guys on?
    Coffee Forums UK

Yeah, I've kept things reasonable so far, but I'm about to order a Niche Zero and I've just spent 300 quid on a Mahlgut tamp and leveller

I just can’t get excited about the niche. It looks like a toy, and has dubious build quality. Results certainly seem good for now, but how long they’ll last is my main concern.

Coffee Forums UK

It’s a good place with some friendly knowledgeable folk, but the new owners are odd. They’re not making the money they expected, so do odd things. I had a barrage of fairly off colour emails from one of them, so I stopped posting. I still browse, but never post.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I just can’t get excited about the niche. It looks like a toy, and has dubious build quality. Results certainly seem good for now, but how long they’ll last is my main concern.
    Whats makes you say that about the build quality? Have some been failing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    +1 for Rave coffee mail order. Good value.
    I also use Rave for my coffee. I was told to limit my caffeine consumption so was on the hunt for a decent decaffeinated bean. I tried Rave's Swiss water decaf and I really like it. I use their subscription supply and I find it suits me well.

Whats makes you say that about the build quality? Have some been failing?

Have you seen one? It’s a set of decent burrs in a light cheap plastic housing, all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!

Yeah for they cost a lot more

Coffee is like watches, cheap and good don’t often coexist.

Yeah, single dosing grinders in particularly

I mean , im on the mailing is for a Monollith

Have you seen one? It’s a set of decent burrs in a light cheap plastic housing, all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!
    A friend has one, I thought it was well made if a bit pricy. Apparent good construction is no guarantee of reliability. I know of 3 Mahlkonig Swiss made vario grinders that all died after a couple of years of home use (mine included) the Ascaso grinder I gave to my folks after supposedly upgrading to the Mahlkonig is still going strong 8 years later.

Mahlkonig are German, and the vario is only a few hundred quid, with plastic gears and pretty poor quality overall, there are far far better grinders.

Just checked every website for a Barataza Sette 270, everyone has sold out

Mahlkonig are German, and the vario is only a few hundred quid, with plastic gears and pretty poor quality overall, there are far far better grinders.
    FYI It is made in Switzerland.

The 3 grinders were deemed ‘uneconomical to repair’ mine was used once a day for 3 years, the others had a bit more use. It may have been only “a few hundred quid” but it’s far from entry level at twice the price f of a baratza, Rocky, Iberital MC2 or sage smart pro.

I agree there are better grinders that don’t end up in the bin after a couple of years, both for more money and for less.

This thread is a timely find for me as I just got myself a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. I know true aficionados don’t really rate them but for me it’s a huge improvement over pre-ground filter coffee. I’ll follow this thread with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    This thread is a timely find for me as I just got myself a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. I know true aficionados don’t really rate them but for me it’s a huge improvement over pre-ground filter coffee. I’ll follow this thread with interest.
    Don't buy stale beans from a supermarket order fresh beans online

Don't buy stale beans from a supermarket order fresh beans online

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try to get fresh. I already realised it was a mistake to buy two 1kg bags of beans with the machine. The first bag I opened tastes fine to me, but it’ll take me ages to get through it. I’m already feeling like trying all kinds of beans but I’m stuck with the two keys I have. In the future I’ll try to buy in bags no bigger than 250g.

Stick them in the freezer and give them to guests at Christmas

Support your local roaster by buying some fresh roast, you wont look back

Anyway, hoping to pick up a Baratza Sette 270 soon

Stick them in the freezer and give them to guests at Christmas

Support your local roaster by buying some fresh roast, you wont look back

Cheers, luckily I have several options close by. I recently found out that one of my mates from school has a small coffee farm in the Santander region in Colombia. His first harvest arrived here in March and it’s roasted locally. I just ordered 250g to support him. This brings me to the question of fresh roast. What is considered fresh, please? If the coffee I just bought off my mate is at oldest roasted in April, is it already past its prime?

Right now my main trouble seems to be that I simply can’t drink coffee in the quantities I’d like.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Edit A link to How to Store Coffee. To which I would add...allow any coffee out of the freezer to reach room temperature before opening it. That should avoid condensation dampening your coffee before you store it ready for use.
    Last edited by PickleB; 31st May 2020 at 08:43.

Thanks. So it’s 10-12 days once opened. No mention of how long it’ll stay fresh in the unopened bag, which I guess was what I was trying to ask. I appreciate there are all kinds of variables that make it impossible to give a definitive answer. I’m just trying to get a sort of rule of thumb figures in my head. I know next to nothing about coffee. I tried visiting a local coffee forum but I felt like a guy coming on TZ-UK with a new Tommy Hilfiger watch.

Tbh i have a 350g bag delivered where two weeks, the day after roasting

They all come in a sealed bag nowadays and the coffee tastes just as nice after 13 days to my uncultured taste buds. And if you use milk it matters even less

Ps I've found the Coffee Forum a friendly place, I'm also a novice

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I should not be at all surprised, given where we are, that so many people are willing to throw money at expensive status symbols that do the same job as a piece of equipment you get for a tenner from Amazon!

Sorry but that thing is never going to be able to deliver a decent cup of coffee(a matter of taste after all) but most important being Aluminium it's actually very toxic for the purpose so....you might consider giving that up.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Yes, getting caffeine in drinkabke form is fine many different ways, but an espresso machine using pressure will extract more from the bean and many people desire that.

Is some of the kit over the top? Yeah, but then again a 10 quid casio can tell the time just the same as a 30k watch, but people still spend 30k on watches

I mean this is beautiful set-up, possibly 5k worth and thats without factoring in specially made granite tops

Lovely https://youtu.be/kHn_B86gncg

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Thanks. So it’s 10-12 days once opened. No mention of how long it’ll stay fresh in the unopened bag, which I guess was what I was trying to ask. I appreciate there are all kinds of variables that make it impossible to give a definitive answer. I’m just trying to get a sort of rule of thumb figures in my head. I know next to nothing about coffee. I tried visiting a local coffee forum but I felt like a guy coming on TZ-UK with a new Tommy Hilfiger watch.
    See FAQs for:

How should I store my coffee?

Store in an airtight container, in a cool dark place. We do not recommend keeping your coffee in the fridge or the freezer. Shop our range of storage jars here.

How long will my coffee stay fresh?

If stored correctly your coffee should stay fresh and keep the majority of it’s flavours and aromas for a month. Coffee is safe to drink for many months after roasting, however your coffee’s flavour will rapidly decrease after the four week mark. We advise buying smaller amounts of coffee often, so you always have the freshest coffee!

I don't think the unopened supplier's bag will help keep it in top condition any longer than properly stored beans from an opened bag. Unless, perhaps, the supplier has purged the bag with nitrogen as mentioned in the video, but even then I have some doubts as to how long it will be effective.

Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    Sorry but that thing is never going to be able to deliver a decent cup of coffee(a matter of taste after all) but most important being Aluminium it's actually very toxic for the purpose so....you might consider giving that up.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk
    I don’t like aluminium pots either and much nicer steel ones are available but the risks are often overrated, eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5388725

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don’t like aluminium pots either and much nicer steel ones are available but the risks are often overrated, eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5388725
    Looking at the moka pot data in the linked article I would conclude that it's best to keep them out of the dishwasher. The authors suggest that the dishwasher removed the passivated surface from the aluminium pots but I cannot see any explanation of why the aluminium concentration from a stainless steel pot also increased after it was cleaned in a dishwasher.

Thanks again guys. I’ve been steering away from watches for a few years now, but I keep coming back here because of things like this. The depth of knowledge here is fantastic.