closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I don’t quite understand the issue with plastic, bpa? But even with an a high end machines water is normally kept in a plastic tank. I try to only drink from glass, I’d been using a britta kettle for years which was plastic. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought about it. I now have a glass kettle.

However I do remember reading the Judas machines can’t be opened and cleaned. Apparently they can get quite horrible inside! Not sure if it’s an issue anymore.
    Milk too, unless you have a milkman.

Journeyman
    What is a PID

Regarding the plastic issue: there is no problem at all with plastic for water recipients, pipes or anything else BEFORE the hot water meet the coffee. We are talking about more than 90 degree Celsius here, and that heat in contact with plastic... repeatedly... Thanks but no thanks!
    Few more things about this here
    Last edited by kumm2004; 4th June 2020 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    What is a PID

Regarding the plastic issue: there is no problem at all with plastic for water recipients, pipes or anything else BEFORE the hot water meet the coffee. We are talking about more than 90 degree Celsius here, and that heat in contact with plastic... repeatedly... Thanks but no thanks!
    Few more things about this here
    Not according to your link - there’s still the environmental issue of plastics. Negligible of course in something that will last 5, 10 years or more.

Don’t think those other points are worth worrying about either. After a few uses leaching will be insignificant.

Journeyman
    A very good alternative for those who want to take the espresso habit in vacation:

Of course, together with a good manual grinder.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    A very good alternative for those who want to take the espresso habit in vacation:

Of course, together with a good manual grinder.
    That's an interesting bit of kit - what is it?!!

Journeyman
    Flair Signature Pro... is the first release. Now they sell second release (minor improvements)
    Last edited by kumm2004; 5th June 2020 at 21:36.

Craftsman
    Thanks - it's interesting and different, but not for me!

Grinders packed in

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Grinders packed in

Is it ‘W’ model? They had loads of failures but thought they had it sorted.
    I hope you have a backup or a least a decent hand grinder!

It's the as with the early 16 serial number , they have improved the later motors which I order for replacement

I have an Iberital MC2 in the garage

Grinders packed in

There are other apps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apps?

New grinder on its way

Nice. I have a Eureka too. It's been very good.

New grinder on its way

Nice one, I'd been eyeing that one up myself. Nice design too...

I've just ordered a Niche Zero, although have to wait until August.

I thought long and hard about the Niche, just decided single dosing isn't for me

Right, let's see what ya got Eureka

You might find your burrs take a while to bed in. I recently bought some new burrs and 3 or 4kg later they still haven't settled down fully.

Yeah, it's perfectly drinkable after 100g but 0.6 or 0.7 g different weight each time

I bought 2kg of nastiness from Amazon and ran that through.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Bran...1W5WB4EAFTJAR5

Lol, having had a gap without a grinder , I had 1kg rotting in the freezer, I used that

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I bought those as well (got a new Jura E8 and wanted some cheap beans to experiment with). They are not nearly as bad as you'd expect for the price!
    Last edited by PhilipK; 18th June 2020 at 13:08.

Right, let's see what ya got Eureka
    I did read somewhere that the best results from the Eureka was to maintain a weight of beans in the hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I did read somewhere that the best results from the Eureka was to maintain a weight of beans in the hopper.
    Yeah but I ain't throwing beans away, will use until hopper is empty

Yeah but I ain't throwing beans away, will use until hopper is empty
    I meant the grinder works best (in terms of output quality) when the hopper is fairly full

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Are they not good?

I meant the grinder works best (in terms of output quality) when the hopper is fairly full
    Ok cheers

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Are they not good?
    Not great. I got some passable cold brew from them.

I won't be swapping them for my usual, even though theyre sometimes six times more expensive.

I think with any hopper you should keep the weight of the beans in it consistent. My hopper is fairly small but when it's full it's still a third of a kilo pressing down on the beans as they're being fed.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Nice one, I'd been eyeing that one up myself. Nice design too...

I've just ordered a Niche Zero, although have to wait until August.
    I have had the niche for I think about 2 years now, definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    I have had the niche for I think about 2 years now, definitely recommend.
    Good to know! I'm currently using a Rok hand grinder with an Iberital MC2 as a back-up, so'll probably shift the MC2 and keep the Rok as back-up when the Niche arrives.

The Niche seems to get some good reviews from the likes of Hoffman & Corbey

Made by Knock are doing discounts on their range at the moment, I have a prototype aergrind which is great and a big improvement on the Hario/rhino.

New tamp and dozer

300 quid these things

New tamp and dozer

300 quid these things

Wow!

1st shot out of the machine

That tamper looks nice, similar quality to the Londinium ones I have. Where are they from?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    That tamper looks nice, similar quality to the Londinium ones I have. Where are they from?
    Mahlgut

Mahlgut

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Ps these are 150 quid each, Londinium are 70, no idea how they compare

The dozer has a sprung pressure mechanism so not really a comparison.
    The londinium is designed for more or a lighter tamp so not suitable for all machines/techniques.

My first shot with La Pavoni

Well, I've heard how hard it is. Was braced but first shot is the nicest shot I've ever made. Hopefully not a fluke.

I'm not an expert , but not a novice having worked in a cafe for a year between jobs recently which was fun and owning a Gaggia Classic.

The bean is fresh last week, from Crankhouse, and I kept the same grind setting in the Specialiata, and set it to dispense 15g. I got 38g out in about 25 seconds. I will experiment with mini Fellainis (?) and all that , but it was lovely . With this I did a 1 mini fellaini

Anyway, what a great start.

First thing I notice is how tricky it is to lift the handle with one hand and use a screen brush in the other as the machine wants to tip backwards , I like to clean the screen whilst the water is running.

Nectar, dialled in to perfection this morning

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    That looks sooo good!

My first shot with La Pavoni

Well, I've heard how hard it is. Was braced but first shot is the nicest shot I've ever made. Hopefully not a fluke.

I'm not an expert , but not a novice having worked in a cafe for a year between jobs recently which was fun and owning a Gaggia Classic.

The bean is fresh last week, from Crankhouse, and I kept the same grind setting in the Specialiata, and set it to dispense 15g. I got 38g out in about 25 seconds. I will experiment with mini Fellainis (?) and all that , but it was lovely . With this I did a 1 mini fellaini

Anyway, what a great start.

First thing I notice is how tricky it is to lift the handle with one hand and use a screen brush in the other as the machine wants to tip backwards , I like to clean the screen whilst the water is running.

Nice one Dave - I think it's certainly a lot easier to use if you have a good understanding of bean quality, grind setting, dosing, tamping, pre-infusion and extraction (pretty much none of which I had when I started with it!). It took some time for me to get a decent result.

One thing (if you're not already aware of), it takes the grouphead a while to warm up. I wondered why the 1st shot was always lukewarm until I learnt that you need to pull a clear shot first.

Yeah handy to warm the cup up as well

Yeah handy to warm the cup up as well

I've ordered a temperature strip, a deeper IST basket for more pre infusion room and an IST shower screen, and a pressure gauge

Journeyman
    So..here goes long post incoming.

I can see that there are some really knowledgable people on this thread so looking for some advice...

So I enjoy a good coffee since working from home I probably make at least 2-3 a day. Mainly espresso but do like a iced coffee in the warm weather or a good latte or flat white. My wife is the same and drinks the same albeit we both prefer different flavour profiles from our coffee. I prefer dark roasts which can take a bitter profile, where as she likes a lighter roast with floral notes.

I have a gaggia classic from 2006 but this needs a complete overhaul and may not be economical to fix. I also have a Krupps burr grinder but this may not be great for espresso based on current trends.

I have been using a Nespresso machine (latissima) for the last 5 years or so... the one thing I miss from the gaggia is the control I had in being able to make the milk. This Is just not great on my current machine.

Now one thing to mention is that I drink mainly decaf for medical reasons and this is where my problem lies. Most reviews are generally not positive of decaf beans but reviews of the Nespresso decaf is that it has a similar taste profile to its caffeinated brethren albeit mediocre coffee but not much choice in my situation.

I’m looking for a new machine. The obvious choice it to rebuild/ order a new gaggia classic and have a grinder along with this.. however I’m thinking I would need 2 grinders one for my coffee and one for the wife. Otherwise I would need to constantly change the settings and washing burrs. This means that all bean to cups are out.

Buying two good grinders will be expensive, I did think going for some hand grinders may be the way forward but then this is still not cheap for what are regarded as not great beans.

So I’m thinking that I stick with Nespresso for the convenience of just being able to pop a capsule in. But upgrade to a creatista plus which will give me at least some of the control over the milk I desire. I must say I also like the convenience of the quick start up times of the Nespresso machines.

Let’s say I have a budget of £500 at the moment.. love to know the thoughts of the experts here.

You don't necessarily need two grinders, you could have two hoppers and swop then in and out but you'd need a grinder able to easily dial in different beams, my Mignon would be useless as it's stepless for example.

You could try a different tack, Aeropress for decaf over for decaf and the Gaggia for you. Send the Gaggia off for a rehaul unless you do it yourself and buy decent grinder like a Baratza Virtuoso which is 250, leaving enough for a hand grinder for the Aeropress and Gaggia service for you

A mahlkonig vario will enable you to switch settings between beans easily if they need a slightly different setting to pull a good shot (they probably will) and you could just weigh each dose and not fill the hopper, there will be a tiny bit of cross contamination with retained grounds but a very small amount.
    A pair of drug dealing scales from amazon will be fine for weighing out 18g of beans, it’s what I use.

Or you could take this approach with any gender and expect a bit of variation between decaf and normal. Weighing out beans takes seconds and at least that’s one variable nailed down when pulling a shot.

Master
    I love this sort of thread.

For me, I lead a fairly simple coffee life at home. Hario Hand grinder for the morning workout, and an Aeropress. I use various beans, but tend to come back to Union which is easily available/nice. I even buy pre ground for the lazy days.

That’s not to say that some of the comments above don’t have me desiring a proper coffee machine, but given that I drink it black and simple, the Aeropress (inverted) is perfectly acceptable for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I love this sort of thread.

For me, I lead a fairly simple coffee life at home. Hario Hand grinder for the morning workout, and an Aeropress. I use various beans, but tend to come back to Union which is easily available/nice. I even buy pre ground for the lazy days.

That’s not to say that some of the comments above don’t have me desiring a proper coffee machine, but given that I drink it black and simple, the Aeropress (inverted) is perfectly acceptable for my needs.
    I've had an Aeropress for 10 years, makes lovely coffee , just get a fresh roast bean online and avoid the supermarket stuff

It's also handy for me to make decafs later on

Master
    Just bought a Siemens bean to cup machine to replace an old Delonghi one and that along with the beans I have been buying from Craft Coffee House is amazing. Revolutionised coffee for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk