closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Coffee thread

Master
    My partner has just returned from the barista school. She made an expresso for me when she got home, and it’s money well spent!

second rule of Barista School.............................

Espresso is both a coffee beverage and a brewing method. It is not a specific bean, bean blend, or roast level. Any bean or roasting level can be used to ...

Time now for a short break with a delicious 9barista espresso

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Master

Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    Time now for a short break with a delicious 9barista espresso

Nice thread idea. I would join in, but since my partner did her expresso making course last Monday I’ am 6 expressos in before 1130am and running around like a meerkat.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 24th August 2023 at 11:23.

I prefer a pour over myself!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    My partner has just returned from the barista school. She made an expresso for me when she got home, and it’s money well spent!

That is a beautiful set up. I would worry I’d blow myself up with it! Love to try a proper, astounding espresso just to understand if I can appreciate the nuances etc.

No idea how to even find a proper artisan place vs some hipster with an escargot van and a machine!

Wow that looks amazing. I’ve no need for that in my life but I know I will start reading and then starting some man maths.

Quite a step up from a Jura!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That is a beautiful set up. I would worry I’d blow myself up with it! Love to try a proper, astounding espresso just to understand if I can appreciate the nuances etc.

No idea how to even find a proper artisan place vs some hipster with an escargot van and a machine!
    if you are in London I can recommend https://prufrockcoffee.com/ James Hoffman has involvement in them. He of the YouTube coffee fame

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Quite a step up from a Jura!
    I miss my bean to cup Jura, it was much better than sage. We got a sage oracle fancy thing and it doesn’t allow you to fine adjust things so the oracle has gone into storage for the holiday home and now it’s perfect fancy stuff every time.

Will be doing a course to roast our own beans soon ( no idea why ).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    if you are in London I can recommend https://prufrockcoffee.com/ James Hoffman has involvement in them. He of the YouTube coffee fame
    Thanks, I will pass that to her as the program she’s following is SCA recognised so may be more convenient than London coffee school.

Master
    After 3-4 years of daily use my grinder feels like it’s about to give up. I’m probably looking to buy a Niche. Am I correct in thinking that the Niche is still the best grinder for £500?

I miss my bean to cup Jura, it was much better than sage. We got a sage oracle fancy thing and it doesn’t allow you to fine adjust things so the oracle has gone into storage for the holiday home and now it’s perfect fancy stuff every time.

Will be doing a course to roast our own beans soon ( no idea why ).
    Still happy with the Jura for the Costco price but I’m trying and failing with cheaper beans right now. Monmouth is very nice but currently on some Costco beans with Illy due next.

Coffee thread

Coffee game…upgraded!

Homemade Nitro Cold brew!

Beans: La Colina, Guatemala
    Process: Washed, Caturra and Bourbon
    Roaster: The Barn, Berlin

Last edited by paw3001; 1st September 2023 at 13:38.

Master
    That looks fantastic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Still happy with the Jura for the Costco price but I’m trying and failing with cheaper beans right now. Monmouth is very nice but currently on some Costco beans with Illy due next.
    Problem with cheaper beans is that there's usually too much time between roasting and you actually buying them, which means they don't produce a decent crema unless you use a pressurised basket.

I gave up looking. I now use Lavazza beans for Cafeteire/Moka etc and buy specialty beans online for Espresso from Pebble and Pine. Here's a 25% referral link if you need: Pebble and Pine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Problem with cheaper beans is that there's usually too much time between roasting and you actually buying them, which means they don't produce a decent crema unless you use a pressurised basket.

I gave up looking. I now use Lavazza beans for Cafeteire/Moka etc and buy specialty beans online for Espresso from Pebble and Pine. Here's a 25% referral link if you need: Pebble and Pine
    Oi…. That’s my job to ponce 25% off on pebble and pine by putting my code on here !!!

I suspect you got 25% off me previously?! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    After 3-4 years of daily use my grinder feels like it’s about to give up. I’m probably looking to buy a Niche. Am I correct in thinking that the Niche is still the best grinder for £500?
    Don’t know if it’s the best, but I think mine’s pretty good. Easy to dial-in, use & maintain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Random Q - can anyone recommend a cheap small coffee scale that will fit on a bambino plus?

Talk to me about Picopresso. Anyone have one? Any good? Not cheap but means I can have decent coffee out and about!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Talk to me about Picopresso. Anyone have one? Any good? Not cheap but means I can have decent coffee out and about!
    I have one. It makes a half decent espresso once you have the grind and quantity of coffee dialled in. Once you are used to the process it is relatively quick but is is pretty fiddly. I use mine at work so have access to a sink and kettle. Not sure about using it out and about though.

You need to warm it first so I run a full tank of water through it. Next dry the basket and add coffee then tamp using the included tamper. Put it back together and add water. Pressurise until the coffee just starts to come out. Leave for 10 seconds then pump to produce the coffee. It produces a good single shot.

Once you’ve made the coffee you have to decide whether to drink it first or clean the Picopresso. I normally drink the coffee. It is easy to clean but there are a lot of parts so it’s best to have somewhere to leave them to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have one. It makes a half decent espresso once you have the grind and quantity of coffee dialled in. Once you are used to the process it is relatively quick but is is pretty fiddly. I use mine at work so have access to a sink and kettle. Not sure about using it out and about though.

You need to warm it first so I run a full tank of water through it. Next dry the basket and add coffee then tamp using the included tamper. Put it back together and add water. Pressurise until the coffee just starts to come out. Leave for 10 seconds then pump to produce the coffee. It produces a good single shot.

Once you’ve made the coffee you have to decide whether to drink it first or clean the Picopresso. I normally drink the coffee. It is easy to clean but there are a lot of parts so it’s best to have somewhere to leave them to dry.
    Really useful. Thanks. My initial idea is to use in the office (hot water and sink available) or when camping etc where there will also be a sink. Would also use at home when I want espresso as I only have a moka pot at the moment and don’t really want to spend £1k on a bean to cup machine!

Really useful. Thanks. My initial idea is to use in the office (hot water and sink available) or when camping etc where there will also be a sink. Would also use at home when I want espresso as I only have a moka pot at the moment and don’t really want to spend £1k on a bean to cup machine!
    I’m that case I think it will work well for you. It does produce surprisingly good espresso. I assume you’ve watched James Hoffmann use it in his review video of several travel espresso makers?

Master

Coffee thread

This ^

Dialling in the grind was the biggest faff, but the little instruction book gets you very close to the setting to begin with.

The pdf copies of the manual are available to download if you want to see the process, obviously lots of YouTube videos of them.

I use one in hotel rooms ans usually end of spilling some or dripping so best to make over sink or surface where the drips or grain won’t be an issue.

Afterthought: you do need a very fine grind so may need to do your own grinding. The grinder sold by the Pico expresso company is good but very expensive and heavy( if travelling maybe an issue).
    Last edited by joe narvey; 10th September 2023 at 12:09.

I’m that case I think it will work well for you. It does produce surprisingly good espresso. I assume you’ve watched James Hoffmann use it in his review video of several travel espresso makers?
    I think that’s where I found out about it, through instagram!

This ^

Dialling in the grind was the biggest faff, but the little instruction book gets you very close to the setting to begin with.

The pdf copies of the manual are available to download if you want to see the process, obviously lots of YouTube videos of them.

I use one in hotel rooms ans usually end of spilling some or dripping so best to make over sink or surface where the drips or grain won’t be an issue.

Afterthought: you do need a very fine grind so may need to do your own grinding. The grinder sold by the Pico expresso company is good but very expensive and heavy( if travelling maybe an issue).
    I currently use Lavazza in my Moka. Would that work? It’s very fine.

Master
    I currently use Lavazza in my Moka. Would that work? It’s very fine.
    When I say fine, I’m referring to how finely the beans are ground. Lavazza sell beans whole and ground, I very much doubt the ground beans they sell would be fine enough. If you like Lavazza you’d need to buy whole beans and bring them to fine.

I tried a few suppliers suggested on this thread

Having tried dever roast, I stuck with them. They can be hit and miss with delivery, even when paying for next day delivery, however, the product is fabulous

Pour over filter is my drink. 12g coffee. 240ml water. Yum

I alternate between Pact Coffee and Small Batch Coffee.

Master
    Anyone tried a Gaggiuino mod? https://gaggiuino.github.io/#/?id=home

More or less a poor man (or woman’s) Decent. Definitely an interesting project.

Christmas is coming, and there are some lovely looking things here, if you need present suggestions for yourself:

https://ikapestore.com/en-gb

Master

My old set up was knackered so it was a new grinder and machine for Christmas. The DF63 was phenomenal on first use, quiet, consistent and extremely clean. The Lelit feels robust, but it’s going to take some time to get used to it. Dual rotary boilers so when I understand it better, it should produce consistent shots. Anyway one coffee in and with cheapish beans I’d rank it 6.75/10. I have a feeling I may be high on caffeine tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9barista and Lorenz here in Germany