Thread: Coffee thread

Coffee thread

Stripped cleaned and pimped, looking good

https://www.dropbox.com/s/updgzp8scy...82258.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Also stripped, cleaned and pressed

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Inverted method? I've used one one an off for 10 years , makes a great cup without the faff

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Also stripped, cleaned and pressed
    I bought an AeroPress just two days ago, following recommendations from another TZ coffee thread.
    Sure makes an excellent coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Inverted method?
    Yes, I fly inverted too

Craftsman
    Ye, the fact there is an annual championship on brewing the best Aeropress coffee says a lot.
    I use the inverted method as theres no rushing to get the plunger in before it all drips into the cup. I just find it a but more chilled.
    What's everyone's been of choice?? Still looking for a great one that doesn't cost the earth.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Arrives tomorrow.......
    ECM Mechanika V Slim.
    Sold my Breville machine....can now extract and steam at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only got into to coffee fairly recently. I use a French press at home and an aeropress at work. I found these beans at a local shop (for local people) named after my home town in my home town and find them very nice. They do a lot of different roasts and I think it's free delivery on orders over £10. You do have to ask for the Ashby roast as last time it wasn't on their website.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    Arrives tomorrow.......
    ECM Mechanika V Slim.

awesome, let us know how you get on

I'm saving up for a Decent DE1

My beans are Square Mile , I keep it simple with a two week subscription

These arrived today

Arrives tomorrow.......
    ECM Mechanika V Slim.

That’s the machine I have, had it for about a year, and never wished I’d bought something different. The build quality is the best you’ll find in an espresso machine, and the results are consistently good, even with my cack handed technique

I’m currently using Craft House for my beans, they’re really good, and not too expensive.

Www.crafthousecoffee.co.uk

If you fancy something a bit tastier than rations then Caffeine magazine have a list of roasters doing discounts as does the ‘brew at home’ section of notabarista.com (not just U.K roasters)

Currently enjoying some Burundi, Indonesia and Tanzanian single origins from Origin which were 20% off.

I'm far to lazy for all the complicated stuff, and have one of these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...81428-pdt.html

Curry's is currently doing £650 off!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Aeropress and co-op Colombian fair trade. Two packets for £6.00

https://images.app.goo.gl/ntjdrTPrnNpjjMD38

You can get better but for the price it’s very good

Arrives tomorrow.......
    ECM Mechanika V Slim.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase from? Bellabarista? I currently have a Gaggia Classic 2019 but want something with either a heat exchanger or a double boiler. I’ve read great reviews of the ECM.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Ground Afghan hound dog aids!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Ground Afghan hound dog aids!
    Haha! Was just on a Steve1989 binge really so thought I'd throw this on here.

Journeyman
    We have an integrated machine and use Lavazza beans constantly fresh ground daily by the machine. I have tried many different coffees but we always return to Lavazza. Might dip in to one of these subscription services.

I should not be at all surprised, given where we are, that so many people are willing to throw money at expensive status symbols that do the same job as a piece of equipment you get for a tenner from Amazon!

I'm a big fan of this place on the edge of Winchester, currently drinking this:

https://winchestercoffeeroasters.co....synergy-blend/
    "A man of little significance"

The grounds sink of their own accord before the coffee is cool enough to drink

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I should not be at all surprised, given where we are, that so many people are willing to throw money at expensive status symbols that do the same job as a piece of equipment you get for a tenner from Amazon!

Except a stovetop makes stovetop coffee and doesn’t have the 9bar pressure or temperature regulation to make espresso or to produce microfoam steamed milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    We have an integrated machine and use Lavazza beans constantly fresh ground daily by the machine. I have tried many different coffees but we always return to Lavazza. Might dip in to one of these subscription services.
    What matters is what you like, but imo you'll notice the difference to a supermarket bag

Nectar, dialled in to perfection this morning

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Except a stovetop makes stovetop coffee and doesn’t have the 9bar pressure or temperature regulation to make espresso or to produce microfoam steamed milk.
    Exactly, if you want moka pot coffee, then the moka pot is the right thing. I like espresso, so I have an espresso machine. Mines set at 7 bar though, if we’re going to get geeky ;)

What matters is what you like, but imo you'll notice the difference to a supermarket bag

Indeed. The only important thing is that you like what you make, but lavazza et al were roasted a long long time ago, and are far from fresh, so there are better options. Union is available in most supermarkets, and is a good step up.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Exactly, if you want moka pot coffee, then the moka pot is the right thing. I like espresso, so I have an espresso machine. Mines set at 7 bar though, if we’re going to get geeky ;)
    I bought a pressure gauge a d set mine to 9

I bought a pressure gauge a d set mine to 9

What machine do you have? It’s a very deep rabbit hole to go down once you start!

I’m presently awaiting delivery of my Krups GVX2 grinder and some beans.

In the meantime I purchased this......

I am certain that there is better out there, but at £1.25 for 227g - Wow!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase from? Bellabarista? I currently have a Gaggia Classic 2019 but want something with either a heat exchanger or a double boiler. I’ve read great reviews of the ECM.
    Currently living overseas (ex Devon) and went for ECM after trawling through a multitude of reviews on you tube etc. Certainly better value than a DB and should provide me with the coffee experience I want. Previous machine was a Breville (I think sold under Sage brand in UK) with grinder built in on top of the machine. Made great coffee and at around 350GBP was great value. The downside was the inability to extract and steam at the same time....otherwise I had no complaints.
    The new machine is set up and ready but was too late to be drinking coffee this evening so I will pull my first shot in the morning.....20 min warm up needed (Breville 15 secs)!!!

What machine do you have? It’s a very deep rabbit hole to go down once you start!
    Gaggia Classic

PID
    SSR for steamer
    Upgraded screen
    Upgraded gasket
    Upgraded drip tray
    Upgraded baskets
    Upgraded steamer
    Upgraded portafilter
    Upgraded tamp and leveller
    Funnel
    Scales
    Upgrade for grinder for one notch
    Opv mod

I'm in deep

I use these...…

https://www.exchangecoffee.co.uk/

Fairly local to me, but had some delivered yesterday.

Excellent service and the coffee is superb.

I'm gonna go local, support a local business

Or get a commercial machine with adjustable pressure profile and pre-infusion.
    Then there is the world of lever machines to consider....

Currently living overseas (ex Devon) and went for ECM after trawling through a multitude of reviews on you tube etc. Certainly better value than a DB and should provide me with the coffee experience I want. Previous machine was a Breville (I think sold under Sage brand in UK) with grinder built in on top of the machine. Made great coffee and at around 350GBP was great value. The downside was the inability to extract and steam at the same time....otherwise I had no complaints.
    The new machine is set up and ready but was too late to be drinking coffee this evening so I will pull my first shot in the morning.....20 min warm up needed (Breville 15 secs)!!!
    Get yourself a WiFi plug, then you can set it to come on and warm up while you’re still snoozing

- - - Updated - - -

Get yourself a WiFi plug, then you can set it to come on and warm up while you’re still snoozing

Or get a commercial machine with adjustable pressure profile and pre-infusion.
    Then there is the world of lever machines to consider....
    I’ve got a pressure profiling kit to install on my ECM, haven’t got round to it yet.

But yes, levers, I keep thinking about an older Londinium, one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Gaggia Classic

PID
    SSR for steamer
    Upgraded screen
    Upgraded gasket
    Upgraded drip tray
    Upgraded baskets
    Upgraded steamer
    Upgraded portafilter
    Upgraded tamp and leveller
    Funnel
    Scales
    Upgrade for grinder for one notch
    Opv mod

I'm in deep

Quite a setup! The Classic is by far the best bang for the buck, especially with all those mods.

I’ve got a pressure profiling kit to install on my ECM, haven’t got round to it yet.

But yes, levers, I keep thinking about an older Londinium, one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite a setup! The Classic is by far the best bang for the buck, especially with all those mods.
    I do the product photography for Londinium. Been lined up to shoot the new compact machine when it’s finally ready for production but I guess that’s been delayed by recent events.

Master
    I'm in the Qatar-wol school of keeping it simple. Had this trusty old thing for many years.

It doesn't take up much space either.

I do the product photography for Londinium. Been lined up to shoot the new compact machine when it’s finally ready for production but I guess that’s been delayed by recent events.
    I’ve been looking forward to that machine for about 3 years!

Just received this through the post......

Unfortunately, rather than my ordered coffee grinder, they mistakenly sent me a Richard Sapper 9090 Caffettiera.
    No good for grinding beans me thinks!!!

Tea is more my thing, but I do like the occasional coffee.

We went from instant to cafetière to moka pot to cheap Aldi espresso machine. Recently bought a Sage Duo Temp Pro when John Lewis had them for £199. Not the last word, but a step up from the £50 Aldi unit.

Replaced the old blade grinder with a Commandante C40.

The Sage’s 54mm basket is only good for 14g of coffee (and that needs a dosing funnel), but the tried-and-tested 14g to 50ml in 25 seconds produces a brew that (to me) is as good as I’ve had anywhere.

Usually Aldi <£2 beans. Locally roasted 200° Brazilian Love Affair when I feel like treating myself.

But mostly tea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cornholio; 24th April 2020 at 15:05.

Craftsman
    I am on a subscription from these boyzz. Assorted espresso style... 5 bags a month...

https://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/

This coffee machine now.... purchased on offer at just under £500

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/produ...60w-0132215214

CBA with the faff of grinders, tampers, machine tantrums, my tantrums etc etc... bean through it several times and spent enuff to buy a quality Rolex..

I am happy with my current setup now, makes good espresso and I can steam my own milk.... easy to clean too...

Regards

V

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

Absolutely - they're entirely different things. Be thankful you think espresso and moka pot coffee are the same thing Qatar-wol: your wallet will thank you in the long run for sticking with the moka pot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Tea is more my thing, but I do like the occasional coffee.

We went from instant to cafetière to moka pot to cheap Aldi espresso machine. Recently bought a Sage Duo Temp Pro when John Lewis had them for £199. Not the last word, but a step up from the £50 Aldi unit.

Replaced the old blade grinder with a Commandante C40.

The Sage’s 54mm basket is only good for 14g of coffee (and that needs a dosing funnel), but the tried-and-tested 14g to 50ml in 25 seconds produces a brew that (to me) is as good as I’ve had anywhere.

Usually Aldi <£2 beans. Locally roasted 200° Brazilian Love Affair when I feel like treating myself.

But mostly tea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    200 quid for a DTP is ridiculous

I also have the C40, with a Red Clix upgrade, that cost £215 lol

Ok peeps - so looking for a hand grinder. Not wanting to spend too much, let's say £100 max, ideally £50-70. What are my options?

Journeyman
    Gonna try some new beans again just checked and we have 4kg of Lavazza beans in stock. It does taste good though.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Ok peeps - so looking for a hand grinder. Not wanting to spend too much, let's say £100 max, ideally £50-70. What are my options?
    For what sort of brewing method?

Made By Knock, google them

Aerogrind?

Check out James Hoffmans YouTube feed , hes reviewed entry level and higher end hand grinders