closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Coffee thread

Craftsman
    Just tried Horsham coffee roasters . Very fine. May take out a subscription and broaden my coffee horizon.

Can go a notch finer on this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ribxr2iva...81943.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Looks better then mine... :(

I got one of these this week to help with distribution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...72.m2749.l2649

In spite of what it says, it shipped from the UK and arrived in a couple of days.

Apprentice
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?

Craftsman

Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?
    Iííve used bean to cup for a long time. We bought a Sage last year and of three/four variables concerned with a great coffee you can only routinely vary the grind.

If the constants of water at 93degrees is pushed through 22grams of coffee at 9 bar over 30secs with first liquid coming through within 8-12 seconds ( the preinfusion).The variable you adjust to achieve 60ml of expresso at 30seconds is the grind.

Changing from Illy to Monmouth makes a huge difference as the oils in the beans and how the beans grind is different.

The beans need to be fresh too as older beans grind differently.

Short answer - a lot !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 21st July 2020 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post

The grinder, absolutely no question. A good even grind is the basic starting point for a decent cup of coffee.

Yep, sh1t in sh1t out

So actually the answer is the bean is more important,

In order

Freshly roasted quality bean
    Decent grinder to get consistent and fluffy grinds
    A machine that can manage temperature and pressure consistently

Master
    I find this thread enthralling. I have neither the palette or cash to invest such vast amounts, but love the dedication.

Iíve a Nesprrsso machine, and a recently added Ďnew capsuleí Nespresso which makes me appreciate the old one! The new Ďcremaí is like some form of sea / river foam, truly awful. Machine was free but not buying more capsules for it & will give away / sell.

Love to try a decent machine at some point, but my addictive style to life means I will be going at it if I did. I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!
    How much do you drink a day and what does it currently cost you?

I have 3 X 15g espressos a day, I work form home

It's about 2 quid a day

Less than one cup of rancid tea from a cafe

Iím finding Iím spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    Iím forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day

Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The difference between grinding a fresh bean and stale supermarket beans is night and day, even Taylor's

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Iím finding Iím spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    Iím forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!

Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!
    Probably about right. Iíve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    Iíve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didnít make notes of my faves. So Iím guessing again

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone found a decent fillable Nespresso pod?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Probably about right. Iíve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    Iíve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didnít make notes of my faves. So Iím guessing again
    I'm quite new to it and didn't realise how many variables there were to finding the holy grail of coffee - i'm not even sure what i like best!!

I guess there will be a lot of trial and error ahead but not sure i'll be spending £10 on a 200g bag if i can help it!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

M
    I'd suggest trying a V60 or Chemex pour over. Lighter, cleaner coffee than a cafetiere, without all the expensive cork sniffing of espresso machines. Set up is very cost effective, a Chemex or V60 jug, filter papers, a kettle and beans ground freshly.

Find a local coffee shop that also roasts their beans and try out some of their coffees. They'll grind it for you. Or if you wanted to, you can buy an excellent grinder for about £100 such as the Wilfa Svart.

Or if you don't want to stand over a jug manually pouring coffee for about four minutes, a Moccamaster Select will do it all for you.

Apprentice
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by ARC85 View Post
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.
    Biggest upgrade would be a grinder, coffee starts to go stale as soon as itís ground, a month after and itís certainly well past itís best.

Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

One hundred and thirty five?

Yeah sorry 135

Arrived at our rental cottage at Thunder Cove in Prince Edward Island. Going to try some locally roasted beans... supposedly roasted and bagged yesterday.