closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 301 to 325 of 325

Thread: Coffee thread

  1. #301
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    927
    Just tried Horsham coffee roasters . Very fine. May take out a subscription and broaden my coffee horizon.

  2. #302
    Can go a notch finer on this one

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ribxr2iva...81943.mp4?dl=0

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  3. #303
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Delft
    Posts
    56
    Looks better then mine... :(

  4. #304
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    2,103
    I got one of these this week to help with distribution.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...72.m2749.l2649

    In spite of what it says, it shipped from the UK and arrived in a couple of days.

  5. #305
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    10
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

    Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?

  6. #306
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    432

    Coffee thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

    Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?
    Iííve used bean to cup for a long time. We bought a Sage last year and of three/four variables concerned with a great coffee you can only routinely vary the grind.

    If the constants of water at 93degrees is pushed through 22grams of coffee at 9 bar over 30secs with first liquid coming through within 8-12 seconds ( the preinfusion).The variable you adjust to achieve 60ml of expresso at 30seconds is the grind.

    Changing from Illy to Monmouth makes a huge difference as the oils in the beans and how the beans grind is different.

    The beans need to be fresh too as older beans grind differently.

    Short answer - a lot !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 21st July 2020 at 18:37.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

    Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?
    The grinder, absolutely no question. A good even grind is the basic starting point for a decent cup of coffee.

  8. #308
    Yep, sh1t in sh1t out

    So actually the answer is the bean is more important,

    In order

    Freshly roasted quality bean
    Decent grinder to get consistent and fluffy grinds
    A machine that can manage temperature and pressure consistently

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  9. #309
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,103
    I find this thread enthralling. I have neither the palette or cash to invest such vast amounts, but love the dedication.

    Iíve a Nesprrsso machine, and a recently added Ďnew capsuleí Nespresso which makes me appreciate the old one! The new Ďcremaí is like some form of sea / river foam, truly awful. Machine was free but not buying more capsules for it & will give away / sell.

    Love to try a decent machine at some point, but my addictive style to life means I will be going at it if I did. I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #310
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!
    How much do you drink a day and what does it currently cost you?

  11. #311
    I have 3 X 15g espressos a day, I work form home

    It's about 2 quid a day

    Less than one cup of rancid tea from a cafe

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  12. #312
    Iím finding Iím spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    Iím forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day

  13. #313
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,543
    Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

    I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

    I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

    Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  14. #314
    The difference between grinding a fresh bean and stale supermarket beans is night and day, even Taylor's

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  15. #315
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Iím finding Iím spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    Iím forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

    Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

    Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!
    Probably about right. Iíve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    Iíve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didnít make notes of my faves. So Iím guessing again

  17. #317
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Has anyone found a decent fillable Nespresso pod?

  18. #318
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Probably about right. Iíve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    Iíve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didnít make notes of my faves. So Iím guessing again
    I'm quite new to it and didn't realise how many variables there were to finding the holy grail of coffee - i'm not even sure what i like best!!

    I guess there will be a lot of trial and error ahead but not sure i'll be spending £10 on a 200g bag if i can help it!!

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

    I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

    I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

    Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

    M
    I'd suggest trying a V60 or Chemex pour over. Lighter, cleaner coffee than a cafetiere, without all the expensive cork sniffing of espresso machines. Set up is very cost effective, a Chemex or V60 jug, filter papers, a kettle and beans ground freshly.

    Find a local coffee shop that also roasts their beans and try out some of their coffees. They'll grind it for you. Or if you wanted to, you can buy an excellent grinder for about £100 such as the Wilfa Svart.

    Or if you don't want to stand over a jug manually pouring coffee for about four minutes, a Moccamaster Select will do it all for you.

  20. #320
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    9
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

    However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.

  21. #321
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC85 View Post
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

    However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.
    Biggest upgrade would be a grinder, coffee starts to go stale as soon as itís ground, a month after and itís certainly well past itís best.

  22. #322
    Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

    Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

    Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

    You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  23. #323
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

    Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

    Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

    You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
    One hundred and thirty five?

  24. #324
    Yeah sorry 135

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  25. #325
    Craftsman canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    658
    Arrived at our rental cottage at Thunder Cove in Prince Edward Island. Going to try some locally roasted beans... supposedly roasted and bagged yesterday.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information