closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio Full Metal Square G-Shock

Casio Full Metal Square G-Shock

Quite fancy one of these - choice is between the 3 below. I know you can get the same module a lot cheaper but the build quality looks very high on the Japan made versions.

My preference is for the resin strap version as I do not like negative displays and I think the all metal positive display may be too bling for me. I’ve also read that the bracelet does not fit great on a small wrist (mine is 6.75 inches).

I already own a M5610 and a DW5600e and I like the understated look. Reason I fancy this module as it appears to be a solar atomic version of the DW5600e which has great features like time in each mode etc. This one has the added benefit of a UK date format.

What do our resident G-shock experts think? Anybody owned all 3?

Cheers

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my four. I love them, very comfortable on my wirst, although an inch larger than yours. I think people get too tied up in the lug-to-lug of these on the bracelet, they really do curve down dramatically.

On the bling, yeah, the gold and even the steel is a LOT for some but the black is much more under the radar. There's no getting away from the fact that a positive display is easier to read than negative but the negative is still good. A lot better than some of the Gs with smaller displays, stuff like the bog-standard G-100-1BV.

I'm more about bracelets than rubber/resin especially on the metal Gs where I think it just looks much more coherent than a stab of metal suddenly changing to rubber.

Many thanks for the comprehensive response. My slight fear is if I buy the resin version but want a bracelet later. I know the golden rule is always buy the bracelet version.

I’ve heard the negative displays on these are excellent and very readable in all conditions. Would you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post

I’ve heard the negative displays on these are excellent and very readable in all conditions. Would you agree?
    No.

They are inarguably less easy to read than the positive versions. When the light drops a bit you'll have to angle it differently to catch the light or use the light on the watch. Not a huge issue. Or simply turn on the auto light, it activates when you turn the wrist towards yourself but I prefer to leave it off.

Thanks again - I always prefer the positive display so that confirms it even on these metal versions. Decisions decisions - looks like I have to go bling if I want a bracelet!!

I have the GMW-5000D on a resin strap, though I do also have the bracelet for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bracelet, you can get one for £68, the resin strap can be got now for £20, they used to be a heck of a lot more.

If you shop around you could get the watch with both bands for around £360 - £375. Not a bad price for a pretty great watch.

I have also played around with creating full metal G Shocks, using a vintage model and an unusual red and blue watch.

Mitch

I have the GMW-B5000D-1ER, love it.

To be honest, I have never understood having a negative lcd display on any watch. Always seemed to me, to be a piece of engineering specifically designed to make a legible digital display, illegible.

I recently picked up the Full Metal version and would have to say that I’’ve been very impressed so far.
    The bracelet fits my 7.5” wrist a treat and is one of the easiest to adjust.
    Having been away from digital watches for quite some time i was slightly apprehensive about the Bluetooth connection but it it was very intuitive to use - taking me back to the Casio watches of my youth!
    All told a brilliant piece of kit

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have the GMW-5000D on a resin strap, though I do also have the bracelet for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bracelet, you can get one for £68, the resin strap can be got now for £20, they used to be a heck of a lot more.

If you shop around you could get the watch with both bands for around £360 - £375. Not a bad price for a pretty great watch.

I have also played around with creating full metal G Shocks, using a vintage model and an unusual red and blue watch.

Mitch
    Thanks Mitch. Where do you source your bracelets? I’m thinking of going for the resin strap version and adding an all black metal strap later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    I have the GMW-B5000D-1ER, love it.

To be honest, I have never understood having a negative lcd display on any watch. Always seemed to me, to be a piece of engineering specifically designed to make a legible digital display, illegible.
    That's my thinking too!

I recently picked up the Full Metal version and would have to say that I’’ve been very impressed so far.
    The bracelet fits my 7.5” wrist a treat and is one of the easiest to adjust.
    Having been away from digital watches for quite some time i was slightly apprehensive about the Bluetooth connection but it it was very intuitive to use - taking me back to the Casio watches of my youth!
    All told a brilliant piece of kit.

Cheers adg31.

I must say in photographs the Full metal version looks amazing and your photograph is no exception. Might be too much for me though.
    Last edited by rushroon; 22nd April 2020 at 14:52.

I bought my daughter one of the resin ones with the same module and then decided to get the steel one for myself to have a play. I was genuinely thinking I'd move it on in a couple of days but it's stuck with me. It's firmly in the 'keepers' box now.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I bought my daughter one of the resin ones with the same module and then decided to get the steel one for myself to have a play. I was genuinely thinking I'd move it on in a couple of days but it's stuck with me. It's firmly in the 'keepers' box now.
    Normally I would buy the cheaper version with the same module but there is something pulling me in with the metal variety - they look a real step up in quality.

Thanks Mitch. Where do you source your bracelets? I’m thinking of going for the resin strap version and adding an all black metal strap later.

The resin strap can be found here.

https://www.watchway.co.uk/product-p...-band-10591656

The bracelet here.

https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/cgi-b...10565787.shtml

Mitch

Great Mitch - very helpful of you - cheers!

I really like these but unfortunately had to return mine due to my slender wrist and the bracelet overhanging. I think the resin strap would solve the ‘problem’ for me though.

Craftsman
    I have the bracelet version. Do you need adapters for the resin strap or is it an easy swap out?

OP, you can also get parts directly from Casio UK if you give them a ring. They’re entirely happy to supply bracelets and bezels.

If you find the full steel a bit blingy, there are a few folks who can bead-blast it for a different finish; I’ve had great results doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    I have the bracelet version. Do you need adapters for the resin strap or is it an easy swap out?
    The resin strap is a straight swap. You can also get adapters from jaysandkays on Etsy which give the watch ordinary 20mm lugs - it looks great on a GGB on NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I really like these but unfortunately had to return mine due to my slender wrist and the bracelet overhanging. I think the resin strap would solve the ‘problem’ for me though.
    This is the reason I am veering towards the strap version in the first instance. Can I ask your wrist size?

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    OP, you can also get parts directly from Casio UK if you give them a ring. They’re entirely happy to supply bracelets and bezels.

If you find the full steel a bit blingy, there are a few folks who can bead-blast it for a different finish; I’ve had great results doing that.
    Good to know - thanks

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. Also have you come across anyone who can blue the steel of the watch as a service? Seen a picture somewhere and it looks great

The resin strap is a straight swap. You can also get adapters from jaysandkays on Etsy which give the watch ordinary 20mm lugs - it looks great on a GGB on NATO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Here are my four...
    Great job on the "patina" version, might have a go at one myself.

Tiktox were actually cheaper than Casio direct for the last two things I enquired about.

Not always the case though

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks for the info. Also have you come across anyone who can blue the steel of the watch as a service? Seen a picture somewhere and it looks great
    I’m not sure about blueing as a service - sorry. But Papa Hotel did a pretty damn good patinating job on one of his, if you like the well-worn look. And Paul from Tempus Watch Mods does a great line in “battle worn” cerakote (pics attached - it’s “Combat Grey” over “Aluminium” and then distressed before being baked to harden the cerakote). I’m a little in love with it TBH.

Oh, and acg is correct: tiktox are another great source for parts.

Last edited by PreacherCain; 22nd April 2020 at 19:03.

Craftsman
    Wow those pictures are class. I'd be seriously tempted

This is the reason I am veering towards the strap version in the first instance. Can I ask your wrist size?

6.5”. Although I guess it would depend on wrist shape as well. There wasn’t much in it just a bit of overhang of the ‘endlinks’ and I really can’t wear a watch like that. It’s the same reason I sold my Speedy a few years ago. Although I wish I’d hung onto that and stuck it on a Nato!

I just bought one last week and I love it. I wasn't sure as I have really slim wrist at 6.25" but since it's a GShock, guess I could get away with it.
    I'm tempted to get another.

Too bling for a run?

6.5”. Although I guess it would depend on wrist shape as well. There wasn’t much in it just a bit of overhang of the ‘endlinks’ and I really can’t wear a watch like that. It’s the same reason I sold my Speedy a few years ago. Although I wish I’d hung onto that and stuck it on a Nato!
    Thanks. My speedy is just on the limit so I may get away with it. If I was going for the metal g bracelet option I may have to try it on first.

Master
    Mine on rubber strap and cerakote bezel (as you can see from bezel orientation, I'm from parallel universe)

No mention of the titanium model - I have the all black model. I guess no surprise given the much higher cost over steel. But I really enjoy the stealth look and the DLC is holding up excellently - no surface blemishes yet. Steel had a few issues for me - the weight was a little on the uncomfortable side and the IP doesn't hold up that well in the coloured finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Mine on rubber strap and cerakote bezel (as you can see from bezel orientation, I'm from parallel universe)

Looks like the entire case is Cerakote.

What does the Bluetooth do on these?

I really like the black metal negative display version.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    What does the Bluetooth do on these?

I really like the black metal negative display version.
    It allows you to do things like format how the date is shown, how the battery is doing, what cities you show for the various time zones as per the screenshot below.
    You can also geo-tag your location.
    Not sure if it adds too much but fun to play with; also not sure if it will be futureproofed against Bluetooth upgrades so may be better to have the older style of battery display?

Last edited by adg31; 24th April 2020 at 07:43.

Great, thank you

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Here are my four. I love them, very comfortable on my wirst, although an inch larger than yours. I think people get too tied up in the lug-to-lug of these on the bracelet, they really do curve down dramatically.

On the bling, yeah, the gold and even the steel is a LOT for some but the black is much more under the radar. There's no getting away from the fact that a positive display is easier to read than negative but the negative is still good. A lot better than some of the Gs with smaller displays, stuff like the bog-standard G-100-1BV.

I'm more about bracelets than rubber/resin especially on the metal Gs where I think it just looks much more coherent than a stab of metal suddenly changing to rubber.
    What’s the one second from the left?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capewell899 View Post

That is the very rare..blow torch scorched metal limited edition.

I found the same issue despite the Gw5000 fitting perfectly.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Very rare Apocalypse Fire edition.

All these talk made me get my one of mine out.

I also have the black one with negative display. Am not sure which one I prefer.
    Looking for adaptors, so I can play around with straps.

Master

It's the Covid-19 limited edition.

Look what's just turned up.

Been wanting one for ages but been saving up for a 40th blow out watch. That's on hold now so this is my mini belated 40th birthday present.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mine arrived today.

Love it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

.... and 8 hours later enjoying a negroni in the garden. Got to say the bracelet for me is spot on. 2 links off both sides and 2nd notch on the micro adjust, perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This thread has got me liking the all gold...I have the original and the steel..but tempted...

Craftsman
    Perfect watch for me for around the house weekend work etc

This thread has made me buy the stainless steel this morning. Partly because this site is like watch catnip to me but also because watchshop had it 25% off.

Looking forward to getting it, wiping it down obsessively with Dettol and putting it on.