closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Protreks and G Shocks

Craftsman

Protreks and G Shocks

I have had a Protrek for about 6 years and love it. Goes with me on holiday and to various sporting activities.

I see there is quite a surge in G Shock interest on this and other parts of the internet.

Is there anything a G Shock offers that the protrek doesn't? I'm thinking more in terms of robustness of the watch.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who owns, or has owned both.

I note on the Casio website that they still manufacture the Protrek. I was under the impression that the apparent popularity of the G Shock might sound the death knell for the Protrek. Hope not.

Thanks.

I think it is mainly marketing. The introduction of the Rangeman seemed to be a game changer for Casio and they have massively expanded their sensor enabled G Shock range since due to the huge success of the model.

Protreks are 100m WR compared to 200m for G Shocks. I doubt they would perform very differently really though if tested.

On shock and damage resistance and G Shocks tend to have more protection for the crystal, they both have 'floating' modules though. In the past the curved resin straps of the G Shocks would add to the shock resistance if dropped but recently Casio has been issuing more and more G Shocks with bracelets and non curved straps. So I assume Casio are satisfied that they can still be 10 meter drop resistant, I think it likely most Pro Treks would be little different.

I certainly would be happy playing watch conkers with any of these!

Mitch

Master
    My protreak PRW2500 is 200m WR

Master
    I have 5 or 6 G-Shocks and one Protrek, but in terms of robustness - while I suspect that the Gs are probably a bit more sturdy and reliable in that respect, it's not a real world difference for me.

Master
    Got my Protrek PRW6100fc a few years ago and is my daily beater.

Tried the recent Casio Rangeman GPS but far too big...my protrek is perfect for me.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your opinions gents.

mjc1216 that is a very nice looking watch.

I checked the Casio website today and they still make the Protreks. They look great, but it seems the G Shock is the poster girl for this style of watch (nothing wrong with that)- Just wonder if there is room in the market for both types, long term?

Pro Trek has been neglected by Casio for some time. Not much innovation or release of new models. This seems to be over. Modules are now shared on G-Shock and Pro Trek models. More new models are released now.
    While G-Shock is marketed by Casio more as fashion, with lots of colour, while keeping the tough image Pro Trek is using G-Shock tech in a less colourful tripple sensor package.
    G-Shock is marketed as fun and tough, Pro Trek as serious and adventurous.
    I like Pro Trek for the bigger dispays, with bigger digits on the all digital models.
    G-Shock sales of the negative display models are high, and most Pro Treks seem to be ana-digi these days.

Sent from my Aquaris V with Tapatalk using a small keypad and declining eyesight!