closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show us your mountain bike...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I think you've posted that on the wrong thread!!!
    Ha, ha.

It does have pedals but to be honest I’m probably not putting in the required effort on my rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Yep the whole Bird experience was good. Phoned them up and headed down for a test ride. Geometry has changed a lot since the Enduro - mine was the monocoque one - but the ride on this is brill.
    Wasn’t sure about the 1x12 gears, although the big ring came off the Spec early doors to be replaced with a bash ring. It’s not that I went slow downhill, it more that the bb was low and the big rig was alloy... Having ridden it a bit now 1x12 works, although I do sometimes find myself out of gears at the fast end.
    Dropper post seems a bit like a solution to a problem I don’t have, so I haven’t put one on. I never needed one in the Enduro, and we did all sorts of stupid on that.

Dave
    I am loving the sram 1x12...
    If you see a deal on a dropper then do consider one, they are great. It will get used. I couldn't go back to not having one!

Picked this up for my boy on the weekend...fantastic condition for it’s age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Yep the whole Bird experience was good. Phoned them up and headed down for a test ride. Geometry has changed a lot since the Enduro - mine was the monocoque one - but the ride on this is brill.
    Wasn’t sure about the 1x12 gears, although the big ring came off the Spec early doors to be replaced with a bash ring. It’s not that I went slow downhill, it more that the bb was low and the big rig was alloy... Having ridden it a bit now 1x12 works, although I do sometimes find myself out of gears at the fast end.
    Dropper post seems a bit like a solution to a problem I don’t have, so I haven’t put one on. I never needed one in the Enduro, and we did all sorts of stupid on that.

Dave
    I got a full suss bike recently (see my post above), having not had once since a 2004 Spec Enduro. Full suspension has changed a lot since then - weight, stiffness, bike feel. The dropper has also been a game changer for me too.

My problem with the Enduro was dropping the post risked damaging the shock body, even with the bumper you got for the shock body.

I haven’t bought a bike for years I can’t justify it 

I still have these (modded quite a bit over the years) they still work better than me. 

Can't compete with most in here but here's mine. Matching Specialized grips and pedals with the suspension as tight as possible and as close to road tyres as I could get. Enjoying Strava on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can't compete with most in here but here's mine. Matching Specialized grips and pedals with the suspension as tight as possible and as close to road tyres as I could get. Enjoying Strava on it.
    That plastic shield in your back wheel is a good idea if you're spraying any sort of cleaner onto the cassette.
    Haven't seen them for years.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    That plastic shield in your back wheel is a good idea if you're spraying any sort of cleaner onto the cassette.
    Haven't seen them for years.
    It was originally transparent but has aged over the years. Quite hard to find a replacement as everyone seems to take them off due to being called 'dork disks'. I have a new chain and cassette coming this week so we'll see if it's still on by Saturday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It was originally transparent but has aged over the years. Quite hard to find a replacement as everyone seems to take them off due to being called 'dork disks'. I have a new chain and cassette coming this week so we'll see if it's still on by Saturday.
    Hahaha I can remember throwing them away for that reason but since then I've made guards out of whatever's in my shed when I've been spraying Gt85 or Muckoff.
    I don't use my bikes as much these days as my boy (staffie) and his walks come first, but.....
    since sales of bikes have rocketed I've noticed quite a few wheel and pedal reflectors lying on the trails

Master
    Hahaha I can remember throwing them away for that reason but since then I've made guards out of whatever's in my shed when I've been spraying Gt85 or Muckoff.
    I don't use my bikes as much these days as my boy (staffie) and his walks come first, but.....
    since sales of bikes have rocketed I've noticed quite a few wheel and pedal reflectors lying on the trails

I always thought they were there to stop the chain going into the spokes if your rear mech over shifted past the big ring.

I’ve always removed them anyway, don’t like the looks, although I may well be a dork! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

I still have these (modded quite a bit over the years) they still work better than me. 

Great looking set of Turner bikes there!
    I have a really nice old RFX frame sitting at home - thinking of building it up for my son, but can't decide if it's going to be too small for him or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I always thought they were there to stop the chain going into the spokes if your rear mech over shifted past the big ring.

I’ve always removed them anyway, don’t like the looks, although I may well be a dork! :)
    Yeah that's the real reason they're onalthough I can't remember a chain slipping off the biggest or smallest cog

Craftsman

Just lovely, always remember drooling over the Turner 5 spot but sadly could never afford at the time 😭

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Just lovely, always remember drooling over the Turner 5 spot but sadly could never afford at the time ðŸ˜*
    They look like they have modern relaxed geometry at the front end.
    I've seen some cracking bikes lately including the Whyte 905 which I always thought of getting.
    I've also seen some that've obviously been dragged from the back of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Great looking set of Turner bikes there!
    I have a really nice old RFX frame sitting at home - thinking of building it up for my son, but can't decide if it's going to be too small for him or not.
    Cheers (used to sell them)
    Build it with him, then he will be able to maintain it.

Just lovely, always remember drooling over the Turner 5 spot but sadly could never afford at the time 
    They were not cheap at the time, but bikes are dearer still now.

Things have moved on in some respects, but the the geo is still great and the bushes, rather than bearings last for ages.
    Getting old now, seriously tempted by the new ebikes.

Master

Things have moved on in some respects, but the the geo is still great and the bushes, rather than bearings last for ages.
    Every other Ebike I see is a cube, hardtail and/or full suss.
    They must be good.

Craftsman
    They look like they have modern relaxed geometry at the front end.
    I've seen some cracking bikes lately including the Whyte 905 which I always thought of getting.

I know what you mean, I'm looking at getting a hardtail and getting rid of my suss bike, the Whyte 905 really looks nice in pictures

Craftsman

Would still go for a Turner now, the look so sexy :)

I bought a KTM enduro bike last year, 7k, I've seen full sus mtb bikes for similar price, crazy

I know what you mean, I'm looking at getting a hardtail and getting rid of my suss bike, the Whyte 905 really looks nice in pictures
    Just bought the Mrs a Whyte 905, and it’s such a great bike. If I wasn’t trying to get the best use out of my own 10 year old bike (GT Zaskar Carbon) I’d take a serious look at one for myself.
    It's just a matter of time...

My DH rig from early 00’s, long since gone. A Karpiel Disco Volante. Solid and bombproof!

My mid-90’s Titanium Red. I think the frame alone cost £699!

Tempted to get the Titanium Red in full on retro loveliness with some Magura hydraulics, Pace RC35/36, full XTR, Middleburn cranks, Hope titanium hubs etc etc. Basically all the bits I drooled over in MBUK but couldn’t afford when I was 15!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just bought the Mrs a Whyte 905, and it’s such a great bike. If I wasn’t trying to get the best use out of my own 10 year old bike (GT Zaskar Carbon) I’d take a serious look at one for myself.
    GT Zaskar, a classic in its own right

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My DH rig from early 00’s, long since gone. A Karpiel Disco Volante. Solid and bombproof!

Tempted to get the Titanium Red in full on retro loveliness with some Magura hydraulics, Pace RC35/36, full XTR, Middleburn cranks, Hope titanium hubs etc etc. Basically all the bits I drooled over in MBUK but couldn’t afford when I was 15!
    As the phrase goes, “ just do it” lots of those bits are still available, just 3 months ago I put a single speed Orange Prestige in the skip with Blue Magura’s ( the frame had corroded through)

What model is the white Turner one...?
    Goes off to search eBay/internet...!!!

Love the Turners!
    I still have a DHR that is on long term loan to a mate. It feels very short these days, but I had a boxy DHR, then a Santa Cruz V10, Foes Mono (2:1) and then went back to the same DHR as yours. They rode so well ! The Foes has the steepest head angle ever and was pretty horrible to ride.

My Ancient Raleigh M-Trax

It hasn't seen a mountain for a while but it's still pretty good on a gravel track.

Master

I still have a titanium DBR Axis TT which I bought new in 1996 and last upgraded in 2000 with Pace RC36, middleburn cranks, Hope hydro disc brake conversion etc!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    All great bikes on here. Wish I still had some pics of my old Zaskar LE which was my first serious MTB.
    Anyway, my daughters current sqeeze needs a low cost but halfway decent MTB if anyone knows of anything going. He just missed out on second hand Trek Marlin 5 that Leisure Lakes had in stock for £315, which I reckon was damn cheap.
    Give me a pm if you got or know of anything ideally Midlands.

Master
    I saw another Whyte 905 yesterday on the West Pennine Moor but don't think it was a new one as it didn't have the wider tyres that they have now.
    What does your missus think of it ??
    I bought my missus a Trek 4300 then a Rockhopper years ago.
    I was glad she didn't want the full suss i was going to get her as her interest waned shortly after a Manchester-Blackpool run

That Karpiel is lovely! I used to have a poster of this model on my wall, I thihk Josh Bender or one of those early freeride pioneers used to ride for Karpiel

Still love looking at these hucking great DH rigs, I had a Mountain Cycle Shockwave and used to race across the country for a small local team.

Now I'm one of those lycra clad Road riders, the old me would be so disappointed

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

I saw another Whyte 905 yesterday on the West Pennine Moor but don't think it was a new one as it didn't have the wider tyres that they have now.
    What does your missus think of it ??
    I bought my missus a Trek 4300 then a Rockhopper years ago.
    I was glad she didn't want the full suss i was going to get her as her interest waned shortly after a Manchester-Blackpool run

Well... she finds the riding position very comfortable, but found the seat hard and was a little sore after the first long ride lol (But she hadn’t been on a bike ride for over 12 months), and I have a nice sprung gel seat on my own bike, so I felt a little guilty. She loves it, loves the looks and the big tyres, and finds the dropper post very useful. Her daughter has said she’d like something the same (I think more for the look of the 27.5+ tyres) but I’m not buying another 905 as a present just yet. I’m very impressed with it. It’s a 2019 bike that looks like new, was hardly used and I picked it up fir less than 50% of list, so I’m happy, as she was looking at just buying a cheaper new bike.

Master
    Well... she finds the riding position very comfortable, but found the seat hard and was a little sore after the first long ride lol (But she hadn’t been on a bike ride for over 12 months), and I have a nice sprung gel seat on my own bike, so I felt a little guilty. She loves it, loves the looks and the big tyres, and finds the dropper post very useful. Her daughter has said she’d like something the same (I think more for the look of the 27.5+ tyres) but I’m not buying another 905 as a present just yet. I’m very impressed with it. It’s a 2019 bike that looks like new, was hardly used and I picked it up fir less than 50% of list, so I’m happy, as she was looking at just buying a cheaper new bike.
    50% off you did well there.
    You hardly even see many on Ebay especially since the coronavirus bike boom.
    Does she do clipless or platform pedals ??

Just platform pedals. I use platform pedals with an open cage on my own bike, as I never got used to clip in pedals especially off-road when I had my foot out a lot of the time lol. It was probably a lot closer to 60% off. Just a crazily good deal locally, right size etc. we got lucky - and I made an offer, which was accepted, so all happy.

Master
    Just platform pedals. I use platform pedals with an open cage on my own bike, as I never got used to clip in pedals especially off-road when I had my foot out a lot of the time lol. It was probably a lot closer to 60% off. Just a crazily good deal locally, right size etc. we got lucky - and I made an offer, which was accepted, so all happy.
    I have clipless on my cobbled together ex mtb but never got used to them off road, even with the 50/50 clipless/platform type.
    So its grippy pedals and 5tens.
    The fact that bike sales have rocketed makes your purchase look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    That Karpiel is lovely! I used to have a poster of this model on my wall, I thihk Josh Bender or one of those early freeride pioneers used to ride for Karpiel

Still love looking at these hucking great DH rigs, I had a Mountain Cycle Shockwave and used to race across the country for a small local team.

Now I'm one of those lycra clad Road riders, the old me would be so disappointed

It was quite something! I’d occasionally ride into town (Cambridge) on it when I lived in Grantchester...I think I wasted half my effort as the pedalling was absorbed my the massive front and rear travel! Really only any good for coming down...fast! The Titanium Red on the other hand was light was a whippet! When first built my uncle lent me his front wheel which was titanium spokes on a titanium Hope hub...unfortunately he wanted it back once he built me another!

My uncle and his mates were well in to the scene (still is) and there were lots of cracking retro bikes in my youth. One had the square framed Pace with RC35, another had an Orange all top end components. I always listed after the Zasker LE though after seeing it on the front of MBUK so often! I also remember going down to Olympia for Bike 95 and Bike 96...happy days.

Master
    It was quite something! I’d occasionally ride into town (Cambridge) on it when I lived in Grantchester...I think I wasted half my effort as the pedalling was absorbed my the massive front and rear travel! Really only any good for coming down...fast! The Titanium Red on the other hand was light was a whippet! When first built my uncle lent me his front wheel which was titanium spokes on a titanium Hope hub...unfortunately he wanted it back once he built me another!

My uncle and his mates were well in to the scene (still is) and there were lots of cracking retro bikes in my youth. One had the square framed Pace with RC35, another had an Orange all top end components. I always listed after the Zasker LE though after seeing it on the front of MBUK so often! I also remember going down to Olympia for Bike 95 and Bike 96...happy days.
    I remember those Pace with the square frames and one of my biked has Pace Carbon fibre rigid forks that weigh about the same as a drinking straw

Master
    Went out with my brother today on my Boardman mountain bike as I hadn’t seen him for weeks(usually take my hybrid)
    He’s converted his trick cannondale to battery power- we managed 20 miles mainly on Road with a few bridalways
    Garmin says I easily ‘earnt’ A few G&T’s tonight
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Back when I was very into my Xc mountain biking when 10miles a day on challenging terrain weekdays and 40+ miles on a Saturday was an average week my weapon of choice was this.

A now very sadly neglected Thorn Raven Enduro with Rohloff gear hub, hope mini monos, fox forks and lots of other nice bits.
    My peak was a 3 day Whitehaven to Sunderland Coast to Coast with 2 mates. Sadly I rediscovered women once my riding has whittled my 150kg body down to sub 100kg and a particularly bad one put me in the road to ruin once more.

Thanks to lockdown cancelling a planned holiday and other stars aligning I’m getting back into things with this new Voodoo Hoodoo. Rather nice bit of kit for the money. Nowhere near the ride of the thorn but I’d need to spend more than the voodoos price tag to get it back on the road.
    Distance is up to about 2 miles on tame local trails but I’m determined to get back to where I was.

Just put a high rise stem on it and adjusted where the brakes and shifter is so I can pedal without having to exhale as my gut gets in the way lol. Need to get some larger pedals for my size 12 clown feet and it should be all good.

Top man, congratulations being back in the saddle, its a great way to lose weight and get outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Back when I was very into my Xc mountain biking when 10miles a day on challenging terrain weekdays and 40+ miles on a Saturday was an average week my weapon of choice was this.

A now very sadly neglected Thorn Raven Enduro with Rohloff gear hub, hope mini monos, fox forks and lots of other nice bits.
    My peak was a 3 day Whitehaven to Sunderland Coast to Coast with 2 mates. Sadly I rediscovered women once my riding has whittled my 150kg body down to sub 100kg and a particularly bad one put me in the road to ruin once more.

Thanks to lockdown cancelling a planned holiday and other stars aligning I’m getting back into things with this new Voodoo Hoodoo. Rather nice bit of kit for the money. Nowhere near the ride of the thorn but I’d need to spend more than the voodoos price tag to get it back on the road.
    Distance is up to about 2 miles on tame local trails but I’m determined to get back to where I was.

Just put a high rise stem on it and adjusted where the brakes and shifter is so I can pedal without having to exhale as my gut gets in the way lol. Need to get some larger pedals for my size 12 clown feet and it should be all good.

Here are mine... an On*One Parkwood and a Titus El Guapo 29...

Master
    Thought it’s time I shared mine.

2015 Canondale Trigger Carbon 2
    More bike than I’ll ever need but so much fun on the downs and easy to peddle on the up’s

Smashed out a quick 15 miles around the Monarchs way today

N+1...

Giant XTC Carbon 29’er 2012 Quicker on the ups than Trigger great for all day xc rides, not as much fun on the downs though

Bitza on a inbred 29’er frame - winter hack/loaner

Can’t mind road bike/pub bike

Master
    I need to get focused on clearing my garage and getting back onto two wheels. In the middle of the chaos is my very old merida aluminium mtb, from 1989, with no suspension at all. Don't know if I would trust the integrity of the frame now?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I put this together years ago its a little over 10.5kg

Journeyman
    Just spotted this thread, my latest, hopefully a return to mountain biking.IMG_3158.JPG

My 2018 (but only just bought by me) specialized Chisel is my first XC bike and also my first 29er. Took her out last Sunday and managed 26km. Absolutely fell in love with the bike and hopefully will be back out on her tomorrow for another 25/30km. An absolute steal of a rrp (£1200 odd) and is a rocket ship..I could of bought a newer version but the colour ways were a bit too bright (bright blues) and they only now come in a 1x geartrain. This was the first chisel and came with a 2x geartrain. Anyhow...here she is...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    My 2018 (but only just bought by me) specialized Chisel is my first XC bike and also my first 29er. Took her out last Sunday and managed 26km. Absolutely fell in love with the bike and hopefully will be back out on her tomorrow for another 25/30km. An absolute steal of a rrp (£1200 odd) and is a rocket ship..I could of bought a newer version but the colour ways were a bit too bright (bright blues) and they only now come in a 1x geartrain. This was the first chisel and came with a 2x geartrain. Anyhow...here she is...

Nice bike, what sort of terrain were you covering on your 26km outing

Nice bike, what sort of terrain were you covering on your 26km outing
    Took the train into London, and rode home so all tarmac. First proper ride in about 10 years! The XC bike handled really well considering it’s home is on the trails...(oh and I only managed 25km not 26!)

Craftsman
    Would still go for a Turner now, the look so sexy :)

I bought a KTM enduro bike last year, 7k, I've seen full sus mtb bikes for similar price, crazy
    I think some of the increase in price is the tech you are paying for. Similar to the enduro/MX market you mention . MX bikes have tech advances like launch control but as a result cost more and more.

Craftsman
    Took the train into London, and rode home so all tarmac. First proper ride in about 10 years! The XC bike handled really well considering it’s home is on the trails...(oh and I only managed 25km not 26!)

Thanks that's great feedback, was hoping there might have been some road work involved as in the process of looking for a 29er and have been mainly doing road work with my girlfriend who has a hybrid. I can keep up with her so don't mind using a mountain bike also believe a 29er will handle better than my 26" so happy days if that's the case

That looks lovely. If you're that far from home I'd want a seat bag with some essentials in. I don't like the 2021 colours for specialized either but couldn't find a 2020 model anywhere. I bought the new Bontrager medium seat bag and would thoroughly recommend.