closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendations for a new Mountain Bike

Master

Recommendations for a new Mountain Bike

Morning all, I know there's a few keen bikers on here so thought I'd ask the question. With all of this lock down going on I've dusted off the old Specialized Rockhopper (expert) and have been getting out and about around the coastal routes and trails near my house - it's been enjoyable but I'm now thinking of an upgrade to a full suspension bike but I'm well out of the know nowadays so was looking for some advice.
    I'd like to go pre-owned and less than £1000 - will this get me something half decent or should I just get the old war horse serviced and be done with it : )

If this is still for sale, if it's the right size for you and if it can be delivered/collected within 'social distancing' guidelines, it's a bit of a bargain: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...or-sale-%A3780

I don't need another bike but kept looking at it 'pre-Covid'.

Master
    I'm just too many 100's of miles away for that one I think - like the look of it though : 0

Coincidence you've just posted this as yesterday I gave my Rockhopper (2003) a service. It's been a brilliant bike, done 100's miles, CtoC, Brecons, Wye valley, South Downs, Yorkshire Moors, Bristol to Bath.
    Just got front suspension.
    Never any trouble over the years, if I upgraded it would be for a Stumpjumper👍

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    If this is still for sale, if it's the right size for you and if it can be delivered/collected within 'social distancing' guidelines, it's a bit of a bargain: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...or-sale-%A3780

I don't need another bike but kept looking at it 'pre-Covid'.
    Thanks mate. I sold it off forum

Master
    This bike is generally regarded as one of the best new full suspension bikes around the £1k price point, comes recommended in lots of group tests.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1590368...-bike-15903684

£1k will get you something decent secondhand. I'd recommend 120-140mm both ends, depending on what you're doing - probably a good place to start.

Try here:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...travel=120,130

Forgot to say, aim for 27.5 or 29" wheels and 1x drivetrain, geometry has progressed quite a lot in the last couple of years. 27.5 will make it easy to upgrade later down the line, should you need to.

Master
    At a bag I’d say most bikes will be much of a muchness, some might be more prone to cracking rear triangle or bottom brackets etc but google will be your friend on any individual foibles.

What would be of more interest to me is how old, how much use, what’s the history - has it been well serviced.

Some shocks and forks have surprisingly short service durations 50-100 hours in some cases, have the pivot bearings ever been changed, what’s the bb bearings like, are the hub bearings or chain set on there way out?

Not wanting to sound overwhelming negative just trying to point out that buying a s/h fs bike is more nuanced than other bikes.

Best bet is to find one that has only been ridden a handful of times and then stored in the garage.

And a full suspension bike will be generally significantly heavier than a hardtail.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Of course, N+1 is the correct number of bikes to own, but do you really need a full-susser ?

You'd get a better spec of kit on a £1000 hardtail 29er with tubeless and a dropper post. Climbing is much more fun on a lighter bike. You could grab something new like this for £1k.

Check this out - if you're not riding anything more severe than that, then I'd question the need... I have a carbon framed XC 29er and I chicken out of drops long before my bike will !
    https://youtu.be/8R_1klVXNbk

Shame that Giant Anthem has gone, though - that was a cracking spec for £700

The Go Outdoors Calibre Bossnut is the well regarded as the best new full-suspension bike you can get for £1000.

Pre-owned is just impossible to say, too much choice and depends on the condition of each bike.

OP - what type of riding do you want a full sus for? Are you intending to go to trail centres etc. once COVID blows over?

https://www.trailforks.com/ is great to see if there's any trails near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    And a full suspension bike will be generally significantly heavier than a hardtail.
    Not really noticeable at £1000 level. You've the addition of a rear air shock, a couple of bearings and a linkage. The weight difference would be the same as a half full water bottle. Personally I like the comfort and grip of rear suspension.

For example the hardtail Calibre Line 29 @£900 weighs 14.9kg, the Full suspension Bossnut is 15.2kg. 300g difference.

Master
    Some good advice here and a few things to think about so far :0

Master
    As one or two have said, you should really consider why you want to change to a full-susser, and that means considering what type of terrain you ride on, or do you just want something more comfortable?

I would consider myself a serious mtb-er and ride (amongst others) a 26" full susser, but last year added a 29" hardtail with 100mm front travel and must say for the majority of Peaks riding I do it is fine. The 29 wheels just roll over most things. The only trade-off I experience is less comfort on the very rough stuff but I have a significant weight advantage with the hardtail, such that unless I'm doing some heavy and long rides with drops and rocks etc I always ride the hardtail.

I think the Rockhopper is a nice base for a bike, you might want to upgrade some bits but if this gets costly just invest in a new 'last season' bike from somewhere like Pauls Cycles. Then again, if you want to go the whole hog buy a Stumpjumper 100mm rear travel bike and you will fly on that. £3K ballpark figure new.

Sounds like a fun project.

Ian
    Last edited by ism123; 20th April 2020 at 12:17.

I'll throw in a slightly different take on things. OP, you have a hardtail which could provide the base for gradual upgrades as and when you want to. Wheels, 1x drive train, better front forks, dropper post, etc. Geometry and drive-train technology has moved on a lot but if you have the space, adding a full-suspension to your collection will provide you with two bikes for different trails. I've sat on the six of a friend hammering over technical trails and he has consistently weathered better than me, particularly where downhill elements get a little 'sketchy'. My 2019 Voodoo Bizango 29er hardtail is perfect for the trails I ride most days but I am seriously considering getting into the full suspension circus at some stage in the future. Actually, I say my 29er is perfect. It was perfect until I blew out two spokes on the rear wheel after taking a slightly different line on the coast track and encountered a metre-high drop.

Master
    Buying a second hand MTB can be an absolute minefield if you don't really know what you're looking at. Do the brakes need bled, pads replaced, suspension need serviced (both forks and shock). Dropper post need bled if hydraulic, tyres need replaced or sealant need a top up if running tubeless, headset ok, crank, hubs, pivot bearings etc etc.
    If you have somebody who knows their stuff (or if you do) then you can get a bargain, or if not it could end up being a bit of a money pit.
    Have a look here for the best bikes for your money if you decided to buy new:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-under-1000-2/

Good luck, always good to have another MTB'r😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    As one or two have said, you should really consider why you want to change to a full-susser, and that means considering what type of terrain you ride on, or do you just want something more comfortable?

I would consider myself a serious mtb-er and ride (amongst others) a 26" full susser, but last year added a 29" hardtail with 100mm front travel and must say for the majority of Peaks riding I do it is fine. The 29 wheels just roll over most things. The only trade-off I experience is less comfort on the very rough stuff but I have a significant weight advantage with the hardtail, such that unless I'm doing some heavy and long rides with drops and rocks etc I always ride the hardtail.

I think the Rockhopper is a nice base for a bike, you might want to upgrade some bits but if this gets costly just invest in a new 'last season' bike from somewhere like Pauls Cycles. Then again, if you want to go the whole hog buy a Stumpjumper 100mm rear travel bike and you will fly on that. £3K ballpark figure new.

Sounds like a fun project.

Ian
    Cheers Ian, I suppose it's because I'm getting back into it and that's what I see when I'm out and about and my presumption was "it just must be better!". I don't usually ride anything too demanding but maybe 20% of the time I'll visit somewhere like Hamsterley Forest and ride some moderate and difficult trails... I've never tried the black severe/expert trails and to be honest I'm not sure I'm proficient enough. Hmm, maybe full suss isn't the way to go then. What's worth looking at in the hardtail world then? Or alternately, what should I look to upgrade?
    /

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Cheers Ian, I suppose it's because I'm getting back into it and that's what I see when I'm out and about and my presumption was "it just must be better!". I don't usually ride anything too demanding but maybe 20% of the time I'll visit somewhere like Hamsterley Forest and ride some moderate and difficult trails... I've never tried the black severe/expert trails and to be honest I'm not sure I'm proficient enough. Hmm, maybe full suss isn't the way to go then. What's worth looking at in the hardtail world then? Or alternately, what should I look to upgrade?
    /
    Have a look at the link I posted above, has both full suspension and hardtails👍

Master
    I'm not a serious mtb'er but have done a couple of black roots in my time (relatively slowly!).Unless you're looking to do some big stuff at speed then I'd stick with a hardtail and avoid the extra expense/repairs/weight. I've a 10yr old alu Merida and a steel On One Inbred 29er that are way more capable than me. Something newer will be a little lighter but I don't think the tech has moved on so much. 27.5 or 29" wheels add some additional suspension, roll over roots etc more easily and are faster so definitely worth a look.
    Bike sales tend to be in the Autumn but there's always discounts to be had but I'd be looking at eBay/forums and buying the seller.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 20th April 2020 at 13:48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IWmU55BiLM

Vitus look very good value if you want to go full sus for cheap, the mythique was on my radar.

Master
    As above - check reviews - as long as they’re not advertorials :)

If I had a £1K budget I’d be looking at last year’s models to try to get say a £1400-1500 bike for the money.

Try Paul's Cycles and someone like Canyon or Cotic for reduced/returned bikes.

Ian

ETA

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountai...ts-section-tab
    https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/81...in-orange.aspx
    Over budget https://www.specializedconceptstore....hisel-comp-x1/
    Last edited by ism123; 20th April 2020 at 14:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Of course, N+1 is the correct number of bikes to own, but do you really need a full-susser ?

You'd get a better spec of kit on a £1000 hardtail 29er with tubeless and a dropper post. Climbing is much more fun on a lighter bike. You could grab something new like this for £1k.

Check this out - if you're not riding anything more severe than that, then I'd question the need... I have a carbon framed XC 29er and I chicken out of drops long before my bike will !
    https://youtu.be/8R_1klVXNbk

Shame that Giant Anthem has gone, though - that was a cracking spec for £700
    That cube looks decent, I am after a hard tail so I can put kids seat on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The Go Outdoors Calibre Bossnut is the well regarded as the best new full-suspension bike you can get for £1000.

Pre-owned is just impossible to say, too much choice and depends on the condition of each bike.
    This would be my advice also, for a grand I wouldn't be looking any further than the Bossnut, excellent bike that performs well above the purchase price by all accounts
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 20th April 2020 at 14:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Have a look at the link I posted above, has both full suspension and hardtails
    thanks Toddy :)

I’m also sure there are a few of us who service our own bikes. It anyone wants help setting up a new shifter, adjusting their derailleur or servicing their front fork just post here and I’m happy to talk anyone through it in FaceTime or whatever.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    As above - check reviews - as long as they’re not advertorials :)

If I had a £1K budget I’d be looking at last year’s models to try to get say a £1400-1500 bike for the money.

That's what I did... I picked up a 2017 Giant XTC Advanced 2 29er for £1249 instead of the £2599 RRP from the previous year... AND got enough points to buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer.
    The only difference between that and the 2018 model was colour, and tubeless ready tyres.

Well worth looking around for new bargains - bike shops will be desperate to sell off stock soon as the 2021 stuff gets announced shortly and new models trickle in.

Master
    My choice would be a used Whyte 905 but there have been plenty of good shouts.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Buying a second hand MTB can be an absolute minefield if you don't really know what you're looking at. Do the brakes need bled, pads replaced, suspension need serviced (both forks and shock). Dropper post need bled if hydraulic, tyres need replaced or sealant need a top up if running tubeless, headset ok, crank, hubs, pivot bearings etc etc.
    If you have somebody who knows their stuff (or if you do) then you can get a bargain, or if not it could end up being a bit of a money pit.
    Have a look here for the best bikes for your money if you decided to buy new:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-under-1000-2/

Good luck, always good to have another MTB'r😉
    Good points.
    When I got my pipedream Sirius a few years ago I replaced the brakes straight away.
    They were Avid Elixir which I've never been a fan of.I swapped them for Deore M615's cheap but brilliant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    This would be my advice also, for a grand I wouldn't be looking any further than the Bossnut, excellent bike that performs well above the purchase price by all accounts
    From the tests I've seen, the Bossnut and Boardman FS were on a par.

Master
    That's what I did... I picked up a 2017 Giant XTC Advanced 2 29er for £1249 instead of the £2599 RRP from the previous year... AND got enough points to buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer.
    The only difference between that and the 2018 model was colour, and tubeless ready tyres.

Well worth looking around for new bargains - bike shops will be desperate to sell off stock soon as the 2021 stuff gets announced shortly and new models trickle in.

Wow - didn't know deals like that could be had. A bit like golf gear then it that respect I suppose.

I've never had a 29er before and understand they're a bit quicker and get over stuff a little easier but what are the downsides if any? Any difference when climbing / ascending?

Master

This ^^^^^^^^^? Pauls cycles is good for picking up last years models . Usually the new MTB’ come out around Sept eg Sept 20 for 2021 bikes. So Pauls cycles may even have 2019 bikes. Often the year on year changes are small, colour , a rear mech , tubless ready etc. I saved £700 on a £1600 bike by buying a one year old.

I would echo going from a hard tail to a full susser not only adds weight but also complexity eg setting up , linkages wearing. A good steel or aluminium hardtail with a good fork on will leave a full susser on 95% of trails, unless you really favour downhilling.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Not really noticeable at £1000 level. You've the addition of a rear air shock, a couple of bearings and a linkage. The weight difference would be the same as a half full water bottle. Personally I like the comfort and grip of rear suspension.

For example the hardtail Calibre Line 29 @£900 weighs 14.9kg, the Full suspension Bossnut is 15.2kg. 300g difference.
    Blimey, 15kg is heavy for a HT though!

Master
    I've never had a 29er before and understand they're a bit quicker and get over stuff a little easier but what are the downsides if any? Any difference when climbing / ascending?
    The main differences I have noted are you need a few pedal turns to get them going but once up and running they rolllllll, and the bigger wheel on tight and narrow stuff means you have to be on your game a bit more.

Ian

Master
    Not really, although they can sit a little taller. Gravel bikes tend to have lower gearing but pay attention to the range of gearing, especially if you intend to do a lot of steep hills and are not particularly fit (1:1 or a touch lower will let you spin up rather than having to get out of the saddle).

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by deepreddave; 20th April 2020 at 21:49.

Recommendations for a new Mountain Bike

As a slightly different perspective on the HT vs. FS discussion, I’ve ridden off-road for a very long time, with lots of different people. In fact, it was my ‘thing’ until I got a bit poorly and switched to watches as an alternative way to spend far too much money.

Out of the people I used to ride with a lot, all seasoned mountain bikers, only 1 or 2 ever used to turn up on a hardtail. Even they (and I was one of them) would revert to FS for summer fun, reserving the HT to face the inevitable winter battering.

With a grand to spend, you’ll struggle to find a good hardtail new and IMO you can pretty much discount a new FS. Personally and given the little insight to the riding you do that you’ve provided, I’d try to do some man maths, stretch you budget to around £1500 and then seak out a very decent HT. Someone mentioned a Whyte 905. That would be towards the top of my list too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Yeti is still for sale and I’d let it got for £900 if that’s any use?:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=Yeti

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    As a slightly different perspective on the HT vs. FS discussion, I’ve ridden off-road for a very long time, with lots of different people. In fact, it was my ‘thing’ until I got a bit poorly and switched to watches as an alternative way to spend far too much money.

Out of the people I used to ride with a lot, all seasoned mountain bikers, only 1 or 2 ever used to turn up on a hardtail. Even they (and I was one of them) would revert to FS for summer fun, reserving the HT to face the inevitable winter battering.

With a grand to spend, you’ll struggle to find a good hardtail new and IMO you can pretty much discount a new FS. Personally and given the little insight to the riding you do that you’ve provided, I’d try to do some man maths, stretch you budget to around £1500 and then seak out a very decent HT. Someone mentioned a Whyte 905. That would be towards the top of my list too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It was me who mentioned the Whyte.
    I've been near to pulling the trigger on one a few times but it hasn't happened.
    My knees are both knackered now and although cycling is good for the joints, I think spending £1000-£1500 would be a waste.

Master
    How’s this helping you OP? Lol!

The problem with any hobby of this nature is you’ll get as many opinions as people who try to help. Everybody has their preference, often based on what they’ve got, but it might not suit you. It’s hard to get out and try bikes at the moment, but that’s probably what you need to do. Try a 29’er, try a 27.5, alloy frame, Carbon frame, whatever. You’ll know if you dislike something. Sizing is another can of worms, I still think many people buy bikes that are too big. Don’t be swayed by the finishing kit, that’ll all wear out at some point anyway, but a decent well built frame with a good wheelset will last a long time.

Bottom line is, most of us buy something and then just ride it and accept any limitations that you might have brought into.

Most bikes around a grand won’t be terrible, you’ll have fun on them regardless.

I totally get the attraction of a full sus bike, once I got one 25+ years ago, I never looked back.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy riding a hard tail too, I’ve just fixed one of my old ones up to ride again, but plenty of enjoyment to be had getting the spanners out!

If you do fancy a hardtail, check out the Planet X site, some good value mtbs on there, along with gravel bikes if you fancy being a deviant. ;-)

Craftsman
    Would a 29er be ok for tarmac rides (would like a 29er hardtail but would have to be versatile to allow ridding on road with girlfriend)

Yes, 29er would be good as long as the tyres aren't too gnarly

Three guys I ride with have Bossnuts and they all rave about them. I've ridden them on several occasions and they're properly sorted bikes. Good geometry, solid kit, could do with a dropper post tbh but that's all I'd change on day 1. Even the tyres were decent and that's usually the first place companies cut costs.

The other options in that space that get good reviews are the Jamis Dakar and there's a Marin as well. For the price, the more well known brands can't really compete.

You will get better kit on a hardtail at that price but £1k gets you a very capable FS bike nowadays as well... if you need it.

Unless you're quite short I'd also look at 29" wheels initially. Nowhere like the wagon wheels to ride as I'd originally thought. My HT is a 29er and it's perfect for all day bimbling and pootling and very quick when you want to be. Going round some very twisty singletrack it's no disadvantage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Unless you're quite short I'd also look at 29" wheels initially. Nowhere like the wagon wheels to ride as I'd originally thought. My HT is a 29er and it's perfect for all day bimbling and pootling and very quick when you want to be. Going round some very twisty singletrack it's no disadvantage at all.
    I can totally back this up. I’m 5’6” (7” if I really stretch!) and I’ve had three 29ers, one hardtail, two full suss. Geometry has come on a long way over recent years and manufacture have really got things sorted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    Yes, 29er would be good as long as the tyres aren't too gnarly
    and need to seriously consider the change to hardtail and bigger wheels

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I can totally back this up. I’m 5’6” (7” if I really stretch!) and I’ve had three 29ers, one hardtail, two full suss. Geometry has come on a long way over recent years and manufacture have really got things sorted now.

Thanks guys, very encouraging

Master
    It's all actually really useful stuff - plenty of things to think about. At the moment I'm leaning towards a decent HT with 29s and a good fork to start with but as I've never been on one before I'll have to try a FS maybe the Bossnut based on my reading up and comments on here.

Keep the advice coming though! It's like watch buying, a lot of the fun is in the research for me :0

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    How’s this helping you OP? Lol!

The problem with any hobby of this nature is you’ll get as many opinions as people who try to help. Everybody has their preference, often based on what they’ve got, but it might not suit you. It’s hard to get out and try bikes at the moment, but that’s probably what you need to do. Try a 29’er, try a 27.5, alloy frame, Carbon frame, whatever. You’ll know if you dislike something. Sizing is another can of worms, I still think many people buy bikes that are too big. Don’t be swayed by the finishing kit, that’ll all wear out at some point anyway, but a decent well built frame with a good wheelset will last a long time.

Bottom line is, most of us buy something and then just ride it and accept any limitations that you might have brought into.

Most bikes around a grand won’t be terrible, you’ll have fun on them regardless.

I totally get the attraction of a full sus bike, once I got one 25+ years ago, I never looked back.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy riding a hard tail too, I’ve just fixed one of my old ones up to ride again, but plenty of enjoyment to be had getting the spanners out!

If you do fancy a hardtail, check out the Planet X site, some good value mtbs on there, along with gravel bikes if you fancy being a deviant. ;-)