closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lot of mil flights overhead, or 15x satelites?

Lot of mil flights overhead, or 15x satelites?

I’m in central Nottingham, sat outside having a fire right now. About 15 mins ago I spotted a satélite - usual white dot moving fairly quickly, dead straight, no flashing or any other colour.
    Told my Mrs “look, a satellite, wonder if ISS or..” then there was another, following same path about 15 secs behind. Then another, and another. Totalled at least 15. All heading North-Eastish.
    Got the bino’s on them and could only see a white dot. Not starboard/port lighting. No trails.

Anyone any idea?

There is another going over right now - maybe 5 mins behind the rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seen similar thread from FrankyFourFingers.
    Possibly SpaceX satelites

Craftsman
    Starlink satellites.
    Awesome sight.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for that , at these times of lockdown its nice to put something in the diary with a time!

I read on another forum a member saw the array last night and thought they were UFO’s . It was suggested he takes more water with his whisky before some kind soul informed the group about Starlink.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    12,000 satellites to be launched up there!!! Which could go up to 30,000! . That's all you will see when you look up soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    12,000 satellites to be launched up there!!! Which could go up to 30,000! . That's all you will see when you look up soon.
    They will be a lot higher up than they are in their current holding orbit in the long chains, so shouldn’t be anywhere near as visible and they’ll be spread out.

A lot of Astronomers are concerned about the number of things floating around up there though.

The chain visible now is Starlink 5, you can’t really see 1-4 now as they’re dispersed.

Satellites are usually very visible anyway, I think what’s unusual about these is the long chain of them.
    Last edited by Tooks; 20th April 2020 at 08:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    They will be a lot higher up than they are in their current holding orbit in the long chains, so shouldn’t be anywhere near as visible and they’ll be spread out.

A lot of Astronomers are concerned about the number of things floating around up there though.

The chain visible now is Starlink 5, you can’t really see 1-4 now as they’re dispersed.

Satellites are usually very visible anyway, I think what’s unusual about these is the long chain of them.

According to the link there are only 2,218 sats up there now so if it goes to the latter figure thats a huge increase. Not surprised astronomers are concerned.

Distribution of space debris in orbit around Earth.

^ Thats mad!
    And all in the last 60 years or so. Doesn't really bode well for the future.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ Thats mad!
    And all in the last 60 years or so. Doesn't really bode well for the future.
    No it doesn't!

People think these things are awesome? What is really awesome is what's naturally up there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So spacemen are dirty buggers. NASA needs to make some super duper light weight litter pickers.

So spacemen are dirty buggers. NASA needs to make some super duper light weight litter pickers.
    Mega Maid

I don't think NASA bears all of the blame and there are projects for clearing up a bit:

See also ESA Space Debris Office and 'debris' on their YouTube channel.

NB "The UK’s membership of the European Space Agency (ESA) is not affected by leaving the EU as it is not an EU organisation"...link.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The SpaceX satellites are going over the UK again tonight at 21.55 for approx 20 mins.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The SpaceX satellites are going over the UK again tonight at 21.55 for approx 20 mins.
    Which direction do we need to look?

Which direction do we need to look?
    Try:

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    www.Findstarlink.com

...text...

Also available as an app for iPhone/iPad and Android that allows you to set reminders.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try:
    Brill. So there is an earlier passing at 9.23 also.

Edit; not as good a viewing though as the 9.55 passing. 38 Vs 72 degrees.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 20th April 2020 at 18:09.

Brill. So there is an earlier passing at 9.23 also.

Edit; not as good a viewing though as the 9.55 passing. 38 Vs 72 degrees.
    Wasn't that yesterday?

Blog Entries
    Thank for the website! I've set the alarm on my phone to have a look at the sky. 10:59 PM local time.

Menno

EDIT: I watched them coming over my house! I managed to see 9 of them. Amazing stuff: I checked the website when they disappeared: they were already above Poland when I lost eye contact with them!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st April 2020 at 08:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't that yesterday?
    Yup. Didn't see the dates. 9.58 it is then.

Master
    Starlink satellite trains 5&6 passing overhead tonight just before 2200. Look south at about 75 degrees elevation, passing West to East.

T minus 27mins and counting..

Just come back in. Saw 10. I’d hoped they’d be in more of a ‘train’ style but a good exercise in sky watching none the less

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep. Think I missed the first few trying to spot them. Once I knew there trajectory I could spot them. Should be easier when the are 30k of them :D bloody cold out there tonight.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 21st April 2020 at 07:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Starlink satellite trains 5&6 passing overhead tonight just before 2200. Look south at about 75 degrees elevation, passing West to East.
    I'm going to try and see them tomorrow - looking at the timings on the link. How do I interpret the elevation angle? Is the horizon 0 degrees and directly overhead 90 degrees?

I saw sod all and I even walked half a mile over the field to where it was darker. I went off the information on the app but didn’t see a thing.

I seen plenty of singles but didn’t see the train, I watched to trajectory live on the app too, try again tomorrow night..

Master

Lot of mil flights overhead, or 15x satelites?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Is the horizon 0 degrees and directly overhead 90 degrees?

Yes, as I understand it.

Master
    Someone sent this to me:

https://findstarlink.com/#1529;3

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I seen plenty of singles but didn’t see the train, I watched to trajectory live on the app too, try again tomorrow night..
    Us too, got the kids out of bed and everything, I was slightly dissapointed but the kids were quite pleased with what they saw.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Us too, got the kids out of bed and everything, I was slightly dissapointed but the kids were quite pleased with what they saw.
    There is always tonight, this link from the other thread looks quite good to track and time them..

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

Thanks, we will definitely try again.

Edit, great link, thanks.
    Last edited by JasonM; 21st April 2020 at 10:27.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    There is always tonight, this link from the other thread looks quite good to track and time them..

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/
    Thank you, a very good link in deed

We’re new to it all but fwiw it’s not an obvious line of satellites or streaks across the sky. If you look up and to the west you should see a fast moving light, some brighter than others and some higher. I used SkyView lite, a free app to orientate where I should be looking and they appeared in sky roughly around the Gemini constellation and then crossed to the east.

Not wanting to be disappointed again I did a little research. According to the Heavens Above app, most of last night's train were of magnitude 2 or greater with a couple at 1.8 or 1.9. The latter are probably the ones I did manage to see. (NB Brighter is a smaller number. A difference of 1 is approximately a factor of 2.5 in brightness.)

The app lists a train of satellites of magnitude 1.8 for this evening just after 21h00. I'll be out there again if the sky is clear.

For a bit of context, here are the magnitudes of a few bright objects that you may recognise:

ISS -2.40
    Sirius -1.44
    Arcturus -0.50
    Polaris 1.96
    I'll work on the basis that if I can see the Pole Star (Polaris) then I should be able to see the satellites...even with my aging eyesight.

If I've got any of the above wrong...quite likely knowing me...please feel free to post a correction.
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st April 2020 at 13:30.

For a bit of context, here are the magnitudes of a few bright objects that you may recognise:

ISS -4.00
    Sirius -1.44
    Arcturus -0.50
    Polaris 1.96
    I'll work on the basis that if I can see the Pole Star (Polaris) then I should be able to see the satellites...even with my aging eyesight.

If I've got any of the above wrong...quite likely knowing me...please feel free to post a correction.
    Well, it varies for the ISS. It is around -2.4 on a good night.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Not wanting to be disappointed again I did a little research. According to the Heavens Above app, most of last night's train were of magnitude 2 or greater with a couple at 1.8 or 1.9. The latter are probably the ones I did manage to see. (NB Brighter is a smaller number. A difference of 1 is approximately a factor of 2.5 in brightness.)

The app lists a train of satellites of magnitude 1.8 for this evening just after 21h00. I'll be out there again if the sky is clear.

ISS -4.00
    Sirius -1.44
    Arcturus -0.50
    Polaris 1.96

I got a reality check on that point last night when the kids were pointing at satellites I couldn't see :-(
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Well, it varies for the ISS. It is around -2.4 on a good night.
    Thanks...-4 was a maximum brightness I found on the net and so I'll amend my post.

Master
    Little bit harder to see than Sunday but I’ve counted 33 so far

I’ve just come inside and we counted 37. Was better for us tonight than last night and in a clearer ‘train’

Success!

I went out without too much hope as it was still quite light, albeit after sunset. Venus was very bright and I managed to ID Arcturus close by. After a while I managed to see two more stars and then, lo and behold, a satellite. And it was followed by more of the same. I didn't bother to count after about six but i reckon to have seen twenty or more whilst moving around to get the best view of the sky (to the south are plenty of trees and to the north there is street lighting).

Thank for the info folks.

PS I never did get to ID Polaris this evening.

Master
    Caught Train of over 30 at 9.01, according to site 38 due again at 10.36.

Seen the train tonight, quite impressive, had two elderly neighbours out as I mentioned it to them earlier in the day, I was pointing the satellites out to them and the old chap could see them but his wife couldn't, quite funny hearing them bicker about it..

I pointed out Venus and said it was 45.9 million miles away even though it is so bright, also pointed to Sirius that is 8601 light years away, so the light we are seeing now from Sirius is actually from 8601 years ago - crazy when you think about it..

Seen the train tonight, quite impressive, had two elderly neighbours out as I mentioned it to them earlier in the day, I was pointing the satellites out to them and the old chap could see them but his wife couldn't, quite funny hearing them bicker about it..

I pointed out Venus and said it was 45.9 million miles away even though it is so bright, also pointed to Sirius that is 8601 light years away, so the light we are seeing now from Sirius is actually from 8601 years ago - crazy when you think about it..
    8.6 light years!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    8.6 light years!
    Ha, I thought it was a bit far!

I was taking the info off my app StarMap 3D+ which is brilliant but as I read it last night in the dark I didnt see the dot after the 8, oh well perhaps I need spec savers!!

Starlink 6 is up...SpaceX launches 60 Starlink satellites: "SpaceX successfully launched a new batch of 60 Starlink satellites into orbit today (April 22) and nailed a rocket landing at sea to cap the mission..."

I've tried the sites suggested in this thread (and the other one) and while they're useful I don't think that they give a very clear indication of the expected magnitude (brightness) of the satellites. The Mobile Observatory app for handheld devices is much better in that regard, IMO, and so is www.heavens-above.com.

Click on 'Location' and enter your default. Then click on 'Starlink passes for all objects from a launch'...select a launch from the dropdown list (5 and now 6 are probably the brightest)...then use the 'Search period' arrows to scroll though the dates and look for low numbers in the 'Brightness (mag)' column.

I get a good result (lots around 1.8) for Launch 5 on 27 April (the 26th isn't too bad). Will the sky be clear...who knows?

If you scroll back to a good night, eg last night the 21st, you'll be able to compare the viewing opportunities.

Again, if I've got anything above wrong...as I did last time in the other this thread...please correct me.

According to a couple of sites the train from the latest launch should be visible tonight (20h54ish for me) and should be reasonably bright. It will still be twilight but I'll take a look.