closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Printer and ink - cheap please

Home Printer and ink - cheap please

I am currently going through ink like no fashion with 3 kids at home all wanting various school homework sheets printed. Can anyone recommend a cheap black and white printer? It does seem like a minefield... I’m happy to use refillable cartridges to reduce the costs and save some of my 80% furlough coming in!! Thanks in advance.

Epson ET 2710.

No cartridges. Refill from bottles. Has worked out way cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    HP envy cheap as chips and with the ink programme no running around after cartridges the printer talks to HP and the replacements inc a recycling bag come in the post.
    I have a £1.99 account for 50 pages per month inc colour but i think the next one up is about £3.99 pm and the kids can print in colour.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/#
    Last edited by mart broad; 18th April 2020 at 18:08.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Epson ET 2710.

I'm in exactly the same position and have been reading the reviews from Which magazine sent by my father in law.

Most printers sound terrible and so it's proving tough to make a choice at budget we've set at around £80-£100.

So if this Epson ET 2710 is around £170 on Amazon will that better than buying an cheaper printer which relies on cartridges?

Average 4 person family usage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If you only need black and white a cheap laser might do the trick. I have a Hp p1102w which cost around £80 iirc and pattern toner cartridges are about a fiver on eBay.

Cheers,

Plug

I bought an HP Envy 5020. Had nothing but trouble, it replaced a 15 year old Epson which worked perfectly until the day it died. Wish I'd bought another Epson. Lesson learned.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    HP envy cheap as chips and with the ink programme no running around after cartridges the printer talks to HP and the replacements inc a recycling bag come in the post.
    I have a £1.99 account for 50 pages per month inc colour but i think the next one up is about £3.99 pm and the kids can print in colour.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/#
    +1 . The HP ink by post thing is really good. I got a £45 HP from Argos and it’s been really good, all the usual, wireless printing etc.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    If you only need black and white a cheap laser might do the trick. I have a Hp p1102w which cost around £80 iirc and pattern toner cartridges are about a fiver on eBay.

Cheers,

Plug
    For black & white this is the way to go
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I would always recommend a laser printer these days (unless your printing loads of high quality photos). Make sure you get a printer that has compatible 3rd party toner available on ebay or amazon, and the cost per sheet is tiny. If you're printing loads, a laser is usually much faster, if you're printing occasionally, toner doesn't clog or dry out as much as ink, so whenever you want to print its ready to go.

As an example, not a recommendation as I've never used this particular model before, the Brother HL-L2310D is available at argos for £80, and the replacement toners on eBay are about £15 each. Samsung laser printers are usually cheap and decent too.

I’d buy an ink-tank inkjet. Ideally Epson or Canon - would never buy another HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Epson ET 2710.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I'm in exactly the same position and have been reading the reviews from Which magazine sent by my father in law.

Most printers sound terrible and so it's proving tough to make a choice at budget we've set at around £80-£100.

So if this Epson ET 2710 is around £170 on Amazon will that better than buying an cheaper printer which relies on cartridges?

Average 4 person family usage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I’d buy an ink-tank inkjet. Ideally Epson or Canon - would never buy another HP.
    I bought an Epson ET 2550 three years ago… best decision ever to reduce ink costs.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

If you're using ink, and printing worksheets, change the quality settings to Draft - it'll make a big difference to your ink consumption.