closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smiths Everest 36mm black dial with "rivet" bracelet new batch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    If you're asking whether or not you would be refunded the original shipping cost if you returned a watch because you didn't like it, then you wouldn't. Why should I stand the shipping cost because you decided you don't like it?

Eddie
    Yes I meant that.
    International shipping cost seems to be huge and many watch shops do give refund on original shipping cost alsom
    No offense, peace.

Craftsman
    If you're asking whether or not you would be refunded the original shipping cost if you returned a watch because you didn't like it, then you wouldn't. Why should I stand the shipping cost because you decided you don't like it?

Eddie
    That makes perfect sense Eddie and is probably standard policy for most companies.

Full refund including shipping for fickle-minded customers..for an international sale and more importantly, a hot item. uhm, NO.

Journeyman
    I don't do lists, things don't always go to plan.

Eddie
    unfortunately I was not lucky enough to get one. the shopping system said it is cart moreover I paid it but later Eddie wrote a mail apologizing the situation. I am really upset. Eddie are you planning to help to buy one for those who was said the purchase is successful?

Quote Originally Posted by ModernArrow10 View Post
    unfortunately I was not lucky enough to get one. the shopping system said it is cart moreover I paid it but later Eddie wrote a mail apologizing the situation. I am really upset. Eddie are you planning to help to buy one for those who was said the purchase is successful?
    I don't understand what you're asking, they are sold out.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    I don't understand what you're asking, they are sold out.

Eddie
    I meant at next round in August for those who could not buy because of the shopping system. Who was told by the system everything was fine but later turned out the system let more purchase than the actual stock was. Many unfortunate people would be happy then. Thanks.

Journeyman
    The gilt version is never gonna happen is it Eddie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    The gilt version is never gonna happen is it Eddie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm wondering about this also...I get that the idea divides opinion, done well though, as in the images, it lends a real warmth to the watch...fwiw I'd like to own one, the lume on the current iteration can sometimes look a little 'minty' to my eye.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th June 2020 at 09:29.

Apprentice
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but is the rivet bracelet now ‘standard’ on the PRS-25 36mm? More specifically, will the batch due late august have the rivet type bracelet?

I ask as having tried neither option I’m prefer to obtain a non-rivet type.

Quote Originally Posted by Notpob View Post
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but is the rivet bracelet now ‘standard’ on the PRS-25 36mm? More specifically, will the batch due late august have the rivet type bracelet?

Welcome to the forum - you are indeed fortunate to have been accepted into a true community, if the watch you're interested in comes as standard with a riveted bracelet, there will probably be someone with the earlier non-rivet bracelet that will swap.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Welcome to the Forum, and great to see that Eddie’s watches continue to attract a broader audience.

Yes, the rivet bracelet is now standard, so unless anything changes any batch released later this summer will come with the rivet bracelet.

There are a few threads where alternative bracelet options are discussed. Maybe worth a look .

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum - you are indeed fortunate to have been accepted into a true community, if the watch you're interested in comes as standard with a riveted bracelet, there will probably be someone with the earlier non-rivet bracelet that will swap.
    It certainly seems like a friendly and warm welcome :) Thanks good to hear, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, and great to see that Eddie’s watches continue to attract a broader audience.

Yes, the rivet bracelet is now standard, so unless anything changes any batch released later this summer will come with the rivet bracelet.

There are a few threads where alternative bracelet options are discussed. Maybe worth a look .
    Thanks. I’ll dig those threads out as I’m curious if there’s a benefit to the rivet bracelet or a reason for the choice

I’ll dig those threads out as I’m curious if there’s a benefit to the rivet bracelet or a reason for the choice

The original bracelet didn't taper as much and it's clasp was much larger than the one now fitted. Although it was very good quality, it was far too large and completely unbalanced the watch. I wore mine on mostly Nato straps, sometimes on leather, for over a year until the new rivetted version was released, not only on the watch but as an aftermarket replacement. The new bracelet is much more in keeping with the watch. They aren't actually rivets on the bracelet, they are CNC'd as part of the links and probably easily removed if so desired.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    They aren't actually rivets on the bracelet, they are CNC'd as part of the links and probably easily removed if so desired.

You mean the rivet itself can be removed? It prevents to use all of the holes in clasp so would be fine if it could be easily detach from the last link next to the clasp.

You mean the rivet itself can be removed? It prevents to use all of the holes in clasp so would be fine if it could be easily detach from the last link next to the clasp.
    There are no actual rivets, simply protrusions from the bracelet links machined to look like rivets. To remove the protrusions from the link next to the clasp would require manually filing them away, or finding a way to machine them.

I find that I don’t need access to the whole range of holes in the clasp, I’ve been able to get a good fit simply by adding / removing links and using the 3 available clasp positions.

My understanding is that the rivets are NOT real, surely removing them would require grinding them off... happy to be proven wrong.

Journeyman
    I find that I don’t need access to the whole range of holes in the clasp, I’ve been able to get a good fit simply by adding / removing links and using the 3 available clasp positions.
    Is that 3? As I heard only 2 can be used sadly.

Is that 3? As I heard only 2 can be used sadly.
    There are certainly 3 holes available on mine:

My understanding is that the rivets are NOT real, surely removing them would require grinding them off... happy to be proven wrong.
    A very fine file, a loupe, a steady hand and some polish are all that's needed. If you need to remove it to access more holes for sizing it'll be hidden anyway.
    F.T.F.A.

A very fine file, a loupe, a steady hand and some polish are all that's needed. If you need to remove it to access more holes for sizing it'll be hidden anyway.
    Yeah that sounds about right, not my thing as for the last few years I've really 'gone off bracelets', leather and rubber for me - ooh err missus

Master
    There are certainly 3 holes available on mine:
    Just checked mine and definitely 3. I still can't get a good fit, but I won't be doing an DIY on the bracelet.

Yeah that sounds about right, not my thing as for the last few years I've really 'gone off bracelets', leather and rubber for me - ooh err missus

The only two of my watches I wear on a bracelet are my 36mm Everest and my 1984 Datejust. The bracelets from both my 40mm Everest (2011 model) and Dreadnought Voyager came off upon delivery and have sat unworn in their boxes ever since. The same happened to the 36mm Everest bracelet, and I searched fruitlessly for over a year for a more svelte replacement of decent quality. until Eddie made the version it now comes on and released it as an after market replacement. Some years ago I had a Sinn 656 and sourced a bracelet for that, an exceptionally well made item, but it quite altered the character of the watch and soon went. I just got my Everest out to look at the feasibility of removing the "rivets", and it's now wound and on my wrist, interrupting my wear appraisal of a Haveston canvas, how could I resist!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Just checked mine and definitely 3. I still can't get a good fit, but I won't be doing an DIY on the bracelet.

Having removed the external AR of a Sinn 656 I had some years ago with a Dremmel, I have no qualms about such things. However, this should be a fairly easy job for one of the forum watch fettlers.
    F.T.F.A.

The only two of my watches I wear on a bracelet are my 36mm Everest and my 1984 Datejust. The bracelets from both my 40mm Everest (2011 model) and Dreadnought Voyager came off upon delivery and have sat unworn in their boxes ever since. The same happened to the 36mm Everest bracelet, and I searched fruitlessly for over a year for a more svelte replacement of decent quality. until Eddie made the version it now comes on and released it as an after market replacement. Some years ago I had a Sinn 656 and sourced a bracelet for that, an exceptionally well made item, but it quite altered the character of the watch and soon went. I just got my Everest out to look at the feasibility of removing the "rivets", and it's now wound and on my wrist, interrupting my wear appraisal of a Haveston canvas, how could I resist!
    For a good many years I wore a Submariner almost 24/7 and then for some reason stopped wearing it pretty much overnight, 10 years later I realised that the extra weight of the bracelet was the stumbling block, since then anything I've bought has immediately been removed from the bracelet to go on leather, nato or divers.

Journeyman

Hectic run

Hey, I have recently take the Everest out of the box. Nice watch though it runs hectic. On the winder shows +1 s/d while on wrist or dial up position on desk does +15 s/d. Is that normal for a new Miyota?
    I have never experienced such a big difference.

Craftsman
    Hey, I have recently take the Everest out of the box. Nice watch though it runs hectic. On the winder shows +1 s/d while on wrist or dial up position on desk does +15 s/d. Is that normal for a new Miyota?
    I have never experienced such a big difference.
    I would say from my experience with Miyota that it does sound a bit odd, although that is still with in specs for the movement if you check. I would keep and eye on it for some more time before going any further. If it stops or has large gains or losses then you might contact Eddie for a warranty question and see what he thinks.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I would say from my experience with Miyota that it does sound a bit odd, although that is still with in specs for the movement if you check. I would keep and eye on it for some more time before going any further. If it stops or has large gains or losses then you might contact Eddie for a warranty question and see what he thinks.
    Thanks.
    It is within spec but runs very hectic so I cannot make it regulated. I have heard positive feedback on the accuracy but this difference sounds to me too much. :(

Journeyman
    Grey skies, a salty cool breeze, endless green fields, the sound of seagulls.
    Thanks.
    It is within spec but runs very hectic so I cannot make it regulated. I have heard positive feedback on the accuracy but this difference sounds to me too much. :(
    That is quite normal at this price range. Try measuring the difference over 10 days and average it. My guess is it'll be just fine on average.

I had one of these very briefly and only sold it as couldn’t live with the logo. I really hope at some stage these will be available with the other smiths logo as for me it would work perfectly...anyway looks like it doesn’t bother too many given it’s sold out! It’s a fantastic watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by dicky8588; 16th June 2020 at 17:04.

Master
    Mine is running at about +6 measured by Toolwatch. I'm very happy with the accuracy especially as this is my daily wearer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Mine is running at about +6 measured by Toolwatch. I'm very happy with the accuracy especially as this is my daily wearer.
    My daily wearer used to be a top ETA 2824-2 with around 2 spd difference. I know that is another league though.