closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Soda Siphon

Master

Soda Siphon

A bit random but I'd like to get a soda siphon. They seemed to be ubiquitous on every drinks tray from the 30's to the 80's. It may be that my lockdown viewing has included lots of Jeeves and Wooster and Yes Minister and I now have a craving for a whisky and soda.

I had a very nice mesh siphon when I lived in the US but sold it before I moved back to the UK. I don't want a Soda Stream. Any suggestion for a good one?

Blog Entries
    Just try ebay plenty on there at great prices
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I collect them...sort of. I’ve got 5 of them. Great satisfaction in buying them in various conditions of not working and getting them fired up. In these days of vodka and gin fashion a shot of soda out of a proper siphon just does it!
    The problem is like a lot of the 70s stuff eBay has hiked the prices up. I collect Tilley lamps too (yes I know and yes I do get out) and the prices on them have gone daft

Master
    Had a look on ebay. Should I just go for a vintage Schweppes?

I got a wire Deco one as a present, great looking thing.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Origina.../dp/B00P4C6G16

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I got a wire Deco one as a present, great looking thing.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Origina.../dp/B00P4C6G16
    That is the very one I used to have. I agree, lovely looking. I just don't know if I can justify the spend at the moment.

Master
    Modern rubbish, buy a 70s one. Some beauties about.

Drinks at 7.00? Ding dong.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I’ve got seven!

Two I inherited from family, the rest were picked up over the years. The commemorative Silver Jubilee one on the far right is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I’ve got seven!

Two I inherited from family, the rest were picked up over the years. The commemorative Silver Jubilee one on the far right is my favourite.

How do you fill up the one on the left ?

Very carefully
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How do you fill up the one on the left ?

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Very carefully
    Is the cat a rag doll?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Is the cat a rag doll?
    No it's definitely a real cat

Is the cat a rag doll?
    Well spotted!

She fills herself from the cat bowl. She has a brother who weighs twice what she does but sadly isn’t athletic enough to jump up on the windowsill to join her :)

Well spotted!

She fills herself from the cat bowl. She has a brother who weighs twice what she does but sadly isn’t athletic enough to jump up on the windowsill to join her :)
    Yup we’ve got two and like you one is a chunky old boy who won’t jump up, the other vanishes of over next doors and he walks about getting stressed because he can’t see him...

Yup we’ve got two and like you one is a chunky old boy who won’t jump up, the other vanishes of over next doors and he walks about getting stressed because he can’t see him...
    Ah. They are great cats!

Do you let yours out then? We have always kept these two and their two predecessors inside. Poppy is too dim and so friendly that I think she would be eaten or stolen in five minutes if she went outside!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    A bit random but I'd like to get a soda siphon. They seemed to be ubiquitous on every drinks tray from the 30's to the 80's. It may be that my lockdown viewing has included lots of Jeeves and Wooster and Yes Minister and I now have a craving for a whisky and soda.

I had a very nice mesh siphon when I lived in the US but sold it before I moved back to the UK. I don't want a Soda Stream. Any suggestion for a good one?
    Have 2 of them! Got them of etsy and eBay This was 2 years ago. Paid £ 20-25. The cartridges are easy to get as well
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...kAAOSw2B1dwvv6
    This is the one I have but in red!
    Cheers!

Master
    [QUOTE=72bpm;5390181].../QUOTE]
    Thanks for the suggestion and I do like the vintage look. But I'm really looking for a glass siphon,.something more in the style of the one next to Hemingway.

Last edited by gerrudd; 19th April 2020 at 20:19.

Ah. They are great cats!

Do you let yours out then? We have always kept these two and their two predecessors inside. Poppy is too dim and so friendly that I think she would be eaten or stolen in five minutes if she went outside!
    We had our first two 15 & 17 years, both of them we let out, we’ve only had these two a year, Whispa jumps the fence but won’t go far and first sign of anyone he comes tearing back home, Barry his brother is the chunky one and he won’t climb th even ever but get very upset when his brother is out of sight, walks around meowing.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion and I do like the vintage look. But I'm really looking for a glass siphon,.something more in the style of the one next to Hemingway.

...image...

I thought those old glass ones could only be exchanged for a full one from the maker...having paid a deposit and then paying per refill. They're quite decorative but not functional these days as the refill service no longer operates. Is that what you're after? Something to look good on the bar?

See link for some background.