closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC 2020

SOTC 2020

I did my last SOTC in early 2018 (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=SOTC) and with an ever shifting collection (and a little more time on my hands), I thought it would be fun to do a little write-up again. Feel free to skip my ramblings and just scan the pictures!

The most important thing for me, I think, is that I stopped thinking about brand recognition and resale value. In the past I sometimes held on to watches because they seemed to be a good investment, even if in fairness I had stopped wearing them. So far this new outlook is liberating (albeit a tad expensive ;)).

There’s still no real theme in my collection, although I’ll start off with two mini sub collections by brand. I like nice, in-house movements, have an inexplicable ‘thing’ for a few divisive brands and am sometimes drawn to more ‘out there’ designs. I lost interest in vintage watches for the most part, basically because of all the hypes & hipsters (and insane price levels), but I still like vintage-informed designs.

I obviously wear some of these watches more than others, but there are none that never come out of the watch box. If there’s one thing they have in common, it’s that each and every one of these watches can bring a smile to my face.

So, the first sub collection, the Alfred Dunhill watches:

There are a few of these DM7 ana-digis on the forum and I can understand why. Cool facets, cool functions and great build quality make it a nice package, although I understand that some people may find the nerd factor a bit too much.

I think this sleek D-Type is a super classy watch. My picture doesn’t do it justice, but the dial has a wonderful pattern and the curved case is in immaculate condition.

The Car Watch: the D-Type’s big brother with an automatic movement (and a number plate!). It may be bonkers, may wife hates it, but I love it for its sleek lines, the titanium and ceramic case and the super curved crystal.

The first watch of my Movado trio is this Tempomatic. I developed an interest in these simple Movado three handers some time ago. They’re fun to collect because they’re relatively affordable, great quality watches (Borgel/Taubert cases, in-house movements) and have a well-documented history. They’re also widely faked and redialled, which makes the chase more interesting. J

Another unmolested, all-original Movado. These are small watches (32-33mm, 16mm straps), but on my smallish wrist they work just fine.

I don’t usually wear gold plated watches, but I couldn’t resist the super sharp case on this one.

This Ebel may be my guilty pleasure. I know many people feel the design is outdated, but I like how they stick with a very distinct aesthetic. It’s very comfortable too.

I bought this Seiko because I wanted to add a white dialled dressy watch to my collection. Mechanically it’s nothing special, but I really like the enamel dial, which my picture spectacularly fails to capture. It’s based on the Riki Steel Clock by Riki Wanatabe and I like the simple look. I could have done without the ‘Presage’ and ‘Automatic’ text though.

A watch that needs no introduction. This is a 1985 so called ‘medium fat boy’ and I wear it for gardening etc.

I’ve been intrigued by the Mille Miglia for a long time. I think it’s a classic, the dial is very detailed and well-made and it’s instantly recognisable.

I got the Chopard LUC in a trade deal here on the forum. I don’t think any picture can really show the beauty of this watch. The white gold case, jet black dial, beautifully applied numerals and of course the brilliant micro rotor movement… It’s one of those watches you have to handle to fully appreciate it.

Bremont is a divisive brand on the forum and I understand that. Still I’m drawn to them and after a Solo this Broadsword is the second one I’ve owned. The build quality is fantastic and the scratch-resistant case comes in handy when holidaying with the kids. My lifestyle is far from adventurous, so I’m hesitant to call any one of my watches a tool watch, but if I have one, it’s this.

The SLA033 was a bit of an impulse buy, but I haven’t regretted it. This is a rather faithful re-edition of a classic, with Grand Seiko quality. Despite the size it wears great and even though it may seem ‘simple’, it oozes quality.

Finally the titanium Seamaster 300. I don’t really know what to say about this one, except that, when I tried it on, it was the first watch in a long time that gave me that wow-feeling. In a way it rekindled my love for watches, so for that reason alone this may be my favourite.

If you made it this far: thanks for reading and of course I’m happy to hear your thoughts.

Nice diversity, love the Dunhill car watch!

That’s a big a bit of a change from your previous SOTC
    It’s a very nice collection. I really like the Chopard.
    Your old CWC Chronograph has become a firm favourite of mine!
    Take care

Journeyman
    Great collection, plenty of variety!

Those Movado's are lovely but the pick for me is the Chopard LUC

I love your collection Jack - it's not straightforward and consistent with what you'd expect on the forum. From the Movados to Chopard, to Willard and the titanium seamaster, I think all great watches. Enjoy them bad boys!

Very cool collection. I like those Dunhills a lot more than I thought I would. The Movado’s are very classy. Lots of variety and lots to like. But the Chopard LUC stands out for me. Just from that one photo it screams quality.

Master
    I think that is a fabulous collection.
    For me the Chopard LUC and Seiko are the pick of the bunch.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    I think that is a fabulous collection.
    For me the Chopard LUC and Seiko are the pick of the bunch.

Thanks for posting.
    My thoughts exactly. Nice collection OP. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    Some crackers in there
    Love the seamaster , SLA033 and the Tempomatic is a lovely thing.

Eclectic collections really rock my boat, fabulous stuff.

I like this a very lot.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks for all the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That’s a big a bit of a change from your previous SOTC
    It’s a very nice collection. I really like the Chopard.
    Your old CWC Chronograph has become a firm favourite of mine!
    Take care
    It is, isn't it? I titled my 2014 SOTC: 'I think I'm done'. I won't be making that mistake again... Glad you're enjoying the CWC. It's a brilliant watch that fits right in with your collection. Take care mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    But the Chopard LUC stands out for me. Just from that one photo it screams quality.
    Absolutely, it's a very special watch! I should have included a picture of the back, which is just as nice or even nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Eclectic collections really rock my boat, fabulous stuff.

I like this a very lot.
    Somehow I'm not surprised you're drawn to that, Matthew, I wear it quite a lot.

Craftsman
    Lovely collection of watches, and not one I wouldn't be happy to own and wear. The Ebel may appear dated. But watches have their own styles, and these are invariably linked to time frames. so in my view, just add character.

The pick of your collection for me, would be the ana-digi Dunhill - never seen that watch before. Is it still in production?

The Movado's are exquisite also.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Lovely collection of watches, and not one I wouldn't be happy to own and wear. The Ebel may appear dated. But watches have their own styles, and these are invariably linked to time frames. so in my view, just add character.

The pick of your collection for me, would be the ana-digi Dunhill - never seen that watch before. Is it still in production?

The Movado's are exquisite also.

Thanks.
    Thanks, very well put re the Ebel! These Dunhill watches are all out of production, but they do pop up on Ebay quite often. Lots of NOS/very good condition too. There are currently at least 2 DM7 ana-digis on Ebay. I know, because I considered buying one as a back-up...

I always enjoy seeing your collection Jack, you do seem to find some nice and unusual gems.

Highlights for me this time are the Movado with patina dial and the Dunhill on the light brown leather.

Really nice as always.

What an interesting and unusual collection, Jack.

I do think that Dunhill car watch is really cool!

Apart from that one I’d say my favourite is actually the Mille Miglia...

Simon

Nice stuff. I like the dunhill’s and the Omega but the Chopard looks the bees knees. Lovely

Master
    Another vote from me for the Dunhills, nice to see something different on the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think that is a very refined collection.

The Chopard LUC is a beauty.

Thanks for sharing.