closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What would you keep from the last few weeks?

What would you keep from the last few weeks?

I think it would be safe to say that all are lives are different now. Typing away from my 2 bed flat in London and working from home. I haven't seen my elderly parents for weeks, when will I see them again?

It has been a time of difficulty, a time of change but what have you enjoyed? What would you like to remain from this lockdown period when life goes back to 'normal'.

For me living in central London and not far from a major road (Pentonville Road), its the vast drop in traffic/noise/pollution. If any good can come to this I would like to see major investment in electric cars and their infrastructure. Let's keep our city air breathable.

Now there is a low emission zone in place in central London I would like to see that become electric car only ASAP.

I also don't think I will ever buy another expensive watch again (famous last words) but further reduce my collection and wear those I enjoy. I am even considering an Apple Watch to measure the walking/running etc I am doing daily.

Craftsman
    Don’t bank on it yet,when we are in prison we eat and enjoy porridge with salt,when we come home it doesn’t take long to get back on the fry ups.😸 Bit cynical I know, but it’s a human trait.

Master
    I just regard it as a pimple on my buttock. A minor irritation and best forgotten.

Bittersweet. I hope Sadiq Khan is pressured from all sides about the ULEZ zone.
    With us currently in economic crisis, let alone my work personally falling of the edge of a cliff, the last thing I’ll need is getting charged another £75 a week to use my work vehicle. I’m sure 10s of thousands will be in the same boat. Certainly won’t be in a position to replace the vehicle, indeed, when I fold, I probably won’t need it at all.

Sporadically getting about getting provisions for my elderly parents I like the emptiness on the roads from cars and busses....
    The silence of the skies from not hearing airplanes. All this helping to the cleaner air.
    I also currently like the space around one with the 2m distancing rule, although some idiots are oblivious to it...

I'm going to push for at least a couple of days a week working at home. I'm missing the buzz of the office and banter with colleagues, but I don't miss the commute across London.

And although I feel stressed with the whole situation – the queues at the supermarket, not being able to meet people, the fear of uncertainty – I've also been doing more walking and hearing birdsong instead of traffic, and there are no planes passing overhead. It's almost rural

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve noticed that food wastage has gone down at home. Not that we particularly bad in the first place but I’m making every scrap last, making stocks with ends of veg etc..

What would you keep from the last few weeks?

The weather and how nature is opening up to less human activity.

With the weather it’s like nature saying, I want this virus to spread so I’ll put on a beautiful month of sunshine so all these humans find it hard to stay in and infect each other, if this kicked off 4/5 months ago when it was persistent rain I’m convinced the infection rate would be a lot less..

Also nature is coming out of the shadows and showing itself more, the amount of road kill has also dropped, sounds weird but a few years of this lifestyle would rejuvenate our wildlife.

Going forward I would like people to realise we don’t need to travel so much, to take less journeys so less traffic, less flights, lower consumption, in years to come when everything has been evaluated the environment will be the big beneficiary of all this.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 15th April 2020 at 18:13.

The tip on here about adding curry powder to baked beans has changed my life and that alone has been worth it all.

The quietness.
    The birdsong.
    The slower pace of life.
    The empty roads.
    Buying local produce that was formally destined for restaurants.
    Not driving.
    Talking with strangers passing by our home.
    Imaginative meals due to the lack of choice/availabilty.
    The random acts of kindness I've seen around me.
    Doing stuff on the round-to-it list.
    Long phone conversations with distant friends.
    Having a second cup of coffee.

To name a few.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

^^^^ lovely

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Slowing down, think of the things that are important in life and how really I could easily live with less 'stuff'

Craftsman
    There's very few things I've enjoyed about lockdown however I've enjoyed spending time with my wife and 5 month old daughter who I often dont get to see during the day.

I’ve stopped worrying about not sleeping as I know I don’t have to be up at the crack of pigeon anymore. In turn I’m sleeping better despite the lazier lifestyle
    Hopefully carry that forward when work returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the gardening more often

I like the distancing and one way system in the supermarket

Can we keep that please?

Master
    I was discussing this with a friend earlier.
    I'm up at the usual work day time but as there are no anklebiters to get ready it's a fairly relaxed time. There then follows a very easy trip to work as there is very little in the way of traffic so I arrive earlier than I usually would despite having left later. I then spend the morning at work, on my own, speaking to a handful of nice people who are usually very appreciative I'm there and can sort out whatever they need. Lunch and a few deliveries locally on the way, so home by 2 ish to spend the afternoon in the garden, in the sunshine with the smalls and doing a few jobs.
    Then bedtime, sometimes a run, dinner, a bit of TV and bed. Wash and repeat.
    It would be a lovely way of life if I wasn't actually (literally) poorer every morning. This need to make money is a bit of a bitch as the lifestyle I quite like.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I like the distancing and one way system in the supermarket

Can we keep that please?
    One-way system makes me travel up one unnecessary aisle to go down the one I want in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    One-way system makes me travel up one unnecessary aisle to go down the one I want in the right direction.
    Yes but its a logical and well ordered system

I do get stressed by the number of people going the wrong way though, and at no point should anyone be allowed to turn around or go backwards

If made permanent then marshals could be stationed at the end of each isle in order to enforce compliance

A fixed penalty notice system would probably help

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Exercise and shopping covered in one outing
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

By the time its lifted I will have memorised the circuit at Tesco so will be able to continue to follow it

By the time its lifted I will have memorised the circuit at Tesco so will be able to continue to follow it
    You’ve a way better memory than me, I have a job finding Tescos when I need it. Finding anything in there is the week’s major challenge, I’m sure they move everything about every few days.

Yes but its a logical and well ordered system

I do get stressed by the number of people going the wrong way though, and at no point should anyone be allowed to turn around or go backwards

If made permanent then marshals could be stationed at the end of each isle in order to enforce compliance

A fixed penalty notice system would probably help
    Annoying if, say, in cereal section and miss the desired brand of cornflakes and have to do another circuit to pick them up.

Berated the other day by someone for mistakenly taking a wrong turn. Wish I’d thought of this at time but if twats like him didn’t shop in couples they’d be more room and these measures be less needed.

Apprentice
    Nothing.

I'm using this time as a great opportunity to develop my team. The industry we are in (digital recruitment marketing) isn't exactly booming at present and yet we have been doing better than most competitors by being able to pivot very quickly to areas of the market that need our solutions and expertise, changing commercial models and agreements to support our clients and ensuring we are always there for them and providing them with regular market insights based on developments we see in our international locations that entered lockdown earlier and so on. I always make sure I am available at all hours to chew the fat with clients, many of whom are in a situation of real distress. Just talk about life, whatever, but always be there for them and make sure they know they remain very appreciated even though they aren't currently in a position to spend. If we can provide any guidance and advice we will and there is no expectation that it will turn to revenue - the motivating factor is to help as many people as possible in the industry get through this.

You have to take the positives and one of them is the opportunity to help the team gain real exposure of actively participating in a turnaround during what has to be the most brutal trading scenario for a generation and all the lessons they can learn from that and the fact that for all the business expertise and professional qualifications, what matters a LOT is the human side (ironic as we are primarily an AI business). On top of this we have been using any down time to develop our tech stack even further so we are ready for when we come out of this with an even more differentiated solution.

The level of appreciation shown for key workers
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    And that alone would be worthwhile, they have been rarely appreciated and certainly unpaid and it would be nice if that appreciation was followed by an increase in pay and work standards for those that keep our society running when this is over. ... However, in my experience politicians have the memory of a gnat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    And that alone would be worthwhile, they have been rarely appreciated and certainly unpaid and it would be nice if that appreciation was followed by an increase in pay and work standards for those that keep our society running when this is over. ... However, in my experience, politicians of all persuasions have the memory of a gnat.

Echoing some of the previously made points, it would be nice to be able to keep the:

• Reduction in road traffic and associated noise and pollution.
    • Dramatic reduction in police helicopter activity.
    • Almost complete absence of air traffic and associated noise and pollution.

No need to expand any airports, no need to build HS2 due to decreased demand for travel, no need to build more bridges over the Thames...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The tip on here about adding curry powder to baked beans has changed my life and that alone has been worth it all.
    Brilliant from a local

Blog Entries
    Going forward I would like people to realise we don’t need to travel so much, to take less journeys so less traffic, less flights, lower consumption, in years to come when everything has been evaluated the environment will be the big beneficiary of all this.
    totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    totally agree
    Those who can afford it will still take their long haul holidays.

Like already mentioned I would also take forward my appreciation for key workers. Definitely will be washing my hands more often as well.

At home I would continue to try and reduce clutter. Been considering to sell my laptop and only using my work one or my missus' for home use. The temptation to invest in a personal gaming laptop is there but will hold off all big personal shopping expense to make sure I have enough savings in case something were to happen to my job.

Master
    Having money left at the end of the month, rather than month at the end of the money.