closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: sold my 5513 and replaced it with?

sold my 5513 and replaced it with?

I was so sad to sell my beloved 5513 maxi v, the sad thing was it was so original and nice I was terrified wearing it.

I decided I was going to buy something a little more modern. well I purchased 2 more modern watches a 1991 explorer 2 tritium polar and a 2002 Datejust turn o graph (thunderbird) I know not really modern.

I'm a vintage watch but they are so fragile and precious I had to move slightly forward.

I still wanted some vintage vibe so I went for the tritium dial and hollow links on the explorer 2 and jubilee on the datejust.

I feel so relieved in some ways and I've purchased 2 watches and still have some funds to put into my covid19 kitty.

I feel a job well done.

The king is dead long live the kings.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Good choices of watches there. The turnograph especially for me, I only recently became aware of them and i’m a big fan, especially on the jubilee. I really like the red handed version.

Master
    pity, but you have 2 nice watches there

Master
    Do you have a picture of the maxi dial to share.
    I must admit on a 93150 bracelet I don't find them feeling fragile.
    Been wearing my 1680 for the last week and don't feel it needs careful treatment.
    Nice watches but you will miss that classic I think.

Yes a picture of the your 5513 would be appreciated :)

Congrats on the new watches! A very tough decision I'm sure but I understand.

Master
    Congrats but you will miss the 5513, good ones are few and far between and no need to wrap them in cotton wool just exercise the usual care you would with any watch.

I’m still grieving over the 5513 so not ready to rub salt in the wound by posting pictures of it and I don’t need you lot rubbing it in even more lol

I love to wear a Rolex as a daily wearer but it was just too precious to wear about the sale has helped me replace it with two watches and give me some needed funds to get through the next few months.

Master
    I would never sell a 4 series, never in a million years.

Craftsman
    Glad you are happy. I have a 5513 from 1972 that I wear more than any watch I own. Best there is IMO and don't see what you thought it was so fragile. It isn't !

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The thing is I’m only a humble barber and didn’t have the finances to buy another daily wearer and with covid19 it made my decision easier.

I’ve still got a wonderful IWC Mark XI from 1952 as an investment and something to scratch my vintage vibe.

I’m happy I’ve got 2 wearable watches and my wife’s happy I’ve added funds to the coffer, yes sad to have sold the 5513 but I’ve owned her nearly five years and I’ve gained far far more than I paid for her.

She wasn’t my first 5513 and in the future she won’t be my last.

Gives me something to work for over the post covid19 reparation.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Glad you are happy. I have a 5513 from 1972 that I wear more than any watch I own. Best there is IMO and don't see what you thought it was so fragile. It isn't !
    Mine had ghost bezel, original lume and hardly a scratch on it it was as near original as you can get, I Once owned a 1969 5513 that was scratched war wounded, hands relumed replacement service bezel etc etc etc and I just wore it and wore it and never flinched.

The one I sold I just couldn’t relax wearing it especially as a Daily watch I didn’t want to be the destroyer of something so nice.

I’m a clumsy bugger too, play in bands and carry gear, a barber and use sprays, dyes etc etc I think I’m going to be far more relaxed with something less precious on my wrist.

Craftsman
    Don't worry Baden H, you'll get over it.

The watches you bought are lovely/ My brother has the polar, and I tried it on some months ago. Lovely and slim on the wrist.

The Thunderbird is even nicer in my view as it is slightly smaller. But, has a rotating bezel which I love on a non dive watch, as they're so handy.

Like your avatar. George Lazenby wore a 5513, I believe. Fantastic watches (See Learningtofly's post and other contributors..... or maybe not). I'm sure there will be others in the future of similar condition, should you wish to return to the model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    The thing is I’m only a humble barber and didn’t have the finances to buy another daily wearer and with covid19 it made my decision easier.

I’ve still got a wonderful IWC Mark XI from 1952 as an investment and something to scratch my vintage vibe.

I’m happy I’ve got 2 wearable watches and my wife’s happy I’ve added funds to the coffer, yes sad to have sold the 5513 but I’ve owned her nearly five years and I’ve gained far far more than I paid for her.

She wasn’t my first 5513 and in the future she won’t be my last.

Gives me something to work for over the post covid19 reparation.
    Then you did the right thing! No point being selfish, and you've still got two lovely watches!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I think you have done the right thing and have two lovely watches.

Master
    Sounds like you made a good move and have a couple of lovely watches as compensation.

Master
    I have tried several times to replace my 5513 (which replaced a lovely tritium 14060)...by buying its replacement first:

16600 Sea-Dweller, failed
    116610LV Hulk, failed
    116600 Sea-Dweller, failed
    116610LN Submariner, failed
    114270 Explorer, failed

All of the above lived alongside the 5513 for periods of time, but when it came to it none of them had the charm or easy wearability of the older watch. I do find the modern sports Rolexes somewhat clinical.

Keep thinking a 114060 would be a good compliment, or a BB58 saving it from almost daily wear, but nothing seems to be able to replace it.

My most often worn watches are the 5513 and a modern Speedy Pro. After all this time of trying and moving on watches I seem to have defaulted to a pair of classics.

Ant

Craftsman
    2 very nice for one

ENJOY

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Words fail me. Well actually they don't but we're here in WT and not the pit. So I'll spare you the verbal lashing you so richly deserve.

Congrats Baden, turning one watch into two beauties, especially that Exp II :) and some funds is definitely a result.

The two you got are not for me but if you were not wearing the 5513 and like these, you were right to move it on.

You've clearly put a lot of thought into this, ending up with two watches that are really attractive, interesting and wearable whilst freeing up some funds. Bloody well played.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I feel for you - I still regret selling my meters first 1967 5513 - it was not a minter but almost a full set and very original
    I also stopped wearing it as was afraid to do so... so I flogged it and got a 1680 instead
    which has been suprisingly wearable even though equally delicate - over the last few years....

those two fill the gap nicely and unless you run a museum wear the damn things

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You've clearly put a lot of thought into this, ending up with two watches that are really attractive, interesting and wearable whilst freeing up some funds. Bloody well played.
    Completely agree - they're two cracking watches!