closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could own only one watch...

If you could own only one watch...

...what would it be?

For me it would be my 16610.

Yeah not the most original thread but better than Coronavirus news anyway. Haha. Let's see 'em!!!

Craftsman
    My choice would be the ref 1016, but to be a bit more realistic I would go for the ref 14270 or a OP in 34mm, I prefer the smaller size.

If I could own one watch it would be either:
    The Speedmaster that Buzz wore on the moon or The A11 that Chuck Yeager wore (assuming he wore an A11).
    The A11 Col. Tibbets wore would also be high in the list.

If we are talking about watches that can be bought (assuming deep pockets or a lottery win) I would have to be unoriginal and say a 5517 or a T dial SM300.

FPJ Chronometre Optimum.

Master
    My IWC Mk XII

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    FPJ Chronometre Optimum.

Wow! These FP's are just crazy.

A couple of years back we covered the 'only one watch' in this thread - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-only-have-one

The parameters of that game were really - all watches cost £100 and no appreciation in value. Would you still pick the same?

Craftsman
    My BLNR on oyster. IMO it suitable to wear with a t-shirt as it is with a suit, not to flashy compared to some watches and I just love it. Also why it’s my beater watch as I wear this 80% of the time.

There can be only one : Doxa Sub Conquistador with HRV
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    My IWC Mk XII

Good choice. I've been trying to replace my old one for years now.

For me - and it's something I do think about given that I'm retiring to sunnier climes and may go down to a single watch before I do - it probably has to be the one I've just posted elsewhere about. I do toy with others during these mind games, but I suspect I already know the answer.

Master
    Just one watch to own and wear all the time

as I cannot find the original

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good choice. I've been trying to replace my old one for years now.

For me - and it's something I do think about given that I'm retiring to sunnier climes and may go down to a single watch before I do - it probably has to be the one I've just posted elsewhere about. I do toy with others during these mind games, but I suspect I already know the answer.

5513 is among my favorite watches ever made. Along with 1675/16570 and 16610.

Great choice!

Master
    A nice, clean step dial 321 Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Wow! These FP's are just crazy.
    Alas, I don't own it - it's my ultimate grail. One day, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A couple of years back we covered the 'only one watch' in this thread - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-only-have-one
    Glad to see that my answer is still exactly the same:

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Hentschel H1

Would be very happy with it as my only watch

Craftsman
    For me: relatively modest watch...

Steel and sedna gold SMP 300 on rubber. Blue or black - just don’t care. I have the steel on rubber version now. Bought it while I waited for my YM to be available (I had the YM packed away a year before the birthday actually arrived). Now it’s arrived I realise I would rather wear my SMP every day for the rest of my life, and have to force myself to remind myself to break out the YM.

When we’re out of lockdown I will consolidate and work out a way to upgrade from steel only —> steel and sedna!

Master
    I scrolled through that old thread and find that my choice hasn't changed from then. Still my 126600

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Always thought it would be my Daytona as I spent 15 years trying to get one and the last 7 enjoying one.

Lately though after pictures on here, reading up and seeing one in the flesh, I’d say VC overseas. The strap options just make it a complete all rounder for me. Whether I‘m now able get one is another matter.

Master
    A little predictably perhaps but I would plumb for the Hulk as my one and only all rounder but as always, that may well change

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was going to say a 5164 Travel Time Aquanaut (I think this would be my ultimate watch at the moment)

However with crazy service times, high polished / brushed bezel and durability etc I will go with a Sub. A classic 5513 like Tonys above would be perfect and you would always love it in 20 / 30 years time. Ive gone off the high gloss modern variants - owned 114060, Hulk and LN Date as well as modern Seadweller
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th April 2020 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    My BLNR on oyster. IMO it suitable to wear with a t-shirt as it is with a suit, not to flashy compared to some watches and I just love it. Also why it’s my beater watch as I wear this 80% of the time.
    I agree, mine would be the Batman (on oyster) too. I've been wearing it daily during the pandemic and it's such a beautiful and versatile watch plus it has a genuinely useful complication. Trouble is it's making the rest of my modest collection look very bland.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 15th April 2020 at 12:20.

I’ve always been a vintage watch die hard but this DJ41 has really taken me by surprise! It’s just so comfy and can be causal/formal too! Possibly a bit boring but think this pips the post for me over many others I’ve owned!

Master
    VC overseas dual time with silver or blue dial. It comes with leather, bracelet and rubber straps. Has date and dual time function and is true high horology. I can but dream.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...110a-b333.html

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...110a-b334.html

I'd probably plump for my Sinn Arktis, but there is a good case to be made for my Breitling B-1.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Glad to see that my answer is still exactly the same:
    I had the UN Freak as my answer. Would it still be the same today? I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with it!

I'd add a few more choices to the mix - Gronefeld Parallax, an Akrivia, Vianney Halter Classic. The Bulgari Octo Finnissimo would be another decent choice actually.

It’s a tough call but for me it would have to be my 14270.. Classic simplicity none of those fancy pretentious pieces would get a look in..
    It covers every occasion and if it’s good enough for the great Roger Smith then it’s certainly good enough for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I chose bond SMP back in the earlier thread, and while the BB58 has not left the wrist since getting it, I think it's still the SMP for me. Looks good, comfortable to wear, and can take a beating.

Currently, it would definitely be the 126600. I waited a long time to get one (ended up with two) and it hasn’t disappointed, great proportions, I think the BLNR would have been a contender before I had tried this.

My heart says the Patek 5726 (steel, blue) but my head says a Rolex (probably my ceramic Pepsi).

Tony, one downside of the 5513 in sunnier climes is you wouldn't be able to wear in the sea or pool (or maybe even shower)? That's what has put me off more vintage Rolex to date. But, a beautiful watch, I completely agree.

Master
    Blog Entries

It would have to be the GMT

Money no object? Probably a VC Overseas. I say probably as I’ve never seen or held one. The recent photo thread on here has swayed me towards one as something very special for my official retirement next year. Whether I actually get one is a different matter.

Being more conscious of the cash and vaguely sensible, I genuinely love my BB58 and have said it’s the only recent purchase that I can’t ever see myself selling. Having recently got hold of the Tudor leather strap to go with the nato and bracelet, it’s suitable for just about every situation I’m ever going to find myself in these days and size wise, is absolutely perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I just can't do it. Sorry but if I choose a chrono, I'll want a gmt, or a moonphase or a plain 3 hander or an integrated bracelet a few days later. The only watch that does it all would be an Apple watch (other smart watches are available) but I don't want that as my only watch. So for me I'd have my 1 watch - the breitling SOH II I bought to remember my mum and then I'd have a secret stash of other watches kept in a hidden vault guarded by tigers.

Craftsman
    Nomos. Comfortable, well proportioned, sporty, dressy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is a tricky one and after a bit of consolidation earlier this year I was faced with looking for the 'one' watch. First thoughts were towards a GMT or even a GV Milgauss, but common sense prevailed and it had to be something from the Sub or SD family of watches. I have tried many over the years and most of the obvious choices were well out of budget on this occasion, but the 16600 seemed the natural choice for me. The 40mm case size, date facility and lack of a cyclops gave it the edge in my eyes over a Sub. I have had a SDc 4000 in the past and I would have been happy to have another, but that was also a bit beyond the budget.

Master
    Going against the trend here as Covid 19 has taught me that expensive watches are no good if you are dead and although i still own a few my last watch would be the Citizen...solar charging,GPS,day and date function and all the watch i ever need.

Master
    Daytona

Grand Master
    if i HAD to own only one, i already have it!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Probably one of these (pic stolen from worn and wound I don't have one yet)

Master
    My new found belle... PAM670 Equation of Time.

When we have the £100 thread I went for the white gold Rolex GMT, but I've now recovered ;). Having now caught the Panovirus.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It would be a Rolex Day-Date for me, 18239, 118239 or 128239.

I have a Datejust and I’ve tried on a 18239 and 118239 they suit all my needs perfectly, one day I hope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    It would be this one. Ask me in a few weeks and the answer would probably be different..

^ I have not seen many thin frame Explorer 2s around. My one watch solution is an Explorer 36mm which I think it’s simplicity is its beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Master
    I would be quite happy to wear my 2017 SMP ceramic with adjustable clasp.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My choice would be an Omega Aqua Terra in 38mm size for an only watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega Seamaster GMT (2534.50.00, from the 2000s) - wavy dial, sword hands, very versatile.

This pretty much IS my 'One Watch' and I don't see the need for another.

Master
    Of the watches i own or have owned, it would have to be this. I'm in no way a Rolex fan boy - this is the only one I've owned - but as a long time dive watch fan I find it about as perfect as a watch can be. I also think the DJ41 would make a pretty good only watch - for me the blue dial, smooth bezel on oyster.

Master
    That’s a tough one as it rules out vintage watches simply because it couldn’t be safe queened
    It’s a toss up between a seamaster 2254.50 and a great white with a nudge towards the Omega Great White

is aerobic exercise good for weight loss
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 16th April 2020 at 19:08.

Banned

If you could own only one watch...

One watch would be this. 40mm ( the perfect size). Perfect for smart, casual, sports scenario. Works in the office , barbecue or beach. Great lume , useful complication for travel.

I can’t fault the 116710LN, best all round watch in my opinion .
    Last edited by charlies; 18th April 2020 at 10:21.