closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been furloughed from work yet?

Master

Unhappy Anyone been furloughed from work yet?

I work for a company so a regular PAYE employee, not self employed/contractor/ltd company. 3 people have been furloughed so far from the team, and another wave of furloughs will be coming by the end of April reading between the lines (mid next week there will be another announcement).

Dreading next week. The company I work for is really struggling. I'm pretty sure more than 50% have been furloughed so far. I'm not only dreading the right now but future longevity of the company.

I have a job in a niche sector so getting a job isn't too hard as there is always a shortage but if the whole industry is suffering no company will be offering jobs.

Worrying times ahead.

Anyone else a regular PAYE employee and been furloughed?

Not me, but my son, an apprentice at Ford has been. Was initially told would be expected to take annual leave but changed their tune and he’s now furloughed.

No big worry for him TBH but just bored at home with us all day, costing me more in food but he’s saving petrol!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not me, but my son, an apprentice at Ford has been. Was initially told would be expected to take annual leave but changed their tune and he’s now furloughed.

No big worry for him TBH but just bored at home with us all day, costing me more in food but he’s saving petrol!
    Is he getting the 80% from the government?

Grand Master
    i've been furloughed for almost three weeks now, on 80%. taking into account travelling expenses and food at work etc, plus no social events due to the lockdown i reckon i'm no worse off. word is we'll get paid as normal on the 28th even if the govt hasn't paid the company by then. i work in the taxi trade so i'm expecting to be furloughed until the lockdown is fully released.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Is he getting the 80% from the government?
    Yes and pretty sure Ford making up to 100%.

Had two weeks working from home but have been furloughed as of this week, it was going to happen as I'm field sales and there just aren't any orders, everywhere is shut. I'll be on 80% paid by government but as I actually earn a good wage it'll feel more like I'm getting 35%, wife is as well so it's tighten our belts and a few less toys for a while.

Rightly or wrongly I am a little peeved with the company I work for, they supply PPE and in the run up made more money in March than ever before, and with new contracts they will do the same in April, so they have the cash in the bank to offer a little better deal to employees, but when the government says "Send em home we'll pay 80%" I guess it was to easy for them to take the offer up.

The other problem is it was the end of the financial year for us and bonus was coming up but the drop off in sales for my department meant I missed the yearly target, April to February I was at 118% to plan but throw in March and I finished the year at 98% so missed and wont earn bonus. Lets see how they calculate target for this year?

Total loss of income that I will have no way of earning back will be around £35k for me BUT (and this is the big thing for me) all my family are well and so far I haven't lost any friends, if it remains like this then I'll take the loss and count myself very lucky.

Master
    I have also been furloughed for 3 weeks for now I guess that may get extended. Luckily for me that's on full pay at the moment but if the time gets extended I think I'll have to take a cut.
    If we carry on working from home then at least I'm saving on travel.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    On my second week.
    No idea if I will ever go back to work.
    Firm I work for has been struggling for years.
    They had 50+ staff when I joined 9 years ago.
    Down to about 15 now. 13 have been furloughed.

Craftsman
    I’m in a funny situation . Those below my job title have been put off but also those above me up to director level, the reason being legally the company still has to do keep my level of management in for inspections and cover for environmental permits.
    But the company has agreed to pay up the extra 20% the staff are missing out for this month at least which is great.
    As for the future...... who knows as we are part of the construction sector.

I have been off now for 3 weeks from my Construction job. I was paid in full for last months work but a phone call from the boss yesterday to inform me Im now Officially Furloughed and I will only be paid 80% this month and for the foreseeable !

I feel for the self Employed trades that I work with , some of them will be having a hard time !

Master

Wouldn't it be great if he returned to Ford as the apprentice who can speak French, or use a CAD package or has significantly improved his maths skills or understand EV technology. Plenty of stuff he could be doing to turn himself in to the star candidate and the one that gets the best job at the end of the apprenticeship (or gets retained when they decide to only bring half of them back).

As the father of a 7yo who struggles to motivate himself to do half an hour of school work a day I understand the challenge though.

All our paid staff except 2 furloughed 2 weeks ago. We all said we would be happy with the 80% to keep the railway afloat. We are not expecting to open for some months and like a lot of heritage railways the future looks bleak. It doesn’t help that the majority of us are over 60 and a bit fragile in most cases.

Craftsman
    I was furloughed two weeks ago today (from my role in PreSales) along with 36 others, 12 still remain working.

Really struggled for the first few days as felt like I’d been given the boot from work but once you get your head around it it’s fine and in essence helping company are saving £90k a month..

Luckily I am on full pay but I think that we will have to take a salary drop if this carries on much longer.

Ironically we are busier than ever as our company provide Smart Lockers / Smart Vending / PPE Vending machines for the retail and corporate world. In essence taking away the physical handover of goods or equipment by human hands, but also giving an audit trail of who touched what and when.

Keep yourself busy (I’m building some decking and fixing bits on my old car) and keep away from the beer fridge.

Some staff in my wife’s company are complaining that they have to work whilst others are furloughed doing nothing and getting paid... such goodwill I’m sure will be remembered, this isn’t over by a long stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wife’s been furloughed on 80% for past 3 weeks. I’m still able to work (mail order business, owned by me) but turnover is down at least 30% so I’m doing reduced hours and taking Friday off. Not furloughed myself yet but it’s coming
    Last edited by demonloop; 15th April 2020 at 11:28.

Craftsman
    I was furloughed over 3 weeks ago (24th March) along with every other employee in my firm (240ish).

A full factory (& very successful business) just stopped dead. I’m obviously extremely worried about if/how things can return to normal for me & all employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if he returned to Ford as the apprentice who can speak French, or use a CAD package or has significantly improved his maths skills or understand EV technology. Plenty of stuff he could be doing to turn himself in to the star candidate and the one that gets the best job at the end of the apprenticeship (or gets retained when they decide to only bring half of them back).

As the father of a 7yo who struggles to motivate himself to do half an hour of school work a day I understand the challenge though.
    It would be but isn’t going to happen unfortunately. His future job is already in place but unfortunately the workplace isn’t very motivating.
    Some friends at another site are helping in making ventilators, pity he can’t be doing that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Some staff in my wife’s company are complaining that they have to work whilst others are furloughed doing nothing and getting paid... such goodwill I’m sure will be remembered, this isn’t over by a long stretch.

I think it's hard on some. While in the big picture it's not important it must seem unfair if some are on full pay or 80% at home doing nothing and others are still working full time maybe covering multiple people's work.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Been furloughed for two weeks now on the gov 80% saving a bit on diesel and the wife an NHS worker so she's keeping me also keeps giving me a list of jobs to do around the house thank god b&q is closed. I worked a 3 shift pattern so just getting used to waking up at a normal time going to bed at a normal time and having tea and dinner at a normal time will kill me when I go back.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i've been furloughed for almost three weeks now, on 80%. taking into account travelling expenses and food at work etc, plus no social events due to the lockdown i reckon i'm no worse off. word is we'll get paid as normal on the 28th even if the govt hasn't paid the company by then. i work in the taxi trade so i'm expecting to be furloughed until the lockdown is fully released.
    If they don't pay you - you aren't furloughed and are just in breach of contract regardless of when they get the money from the government...

I'm not furloughed, but a lot of my team are. Our organisation has committed to paying employees their full salary for as long as is possible.

Overall we're furloughing more than 10k people.

Not furloughed yet, still working from home, though we were asked to take as much holiday as possible last week and the week before. I already had last week booked anyway, so worked the first week and just did some decorating instead of going away last week.

Wife has been furloughed from both her low paid part time jobs. While googling to see if she'd get the 80% for both jobs, which she is, i was surprised to see the £2.5k limit is per job, not per person. Not that it affects her on a few hundred a month, but thought it was interesting that theoretically, if you had 2 paye jobs each paying £3125 a month, you could get 80% for both and get 2x£2.5k. Also, you can be furloughed from 1 job, get the £2.5k but continue to work for and be paid by your other employer

Master
    3 weeks now. Employer is topping up the extra 20%. The issue is that I've a seasonal contract guaranteeing a small number of hours, but would typically work full time doing 160-200 a month anyway. AFAIK I'm only going to get paid the number on the contract, not what I would normally earn.

Using the time to do as much revision as I can and start looking into applications for becoming a paralegal.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    3 weeks now. Employer is topping up the extra 20%. The issue is that I've a seasonal contract guaranteeing a small number of hours, but would typically work full time doing 160-200 a month anyway. AFAIK I'm only going to get paid the number on the contract, not what I would normally earn.

Using the time to do as much revision as I can and start looking into applications for becoming a paralegal.
    From the same site as i got the multiple job info

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-fo...tention-scheme

Employees whose pay varies
    If the employee has been employed for 12 months or more, you can claim the highest of either the:

same month’s earning from the previous year
    average monthly earnings for the 2019-2020 tax year
    If the employee has been employed for less than 12 months, claim for 80% of their average monthly earnings since they started work until the date they are furloughed.

If they have been employed for less than a month, work out a pro rata for their earnings so far, and claim for 80%.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    From the same site as i got the multiple job info

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-fo...tention-scheme

Employees whose pay varies
    If the employee has been employed for 12 months or more, you can claim the highest of either the:

same month’s earning from the previous year
    average monthly earnings for the 2019-2020 tax year
    If the employee has been employed for less than 12 months, claim for 80% of their average monthly earnings since they started work until the date they are furloughed.

If they have been employed for less than a month, work out a pro rata for their earnings so far, and claim for 80%.
    The CEO spoke with the acounting team and their response wa that until my seasonal contract kicks in, I'll be paid per last years monthly earning, and then when the contract kicks in I'm paid based on what the contract states (x hours per week at £Y, any additional hours to be paid at same rate), regardless of the fact I'd work full-time hours.

My partner and I are into our third week of being furloughed. We both work in property and it's pretty apparent that neither of us could have jobs to go back to after this. We started off thinking very negatively about the situation and getting pretty depressed, whilst at the same time feeling extremely lucky that in the short term at least we still have an income and aren't out there exposed to the virus like so many other poor souls on the front line, mostly on rubbish wages.

Now we've had time to think about it we've come up with a plan B, we've got enough equity in our home to buy a reasonably decent city centre apartment, then we'll look for jobs doing stuff that interests us without having to think too much about what we earn. Thankfully I never had kids so I have no dependents. I'll be gutted to have to sell the house but I'm quite excited about potentially living a simpler life if God willing we get through this unscathed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    How are people coping with the furlough and lockdown in general, I think Rishi Sunak is going to share some news on e furlough scheme today - not sure whats in store!

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    How are people coping with the furlough and lockdown in general, I think Rishi Sunak is going to share some news on e furlough scheme today - not sure whats in store!
    Rumor is an extension from end of June to end of Sept, but a cut from 80% down to 60%

Master
    Rumor is an extension from end of June to end of Sept, but a cut from 80% down to 60%
    And potentially allowing PT working!

I’m currently on furlough on 80% (no company top up) and do want to go back to work but the supply chains have ended and theres no stock for us to work with! So even though i’m really wanting to get back to the 9-5 until manufacturer/distribution of stock improves i would imagine i will continue to be on furlough. At 60% things get tighter, but i’m grateful for the scheme and its help and realise many are in a much worse position. Hopefully most people will still have a job after furlough and it’s not just delaying tactics being used by companies..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I’m currently on furlough on 80% (no company top up) and do want to go back to work but the supply chains have ended and theres no stock for us to work with! So even though i’m really wanting to get back to the 9-5 until manufacturer/distribution of stock improves i would imagine i will continue to be on furlough. At 60% things get tighter, but i’m grateful for the scheme and its help and realise many are in a much worse position. Hopefully most people will still have a job after furlough and it’s not just delaying tactics being used by companies..
    I don’t think the furlough payment you receive will go down - however, an element will have to be met by the employer. That’s my understanding of this afternoons statement, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    And potentially allowing PT working!
    I wish that were true then at least I could maybe cover my food/utility bills (as a sole director on minimum salary) but not seen any evidence of that rumour.

Extended till end of Oct

Continuing at 80%/£2500, but with companies expected to 'start sharing' the cost from Aug, whatever that means

PT working to be introduced

Extended till end of Oct

Continuing at 80%/£2500, but with companies expected to 'start sharing' the cost from Aug, whatever that means

PT working to be introduced
    Probably along the lines of Government pays 40%, company 40%.

Master
    Furlough TIL October with company paying 50% and govt 50% can be taken off and on furlough 3 weeks at a time as long as criteria is met

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Furlough TIL October with company paying 50% and govt 50% can be taken off and on furlough 3 weeks at a time as long as criteria is met
    Probably along the lines of Government pays 40%, company 40%.
    Pretty sure I read government will still pay the majority, i.e. more than the employer would. As always with these things no firm detail yet, end of month!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Anyone been furloughed from work yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Pretty sure I read government will still pay the majority, i.e. more than the employer would. As always with these things no firm detail yet, end of month!

Could well be, just guessing TBH. Might be sensible to have a gradual reduction in Government contribution.
    Was widely predicted the 80% would be cut to 60%, no-one knows, even Sunak (yet).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 14th May 2020 at 00:54.

Master
    Our place are back with 1 shift production and 2 in the loading bays. That’s down from 3 in both, the plan is to gradually ramp up the production to 2 but might just pay the single shift overtime for 1/2 a shift rather than bringing another full shift in. There’s plenty of room to stay 2 mtrs apart, the ones refusing to come back will be put at the back of the list and won’t be asked back when it all ends.

Someone said the other night we’re working for less than £1.40 an hour which is the difference in what we got on furlough and now working. No wonder loads don’t want to work.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Someone said the other night we’re working for less than £1.40 an hour which is the difference in what we got on furlough and now working. No wonder loads don’t want to work.
    What an insanely short-sighted view! I'm furloughed on full pay, I may suggest to my employer they need to double my pay, to get me back into work!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    What an insanely short-sighted view! I'm furloughed on full pay, I may suggest to my employer they need to double my pay, to get me back into work!
    And that’s why it’s going to bite them on the arse when that do want to come back to work. There is loads just taking the piss just now!! One guy that isn’t back even wrote and complained why he wasn’t getting the 3 bank holidays he’s already missed reimbursed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    And that’s why it’s going to bite them on the arse when that do want to come back to work. There is loads just taking the piss just now!! One guy that isn’t back even wrote and complained why he wasn’t getting the 3 bank holidays he’s already missed reimbursed.

Wow I’m amazed having shown colours in this way that an employer would want them back.

Equally the £1.40 brigade too. Just mental attitude to work.

Master
    My stepson is furloughed from his job from an independent burger restaurant and a has had an email saying he’s being made redundant, when this is over I can see a lot of unscrupulous company’s using all this as an excuse to cut pay and conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    My stepson is furloughed from his job from an independent burger restaurant and a has had an email saying he’s being made redundant, when this is over I can see a lot of unscrupulous company’s using all this as an excuse to cut pay and conditions
    More honest not to, but they could have continued the furlough until the scheme ends and then made him redundant.

When most of your customers and suppliers are shut you don’t really have a choice, but any company that aren’t making up the difference are taking advantage of the situation.

Master
    More honest not to, but they could have continued the furlough until the scheme ends and then made him redundant.
    Apparently he seems to think they had to pay towards it and and no longer wanted to don’t know if he’s right but that’s what he was told

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Apparently he seems to think they had to pay towards it and and no longer wanted to don’t know if he’s right but that’s what he was told
    Government would have paid 80% of his wages. Company can make it up to 100%, maybe they were doing this but not all do.

Master
    Yes redundancies will come at many smaller companies in coming weeks. Companies are going to want the employees off their books by the end of July. So depending on notice periods, the news will be coming soon.

Of course for larger scale stuff, consultancy is required and that is why places like BA have already started that process.

If furloughed he is still employed so accruing service which could/would affect any eventual redundancy payment.

Anyone been furloughed from work yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If furloughed he is still employed so accruing service which could/would affect any eventual redundancy payment.
    That’s true but will only be peanuts - if under 22 half week pay for each full years service. (Not sure if calculated pro rata but if so would only be couple of days pay.)

Edit - though if not pro rata, couple of extra months might complete an extra years service...
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 14th May 2020 at 22:53.

Master
    Not pro rata. Only full year counts. Also only applies if you have 2 year service or more.otherwise it is zilch!