closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix 5 or 6: opinions please

Craftsman

Fenix 5 or 6: opinions please

In the dull parts of my lockdown days, I have been musing about a Fenix. There seem to be some good deals on 5 plus versions. Are there any owners who have had both? Is the upgrade to the 6 worth it? I am mostly thinking of it as a hiking watch with some run tracking. I also have a 6.75 inch wrist, so any views on comfort etc also appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you can stretch the budget, go for a Marq. Smaller than the 6 and metal, no plastic.....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post

Nice ..... until I saw a he price- wow

Craftsman
    I think the Marq is a bit too far for me as I won't be wearing it full time.

I bought a 5s+ in the autumn. I was so delighted with it after 24 hours that I decided I'd undercooked the procurement. I went back to the shop (Cotswold Outdoor) and asked to change it for the 6 titanium which was a substantial chunk more and looked the absolute biz.

After 24 hours I was back asking for the 5s+ back again. The 6 was slow to load maps, slow to lock on to GPS, but the worst thing was the buttons. Literally half the time they worked and the other half not. The first day I counted 1000 paces on the ground. Know what the 5s+ recorded? Exactly 1000 steps. Somewhat lucky I guess as they are a bit random, but impressive is the word.

I now have the 5s+ back again and I couldn't be more delighted. In fact it has just come back in from an hour cycle ride. Yes it is less blingy, but it works brilliantly. TBH a gardening watch, my polar explorer and the 5s+ would really be all the wrist wear I would ever need.

Master
    I have had the 5, Marq and now with a. 6 sapphire. Find them all the same except for the extra features which a lot I don’t use.

My requirements are running, walking, hiking, trail runs and track me when I am orienteering keeping an eye on my sleep and when climbing keeping an eye on altitude. For this my fenix 6 does everything perfectly, the other can also do it but I a bit of a tech nerd. So will always but the latest and have enjoyed the extra battery life out of my 6.

The key here is to identify your use case and than work out what’s important for you. I.e size, weight, battery life, stats, transitions for sports etc. I still have a 645 I use as well as 945.
    Last edited by shoppy; 16th April 2020 at 11:28.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the views so far.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    For this my denim does everything perfectly, the other can also do it but I a bit of a tech nerd. So will always but the latest and have enjoyed the extra battery life out of my 6.
    What's a denim please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Thanks for the views so far.

What's a denim please?

I'd say a Garmin albeit with an autocorrect :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    They are all Garmins, so trying to narrow it down :-)

Master
    Have you looked at the Garmin Instinct. That could be a good option and cheaper that the fenix

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have a 5s and find it pretty much perfect as an activity watch. Works flawlessly, fits my 6” wrist well, pairs with phone, ant+ accessories and is rugged enough to take a few knocks when I fall off my mountain bike.

I can’t comment on the 6, as I’ve never even looked at one. Which says a lots TBH. I’m usually one of those easy sells, always wanting to upgrade to the latest, shiniest, newest toys. For once though, I see no point and am still happy with my 5s several years down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Have you looked at the Garmin Instinct. That could be a good option and cheaper that the fenix

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    No not yet. I have looked at quite a few other Garmins but not that one. They have such a massive range.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I have a 5s and find it pretty much perfect as an activity watch. Works flawlessly, fits my 6” wrist well, pairs with phone, ant+ accessories and is rugged enough to take a few knocks when I fall off my mountain bike.

I can’t comment on the 6, as I’ve never even looked at one. Which says a lots TBH. I’m usually one of those easy sells, always wanting to upgrade to the latest, shiniest, newest toys. For once though, I see no point and am still happy with my 5s several years down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that's good to hear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Yes it’s supposed to be a Garmin 6 ( silly me) I found them both to be pretty similar, if you are considering the plus and pros however the 6 just has better battery life I found in my use case. I need to look over my posts, when on my phone.
    Last edited by shoppy; 15th April 2020 at 05:37.

I have the 5X Plus, I bought it approx 16 months ago and have really been impressed with it. It has a great battery life and as a sports watch it quickly acquires and retains a GPS signal which when viewed on the maps at the end of a run shows how accurate it is.
    Works very well with Strava and obviously Garmin connect.

The only real problem I have with the watch is (with all the tech it has and the fact that I can through Garmin Connect analyse my full day) once I start to wear it as I have done through lock down my other watches get left in favour of it.

Regards.

Keith.

Craftsman
    I have an older Garmin Fenix, i believe its the 3 saphire version. Must admit i have been wanting to buy the latest version, but i just cant justify it as my current watch is still running strong. The Marq looks very nice and if i was looking for a new Garmin id probably consider something smaller than my current Garmin. Mind you a 2 week battery life with the usage of gps and other functions is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've gone from a 3 to a 5s plus.
    The reduced size of the 5s case makes it much more wearable, despite the fact it sports a rubber shell

I use it for cycling, walking and kayaking. It's been faultless and despite a reduced battery life in comparison to it's bigger brother, this hasn't been an issue.
    In fact I rarely ware any other watch!

Do you need the heart rate function? If not take a look at the Tactix Bravo, virtually the same as the Fenix but no heart monitor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    The only real problem I have with the watch is (with all the tech it has and the fact that I can through Garmin Connect analyse my full day) once I start to wear it as I have done through lock down my other watches get left in favour of it.

Regards.

Keith.
    Keith Just wear one on each wrist, I am cycling through my mechanical watches out or boredom now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Do you need the heart rate function? If not take a look at the Tactix Bravo, virtually the same as the Fenix but no heart monitor.
    I really wanted to try the heart rate functionality. Not sure why, probably because I never have!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post

Sorry for going off-topic... What face is that? Is it one of the stock faces or did you get it from the IQ store?

Master
    Ged what do you want to use the watch for? Step and hr monitoring? Tracking exercise? Indoor or outdoor with gps?

It helps go get a sense of what you want from the garmin first, as the answer might not be a fenix.

Personally I use a vivosport for stepcouting, 24/7 hr and sleep tracking, on my right wrist and a watch on my left.
    To track indoor rowing I use a fenix 3 and separate hrm, which I also use for mountain biking and other extended exercise.

If you are looking just to track sleep, steps and hr and still wear a watch then one of the smaller devices might be the answer. If you want this but more for he’s for longer exercise sessions and functions you might consider a second device (though a vivosport is more than cable of tracking cycling and running) the garmin impact mentioned earlier could be a good option as could the vivoactive 4 or 3 at the right price.

If you haven’t already had a look, take a look at dcrainmaker.com loads of reviews of the garmin options.

Master
    Forerunner 645 Music.

Craftsman
    Captain Morgan asks the correct question.
    What is it for ?

I have the 5x much to the amusement of my twin boys who have the usual Apple smart watch and we often battle away on who's is better at what.
    I think its fair to say the Garmin is a better sports watch , more robust and a battery life that an Apple can only dream of.
    But the Apple is a better smart watch in general.

SO back to the Garmin . With out going into detail its amazing on what it can do so best summed up for me in it gets better the more serious you are in your sports. I only scratch the surface of what it can do with cycling and running and don't tend to the use the maps and deeper options it has that a real sports user would enjoy.

Its very robust , very well made and again a battery life that just amazes me.

I've a 6X though I'm not particularly sporty. Think it's great for all sorts of stuff, seemed a bit large at first but don't notice it now and pleased I got this one with its longer battery life.

Only annoyance is Garmin Pay doesn't work with most UK banks.

Master
    945. Job done.

I’m debating between the 245 or splashing out on the fenix 6.

I’m sure the 245 would cover everything but the fenix looks better

Craftsman
    I am a keen hiker and used a Suunto X9i for many years. A replacement for that would be great and so I am keen to have the maps facility.
    I am not overly bothered about tracking runs - I am happy just to have survived them! But I would like to have a bit more information re heart rates. However, as I doubt I would wear anything 24x7 (I don't want to leave my Speedmaster behind and I don't want to have anything on my other wrist), this may be a bit pointless.

Blacks have some on sale atm. Including the fenix 6 range

Thought I’d try the 245 and if I like it I can upgrade later

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Blacks have some on sale atm. Including the fenix 6 range
    Jura has just offered me 15% off the Fenix 6 and their RRP is lower than Blacks. Jura's RRPs are the same as Garmin's who have just reduced their prices.

Master
    I am a keen hiker and used a Suunto X9i for many years. A replacement for that would be great and so I am keen to have the maps facility.
    I am not overly bothered about tracking runs - I am happy just to have survived them! But I would like to have a bit more information re heart rates. However, as I doubt I would wear anything 24x7 (I don't want to leave my Speedmaster behind and I don't want to have anything on my other wrist), this may be a bit pointless.

Sorry I missed this yesterday, if it’s not for regular hr monitoring and tracking then you could easily use the instinct or vivoactive 4 (or 3) they don’t have inbuilt maps but will follow a ‘bread crumb’ trail you upload. I say this as I’m assuming we are similar, either your out in a area you know so getting lost is unlikely or if in a new area you’ve a paper map or have downloaded a digital map to your phone.

Personally I think the screens on the fenix even the largest one aren’t really useful for a sole map. If you doing a long hike/ride, ultra or such they are useful but only if you’ve preprogrammed the route, which can be done on a cheaper device.

That said if it’s because you just prefer the fenix which I can see that’s cool, who doesn’t like new tools ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Sorry I missed this yesterday, if it’s not for regular hr monitoring and tracking then you could easily use the instinct or vivoactive 4 (or 3) they don’t have inbuilt maps but will follow a ‘bread crumb’ trail you upload. I say this as I’m assuming we are similar, either your out in a area you know so getting lost is unlikely or if in a new area you’ve a paper map or have downloaded a digital map to your phone.

Personally I think the screens on the fenix even the largest one aren’t really useful for a sole map. If you doing a long hike/ride, ultra or such they are useful but only if you’ve preprogrammed the route, which can be done on a cheaper device.

That said if it’s because you just prefer the fenix which I can see that’s cool, who doesn’t like new tools ;-)
    Yes I do always take a paper map and proper compass if somewhere new, so it probably is wanting the new toy :-). Mind you my Suunto X9i that I bought in 2005 does bread crumbs, so just going for something that does the same seems a bit sad.

Blog Entries
    I am a runner and have had a 5 plus for about a year and it’s a great bit of kit, more than I really need.

Straps are a fiver on eBay for a bit of fun and battery is superb.

Pitch

In the dull parts of my lockdown days, I have been musing about a Fenix. There seem to be some good deals on 5 plus versions. Are there any owners who have had both? Is the upgrade to the 6 worth it? I am mostly thinking of it as a hiking watch with some run tracking. I also have a 6.75 inch wrist, so any views on comfort etc also appreciated. Thanks

Well Ged, as a result of following this thread and being like you about get one to use in place of my GPS62s for canoeing, hiking and climbing I decided to go for a Fenix 5X plus, but I do like big watch's and have a 7.75inch wrist. When I looked at the reviews most said the extras on the 6 weren't worth paying the extra cash for.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a Fenix 5 and don’t feel the need to upgrade which is rare for me

I’m a runner mainly (4-5 times per week) but also cycle occasionally and also use it to track strength workouts etc

I can’t think of anything it doesn’t have that I would want other than topographical maps but the route system, even on new trail runs is good anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Sorry for going off-topic... What face is that? Is it one of the stock faces or did you get it from the IQ store?
    Yes it is from the IQ store and is called SC8. It’s brilliant. Completely configurable!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich View Post
    Well Ged, as a result of following this thread and being like you about get one to use in place of my GPS62s for canoeing, hiking and climbing I decided to go for a Fenix 5X plus, but I do like big watch's and have a 7.75inch wrist. When I looked at the reviews most said the extras on the 6 weren't worth paying the extra cash for.
    Do you mind me asking what you paid and where from?

Do you mind me asking what you paid and where from?

Hi Ged, just under £450 from Watchnation for the 5x plus - messaged an offer via online chat at managed to get it for that, which seemed the best out there, and also can always send back if it does turn out too big.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich View Post
    Hi Ged, just under £450 from Watchnation for the 5x plus - messaged an offer via online chat at managed to get it for that, which seemed the best out there, and also can always send back if it does turn out too big.
    Congratulations Watchnation had some good deals. I nearly went for the titanium solar one. Think that X version would have been be too big for me. But they haven't much stock now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not read the whole thread so apologies if already posted - have you read the DCrainmaker website? That has the best reviews I’ve come across, the techies in my running club highly rate it. That will go into all the detail you could possibly want.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Not read the whole thread so apologies if already posted - have you read the DCrainmaker website? That has the best reviews I’ve come across, the techies in my running club highly rate it. That will go into all the detail you could possibly want.
    Thanks. Yes I have read quite a lot of that site. Really in depth and a great resource. He seems to lean towards the 6.

Jura has just offered me 15% off the Fenix 6 and their RRP is lower than Blacks. Jura's RRPs are the same as Garmin's who have just reduced their prices.

How did you get the 15%? I’m tempted with a 6 sapphire/titanium to replace my 735xt, the additional discount would be good!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    How did you get the 15%? I’m tempted with a 6 sapphire/titanium to replace my 735xt, the additional discount would be good!
    I used the WhatsApp live chat and that's what they offered on the 6 Pro.

Master
    Waiting for one of these which should be released on 24th

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Waiting for one of these which should be released on 24th

I would have to strap it around my thigh it's so massive.

Master
    Due to the current situation I have unfortunately had to sell a few watches that were keepers and have therefore had to look at other options.

Apart from a few sentimental pieces I have decided to go to the dark side and get a smart watch..🤮

This will probably be my daily wearer, so have done a lot of research :

MARQ. Commander or explorer top of my list but unfortunately too expensive for me currently.

Fenix 5 plus. Great option if the price is right.

Tactix Delta. Looks like it would have been this but no discounts available. (and probably too big)

Tactix Charlie. My runner up but couldn't get it for a price less than my first choice, which has newer tech. (and again this is probably too big!)

Winner. Fenix 6 pro. Managed to get it for £469 from First Class Watches who were fantastic. Only had it a few days but so far think I've made the right choice.

Instinct would have been the option if I didn't get a decent deal on the fenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've gone from a 3 to a 5s plus.
    The reduced size of the 5s case makes it much more wearable, despite the fact it sports a rubber shell

I use it for cycling, walking and kayaking. It's been faultless and despite a reduced battery life in comparison to it's bigger brother, this hasn't been an issue.
    In fact I rarely ware any other watch!
    What is that face?

Master
    I always wear two watches son my wrist my smart watch and a manual watch. Never go for just a smart watch IMHO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Due to the current situation I have unfortunately had to sell a few watches that were keepers and have therefore had to look at other options.

Apart from a few sentimental pieces I have decided to go to the dark side and get a smart watch..ðŸ¤

This will probably be my daily wearer, so have done a lot of research :

MARQ. Commander or explorer top of my list but unfortunately too expensive for me currently.

Fenix 5 plus. Great option if the price is right.

Tactix Delta. Looks like it would have been this but no discounts available. (and probably too big)

Tactix Charlie. My runner up but couldn't get it for a price less than my first choice, which has newer tech. (and again this is probably too big!)

Winner. Fenix 6 pro. Managed to get it for £469 from First Class Watches who were fantastic. Only had it a few days but so far think I've made the right choice.

Instinct would have been the option if I didn't get a decent deal on the fenix.
    Sorry to hear about you having to sell some keepers. Thanks for the detailed post. Did you use First Class 'make an offer' functionality? That's a pretty good deal.