timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Captain Willard Prospex Seiko SPB151 & SPB153

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Tomatio View Post
    Looks great, might have to get one for mine
    https://www.gsandw.co.uk/collections...trap-green-red

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

What's the consensus? £1,200 is a lot but I've just been emailed a code for 20% off bringing the black on bracelet down to £960 inc delivery.

Seems like a lot of money. Even at 20% off it feels punchy. You can't get the black without the bracelet and the bracelet is an extra £200. A lot of money for something I'll never use.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What's the consensus? £1,200 is a lot but I've just been emailed a code for 20% off bringing the black on bracelet down to £960 inc delivery.

Seems like a lot of money. Even at 20% off it feels punchy. You can't get the black without the bracelet and the bracelet is an extra £200. A lot of money for something I'll never use.
    In my opinion - it's still too much.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Having bought one I can honestly say it is worth the price. Mine runs to around 2 seconds a day, everything lines up and finishing is very good. It made me go buy the SLA033 to keep it company. The 151 is actually easier to wind/adjust and the crystal has a nicer distortion effect on the minute markers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Having bought one I can honestly say it is worth the price. Mine runs to around 2 seconds a day, everything lines up and finishing is very good. It made me go buy the SLA033 to keep it company. The 151 is actually easier to wind/adjust and the crystal has a nicer distortion effect on the minute markers.

I've bought four watches this year, sigh and my aim was to cull, I was firmly set on the Willard but couldn't get over the price, I'd never tried a turtle case watch so bought a Steeldive just to see how I would get along with the case shape prior to spending the best part of a grand on the Seiko version. The Steeldive has all the attributes you mention above, Seiko just like Rolex is simply the name on the dial.

The SLA033 is beautiful and no doubt that is the one to get if you have big wrists and the money. I think the SPB will be good, I just don't think it will be £920 good, but I haven't handled one.

I sold an SLA021 MM300 fairly recently for about double that and I have a feeling the SPB won't feel 50% as good as the SLA did.

Seriously Willard homages look and are just as good for around £100

Steeldive one is frankly amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no doubt the Steeldive ones will be good. I doubt the real one is worth 10x the price but at the same time I think it will be a better watch than the Steeldive and I'd much prefer the Seiko if going for a Willard.

Blog Entries
    IMO well worth the money ...

Craftsman
    I have been down the homage road with a mm300 clone. It was great but still prefer the real OEM version.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    This is the picture I keep coming back to...

I really like the look of the SPB151 but I'm struggling with the retail price too, and I love my Seiko's. Would I buy one? Reluctantly.

I built my own for a sixth of the money, and that included the raised sapphire, lock signed crown and Seiko movement.

The blue limited edition version is on the cards, purchase wise.
    Last edited by j111dja; 13th November 2020 at 00:03.

+1

- - - Updated - - -

Here is mine

I did fall a little for the 55th anniversary LE model but thought the £1230 RRP on bracelet was a bit punchy. Managed to get a 23% discount plus a free Wolf watch roll which pushed the deal. It’s a lovely piece but the original PRS68 sat alongside it feels the better of the two and that retailed at £495 from memory. Mind you second hand Smiths are now exchanging hands for in excess of £600.. but they still represent good value IMHO. I just can’t get on with the Steeldive offerings.

I'm not in anyway being critical of those who choose to buy the full on Seiko version, but I am now of the opinion that the substantial price differential of many brands such as Rolex, Seiko, Omega and many others simply can't be justified, and whilst I still have a couple of Rolex and a couple of Seiko in the watch box, I'll be sticking with other brands from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    I did fall a little for the 55th anniversary LE model but thought the £1230 RRP on bracelet was a bit punchy. Managed to get a 23% discount plus a free Wolf watch roll which pushed the deal. It’s a lovely piece but the original PRS68 sat alongside it feels the better of the two and that retailed at £495 from memory.
    When I add my 20% code the freeWolf watch roll vanishes. Might be a different AD. Not sure how much the Wolf adds (they're 70% off ATM) but I wouldn't mind trying one out.

When I add my 20% code the freeWolf watch roll vanishes. Might be a different AD. Not sure how much the Wolf adds (they're 70% off ATM) but I wouldn't mind trying one out.
    Goldsmiths Wileeeeeey. Mine disappeared too and just thought it would be included in the delivery. It wasn’t. A quick email to customer services and they sent one out the same day. It’s a nice roll. The wife nabbed it as it housed her two smaller watches quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Goldsmiths Wileeeeeey. Mine disappeared too and just thought it would be included in the delivery. It wasn’t. A quick email to customer services and they sent one out the same day. It’s a nice roll. The wife nabbed it as it housed her two smaller watches quite nicely.

Ah same one then. You did well to get 23% from them, I maxed out at 20%. Still debating it.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm not in anyway being critical of those who choose to buy the full on Seiko version, but I am now of the opinion that the substantial price differential of many brands such as Rolex, Seiko, Omega and many others simply can't be justified, and whilst I still have a couple of Rolex and a couple of Seiko in the watch box, I'll be sticking with other brands from now on.
    It’s more than a fair argument to be fair and one I endorse too in the main. Doubt I will ever revisit new Omegas or Rolex after selling mine a few years ago now. Likewise vowed to never buy a new Seiko again after selling the LEMM300 and taking a fair hit on it after less than a month of ownership. Ironically they are worth £1500 - £2k over original rrp now just to really rub it in. Not sure what came over me to buy this one. Really is unlike me to be so frivolous these days. No regrets though and hopefully it’s a long termer.

Ah same one then. You did well to get 23% from them, I maxed out at 20%. Still debating it.
    They were offering a standard 15% off but 20% for key workers. Had an additional 3% off on that particular day for some reason. Missed a further £20 off with top Cashback but the site was having a mare and didn’t want to risk missing out on the stock allocation.

Master

Someone has my SLA017 on long term loan so this to take it’s place for a while.
    Very impressed
    Not as good a negotiator as some on here by the sounds of it(£900 paid) but very happy with it.
    Ideal for gym etc.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    Seiko introduces the new captain Willard prospex Seiko SPB151 & SPB153

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ex-introducing

Late to this party but a SPB143 and SPB151 just landed and I just wondered if anyone else here has both.

What surprised me is that the SPB151 /looks/ the smaller of the tow due to the way the lugs come to a point and the polished lower profile of the case, which to a degree disappears.

Case bezel Spring-bar spacing L-L Thick Thick less debossed logo
    Seiko spb147 40.7 40 42.4 47.7 13.8 13.4
    Seiko spb151 42.4 40.5 40.1 45.9 14 13.6

Before acquiring them I was 90% sure I'd prefer the SPB143 as I thought the SPB151 would look like a bulbous novelty item but now I'm torn...

Also note above the spring-bar spacing is substantially narrower and (though I didn't record it) IIRC the holes are ~0.8mm closer to the plane of the caseback.

Does anyone else have both?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkes View Post
    Late to this party but a SPB143 and SPB151 just landed and I just wondered if anyone else here has both.

What surprised me is that the SPB151 /looks/ the smaller of the tow due to the way the lugs come to a point and the polished lower profile of the case, which to a degree disappears.

Case bezel Spring-bar spacing L-L Thick Thick less debossed logo
    Seiko spb147 40.7 40 42.4 47.7 13.8 13.4
    Seiko spb151 42.4 40.5 40.1 45.9 14 13.6

Before acquiring them I was 90% sure I'd prefer the SPB143 as I thought the SPB151 would look like a bulbous novelty item but now I'm torn...

Also note above the spring-bar spacing is substantially narrower and (though I didn't record it) IIRC the holes are ~0.8mm closer to the plane of the caseback.

Does anyone else have both?
    I prefer the dial on the SPB143 (subburst)
    The seconds hand on the SPB151
    The crystal on the SPB151
    The bezel material on the SPB143 (the brushed, engraved and coated steel is a different league to the boggo aluminium on the SPB151)
    The bezel width on the SPB151
    (the bracelets appear identical bar end-links)

Decisions!
    Last edited by clarkes; 12th November 2020 at 22:26. Reason: typo

Journeyman
    I love my SPB151, I've changed it to a tropic strap and it looks great

Master
    Has anyone sourced any alternative rubber straps for these that come in a shorter size
    I do like the seiko strap that comes with the SPB153 but would like a shorter length.
    Any recommendations welcome.
    Last edited by Hood; 14th November 2020 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Has anyone sourced any alternative rubber straps for these that come in a shorter size
    I do like the seiko strap that comes with the SPB153 but would like a shorter length.
    Amy recommendations welcome.
    Might be worth a look at crafter blue. They're a bit too small for me and I normally wear the regular Seiko straps fine.

Master
    Might be worth a look at crafter blue. They're a bit too small for me and I normally wear the regular Seiko straps fine.
    Thanks
    nice straps but all seem to be curved

Journeyman
    I bought 2 unkle seiko straps for mine. Look great, but unfortunately I cant seem to get the optimum fit.

Blog Entries
    I can’t see on their website any crafter blue straps for the Willard ?

I can’t see on their website any crafter blue straps for the Willard ?

Since returning one for being too small I haven't been back onto their website. Assumed they would have something for it.