closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 50 of 50

Thread: Space watches

  1. #1

    Space watches

    Having just bought a vintage Sinn 140/142, Iím getting an appetite at building up a collection of significant space watches.
    I also own a 1970 omega speedmaster, and a Seiko 6139 Pogue.

    What other space watches are worth purchasing - please put up links/images and any history relevant to the watch :)

  2. #2
    Master Lampoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lincs. The bit with hills.
    Posts
    5,829
    Don't forget all the Russian stuff! Gagarin's Sturmanskie and Leonov's Strela being the 2 most well known:





    More Russian watch space things here: https://www.netgrafik.ch/russian_space_watches.htm

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,347
    Off the top of my head I would say:
    The Fortis B42 or Cosmonaut
    The Breitling Cosmonaute
    Glycine Airman
    There are a few GShocks as well

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    75
    David Scott took a Bulova prototype up on the Apollo 15, now the Lunar. It's quartz though so's got no soul :)

    Most modern day astronauts use G-Shocks don't they?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Off the top of my head I would say:
    The Fortis B42 or Cosmonaut
    The Breitling Cosmonaute
    Glycine Airman
    There are a few GShocks as well
    Yep - a nice Fortis would be a nice addition !

  7. #7
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by alzone View Post
    David Scott took a Bulova prototype up on the Apollo 15, now the Lunar. It's quartz though so's got no soul :)

    Most modern day astronauts use G-Shocks don't they?
    The 'reissue' has far too little in common with the Bulova 88510/01 that Dave Scott wore on the lunar surface.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  8. #8
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,978
    What about the Omega X-33? Space pedigree as long as your arm, super accurate, and packed with genuinely useful features.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    What about the Omega X-33? Space pedigree as long as your arm, super accurate, and packed with genuinely useful features.
    Agree - nice watch

  10. #10
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    19,029
    Gerlach Kosmonauta reissue - yours for £250







  11. #11
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    So many different watches have served the varied purposes of those who have left the atmosphere that there are now very many different interesting options.


    Kicking off with the Russians, this was the first watch in space. The Pobeda 34-K which went up on Korabl-Sputnik 4 on March 9th, 1961 with Chernushka.




    Sturmanskies were next into orbit, famously worn by the early cosmonauts.




    Remaining popular through the decades.




    Also favoured by early soviet space travellers, here's Vostok...




    ... and Strela/Sekonda.








    Leonov wore a flightmaster 911 (although maybe only in training).




    And here's a Russian Elektronika-55 model as worn by Viktor Afanasyev on Soyuz TM-11.






    More recent cosmonauts were issued with a Fortis.




    Moving into Europe, there's Yema...




    ...and Sinn, as you have mentioned.




    Different generations of the Omega X-33, were issued by NASA and the ESA.






    Sticking with NASA, I covered the Timex Data Link watches here:

    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...SA-Smart-Watch

    Of which many variations have been in space.








    And whilst we're on LCD we shouldn't overlook the Seiko A829 with the nifty bezel.




    A fair number of Casio G-Shocks have been qualified by NASA for space flight.






    That's just scratching the surface. Enjoy your quest, it's a lot of fun.



    Last edited by Mr Curta; 12th November 2020 at 23:06.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I agree with the previous post regarding Sturmanskie's

    The Poljot Sturmanskie Navigator 40th Annivsary edition is superb as its so close in size and design to the one that Gagarin wore.

    Hand wind, 33mm with 16mm lug width. Wears bigger so still a practical proposition.

    They come up on eBay every now and then. The one I had came from a WTB on WUS - a guy in the States as I recall.

    >>Edit - Ive just done a quick Google search and it looks as though this has been rereleased as the

    Sturmanskie 2609-​3751470 with the correct 33mm case size

    https://www.timeshop4you.co.uk/watch...09-3751470.htm

    A fairly close copy - well at least they have the non radial script on the dial correct as opposed to all of the larger case homages

    Love that 33mm reissue. The caseback in the one linked on the timeshop4you site is different when comparing to a search for ‘Sturmanskie 2609-​3751470’, they appear to have a plain caseback with only numbers engraved. Did they do two reissues? Or is the timeshop4you showing the wrong watch?


    Edit: The timeshop4you link is actually showing the caseback for the 40mm auto version.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 12th November 2020 at 23:12.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I agree with the previous post regarding the Sturmanskie Navigator, which was standard issue for Soviet jet pilots in the 50's

    The Poljot Sturmanskie Navigator 40th Annivsary edition is superb as its so close in size and design to the one that Gagarin wore.

    Hand wind, 33mm with 16mm lug width. Wears bigger so still a practical proposition.

    They come up on eBay every now and then. The one I had came from a WTB on WUS - a guy in the States as I recall.
    >> Just located a thread I started on this:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=sturmanskie

    >>Edit - Ive just done a quick Google search and it looks as though this has been rereleased as the

    Sturmanskie 2609-​3751470 with the correct 33mm case size - made by Volmax

    https://www.timeshop4you.co.uk/watch...09-3751470.htm

    A fairly close copy - well at least they have the non radial script on the dial correct as opposed to all of the larger case homages
    Yes, it's really good - a lesson for Bulova on how it should be done.



    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  14. #14
    There are a couple of Bulova watches that may be of interest. The Bulova accutron astronaut was used by test pilots flying sr71, u2 and x15 planes. The pilots of the x15 got astronaut wings for flying so high.

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bu...lane-ever-made

    Thereís also a bulova chronograph that went to the moon on Apollo 15 itís mentioned here:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ev...nt-to-the-moon

    Also the mission clicks on board the Apollo space craft were accutron movement based.

  15. #15
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    So many different watches have served the varied purposes of those who have left the atmosphere that there are now very many different interesting options.
    Cracking post Matthew

  16. #16
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    591
    What are the odd/weird markings on the strela and sekonda at 3minutes 6 and 9minutes on the chronograph (right dial)?

    There must be a reason why they have prominent marking in comparison to 5mins and 10.

  17. #17
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    19,029
    Traditionally, chronographs had an indication at the 3 and 6 minute marks - to show a 20th and a 10th of a minute. There is a wrongly held beilef that this was due to phone call rates being based on 3 minute intervals, but these markings appeared on chronograph dials before the introduction of this system by telephone companies.

  18. #18
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Worthy of a mention is the very rare Omega Speedmaster Professional LCD 186.0004
    And let's not forget the X-33 Speedmaster which is still in issue for NASA spaceflights.


  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Worthy of a mention is the very rare Omega Speedmaster Professional LCD 186.0004

    Manufactured briefly for 18 months between 1977 and 1978 and aimed at NASA's Shuttle Programme. Whilst worn in training and on some early flights it never went any further.

    I saw one in a jewellers shop window in 1978 and it was more expensive than the conventional Speedmaster next to it.

    Not that long ago when one of the limited number remaining occasionally came up for sale on eBay or WUS you could pick them up for 400 to 600 quid. Now you are looking at 1.5K plus.

    36mm but wears smaller, more like a 33m in my view.

    Marvelous things and one of the few pieces that I miss having sold it on.



    There is one on eBay at £3.8k !!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    And let's not forget the X-33 Speedmaster which is still in issue for NASA spaceflights.

    Presumably it was only the 1st and 2nd generation that have the NASA connection

  21. #21
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Presumably it was only the 1st and 2nd generation that have the NASA connection
    Yes, as I understand it. The Gen 2 is the currently issued one.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Yes, as I understand it. The Gen 2 is the currently issued one.
    Not familiar with these....
    Whatís the differences between gen 1 and 2 ?
    Gen 1 is presumably more desirable ?

    Gen 3 is the skywalker model - so - any connection with space other than the model number ?

  23. #23
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Not familiar with these....
    What’s the differences between gen 1 and 2 ?
    Gen 1 is presumably more desirable ?

    Gen 3 is the skywalker model - so - any connection with space other than the model number ?
    Crown, bezel, movement. Gen 2 tends to be more popular due to the groovy crown and temperature compensated movement. I'll do a proper comparison sometime.




    Gen 1 - polished bezel




    Gen 2




    The Gen 2 matt bezel looks almost white in some lighting.




    Gen 3 'Skywalker' is issued by the ESA, see the casebacks in my earlier post.




    Gen 3 'Solar Impulse' LE

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 13th November 2020 at 22:57.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  24. #24
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Not familiar with these....
    Whatís the differences between gen 1 and 2 ?
    Gen 1 is presumably more desirable ?

    Gen 3 is the skywalker model - so - any connection with space other than the model number ?
    Gen 2 has matte bezel and pushers. Also a lume pip on the bezel. Plus a different crown. The Gen 2 is rarer and more desirable.

  25. #25
    Blimey - what a great resource on the detail - love it :)

    So any differences (other than colour) between skywalker and solar impulse ?

  26. #26
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Blimey - what a great resource on the detail - love it :)

    So any differences (other than colour) between skywalker and solar impulse ?
    It's cosmetic. An LE to mark Omega's involvement with the Solar Impulse project, the team circumnavigated the globe in a solar powered aircraft. Not seen in space as far as I am aware.

    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  27. #27
    Mr curta - I salute your unhealthy knowledge on this topic !!!!

  28. #28
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  29. #29
    Last question for tonight - did the gen 3 x33ís cone with either fabric or titanium strap option or both ?

  30. #30
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Last question for tonight - did the gen 3 x33’s cone with either fabric or titanium strap option or both ?
    Skywalker - titanium bracelet
    Solar Impulse - NATO

    Same price...

    My preference is Solar Impulse on the bracelet and Skywalker on a very dark grey Kevlar. The NATO is a bit OTT for my liking.

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 13th November 2020 at 23:28.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  31. #31
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    There's another X-33 LE, the Regatta. The least said about that the better.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  32. #32
    Decent price for a full set x33 solar impulse ? £2.5k ?

  33. #33
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Decent price for a full set x33 solar impulse ? £2.5k ?
    £2.5K is a bit toppy, £2.3K is a very good price but they don't come up that often.

    Finnies was selling them new for £2.3K about a year back. https://www.finnies.com/watches-c4/o...edition-p11273
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    £2.5K is a bit toppy, £2.3K is a very good price but they don't come up that often.

    Finnies was selling them new for £2.3K about a year back. https://www.finnies.com/watches-c4/o...edition-p11273
    Discontinued model now ? I realise Iím totally not
    Up to speed on these !!!

  35. #35
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Discontinued model now ? I realise Iím totally not
    Up to speed on these !!!
    The Solar Impulse is, they only made 1,924 of them.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Thats right - confused me as well!

    - - - Updated - - -



    I'm going to give one of these a try - will report back when it arrives
    Iím very keen to know what you think. Iím very interested also! Which retailer are you going with?

  37. #37
    Journeyman Ascalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    75
    Great thread!
    Glad to see the Russian knowledge here, as it is an often overlooked heritage line in this space :)

    However, I would add that the Speedmaster Professional Mark II is an important addition.



    While we all know the story of the privately owned Speedmasters and then the selection of the Speedmaster by NASA, the fact remains that while what became known as the moon watch was chosen for space, the Mark II was designed for use in space.

    Now, I know that comes with lots of caveats, but with the same movement, dial and hands as its predecessor, the bezel, crystal and case were designed to cope better with the rigors of being worn both inside and outside a space suit. So while not quite a full execution of the Project Alaska research, the Mark II is still a significant development in tool watches designed for use beyond this planet.

    While the CK2998 is usually regarded as the first Omega in Space (FOIS), and the moon watch is a 145.022, the Mark II is the first Omega designed for space.

    There is also a very strong, though as yet unproven, possibility it went on a Skylab mission with Ed Gibson.

    A great underdog story.

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cockfosters & Cupertino
    Posts
    2,668
    How about the Halda Space Discovery?



    (taken from https://www.ablogtowatch.com/halda-s...-watch-review/)

    Sadly no longer available, but the full spec is still at the Halda site: https://www.haldawatches.com/halda-space-discovery/

    simon

  39. #39
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    How about the Halda Space Discovery?



    (taken from https://www.ablogtowatch.com/halda-s...-watch-review/)

    Sadly no longer available, but the full spec is still at the Halda site: https://www.haldawatches.com/halda-space-discovery/

    simon
    Magnificent beasts, there's one currently on eBay in Australia. Out of my price range which is probably just as well.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HALDA-SPA...MAAOSwr0ReFlr2
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  40. #40
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,436
    Some here...




    And a Cosmonaute dive watch.

    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  41. #41
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    ..................

    While we all know the story of the privately owned Speedmasters and then the selection of the Speedmaster by NASA, the fact remains that while what became known as the moon watch was chosen for space, the Mark II was designed for use in space.

    Now, I know that comes with lots of caveats, but with the same movement, dial and hands as its predecessor, the bezel, crystal and case were designed to cope better with the rigors of being worn both inside and outside a space suit. So while not quite a full execution of the Project Alaska research, the Mark II is still a significant development in tool watches designed for use beyond this planet.

    While the CK2998 is usually regarded as the first Omega in Space (FOIS), and the moon watch is a 145.022, the Mark II is the first Omega designed for space.

    There is also a very strong, though as yet unproven, possibility it went on a Skylab mission with Ed Gibson.

    A great underdog story.




    Further on the premise that the Speedy MkI was a sports and racing chrono that was chosen for space missions... whereas the MkII was designed for space.

    Another watch that was specifically designed for space was the Bulova Lunar Pilot and you can see the similarities with the MkII especially around the flat crystal and the inboard tachy scale.



    It also took until the X-33 before Omega discovered the wisdom of paddle pushers for space work.

    The way I understand it, the reason behind NASA not using the MkII was that they couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle and expense of qualifying another watch when they already had a watch that was qualified.
    "All clocks break, and what breaks them is Time.Ē Ė Marty Rubin

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I've put in an order with the German based one in my initial link - mainly as they are advertising at the lowest price I can find. However - they have mixed reviews so its a bit of a gamble. Used PP which makes claiming a refund easier. They did respond quickly to my email yesterday saying it would be posted on Monday morning. We shall see what happens.

    I have been looking on eBay sporadically for one of the 40th anniversary ones without any luck - I would not have been aware of this current version had I not carried out a spur of the moment Google search sparked by reading this thread.

    Incidentally the search turned up a small stock of 40th anniversary ones at another German dealer for about £250. Its unclear as to whether these are NOS or someone at the Volmax factory has cobbled them together from the part bins. Probably the latter.

    In any event I much prefer the plain case back of this current release.

    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

    Thanks for that. They seem pretty legit and have an actual store so Iím sure all will be well. Did they confirm it is the 33mm model and not the 40mm?

    Iím very interested in one of these so will be watching this thread with interest.

  43. #43
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,000


    The original in carbon fibre with proprietary shock system and mission timer.



    R.O.1 SPACE Limited Edition – Dutch ESA Astronaut Andre Kuipers' Watch
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/r-o-...rs-watch/#gref



    R.O.1 Space (Lots of Pics)
    Roland Oostwegel RO1 Space Andere Kuipers
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/487701...th/6606019679/

    If you want to buy
    https://shop.dutchjewelcompany.com/en-gb/ro1-space/
    "All clocks break, and what breaks them is Time.Ē Ė Marty Rubin

  44. #44
    Journeyman Ascalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    75
    Actually, there is another space lineage not mentioned yet: the Chinese Fiyta Spacemaster chronograph.



    Intriguing.

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    261
    I don't know about "significant", but I'm 100 % sure I've seen pictures of an astronaut wearing a Citizen Aqualand JP200 somewhere online. Can't find it right now, but I'll hopefully be able to edit it in here later.

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    261
    Found it! The astronaut is called Norman Thagard, and the picture was taken on the Russian space station MIR in 1995.
    Last edited by JimSclavunos; 14th November 2020 at 19:27.

  47. #47
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Found it! The astronaut is called Norman Thagard, and the picture was taken on the Russian space statin MIR in 1995.
    Thanks for that, I love this shot of the groundbreaking mission.

    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  48. #48
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,198
    OP, can I recommend this thread as well:


    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ospace-history

    Although I started it about a Fortis, it turned into a space watch love-in, with excellent contributions from MrCurta and others.

  49. #49
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Traditionally, chronographs had an indication at the 3 and 6 minute marks - to show a 20th and a 10th of a minute. There is a wrongly held beilef that this was due to phone call rates being based on 3 minute intervals, but these markings appeared on chronograph dials before the introduction of this system by telephone companies.
    Okay thanks.

    It still seems odd that they would have it at fractions of a 30mins dial and still have 5 10 minute markings as well.

  50. #50
    Master bobbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Cossethay, England
    Posts
    8,165
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    What are the odd/weird markings on the strela and sekonda at 3minutes 6 and 9minutes on the chronograph (right dial)?

    There must be a reason why they have prominent marking in comparison to 5mins and 10.
    This is from page 11, La Suisse Horlogere, No. 3, 1951, "The Main Types of Chronograph Explained by Their Dials" describes a minute-recording chronograph with "Three-minute divisions for telephone calls."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information