closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Captain Willard Prospex Seiko SPB151 & SPB153

After I ummed & ahhed for long enough I bought a Steelldive 6105 £119 delivered, complete with it’s own Pelican-Case.

Ordered on Wednesday delivered today. And I really can’t fault it for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I thought Timefactors/Smiths were going to do a 40mm version of the PRS-68 (The Baby Willard)

Perhaps - if people don't like the dial and its layout on the Seiko re-issue, the Smiths would be the better bet?

I don’t think they need to do a 40mm version, the 44mm version is really deceiving and wears like a 40/41 mm watch anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I thought Timefactors/Smiths were going to do a 40mm version of the PRS-68 (The Baby Willard)

Perhaps - if people don't like the dial and its layout on the Seiko re-issue, the Smiths would be the better bet?
    I would have thought that a 40mm case with so much case visible around the sides would need a strangely small bezel and dial, if the watch does get produced. And unfortunately the 68 is discontinued and sold out.
    Also if people dont like the fact the new Seiko dial layout isn't a faithful enough copy of the original, why would they prefer one with a different trade name? (Caveat: I would dearly love to own a prs-68, so this is not a bring down).

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seiko are killing me at the moment.

I desperately want one. And the king turtle. I can't afford either. And I need an SKX before they disappear. And I'll never part with my current Turtle.

I might be forced to sell the majority of my collection to end up with four extremely similar seiko divers...

Craftsman
    I like the prospex branding. I don't understand why people have a problem with it. And I think it's entirely fitting for entry level and mid tier dive watches, which is what the 6105/6309/7002/SKX lines have always represented. Proper tool watches for ordinary people.

Journeyman
    It doesn't seem that long ago when you could buy a vintage for a few hundred pounds.
    I will just add it to the long list of watches I should have bought with hindsight.

I have just received a steeldive sd1970 from ebay for £120, for the money I'm very happy.
    Its unbelievable what the Chinese are producing in terms of value.

Craftsman
    Looks like the watches are a good candidate for those who can't be hassled with the vintage pieces. I guess studying up the originality of these this is another future rabbit hole.

Master
    A fellow WIS here in Perth showed me a genuine, all original Seiko 6105 as worn by an officer in Vietnam that had completed 3 tours. It was an amazing watch to hold and see and if I am honest, I felt strange even holding it knowing what it would have been through and seen. He also had the photos of the officer wearing said watch. Sadly, I don't have a photo. I don't think I would be comfortable wearing it if it were mine.
    Last edited by stix; 6th July 2020 at 12:20.

Looking forward to trying one, can't yet decide on green or black,

though confess I'm thinking seriously of doing a WTB for the Smiths.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Really need to see the green one in person, from pictures the bezel looks “weird” but wouldn’t be the first time pictures deceive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Really need to see the green one in person, from pictures the bezel looks “weird” but wouldn’t be the first time pictures deceive me.

You're not the only one commenting on this. Most seem to want the bezel to have the same colour as the dial, but I reckon that wouldn't look great either. It seems better to have a slightly darker coloured bezel. But have Seiko chosen the right colour, I also am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You're not the only one commenting on this. Most seem to want the bezel to have the same colour as the dial, but I reckon that wouldn't look great either. It seems better to have a slightly darker coloured bezel. But have Seiko chosen the right colour, I also am not sure.
    I'm left wondering if it's to give the bezel a slightly ''sun bleached'' effect?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm left wondering if it's to give the bezel a slightly ''sun bleached'' effect?
    Not a bad way of looking at it. I’ve thought of it as looking a bit like the skin of an avocado. In that respect the colour combo does kinda go...

As they aren't limited editions I'd like to think that in a few months time creation or someone similar will be having a deal on them.

I want to see them in person, in particular to see the "live" effect of the bezel (and to actually understand which is the material of the bezel insert)

I'm in no hurry.

And Topcashback are currently offering 14.02% cashback on full price items. Makes the green one a smidge under £860.

I really like those but am struggling to see the value over the Turtle. As far as I see it has a sapphire crystal and slightly upgraded movement over the Turtle. I can’t see how this makes the watch nearly 3 times the cost of the Turtle (still want one though).

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I really like those but am struggling to see the value over the Turtle. As far as I see it has a sapphire crystal and slightly upgraded movement over the Turtle. I can’t see how this makes the watch nearly 3 times the cost of the Turtle (still want one though).
    I feel exactly the same. Only thing putting me off a King Turtle is the day. Why can't Seiko do watches like these without a day or a date?

Apprentice
    Those originals look great, what's the model of the one on the right? (Excuse my ignorance)

I think I might be getting a thing for Seikos. I wonder why they dont do exact reissues of vintage ones though with improved movements rather than distinct or even subtle changes?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Here as the original versions, except I think the Martin Sheen watch is what's called a PROOF/PROOF

Master
    By the way, you can get 15% off with this code - CLD158Q3WZC7K

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Different case, dial and handset as well. Not sure if they are any better quality but it is basically a different watch. Plus of course it’s a re release of an iconic Seiko and we all love that!

Master
    Couldn't resist!! Similar green to the Sumo i had - completely different shade dependant on light.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Couldn't resist!! Similar green to the Sumo i had - completely different shade dependant on light.

Very nice, congrats !

Which is your feeling ? Is the bezel insert "hardened" ? Which is the discount % for this new Willard ?

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Very nice, congrats !

Which is your feeling ? Is the bezel insert "hardened" ? Which is the discount % for this new Willard ?
    Whats the issue with the insert? Surely aluminium is a proven material?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Whats the issue with the insert? Surely aluminium is a proven material?
    Indeed, even the hardest insert can get scratched or chipped. At least an aluminium insert is cheap and simple to replace.

Master

Is the case stainless steel?

Both versions look great! Enough personality that I’m sure many will be able to justify buying both...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is the case stainless steel?
    Indeed it is - 42mm, aluminium bezel insert.

Master
    Set this 48hrs ago - can't complain about the accuracy!

Such a shame about the “X”. Just can’t not see it now. Otherwise spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It looks great.

The Turtles were plagued with misaligned chapter rings and misaligned bezels. We all know that, and I have lost count as to how many Turtles I've had to realign bezels and chapter rings on since their first production run. That's a watch at less than £500. As such, you would expect Seiko to sort QC issues out on their £1200 Willard on bracelet, but no. Feedback so far is not great, what with misaligned bezel inserts and misaligned hands. It's the minority but it's not good enough.

There has been a huge surge in Seiko powered homage dive watches at present. Based on my experience, they appear better built, run more accurately, have better quality crown assemblies and are less than £350. Some are less than £160. That's when compared to a modern Turtle.

That's the reality.
    Last edited by j111dja; 6th July 2020 at 13:57.

Master
    Good video here of the new SPB151 if you’ve not seen it already

https://youtu.be/0ds7ZwDcXl0

Set this 48hrs ago - can't complain about the accuracy!

Which is your overall feedback up to now ?

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    It looks great.

The Turtles were plagued with misaligned chapter rings and misaligned bezels. We all know that, and I have lost count as to how many Turtles I've had to realign bezels and chapter rings on since their first production run. That's a watch at less than £500. As such, you would expect Seiko to sort QC issues out on their £1200 Willard on bracelet, but no. Feedback so far is not great, what with misaligned bezel inserts and misaligned hands. It's the minority but it's not good enough.

There has been a huge surge in Seiko powered homage dive watches at present. Based on my experience, they appear better built, run more accurately, have better quality crown assemblies and are less than £350. Some are less than £160. That's when compared to a modern Turtle.

That's the reality.
    I agree, it's a nice watch, but it's overpriced

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Which is your overall feedback up to now ?
    What was an impulse buy has now become a firm favourite, and has hardly left my wrist over the past 2 weeks. Fit and finish is very good - a big step up from the SRP Turtles. The 6R35 movement seems very good as well - this one keeps time to within a second or two per day - the one I had in the green sumo I had was similar.
    Is it worth £1k? Probably not, but then what watch is worth it’s retail? It certainly gives me great pleasure.

What was an impulse buy has now become a firm favourite, and has hardly left my wrist over the past 2 weeks. Fit and finish is very good - a big step up from the SRP Turtles. The 6R35 movement seems very good as well - this one keeps time to within a second or two per day - the one I had in the green sumo I had was similar.
    Is it worth £1k? Probably not, but then what watch is worth it’s retail? It certainly gives me great pleasure.
    Thanks for your feedback.

I agree, it is overpriced, but it is a real nice watch.

I was considering one of these but ended up buying a sla033 instead, I’ve always loved the design had the smiths Homage which was very nice and a sharky but I have a personal problem with Homage watches tbh I try to wear and enjoy them but a little voice inside my head keeps saying it’s not the real thing

Yes I paid the premium but I’m very happy with it, I got a reasonable deal on it New from Germany and basically paid the same price as a new Tudor 58

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I was considering one of these but ended up buying a sla033 instead, I’ve always loved the design had the smiths Homage which was very nice and a sharky but I have a personal problem with Homage watches tbh I try to wear and enjoy them but a little voice inside my head keeps saying it’s not the real thing Yes I paid the premium but I’m very happy with it, I got a reasonable deal on it New from Germany and basically paid the same price as a new Tudor 58

The 151 arrived today. Pleased with it so far!

I was considering one of these but ended up buying a sla033 instead, I’ve always loved the design had the smiths Homage which was very nice and a sharky but I have a personal problem with Homage watches tbh I try to wear and enjoy them but a little voice inside my head keeps saying it’s not the real thing

Yes I paid the premium but I’m very happy with it, I got a reasonable deal on it New from Germany and basically paid the same price as a new Tudor 58

Nice, but still not the real thing …

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Nice, but still not the real thing …
    It’s not a Seiko?

It’s not a Seiko?
    It was tongue in cheek and I meant it's still not a 6105.

A bit earlier in the thread there was an argument about why would anyone buy one of the new releases when an original 6105 could be had for less. You can't actually get a decent 6105 for less than the new Willard but the argument got lost. The SLA33 is about as close as you can get and I'd be happy to have one

I'm still going to try the SPB151 when the time's right.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    The 151 arrived today. Pleased with it so far!

Put it on a nato. Feels nice.

https://i.imgur.com/NCu4zWu.jpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Put it on a nato. Feels nice.

https://i.imgur.com/NCu4zWu.jpg

.... or an MN!

Journeyman