closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 130 of 130

Thread: New Captain Willard Prospex Seiko SPB151 & SPB153

  1. #101
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Tomatio View Post
    Looks great, might have to get one for mine
    https://www.gsandw.co.uk/collections...trap-green-red

    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

  2. #102
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    What's the consensus? £1,200 is a lot but I've just been emailed a code for 20% off bringing the black on bracelet down to £960 inc delivery.

    Seems like a lot of money. Even at 20% off it feels punchy. You can't get the black without the bracelet and the bracelet is an extra £200. A lot of money for something I'll never use.

  3. #103
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    24,833
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What's the consensus? £1,200 is a lot but I've just been emailed a code for 20% off bringing the black on bracelet down to £960 inc delivery.

    Seems like a lot of money. Even at 20% off it feels punchy. You can't get the black without the bracelet and the bracelet is an extra £200. A lot of money for something I'll never use.
    In my opinion - it's still too much.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  4. #104
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Caldicot, South Wales.
    Posts
    727
    Having bought one I can honestly say it is worth the price. Mine runs to around 2 seconds a day, everything lines up and finishing is very good. It made me go buy the SLA033 to keep it company. The 151 is actually easier to wind/adjust and the crystal has a nicer distortion effect on the minute markers.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #105
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    24,833
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Having bought one I can honestly say it is worth the price. Mine runs to around 2 seconds a day, everything lines up and finishing is very good. It made me go buy the SLA033 to keep it company. The 151 is actually easier to wind/adjust and the crystal has a nicer distortion effect on the minute markers.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've bought four watches this year, sigh and my aim was to cull, I was firmly set on the Willard but couldn't get over the price, I'd never tried a turtle case watch so bought a Steeldive just to see how I would get along with the case shape prior to spending the best part of a grand on the Seiko version. The Steeldive has all the attributes you mention above, Seiko just like Rolex is simply the name on the dial.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  6. #106
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    The SLA033 is beautiful and no doubt that is the one to get if you have big wrists and the money. I think the SPB will be good, I just don't think it will be £920 good, but I haven't handled one.

    I sold an SLA021 MM300 fairly recently for about double that and I have a feeling the SPB won't feel 50% as good as the SLA did.

  7. #107
    Seriously Willard homages look and are just as good for around £100

    Steeldive one is frankly amazing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    I have no doubt the Steeldive ones will be good. I doubt the real one is worth 10x the price but at the same time I think it will be a better watch than the Steeldive and I'd much prefer the Seiko if going for a Willard.

  9. #109
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    IMO well worth the money ...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Caldicot, South Wales.
    Posts
    727
    I have been down the homage road with a mm300 clone. It was great but still prefer the real OEM version.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #111
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    IMO well worth the money ...
    This is the picture I keep coming back to...

  12. #112
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,835
    I really like the look of the SPB151 but I'm struggling with the retail price too, and I love my Seiko's. Would I buy one? Reluctantly.

    I built my own for a sixth of the money, and that included the raised sapphire, lock signed crown and Seiko movement.





    The blue limited edition version is on the cards, purchase wise.
    Last edited by j111dja; 13th November 2020 at 00:03.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    IMO well worth the money ...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here is mine




  14. #114
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,540

    I did fall a little for the 55th anniversary LE model but thought the £1230 RRP on bracelet was a bit punchy. Managed to get a 23% discount plus a free Wolf watch roll which pushed the deal. Itís a lovely piece but the original PRS68 sat alongside it feels the better of the two and that retailed at £495 from memory. Mind you second hand Smiths are now exchanging hands for in excess of £600.. but they still represent good value IMHO. I just canít get on with the Steeldive offerings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    24,833
    I'm not in anyway being critical of those who choose to buy the full on Seiko version, but I am now of the opinion that the substantial price differential of many brands such as Rolex, Seiko, Omega and many others simply can't be justified, and whilst I still have a couple of Rolex and a couple of Seiko in the watch box, I'll be sticking with other brands from now on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  16. #116
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    I did fall a little for the 55th anniversary LE model but thought the £1230 RRP on bracelet was a bit punchy. Managed to get a 23% discount plus a free Wolf watch roll which pushed the deal. Itís a lovely piece but the original PRS68 sat alongside it feels the better of the two and that retailed at £495 from memory.
    When I add my 20% code the freeWolf watch roll vanishes. Might be a different AD. Not sure how much the Wolf adds (they're 70% off ATM) but I wouldn't mind trying one out.

  17. #117
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    When I add my 20% code the freeWolf watch roll vanishes. Might be a different AD. Not sure how much the Wolf adds (they're 70% off ATM) but I wouldn't mind trying one out.
    Goldsmiths Wileeeeeey. Mine disappeared too and just thought it would be included in the delivery. It wasnít. A quick email to customer services and they sent one out the same day. Itís a nice roll. The wife nabbed it as it housed her two smaller watches quite nicely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #118
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Goldsmiths Wileeeeeey. Mine disappeared too and just thought it would be included in the delivery. It wasnít. A quick email to customer services and they sent one out the same day. Itís a nice roll. The wife nabbed it as it housed her two smaller watches quite nicely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah same one then. You did well to get 23% from them, I maxed out at 20%. Still debating it.

  19. #119
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm not in anyway being critical of those who choose to buy the full on Seiko version, but I am now of the opinion that the substantial price differential of many brands such as Rolex, Seiko, Omega and many others simply can't be justified, and whilst I still have a couple of Rolex and a couple of Seiko in the watch box, I'll be sticking with other brands from now on.
    Itís more than a fair argument to be fair and one I endorse too in the main. Doubt I will ever revisit new Omegas or Rolex after selling mine a few years ago now. Likewise vowed to never buy a new Seiko again after selling the LEMM300 and taking a fair hit on it after less than a month of ownership. Ironically they are worth £1500 - £2k over original rrp now just to really rub it in. Not sure what came over me to buy this one. Really is unlike me to be so frivolous these days. No regrets though and hopefully itís a long termer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #120
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ah same one then. You did well to get 23% from them, I maxed out at 20%. Still debating it.
    They were offering a standard 15% off but 20% for key workers. Had an additional 3% off on that particular day for some reason. Missed a further £20 off with top Cashback but the site was having a mare and didnít want to risk missing out on the stock allocation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #121
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,999

    Someone has my SLA017 on long term loan so this to take itís place for a while.
    Very impressed
    Not as good a negotiator as some on here by the sounds of it(£900 paid) but very happy with it.
    Ideal for gym etc.

  22. #122
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    Seiko introduces the new captain Willard prospex Seiko SPB151 & SPB153

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ex-introducing



    Late to this party but a SPB143 and SPB151 just landed and I just wondered if anyone else here has both.

    What surprised me is that the SPB151 /looks/ the smaller of the tow due to the way the lugs come to a point and the polished lower profile of the case, which to a degree disappears.

    Case bezel Spring-bar spacing L-L Thick Thick less debossed logo
    Seiko spb147 40.7 40 42.4 47.7 13.8 13.4
    Seiko spb151 42.4 40.5 40.1 45.9 14 13.6

    Before acquiring them I was 90% sure I'd prefer the SPB143 as I thought the SPB151 would look like a bulbous novelty item but now I'm torn...

    Also note above the spring-bar spacing is substantially narrower and (though I didn't record it) IIRC the holes are ~0.8mm closer to the plane of the caseback.

    Does anyone else have both?

  23. #123
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkes View Post
    Late to this party but a SPB143 and SPB151 just landed and I just wondered if anyone else here has both.

    What surprised me is that the SPB151 /looks/ the smaller of the tow due to the way the lugs come to a point and the polished lower profile of the case, which to a degree disappears.

    Case bezel Spring-bar spacing L-L Thick Thick less debossed logo
    Seiko spb147 40.7 40 42.4 47.7 13.8 13.4
    Seiko spb151 42.4 40.5 40.1 45.9 14 13.6

    Before acquiring them I was 90% sure I'd prefer the SPB143 as I thought the SPB151 would look like a bulbous novelty item but now I'm torn...

    Also note above the spring-bar spacing is substantially narrower and (though I didn't record it) IIRC the holes are ~0.8mm closer to the plane of the caseback.

    Does anyone else have both?
    I prefer the dial on the SPB143 (subburst)
    The seconds hand on the SPB151
    The crystal on the SPB151
    The bezel material on the SPB143 (the brushed, engraved and coated steel is a different league to the boggo aluminium on the SPB151)
    The bezel width on the SPB151
    (the bracelets appear identical bar end-links)

    Decisions!
    Last edited by clarkes; 12th November 2020 at 22:26. Reason: typo

  24. #124
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    9
    I love my SPB151, I've changed it to a tropic strap and it looks great

  25. #125
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,999
    Has anyone sourced any alternative rubber straps for these that come in a shorter size
    I do like the seiko strap that comes with the SPB153 but would like a shorter length.
    Any recommendations welcome.
    Last edited by Hood; 14th November 2020 at 15:45.

  26. #126
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Has anyone sourced any alternative rubber straps for these that come in a shorter size
    I do like the seiko strap that comes with the SPB153 but would like a shorter length.
    Amy recommendations welcome.
    Might be worth a look at crafter blue. They're a bit too small for me and I normally wear the regular Seiko straps fine.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Might be worth a look at crafter blue. They're a bit too small for me and I normally wear the regular Seiko straps fine.
    Thanks
    nice straps but all seem to be curved

  28. #128
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    9
    I bought 2 unkle seiko straps for mine. Look great, but unfortunately I cant seem to get the optimum fit.

  29. #129
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I canít see on their website any crafter blue straps for the Willard ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #130
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I canít see on their website any crafter blue straps for the Willard ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Since returning one for being too small I haven't been back onto their website. Assumed they would have something for it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information