closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex, Patek, Tudor, Chopard & Chanel are leaving Baselworld

Rolex, Patek, Tudor, Chopard & Chanel are leaving Baselworld

Final nail in the coffin?

Quite strong words used to - obviously not happy!

It was a matter of time until more left the event, but this seems to be the nail in the coffin.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    The letter Rolex sent recently implied they weren’t happy and if anything looked after the underdog asking for a refund for all. A refund would have made no difference to the finances of Rolex but could have been make or break for a small player.

I guess either the response wasn’t acceptable, or the decision had been made before anyway. Rolex and Patek alone would have been enough to end the demand for Baselworld.

Craftsman
    Wonder when the greys will start selling inflated tickets to the new event.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No great surprise although I am surprised that there were not contractual obligations in place to commit them to at least the 2020/2021 event. Maybe they felt the unilateral decision to shift it to Jan 2021 was a breach of terms that rendered it null and void?

Was inevitable anyway, writings been on the wall for a while.

Apprentice
    Has to be the nail in the coffin for Basel World, i mean with the Swatch group absent, what big names are left that would draw the crowds? It's a shame to see it go though.

Craftsman
    It's got to be all over for Baselworld, but surely the show will just continue under a new name?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    Has to be the nail in the coffin for Basel World, i mean with the Swatch group absent, what big names are left that would draw the crowds?
    It doesn't sound like they're very interested in 'the crowds'. The release underlines that 'This new event will be geared predominantly towards retailers, the press and VIP customers'.

The Hodinkee report @

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...ave-baselworld

notes this, adding that 'the event will not have the strong consumer element that Baselworld's new management is emphasizing in repositioning its show'.

Craftsman

Winds

Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    Has to be the nail in the coffin for Basel World, i mean with the Swatch group absent, what big names are left that would draw the crowds? It's a shame to see it go though.
    The winds are a changing within the watch industry and the online model used by so many other consumer markets can no longer be ignored and has to be embraced for the industry.

Baselworld in truth is now defunct.

I would not want to be the Mayor or President of the Chamber of Commerce in Basel right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I would not want to be the Mayor or President of the Chamber of Commerce in Basel right about now.
    Absolutely right: It is possible Art Basel will go the same way.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This is rather interesting, I go to the motor show at the Palexpo every March, Heathrow to Geneva is about an hour and 20 minutes and it's about a 10-minute walk to the Palexpo. Perhaps it won't be a £100 flight by this time next year but if it is it's a relatively cheap day out.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    This is rather interesting, I go to the motor show at the Palexpo every March, Heathrow to Geneva is about an hour and 20 minutes and it's about a 10-minute walk to the Palexpo. Perhaps it won't be a £100 flight by this time next year but if it is it's a relatively cheap day out.
    How much are the event tickets out of interest

It seems the C-19 Virus has given these companies the excuse to pull the plug on this outdated Concept that has been doing the rounds for many years..

At last a Rolex rumour that actually turns out to be true..

Master
    Good riddance, I was there in 2015 and was saying already what a complete sh*tshow it was. Not to mention the unabashed gouging by hotels and restaurants... Trade shows are a thing of the past anyway.

Apparently Baselworld were refusing to give refunds for this year's show. That seemed to have pushed Rolex and Patek over the edge. An organisation already under the microscope seen as greedy and totally incompetent. Good riddance.

The only downside - lots of smaller brands and independents relied on the show to get the reach to show their wares they normally wouldn't get. I hope they find a home.