timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had THE call

Hybrid View

Journeyman

Anyone had THE call

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had been offered any watches during the lockdown?

I’m assuming that AD must have had allocations from before the shutdown and commissions to earn.

Thanks

Not personally, but there has been a number of people on some of the Facebook pages getting the call. They have been having to pay anything from 50% to 100% and will collect the watches when AD’s reopen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
    Not personally, but there has been a number of people on some of the Facebook pages getting the call. They have been having to pay anything from 50% to 100% and will collect the watches when AD’s reopen.

How does that work, screams scam to me?
    We don’t know when or if shops are opening, how are these folk paying for watches to stay protected?
    CC would provide some but unsure about no delivery date tbc?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    We don’t know when or if shops are opening, how are these folk paying for watches to stay protected?
    Some mentioned payment by bank transfer, some say they paid by card. Apparently the card payments may have been processed by a third party if this is the case section 75 protection in the event of problems is not clear cut.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Exactly. If the jeweller goes bust you will find it significantly more difficult to get your money back out

Quote Originally Posted by LondonRolex19 View Post
    Hi all,

I’m assuming that AD must have had allocations from before the shutdown and commissions to earn.

Thanks

Argos Ormskirk have let me know that they will hold a new Timex for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Seriously?! Amazing how times have changed .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Seriously?! Amazing how times have changed .

Simon
    It's about building a relationship - when I go in for a hose or a set of batteries, I always make sure that they know I'm not a flipper or that stuff is not going straight on ebay.

It's about building a relationship - when I go in for a hose or a set of batteries, I always make sure that they know I'm not a flipper or that stuff is not going straight on ebay.
    Aye, but try getting on the list for a Pulsar Chrono. They’ll laugh in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Aye, but try getting on the list for a Pulsar Chrono. They’ll laugh in your face.
    You just have to spend some big money at the Elizabeth Duke counter. I am told that £20 will get you a large bag of glittery stuff; cubic zirconia. Enough to keep SWMBO in presents for the rest of her life.
    Last edited by Templogin; 13th April 2020 at 23:33. Reason: Added wit - hardly

How di you wangle that? You must have an insider!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I have just had a call of northern goldsmiths there is a sea-dweller with my name on it been on the list for 5 month with no previous history with them they have given me to Friday to give them a answer. They want 50% upfront and as soon as the store opens I pay the balance and pickup my watch Now I am confused about what to do in this bad times.just wondering what would you do. Newcastle U.K. :banghead:

Quote Originally Posted by Robr View Post
    I have just had a call of northern goldsmiths there is a sea-dweller with my name on it been on the list for 5 month with no previous history with them they have given me to Friday to give them a answer. They want 50% upfront and as soon as the store opens I pay the balance and pickup my watch Now I am confused about what to do in this bad times.just wondering what would you do. Newcastle U.K. :banghead:
    I would negotiate a discount or walk away. There'll be a ton on sale within a few weeks or months, and no buyers. When supply is high and demand is low, prices fall. The dealers and ADs know this. Don't get bounced into paying RRP.

I wonder if people will remember the way they were treated by AD's if and when the tables turn. Fun times

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I wonder if people will remember the way they were treated by AD's if and when the tables turn. Fun times

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    If Rolex consolidates it’s AD network to focus on Boutiques and Goldsmiths as I’ve heard suggested there may not be too much choice for the UK customer.

Despite what’s been suggested above, you’re not getting a discount. It’s just not going to happen.
    My advice is if it’s the piece you genuinely want and you can comfortably justify and afford it, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Despite what’s been suggested above, you’re not getting a discount. It’s just not going to happen.
    Why not? All consumer items, and especially discretionary purchases like a Rolex, are subject to the economic laws of supply and demand. Demand is about to fall off a cliff, supply is very high - these watches are not even remotely rare, there's thousands out there - so the price has to come down, otherwise they won't sell.

There are plenty of investment pieces sat in people’s safes. They won’t all weather the financial storm if they have a mortgage, PCP agreements, credit card debt etc. More will come onto the market. I feel especially sorry for those that just couldn’t deal with the wait for a Rolex and went to the grey dealers for a good shafting. Some of those will cave in and sell at a huge loss. Sad days for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Why not? All consumer items, and especially discretionary purchases like a Rolex, are subject to the economic laws of supply and demand. Demand is about to fall off a cliff, supply is very high - these watches are not even remotely rare, there's thousands out there - so the price has to come down, otherwise they won't sell.
    I do take your point, but your point relates more to over RRP grey market watches.

I still maintain that ADs won’t be discounting steel sports pieces at all. Best case, any period of oversupply will result in some pieces sat in safes and being sold as and when people ask for them. Windows won’t be full of hulks and GMTs like some people have predicted, and at RRP steel sports supply will remain tight.

All just my opinion and if I end up being wrong I’ll happily return to eat some humble pie.

Master
    I shall wait to see what the actual email says in it in regards to payment etc. My worry is that it is a scam, not whether WoS is going to going to file for bankruptcy soon.

Master
    WOS most recently filed accounts don’t make for comforting reading. The last ‘going concern’ statement expires in a couple of weeks.

I would suggest you were quite some way down the list and those above you are not takers in the present climate and pre-payment arrangements.

If you want to own the watch and it is a very nice piece, just remember you need to be in it for the long term, flipping to a grey if your mood or situation changes is not going to be a viable option for some time, if ever again.

Blog Entries
    If you want it. Pay in full (by CC or two) and ask them to post it to you - to your card address.

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you want it. Pay in full (by CC or two) and ask them to post it to you - to your card address.

Martyn.
    Rolex ADs in the UK won’t post Rolex watches. It’s against their agreement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Rolex ADs in the UK won’t post Rolex watches. It’s against their agreement.
    Really? Such arrogance!!! Well, it may shock Rolex AD’s to know that currently their customers don’t really give a single flying *uck about their precious ‘agreement’! I suggest in the current climate, Rolex AD’s (given their generally shabby past treatment of customers) will find their historical arrogance coming back to bite them royally and deservedly in the arse!

I had the call last week from WOS if i am interested in gmt master rootbeer .
    What they ask is to pay 50% deposit and 50% when you collect .100% upfront is for all steel watches .
    I declined politely as don’t know how long this lockdown will last and if WOS survives as bigger companies then WOS will have problems due to COVID19

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    I had the call last week from WOS if i am interested in gmt master rootbeer .
    What they ask is to pay 50% deposit and 50% when you collect .100% upfront is for all steel watches .
    I declined politely as don’t know how long this lockdown will last and if WOS survives as bigger companies then WOS will have problems due to COVID19
    You made the right call. Who knows what state WOS books will be in after COVID19.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmalone View Post
    You made the right call. Who knows what state WOS books will be in after COVID19.
    Superb first post

Christ, people must be so bored tonight.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=turbomolwi;5383437]I had the call last week from WOS if i am interested in gmt master rootbeer .
    I declined politely as don’t know how long this lockdown will last and if WOS survives as bigger companies then WOS will have problems due to COVID19[/Qi

i don't think it would last long.

Is it not debit card payment there looking for and not accepting credit cards?

Link what i got is creditcard payment .
    I think they accept both .

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    Is it not debit card payment there looking for and not accepting credit cards?

Master
    Got the call...Tesco now have toilet roll in stock...need it reading threads like this.

Master
    I’ve seen a few on FB groups as well where AD’s have called to say watches are in.

I’d imagine with everything shut down at the moment any 5711 or SS Daytona will be even harder to get going forward, the likes of steel Royal Oaks, Aquanaut’s, Pepsi, skydweller‘s and hulks still quite hard to get, but for just about everything else prices will drop going forward. Maybe not RRP but I think the days of buying X and knowing you can sell at a profit if need be will be soon gone. Might take some months to trickle through but I think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Got the call...Tesco now have toilet roll in stock...need it reading threads like this.
    Do they have bread flour?

Start washing for atleast 2 min instead of ordering toilet rolls

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got the call from Tescos I had gotten my click and collect a month out and needed to get there within the hour,I only just made it.

great service they brought the stuff over to me in a vacant part of the car park when they went I loaded,I was even nervous doing that.

I had a call about an hour ago offering me a BB58 which I had enquired about nearly a year ago. I explained to the sales lady I had owned and since sold one so not interested. She went on to ask if i was interested in Rolex as they had a Explorer available which according to her are extremely rare!

I politely declined the offer.

Craftsman

Laings

Quote Originally Posted by LondonRolex19 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Been telephoned a couple of times over the last couple of weeks by Laings, informing me of their Pre owned watch sale and that they had some Rolex professional models in the lineup. Overpriced dealer inventory and looking at the stock levels with the sale now finished, appears they sold Fk all of anything.

I got offered a Pepsi a couple of days before the lockdown.

Unfortunately I had to turn it down.
    I've got no idea how things are going to pan out when this is all over.
    So it didn't make sense to spend £7750 on a watch.

Master
    I asked my local Goldsmiths for a DSSD/EXP2 in January....last week I had a call offering me a DSSD.

Craftsman
    still waiting for the call on a sub no date, been about 18 months now which seems like a long time?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    still waiting for the call on a sub no date, been about 18 months now which seems like a long time?
    Now is a good time to follow up with your AD if you’re still in a position to buy. As others have mentioned, quite a few people in Facebook groups have been getting the call.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Been telephoned a couple of times over the last couple of weeks by Laings, informing me of their Pre owned watch sale and that they had some Rolex professional models in the lineup. Overpriced dealer inventory and looking at the stock levels with the sale now finished, appears they sold Fk all of anything.
    Same story always. Discounts virtually non existent on new stock, and second hand stock priced higher than Watchfinder

After tonight's news I'll be hanging onto my money. Wouldn't risk paying up front in the current situation IMO.

Master
    After tonight's news I'll be hanging onto my money. Wouldn't risk paying up front in the current situation IMO.
    What is tonight's news?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Do you have next weeks lottery numbers too?
    Yes but there a secret.

Recession saying the economy could shirk by upto 35%.

Master
    Do you have a link?

I have seen a predicted shrink of 12.8% this years from OBR. Followed then by 17.9% growth in 2021. Haven't seen the 35% number so keen to read up on it...I have not been on top of all the news today so could have missed that.

This is what sky news says which includes my figures above.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Do you have a link?

I have seen a predicted shrink of 12.8% this years from OBR. Followed then by 17.9% growth in 2021. Haven't seen the 35% number so keen to read up on it...I have not been on top of all the news today so could have missed that.

This is what sky news says which includes my figures above.

Just looked at this graph. Pretty shocking; negative growth was double that under the Spanish flu, compared to negative growth of 1944 during the Second World War.

Craftsman

Bounce

The reports have also gone on to say that economy’s Worldwide will see a bounce back when the pandemic crisis is under control but from a 35% drop that would not be hard.

Consumer confidence has taken a hard punch and with nearly 2million Uk mortgages holders asking for a payment holiday never mind the numbers asking for credit card payment delays and the furloughed employees wondering if their job will still be there when this is over, then the UK alone is looking at a slow climb back to pre Covid levels, if that level ever returns!

The implications for the watch market, whether New or Secondary is solely dependent upon consumer confidence, the willingness and ability to spend.
    Last edited by Flasher; 14th April 2020 at 21:15.