closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had THE call

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonRolex19 View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had been offered any watches during the lockdown?

I’m assuming that AD must have had allocations from before the shutdown and commissions to earn.

Thanks
    Got a call for a ceramic white dial daytona today.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Hope you said yes

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Congratulations!!! very lucky!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Hope you said yes
    Nah told them Ill think about it LOL

Master
    I'm still waiting for my call (well, calls). Meanwhile:

Bought 18th June, listed on eBay 18th June.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264768257270

Does somewhat boil my yellow liquid as I’m after a watch to keep and wear.

Master
    it is fair to say that several of those who have recently acquired a Rolex have attempted to off load at making a profit. I assume with more being added, it should suppress the price of the grey market a little.

I wonder how many will actually be sold on eBay

Master

Anyone had THE call

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'm still waiting for my call (well, calls). Meanwhile:

Bought 18th June, listed on eBay 18th June.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264768257270
    Strong money for a sub. Wonder if the dealer will be giving them a call.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 19th June 2020 at 10:57.

Master
    As far as I can see, Rolex are putting a lot of product into the stores, probably rather more than usual. If there’s a big recession on the way, then getting the watches onto the market now makes good sense. Especially as, in insecure times, serious brands like Rolex reassure customers.
    I’m off to collect one today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Strong money for a sub. Wonder if the dealer will be giving then a call.
    Or £9k for a 6 month old 114060:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193525731145

You could get a SS Daytona for that 18 months ago (and walk past any number of £5.5k 114060s in AD windows).

Master

Anyone had THE call

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As far as I can see, Rolex are putting a lot of product into the stores, probably rather more than usual. If there’s a big recession on the way, then getting the watches onto the market now makes good sense. Especially as, in insecure times, serious brands like Rolex reassure customers.
    I’m off to collect one today.
    So you think they hold stock back and manage releases or dispatch when produced ?

I’m curious on the production and operations of the sales rather than another Rolex conspiracy thread.

With all the currency movements and the price of gold change it will make for an interesting few months.

I just got THE call

From my wife. Apparently my coffee and stroopwafels are ready.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    So you think they hold stock back and manage releases or dispatch when produced ?

I’m curious on the production and operations of the sales rather than another Rolex conspiracy thread.

With all the currency movements and the price of gold change it will make for an interesting few months.
    Where’s the conspiracy? All businesses have to manage their stock, and that will often include fluctuations in supply. After more than two months with the ADs shut down, a burst of activity is surely to be expected. Rolex want to sell, the stores need to sell . Last time I bought a gold Rolex it took four months, which was pretty standard. This time, five weeks.....

Journeyman
    Or £9k for a 6 month old 114060:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193525731145

You could get a SS Daytona for that 18 months ago (and walk past any number of £5.5k 114060s in AD windows).
    Love that in one pic the person is wearing wooly gloves and not the ones watch shops use. Gave me a chuckle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Love that in one pic the person is wearing wooly gloves and not the ones watch shops use. Gave me a chuckle
    Makes them look like a burglar which ain’t far from the truth!!!

Journeyman
    Makes them look like a burglar which ain’t far from the truth!!!
    lol!!! its true

Apprentice
    Update to my earlier posts, the Air-King that became an Explorer then became a Sub date. Very off and uncomfortable seeing people advertise the same thing on eBay at £10250 that just cost me £7150. Shame they aren't all going to those of us who'll wear them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
    Update to my earlier posts, the Air-King that became an Explorer then became a Sub date. Very off and uncomfortable seeing people advertise the same thing on eBay at £10250 that just cost me £7150. Shame they aren't all going to those of us who'll wear them.
    Agree. I'm sure someone will give them a profit but I think £10,250 is very optimistic. Your experience points to possibly some softening in the market and I think the economy will absolutely tank when the Government (taxpayer's) money dries up later this year. Not absolutely sure which models will retain their guaranteed grey market premium if things do turn messy. (Also depends on the work economy too, of course, but that's going to b suffering to a greater or lesser extent.)

Apprentice
    Agree. I'm sure someone will give them a profit but I think £10,250 is very optimistic. Your experience points to possibly some softening in the market and I think the economy will absolutely tank when the Government (taxpayer's) money dries up later this year. Not absolutely sure which models will retain their guaranteed grey market premium if things do turn messy. (Also depends on the work economy too, of course, but that's going to b suffering to a greater or lesser extent.)
    Yes I think that's totally correct. Without wealthy tourists, business visitors to supply and with less certainly for flippers, there seems to be actual supply for people who just want a watch from their AD. In terms of economic impacts, whilst I doubt a large percentage who have been furloughed were Rolex buyers, many people at every pay grade and dividend level will find it hard to spend on luxury goods at this precise moment, so I don't think the situation changing as free money dries up will likely impact demand too much. Although if this supply flattens demand later in the year and without tourists coming back, it could be tough for ADs. Also will be interesting to see if lack of production so far this year helps any oversupply in the coming months. In terms of the grey market, I don't many on here will be sad to see prices soften.

Master
    As well selling now I suppose because there will be no premiums on them by Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Where’s the conspiracy? All businesses have to manage their stock, and that will often include fluctuations in supply. After more than two months with the ADs shut down, a burst of activity is surely to be expected. Rolex want to sell, the stores need to sell . Last time I bought a gold Rolex it took four months, which was pretty standard. This time, five weeks.....

Rolex aren’t a business...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Rolex aren’t a business...
    Are they a “not for profit” business?

Are they a “not for profit” business?
    They're a business but owned by a charity.

Paid for mine April.
    Still no call. Ridiculous.
    What a sh*t industry it’s become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have you chased them to see what’s going on?

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Paid for mine April.
    Still no call. Ridiculous.
    What a sh*t industry it’s become.

Anyone had THE call

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Have you chased them to see what’s going on?
    Yes.
    Spoke to the manager.
    Sounded shocked first then came up with some story about how they still haven’t phoned people for week 3 and 4 appointments and it’s in order of when the watch was paid for.
    I was one of the earlier customers so that story doesn’t stack up to be honest and if it was true the initial shock and awe doesn’t fit in.

Master
    Sounds very poor service indeed. I wonder if you asked for your money back whether the watch would mysteriously become available?

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Yes.
    Spoke to the manager.
    Sounded shocked first then came up with some story about how they still haven’t phoned people for week 3 and 4 appointments and it’s in order of when the watch was paid for.
    I was one of the earlier customers so that story doesn’t stack up to be honest and if it was true the initial shock and awe doesn’t fit in.

Master
    You have been very patient! I would have gone down there and told them to go to the back and get it out of the safe!

Note, I paid for mine in the third week of April from memory and collected this week.

Had a phone call late yesterday and collect tomorrow.

Update: Collected and now on my wrist.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 21st June 2020 at 17:12.

Master
    I had email confirmation from WoS that they have registered my interest for a 126660, which I thought had been done a month ago. Turns out the sales person I was talking to during lockdown was on furlough (his card had a mobile number so I was able to talk to him & he said he'd get the process going) & he still is so it wasn't done .
    Anyway, it's done now & they say I will definitely get one - how old do you reckon I'll be when I get it? How many 2 tone DJs will I have to wait for them to sell before I can get the piece that I want?
    I reckon this could be a long game & patience is not the chief of my virtues. The thing is that there are just enough of those "I registered on Monday & had a Sub the following week" stories going around to keep the hope alive...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I had email confirmation from WoS that they have registered my interest for a 126660, which I thought had been done a month ago. Turns out the sales person I was talking to during lockdown was on furlough (his card had a mobile number so I was able to talk to him & he said he'd get the process going) & he still is so it wasn't done .
    Anyway, it's done now & they say I will definitely get one - how old do you reckon I'll be when I get it? How many 2 tone DJs will I have to wait for them to sell before I can get the piece that I want?
    I reckon this could be a long game & patience is not the chief of my virtues. The thing is that there are just enough of those "I registered on Monday & had a Sub the following week" stories going around to keep the hope alive...
    Out of interest, how did you manage to register your interest in the first place? Did you already have a relationship?

I dropped some emails to some ADs during lockdown and they all sent me the same template email saying I'd have to come into the shop when they reopen and they could talk me through the other models Rolex sell. One or two said their lists were closed.

That's very annoying but at least you're registered now and it's official. You're in the queue and it's moving. I'm sure the McDonald's drive through queues at the moment are comparatively worse

KP just got a white dial Daytona as his 4th purchase (albeit after three years) and only one of those wasn't a stainless steels professional piece. That would have been unheard of previously and is the unobtainable or unobtainables.

Master
    My guess is that the best chance to get what you want is now passing. During lockdown, jewellers had obvious cash-flow problems. So guys who offered to pay up front became very tempting. Money in the bank for the store. So such customers were favoured. In the end, it’s always about the money. That’s the only reason to be in business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Out of interest, how did you manage to register your interest in the first place? Did you already have a relationship?

I dropped some emails to some ADs during lockdown and they all sent me the same template email saying I'd have to come into the shop when they reopen and they could talk me through the other models Rolex sell. One or two said their lists were closed.
    Yes, I had a relationship, I bought a rhodium DJ41 from that store in May last year. When I first enquired about the 126660 that was within 12 months so it helped. Additionally one of the senior sales team used to work at Mappin and Webb near my work & I used to go in there every so often - he recognised me when I was in the WoS store & we chatted for a while. He's highly regarded there, that might be helpful too.
    I never thought it'd be so difficult to spend money!

Master
    How much do you suppose they paid the person that bought this from the AD to "have" to list at this price?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Sub...e/153979878540

Craftsman
    Yes, I had a relationship, I bought a rhodium DJ41 from that store in May last year. When I first enquired about the 126660 that was within 12 months so it helped. Additionally one of the senior sales team used to work at Mappin and Webb near my work & I used to go in there every so often - he recognised me when I was in the WoS store & we chatted for a while. He's highly regarded there, that might be helpful too.
    I never thought it'd be so difficult to spend money!
    Ah that makes sense. If I had to guess, I would imagine that the personal relationship would have made more of the difference than the DJ but I have neither of those things!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Ah that makes sense. If I had to guess, I would imagine that the personal relationship would have made more of the difference than the DJ but I have neither of those things!
    It was pure luck really. He was the first guy I talked to when I was seeking advice, looking for my first serious watch. I didn't see him for a while and assumed he'd retired, imagine my surprise to see him in WoS! It was a classic double take moment for both of us!

Master
    I wouldn't expect a very long wait for a 126660, it is a very chunky piece and less popular than say a 126600 or 116610. IMHO anyway.
    Good luck, hope to see your wrist shots very soon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I wouldn't expect a very long wait for a 126660, it is a very chunky piece and less popular than say a 126600 or 116610. IMHO anyway.

I'm hoping that it's maybe less sought after than the usual suspects & that may reduce the wait, but how often does the store get a piece like that? I don't know where I am on the pecking order, I know there were 2 pieces that were paid for & awaiting collection, so hopefully it won't be too long.
    As soon as I get the call & collect it I'll get pictures up.

Master
    I'm hoping that it's maybe less sought after than the usual suspects & that may reduce the wait, but how often does the store get a piece like that? I don't know where I am on the pecking order, I know there were 2 pieces that were paid for & awaiting collection, so hopefully it won't be too long.
    As soon as I get the call & collect it I'll get pictures up.
    The 116660 (which I love) was, and maybe still is, about the last professional model that didn't appear to trade at a premium to list. Hope you source a 126660 soon and that you enjoy wearing it.

Master
    The 116660 (which I love) was, and maybe still is, about the last professional model that didn't appear to trade at a premium to list. Hope you source a 126660 soon and that you enjoy wearing it.
    I'll definitely enjoy wearing it, I chose it because it's unique among Rolex divers and I like the styling - it's a bit out there but I think we'll suit each other.

Master
    Picked a watch up yesterday and got a letter from WoS thanking me for my custom and a goody bag containing of all things a 100ml bottle of Rolex eau de parfum!

Warranty card was given to me straight away to name and date. Most stickers removed whilst I waited which I have no issue with and it was suggested that I wear the watch out of the shop rather than putting it in the box which I always tend to do anyway.

Overall a very pleasant experience indeed and I put my name down (again) for a GMT as they actually asked what model I wanted next.

totally agree with the 126660 they all must have one in a safe

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Picked a watch up yesterday and got a letter from WoS thanking me for my custom and a goody bag containing of all things a 100ml bottle of Rolex eau de parfum!

Warranty card was given to me straight away to name and date. Most stickers removed whilst I waited which I have no issue with and it was suggested that I wear the watch out of the shop rather than putting it in the box which I always tend to do anyway.

Overall a very pleasant experience indeed and I put my name down (again) for a GMT as they actually asked what model I wanted next.
    Similar experience for me on Sunday although no stickers were removed. I was obviously given the warranty card along with bottle of Rolex perfume for the wife as she was with me .

Does a woman get a bottle of after shave?

Master
    I wouldn't expect a very long wait for a 126660,
    There's one on Gumtree with a guarantee card dated 22nd - two days ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    a 100ml bottle of Rolex eau de parfum!

That explains the one I saw listed on eBay! Seriously!

Master
    That explains the one I saw listed on eBay! Seriously!
    Just to be clear, not mine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    totally agree with the 126660 they all must have one in a safe

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    The store had a black dial 126660 in the window on Monday apparently. Thing is, I'm after a James Cameron which might delay things...

Master
    I was asked to choose one from: umbrella, card holder, key ring and perfume. I opted for perfume as none of the other items would have seen any use.