closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had THE call

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Oops, missed that bit ... SS Pepsi ... which makes me think times must be tough if they’ve reached that far down “the list” to offer me that model.
    Ohh lovely. I think you may be right... But what the hell, its a great watch

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Oops, missed that bit ... SS Pepsi ... which makes me think times must be tough if they’ve reached that far down “the list” to offer me that model.
    so you been on the list 2 years and having buying history with them ?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Well done,FK77.
    A systematic, reasoned approach.
    Something to look forward to when things return towards normalcy.

Blog Entries
    Now I’m not going to pretend that I am completely at peace with making an expensive (to me) purchase at a time like this, which is why I am using my 5 day thinking period. However, given that I have waited 2 years and not planning to flip at least in the short term (if at all), I am more inclined towards pulling the trigger than not.
    This is very useful, but what's still not being addressed is the 5 day cooling period. How can the retailer manage this adequately? For example if the list is 100 names and each person gets 5 days to mill over the decision to purchase how do they even get through the inventory, or is this why we are still seeing calls being received from AD's with unicorn pieces that they clearly had in stock a month and more ago? I'm still dubious on this poibt, whether like airlines were doing seats are being double booked, but then we may only find out once normality returns, if that ever does.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 23rd April 2020 at 10:13.

Apprentice
    Back on topic, I also had “the call” a couple of days ago. To help allay some of the scam concerns (nothing wrong with being cautious, especially these days), here’s what I know:

- The call I received was from the GM of the branch where I registered my interest. I met that person few weeks before lockdown, who is well aware of my purchase history & interest in watches.

- Although the call was from a different mobile number to the one on the business card I hold, a subsequent email was in reply to one of my past emails to their work email address (same as the one on business card).

- The email with payment link came directly from the central/head office. That email address is also legitimate.

- The payment link is secure and doesn’t look dodgy at all. It has all the correct info and logos.

- The payment is considered a “deposit” to guarantee/secure the watch and can be refunded at any time if I change my mind.

- I was assured that once I pay, a physical watch will be allocated to me and it’s mine to collect when the store re-opens. No doubts about further waiting for the watch or chances of it going to someone else. This confirms to me that the watch is already in their possession (either at branch or at some central location).

- I was told because I am choosing to pay by credit card, the purchase will be covered by Section 75 if they went under.

- I called my credit card company, asked them the same question and got the same reply. Regardless of value of purchase and duration of wait.

- They do not have access to the showrooms/storage so can’t send me a picture of the actual watch or serial number. It isn’t their policy to send picture of warranty card (even if they had access) as it won’t be filled until I collect. It is quite possible they already had it before lockdown and have only offered to me now after others have refused. Although I was told mine was the first name that came to their mind once they found an available allocation, I am neither naive nor easily flattered.

- Apparently they aren’t allowed to send watches by post/courier as Rolex require them to fill out and activate warranty in the customer’s presence.

Now I’m not going to pretend that I am completely at peace with making an expensive (to me) purchase at a time like this, which is why I am using my 5 day thinking period. However, given that I have waited 2 years and not planning to flip at least in the short term (if at all), I am more inclined towards pulling the trigger than not.

Exactly the same experience for me and I've subsequently spoken to another senior person within WOS who also confirmed the above in writing.

It's not ideal but then doing business in this climate is unconventional across the board.

At the end of the day, you pay your money, you make your choice. Appreciate there's a lot of people dismissing it on here but i'm going to enjoy the thought of picking up my SS Sub Date at the end of this.

I wasn't on 'the list' for 2 years and haven't bought a watch in M&W in the last 10 years....i have however popped into the shop however the last 6 months and looked around and chatted to the manager about all things watches.

Master
    Tudor are also refusing to have their products be posted out to customers. however, I spoke to a branch manager today who said that one worker goes in weekly to post out various other brands and that if i wanted to collect the watch i bought i could do so. I did say that i would hold off for the time being as the shop is around 40 miles away and i didn't want to try to explain to the police if they pulled me over that i was collecting a watch!

Master
    Just an update on this. I emailed chronext to see how much they would pay for a no date sub and they said £6900. I guess that figure might change between now and when you can get the Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Just an update on this. I emailed chronext to see how much they would pay for a no date sub and they said £6900. I guess that figure might change between now and when you can get the Rolex

is that brand new unworn?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    so you been on the list 2 years and having buying history with them ?
    Yes, I went on the list / registered my interest or whatever, on the day it was revealed. To be fair, my buying history with WoS group is not something to get excited about in terms of total spend. It started less than 3 years ago and I’ve only bought from them what I really wanted - nothing as a “sweetener”. My history does however include returning or declining some watches that were trading at a premium when they were offered to me. I have also had lengthy discussions about watches with some genuinely interested staff there. Over time they have seen a variety of stuff on my wrist including ‘hot’ models (bought from them or elsewhere), some interesting and uncommon watches and also some really cheap ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    This is very useful, but what's still not being addressed is the 5 day cooling period. How can the retailer manage this adequately? For example if the list is 100 names and each person gets 5 days to mill over the decision to purchase how do they even get through the inventory, or is this why we are still seeing calls being received from AD's with unicorn pieces that they clearly had in stock a month and more ago? I'm still dubious on this poibt, whether like airlines were doing seats are being double booked, but then we may only find out once normality returns, if that ever does.
    I don’t have a definitive answer to that. I just think the watch that has been offered to me does exist and is in their possession, based on what I have been told. Could be wrong. What I do know is that I was only sent the payment link after I confirmed by email that I was interested. I guess many people would refuse when contacted, allowing them to immediately move on to the next customer as the 5 day mulling over period only applies when you receive the link.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    is that brand new unworn?

Yes brand new

Not bad. Does that need to be in person or will they collect it via UPS etc?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not bad. Does that need to be in person or will they collect it via UPS etc?
    I've used them once and they normally collected via fedex and the watch went to germany for appraisal. FWIW it also took me over 28 days from them receiving watch to me receiving payment. This was July last year.

For me that’s a great offer as there has been several for sale on various forums at and around £7200 for new unworn No Dates in recent weeks from private sellers with them being snapped up very quickly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    they can collect from you. it is super quick delivery to their office in Germany. the three watches i sold to them got there in less than a day. payment as per a previous post does take longer, often around 2 weeks

Master
    So are we back to being like one of these grubby Facebook groups where it’s how much you can sell it at?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    So are we back to being like one of these grubby Facebook groups where it’s how much you can sell it at?

Thanks for your message Hood. that was not my intention, I was just intrigued to see how the market was holding up. If I decided to get the non date submariner, I would have most likely kept it, but I decided that it might be difficult to sell some of my watches to make way for it financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    From the other side, I've been phoning around to get on the list for a BB58. Have mostly been told to go away until i've spent more money with a couple of notable exceptions.
    Seriously, for a Tudor? I thought they were all fairly available. I’m sure you’ll be able to get one as soon as the lock down ends.

Master
    I have seen various 58s in shop windows. mostly with a leather or nato though. Only once with the SS

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Seriously, for a Tudor? I thought they were all fairly available. I’m sure you’ll be able to get one as soon as the lock down ends.
    They are and always have been available on bracelet, nato or leather.

Apprentice
    Anyone got a call for a SS Daytona?

Quote Originally Posted by Ped22 View Post

I got the call but it was just some dude laughing down the phone...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master

Yes...several...I turned it down obviously!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Yes...several...I turned it down obviously!
    Haha it was a serious question... because I genuinely did!

Anyone had THE call

Had the call on an SD43.

Torn as to what I should do!

Stick it on a 0% credit card and take it or walk away?

Haha it was a serious question... because I genuinely did!
    I mentioned if there's a white dial Daytona going I'd have it when confirming my order for the SD43 but it was understandably ignored ha.

You must have a good history to get the call for a Daytona, even during this.

Swiss watch exports to the UK were down by over one third in March as wholesalers and retailers braced for the approaching Coronarus pandemic sweeping across the world. The official lock down instruction was issued on March 23, but by then China had been grappling with the outbreak for two months and it was already spiking in Italy and other parts of Europe. Year-on-year monthly growth rates had already been in negative territory since November 2019, but analysts explained that was due to the unprecedented bull run the UK has enjoyed since 2016 coming to an end, and was not seen as a sign of weakening demand.

https://www.watchpro.com/swiss-watch...uk-drop-by-34/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Had the call on an SD43.

Probably a bit early to say where grey market prices are heading so I think it's a question of whether you are happy to keep the watch at RRP. Even a month ago, that would have been a no brainer but now ....

Had the call on an SD43.

If it's for you to wear, enjoy and keep it's a no brainier at list price, if you intend to flip straight away maybe not so attractive in the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Do you have next weeks lottery numbers too?
    Yes but there a secret.

Master
    The 43mm sea dwellers were not going much over list price when I was looking. I could have got one for £9.5k but chose to buy several instead. I feel that the rrp on them was quite high and had the potential to fall. But clearly if it is a forever watch it doesn’t matter

The 43mm sea dwellers were not going much over list price when I was looking. I could have got one for £9.5k but chose to buy several instead. I feel that the rrp on them was quite high and had the potential to fall. But clearly if it is a forever watch it doesn't matter
    Don't disagree with you at all. Current RRP feels toppy but that's probably been true for decades now.

Master
    Agree with WR.

It’s a great watch and I think it wears really well. Doesn’t feel or look too big: If you like it and it’s to wear and enjoy then, if you can afford it, go for it.

I think the days of buying to wear and enjoy as prime motive are slowly returning. I think that sadly in the last 3 years the sell in value became the prime motive for some, which changed the watch world, not for the good. Not blaming anyone m, but you read some watch or FB groups and ‘whats it worth’ seems to be the majority of the posts.

Had the call on an SD43.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If it's for you to wear, enjoy and keep it's a no brainier at list price, if you intend to flip straight away maybe not so attractive in the current situation.

Master
    Don't disagree with you at all. Current RRP feels toppy but that's probably been true for decades now.

Paid list (£6,900) for a SdC4000 in 2014 and £2,270 (I think) for a 16600 in 2001. Those didn't seem too grievous at the time. £9.300 for a 126600 looks like a big increase compared to UK RPI/CPI inflation but, as someone pointed out, it's the Swiss Franc exchange rate that's the key factor.
    Last edited by David_D; 24th April 2020 at 16:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Paid list (£6,900) for a SdC4000 in 2014 and £2,270 (I think) for a 16600 in 2001. Those didn't seem too grievous at the time. £9.300 for a 126600 looks like a big increase compared to UK RPI/CPI inflation but, as someone pointed out, it's the Swiss Franc exchange rate that's the key factor.
    I paid list (£15210) for my 5146J in April 2006. Today’s list is £31690 - still I’d never sell it so cost is irrelevant.

Master

Anyone had THE call

That’s the good thing now with the SD43 and even the deepsea JC
    They will go to people who actually want to wear those watches .
    Personally I’d be negotiating hard with Ditchvisitor on the SDc on SC

Personally I'd be negotiating hard with Ditchvisitor on the SDc on SC
    I tried him on a trade with cash his way for my Sub ND but no luck. Still trying to figure out a way to get it.

Someone on one of those grubby Facebook groups claims to have a brand new root beer bated today. It sure how they’ve got hold of that.

Master

Anyone had THE call

I tried him on a trade with cash his way for my Sub ND but no luck. Still trying to figure out a way to get it.
    Funny I like both
    You will find SDc small though Wileey
    It wears smaller than the Ceramic Sub
    Fine for me but you have bigger wrists and think you might be right on SD43 being the sweet spot size wise for you.
    What is rrp on a Sub these days?
    Last edited by Hood; 24th April 2020 at 21:09.

Master
    The 43mm sea dwellers were not going much over list price when I was looking. I could have got one for £9.5k but chose to buy several instead. I feel that the rrp on them was quite high and had the potential to fall. But clearly if it is a forever watch it doesn’t matter

Got mine for RRP last year and didn't like it and sold it on and it is now stuck with a dealer who offered me too much.(Makes a change for them to come unstuck with a deal)

If you want the watch buy it but i think IMHO these will be around the 8.5 mark in a few months.

Funny I like both
    You will find SDc small though Wileey
    It wears smaller than the Ceramic Sub
    Fine for me but you have bigger wrists and think you might be right on SD43 being the sweet spot size wise for you.
    What is rrp on a Sub these days?
    I don't find the Sub ND too small, but I do think it wears a bit flat across the wrist. I've tried it a few times in WF but hard to get a good idea with the harsh lighting. I'll see how long the SD43 takes.

Sub is £6,300 these days and the SD34 is £9,300.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Someone on one of those grubby Facebook groups claims to have a brand new root beer bated today. It sure how they’ve got hold of that.
    There was a late March UK supplied SD43 on eBay yesterday but it disappeared. Can’t remember if it was BIN or starting price but north of £10,500.

Anyone had THE call

Anyone getting the call and being asked for full payment upfront for high value pieces which have serial numbers just follow simple rules..
    As in normal times your Receipt will have the model number and serial number of your watch on the receipt if these watches exist this should be the minimum requirement..
    If your dealer refuses then they are selling you a promise on what stock they Hope to receive sometime in the future..
    You don’t need a picture of the watch or warranty card you just need the serial number which if these watches actually exist will be registered on the company’s systems the moment they arrive in the country..
    No AD has a clue what stock is arriving and these public listed companies are just trying to keep their figures maintained so they do not have to issue a profits warning which they are obliged to do by regulation which will in turn affect their share price...
    Don’t believe that they are being held at distribution centres and they can’t access the watches it’s BS..

Journeyman
    Anyone who can get a SD43 should snap it up. It’s a stunning watch but needs a large wrist (7.5 here).

I picked mine up early £8s tax free in the airport in February. It’s been on my wrist none stop stunning piece I love it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Anyone getting the call and being asked for full payment upfront for high value pieces which have serial numbers just follow simple rules..
    As in normal times your Receipt will have the model number and serial number of your watch on the receipt if these watches exist this should be the minimum requirement..
    If your dealer refuses then they are selling you a promise on what stock they Hope to receive sometime in the future..
    You don’t need a picture of the watch or warranty card you just need the serial number which if these watches actually exist will be registered on the company’s systems the moment they arrive in the country..
    No AD has a clue what stock is arriving and these public listed companies are just trying to keep their figures maintained so they do not have to issue a profits warning which they are obliged to do by regulation which will in turn affect their share price...
    Don’t believe that they are being held at distribution centres and they can’t access the watches it’s BS..

Get your general view...but I can believe a group like WoS could have many items of stock which they are unable to logistically get out to closed stores. They also say unable to post direct to consumer due to rolex agreement. I can see that being true. Any online ADs you know of that have been selling direct online new rolex pieces?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Anyone had THE call

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Get your general view...but I can believe a group like WoS could have many items of stock which they are unable to logistically get out to closed stores. They also say unable to post direct to consumer due to rolex agreement. I can see that being true. Any online ADs you know of that have been selling direct online new rolex pieces?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    That was my point if these items exist they will have been logged on the companies systems when they arrive in the country with serial numbers it’s just basic stock control..
    As for Rolex ADs sending out watches this in my experience of wearing the brand for 35+ years has never happened.. most Rolex ADs have an online presence but authorised ADs sales must be completed in store..
    Unauthorised dealers/Greys have their own terms and conditions for delivery and collection..
    My personal feelings on WOS are I wouldn’t trust any company who have allegedly manipulated the market they way they have in recent years.. my earlier comments on this thread explain why..

Last edited by SteveM112; 25th April 2020 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I guess you're right. It is for me and I will be keeping it for a long time so it doesn't matter. The last one I bought was in 2009 and was around £3000 from memory!

That’s the good thing now with the SD43 and even the deepsea JC
    They will go to people who actually want to wear those watches .
    Personally I’d be negotiating hard with Ditchvisitor on the SDc on SC

What makes you prefer that one? Personally I like the red writing on the 50th Anniversary one and think new makes sense at RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Anyone who can get a SD43 should snap it up. It’s a stunning watch but needs a large wrist (7.5 here).

I picked mine up early £8s tax free in the airport in February. It’s been on my wrist none stop stunning piece I love it.
    Thats a great deal! Where did you snap it up? Is it much bigger than the previous SD? The last one was 40mm but I guess it isn't as ridiculous as the DeepSea.

Master
    What makes you prefer that one? Personally I like the red writing on the 50th Anniversary one and think new makes sense at RRP.
    The SDc was the last version “true” to the original - obviously the lack of cyclops but in terms of dimensions and proportions.

Is it much bigger than the previous SD? The last one was 40mm but I guess it isn't as ridiculous as the DeepSea.
    Short answer - yes! The SD43 is strangely wide and flat - if that makes sense. I’m sure it’s best on a big wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    That was my point if these items exist they will have been logged on the companies systems when they arrive in the country with serial numbers it’s just basic stock control..
    As for Rolex ADs sending out watches this in my experience of wearing the brand for 35+ years has never happened.. most Rolex ADs have an online presence but authorised ADs sales must be completed in store..
    Unauthorised dealers/Greys have their own terms and conditions for delivery and collection..
    My personal feelings on WOS are I wouldn’t trust any company who have allegedly manipulated the market they way they have in recent years.. my earlier comments on this thread explain why..
    I have been explicitly told, in writing, that they have the watch at the head office. It can’t be sent to a closed store as no one is there to receive it. The reason why they can’t post/courier directly to customer has been covered in this thread multiple times and there appears to be a general consensus on that. I have been assured several times that I will be able to collect it as soon as the store re-opens, no wait/delay after that.

They say they aren’t able to give me the serial number because the payment is a deposit and fully refundable at any time. Although the watch is allocated to me, it isn’t my property until the warranty paperwork is completed in store in my presence.

Of course they could be lying to me and stupid enough to put it all in emails. No one but WoS knows for sure. Least anyone who isn’t even part of these conversations.

100% seems like a very big deposit!

I have been explicitly told, in writing, that they have the watch at the head office. It can’t be sent to a closed store as no one is there to receive it. The reason why they can’t post/courier directly to customer has been covered in this thread multiple times and there appears to be a general consensus on that. I have been assured several times that I will be able to collect it as soon as the store re-opens, no wait/delay after that.

They say they aren’t able to give me the serial number because the payment is a deposit and fully refundable at any time. Although the watch is allocated to me, it isn’t my property until the warranty paperwork is completed in store in my presence.

Of course they could be lying to me and stupid enough to put it all in emails. No one but WoS knows for sure. Least anyone who isn’t even part of these conversations.
    Paying for a watch in full is not a deposit the clue is in the title it’s full payment.. surely any company dealing in high value items would have full access to their own inventory with corresponding serial numbers from any branch in the world. how else would they check if any items are currently in stock.. we have moved on from asking Bert in the warehouse if an item is on the shelf..having some sharp suit telling me what I want to hear at the end of a phone is a promise..
    But people have got to do what they feel is right and I hope you get the watch you want without any problem...