closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning the guitar

Learning the guitar

I bought an electric guitar 6mths ago with a view to learning but never did!! Now I have a bit more time, does anyone have any hints and tips of the best way to start. I’m starting from a position of no music knowledge at all. I know I’m never going to be like Mark Knopfler but considering every song, I’m told, is made with 4 chords, I’d like to be able to play something!!

Thanks in advance

Pete

Master
    Not every song is made with four chords, though some are made with three, or even two. And I'd say that a basic chord book is a good place to start. There's never been a better time to learn guitar, you can find everything you need to get started on the World Wide Web, I'm sure. Start off by learning a few simple chords - C, A minor, G, D, E. Feel free to ask questions. You can find good tuner apps for mobile phones if you don't have one.

It takes a long time, so don't get disheartened. Keep at it.

What sort of guitar have you got?

Learning the guitar

Sorry double post

I bought this from a friend along with iRig which I can link to my iPad.

I’ve printed out a chord sheet, but struggling to move from chord to chord.

I need to probably realise that it will take time and practice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    I bought an electric guitar 6mths ago with a view to learning but never did!! Now I have a bit more time, does anyone have any hints and tips of the best way to start. I’m starting from a position of no music knowledge at all. I know I’m never going to be like Mark Knopfler but considering every song, I’m told, is made with 4 chords, I’d like to be able to play something!!

Thanks in advance

Pete
    Hi Pete, to follow on from the sage advice of monogroover and badger1, here are some simple chord diagrams, and a picture of a guitar and you can see how the chord diagrams translate to the strings on the guitar, absolutely musical knowledge required for this stage, and its surprising how far you can go with it. Also virtually countless free tuition videos on YouTube and the like.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Very nice Pete, I think that's a Squier Affinity. Solid choice. Budget guitars these days are reliable, stay in tune, sound good and play nicely. My own first electric cost a fair bit more in real terms and was pretty horrible in every respect.

You'll probably find F the hardest of those chords initially.

When you come to start picking out single note lines, don't forget about your little finger - it's very useful but easy for a learner to overlook.

Craftsman
    There are a lot of resources on line, some better than others.

Consistently one of the best and most respected is Justin Sandercoe https://www.justinguitar.com/ He has online courses which will take you all the way from beginner to advanced and has a huge library of songs to learn for all levels.

Master
    Thank you for that link, had not come across him yet.

I’ve ordered a guitar to learn to play, haven’t touched one in 25 years or so. Will be starting from the very beginning & those lessons will be invaluable to me.

Journeyman
    Justin is great, as are Marty Music and Andy Guitar.

Master
    Was in the same position a few years back - wanted to learn, had no musical knowledge whatsoever.

Justin’s lessons as linked to already are very useful indeed and a very good place to start. In fact a friend of mine is learning purely via his site.

Obviously not feasible right now, but I found a physical lesson with a teacher to be very useful as they can watch what you are doing, correct it etc. As well as maybe explain things that you struggle with.

All I would say, stick with it as it definitely gets easier - to do the basics anyway - and there is always more to learn.

Also, see how you get on with the irig - maybe consider a small amp when things open up again. I found it easier to use an amp than an irig but you may get on ok with it.

Couple of apps worth considering;
    Ultimate Guitar - chords for loads of songs, sometimes with the strumming patterns; plus you can choose the simplify option and it converts the chords to something easier.
    Fender Tune - yes it has a tuner, but it also has all the chord shapes, in different positions and all the scales.

Good luck - it’s tough but first but stick with it.

I would love to learn too, just to play some classic riffs would be the goal, I’m a classic got all the gear but no idea! I have a Jackson Dinky and a nice surf green Japanese Squire Stratocaster with a Roland 30X cube amp so it needs to be played, I’ll check out some of the links and hopefully get playing soon..

Craftsman
    Have a look at:

https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/online-...ectric-starter

A lot of it is free.

Cheers all for your input and links. A lot to look at and check out.

I think I’ll stick with the iRig and headphones for the sanity of my family!!! May upgrade to an amp if it all works out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would love to learn too, just to play some classic riffs would be the goal, I’m a classic got all the gear but no idea! I have a Jackson Dinky and a nice surf green Japanese Squire Stratocaster with a Roland 30X cube amp so it needs to be played, I’ll check out some of the links and hopefully get playing soon..
    Let us know what riffs you're interested in if you'd like some help. Actually if you do a search for them on YouTube you can probably find someone demonstrating them.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Let us know what riffs you're interested in if you'd like some help. Actually if you do a search for them on YouTube you can probably find someone demonstrating them.
    I like David Gilmour so I’d like to start with something like the solo in Comfortably Numb.

Okay, back to reality! Yes I have looked at YouTube and most riffs are played on there in a manner to learn, I just need to put time into it and keep going..

Journeyman
    Search Fender Play. My son just nabbed a three month free subscription. Solid videos and good solid basics so far. He likes the videos and variety of instructors.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you had to get an access code from the Fender website to add the app. Works great on an iPad. Good luck!

Journeyman
    I think you had to get an access code from the Fender website to add the app. Works great on an iPad. Good luck!

Good luck to all you new players!

Don't be discouraged, practise your chords and changing comfortably between them until they are in your fingers.

I would also try to learn the notes on the E string and perhaps a blues scale.

It will probably take a year before you start feeling like a guitarist but keep it up and you'll have a lifetime of pleasure.

Remember Lou Reed's inimitable words, "One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Already watching a few of Justin’s videos ahead of getting the guitar, looking forward to it - last 2 times learning was through parents & school pushing. Feels great wanting to do it.

Craftsman
    I started to learn a few years ago at well past the age of 50 with no discernible talent or ear, It was hard work and that was with putting a lot of hours in. I couldn’t even stretch my fingers to a C chord. These days I get by ok, had a gig lined up before CV. The most important thing is just how much I enjoy it, being creative, relaxing and just playing has been good for me. Learn the chord shapes, get them to change quickly enough and start playing along. YouTube and listening to the songs helps greatly, but the best thing I’ve found is playing music with other people, being the worst player in the room motivates you and musicians will help you out when you get stuck.

BEWARE: if you think watches are an expensive hobby - guitars Amps and pedals can be much worse:grief :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post

BEWARE: if you think watches are an expensive hobby - guitars Amps and pedals can be much worse:grief :)
    I can second that! It is very easy to buy stuff - I have 3 amps already! When I couldn’t justify another, I bought something for my daughter instead!
    In the first year I only bought a pick but after that I caved hard!

This thread inspired me (zero musical talent) to get out my guitar which I have had for about 5 years and never got round to trying to learn, however couldn’t find the cord to plug it into the amp so on hold till Amazon deliver on Sunday.
    My Daughter dug out her kids size acoustic but my fingers cover 2 strings, what is rather annoying is my Wife
    (good pianist but never played a guitar) picked it up and proceeded to produce a decent first verse of Scarborough Fair.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    however couldn’t find the cord to plug it into the amp so on hold till Amazon deliver on Sunday.
    You do realise that you CAN play an electric guitar without plugging it into an amp. I frequently practice with an unplugged guitar while watching telly, or while on a conference call (remembering to go on mute first!).

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    You do realise that you CAN play an electric guitar without plugging it into an amp. I frequently practice with an unplugged guitar while watching telly, or while on a conference call (remembering to go on mute first!).
    Yes but it’s not the same, need the full effect to encourage me.

Question - while I would like to learn so does my 13 year old son, I have 2 guitars BUT he is left handed, so do we try him with the right handers or buy him a specific lefty, I don’t want to confuse or put him off before he’s started.

I wish I put time into learning the basics when I was 13 so I’m hoping he can find how good learning the guitar could be for him..

I know a few lefty’s who play right handed guitars. I’d do the same if I was a lefty. It even makes some sense as on a right handed guitar, your left hand does the tricky bits. The right hand just strums. It makes sense to have your dominant hand do the difficult bit. Plus both hands are doing something totally alien so it makes no odds which one you have to teach to do what. And to top it off you’ll have a vastly bigger selection of guitars to choose from.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I know a few lefty’s who play right handed guitars. I’d do the same if I was a lefty. It even makes some sense as on a right handed guitar, your left hand does the tricky bits. The right hand just strums. It makes sense to have your dominant hand do the difficult bit. Plus both hands are doing something totally alien so it makes no odds which one you have to teach to do what. And to top it off you’ll have a vastly bigger selection of guitars to choose from.
    I agree. I’m left handed and play a right handed guitar which seems the most normal way round for me.

I would also suggest that it’s a positive advantage to use you dominant hand on the fretboard and just your other for strumming and a bit of picking. Although it does explain why I can’t finger pick for the life of me

Master
    Pete,

In the same boat here, but acoustic.

Andy McKee has posted 2 out of 3 instructional videos so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtJSgxGjmc&t
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRbba9GTqrg

on how to play Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZimv-KYr8M

I suspect that might be a bit too hard though.

Rob.

Craftsman
    I have also just started leaning today, you could call it re-learning but as I haven't played since the late eighties I think I am pretty much starting from scratch. Thought that as I am going to have plenty of time on my hands for the foreseeable future that it would be good to take up a hobby that needs plenty of practice especially early on.

Just treated myself to a Nashville Telecaster deluxe that has a Stratocaster pickup in addition to the traditional two pickups on a regular Tele, it arrived today. I know that I should have gone into a guitar shop with a friend who knows their stuff and played around with a few guitars until I found one that felt right, but that isn't going to happen right now. I have signed up with JustinGuitar, Andy Guitar and Fender Play. After about four hours of practice I have sore fingers and can now play the opening riff to Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 very poorly.
    Last edited by smoz; 14th April 2020 at 23:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Already watching a few of Justin’s videos ahead of getting the guitar, looking forward to it - last 2 times learning was through parents & school pushing. Feels great wanting to do it.
    Have you joind his forum yet?

HERE

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Have you joind his forum yet?

HERE

John
    Yes but not looked at the forum yet.

Annoyingly received an email that my guitar delivery will be delayed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    I have also just started leaning today, you could call it re-learning but as I haven't played since the late eighties I think I am pretty much starting from scratch. Thought that as I am going to have plenty of time on my hands for the foreseeable future that it would be good to take up a hobby that needs plenty of practice especially early on.

Just treated myself to a Nashville Telecaster deluxe that has a Stratocaster pickup in addition to the traditional two pickups on a regular Tele, it arrived today. I know that I should have gone into a guitar shop with a friend who knows their stuff and played around with a few guitars until I found one that felt right, but that isn't going to happen right now. I have signed up with JustinGuitar, Andy Guitar and Fender Play. After about four hours of practice I have sore fingers and can now play the opening riff to Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 very poorly.
    Sounds like you still have some muscle memory from your days of playing in the 80's then! When I first started, with zero musical knowledge or background, it took a lot longer than 4 hours to be even able to a C chord cleanly (or any of them actually).

Craftsman
    This is great,

https://youtu.be/pesT_u_N2tk

Seems a real nice guy

Master
    Well it has arrived, minus any plectrums & very safe to say I have zero muscle memory whatsoever & can’t recall where my fingers need to be for songs. I’m staring at my hand willing the fingers to move and go to the correct frets but they can’t & dont!

Guess I am back very much at the start of the journey.

Master
    Well it has arrived, minus any plectrums & very safe to say I have zero muscle memory whatsoever & can’t recall where my fingers need to be for songs. I’m staring at my hand willing the fingers to move and go to the correct frets but they can’t & dont!

Guess I am back very much at the start of the journey.
    Congratulations on your new guitar!
    Good luck with learning again. Am sure it will come back once you’ve started.

What did you get by the way?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Congratulations on your new guitar!
    Good luck with learning again. Am sure it will come back once you’ve started.

What did you get by the way?
    I went for an Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT.

Always loved the LP Classic shape but can’t justify the cost to learn with. Guess growing up as a huge GnR fan helped shape that. Previous guitar was a cheap strat-a-like, this feels much better than I remember (well the neck doesn’t flex for a start lol)

Went for walnut finish as didn’t believe the sunburst finishes on a £200 guitar would be like the LP Classics I have handled & would have been disappointed.

Dear lord I forgot how painful the strings were, can barely strum more than a few minutes at the moment!

Master
    I went for an Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT.

Always loved the LP Classic shape but can’t justify the cost to learn with. Guess growing up as a huge GnR fan helped shape that. Previous guitar was a cheap strat-a-like, this feels much better than I remember (well the neck doesn’t flex for a start lol)

Went for walnut finish as didn’t believe the sunburst finishes on a £200 guitar would be like the LP Classics I have handled & would have been disappointed.

Dear lord I forgot how painful the strings were, can barely strum more than a few minutes at the moment!

Great choice! Don't have a LP type guitar (yet)....

Grew up with GnR as well, but loved Hendrix first so it had to be a strat for me.

Master
    Great choice! Don't have a LP type guitar (yet)....

Grew up with GnR as well, but loved Hendrix first so it had to be a strat for me.
    Thanks, did some research and seemed happy with it.

Hendrix & Clapton for me, so the Strat from my parents was a good choice, just preferred the look of Slash....then learned neither made me play well!

20 mins practicing A to D & my fingertips are making me wonder why this was ever a decision to buy!

Been window shopping £5k Gibson LPs and the wife caught me, asking WTF I was doing given I can't even play a tune yet....just love the look of those high quality finishes.

Amusing convo with BIL mentioning I bought an AC30 amp, failing to mention it was the headphone version...am still learning the terminology.

Neighbour keeps learning his ukulele outside every morning, tempted for the Marshall full stack as retaliation in lockdown!

Craftsman
    Thanks, did some research and seemed happy with it.

Hendrix & Clapton for me, so the Strat from my parents was a good choice, just preferred the look of Slash....then learned neither made me play well!

20 mins practicing A to D & my fingertips are making me wonder why this was ever a decision to buy!

Been window shopping £5k Gibson LPs and the wife caught me, asking WTF I was doing given I can't even play a tune yet....just love the look of those high quality finishes.

Amusing convo with BIL mentioning I bought an AC30 amp, failing to mention it was the headphone version...am still learning the terminology.

Neighbour keeps learning his ukulele outside every morning, tempted for the Marshall full stack as retaliation in lockdown!
    That all sounds familiar to me.

Substitute Joe Strummer and Keith Richards in my case, so I got a Telecaster.

Sore fingers after starting to play again after thirty years, yep.

Browsing more expensive guitars on-line, that I will never be able to justify, yep.

Vox AC30 headphone amp to go with my new guitar yep.

By the way the iRig which has already been mentioned is also good, connects your guitar to smartphone/tablet/PC/Mac where there are lots of apps for different amps, pedals and other effects, much bigger choice than the AC30 device, also has a headphone output. You could probably find an app with that Marshall stack you mentioned. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/

Master
    That all sounds familiar to me.

Substitute Joe Strummer and Keith Richards in my case, so I got a Telecaster.

Sore fingers after starting to play again after thirty years, yep.

Browsing more expensive guitars on-line, that I will never be able to justify, yep.

Vox AC30 headphone amp to go with my new guitar yep.

By the way the iRig which has already been mentioned is also good, connects your guitar to smartphone/tablet/PC/Mac where there are lots of apps for different amps, pedals and other effects, much bigger choice than the AC30 device, also has a headphone output. You could probably find an app with that Marshall stack you mentioned. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/
    Certainly looks good, I’m just on the pain journey so far before buying extras - promised myself that this would be a ‘learn, improve, buy’ hobby.

But god those finishes on the premium LPs look amazing. So glad the BIL pointed out what £200 would look like vs my ‘Gibson’ expectation.

Trying to avoid any pedals this time around also, as the gift of being an older fart means I appreciate lack of skill vs the toys...for the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Well I have to say, my lad seems to be enjoying learning guitar even though he is left handed playing a right handed guitar, we have had smoke on the water and seven nation army riffs so far.
    I’m trying to get him to watch technique videos so his strumming cleans up, for now I’m just happy he is off the PC and enjoying the guitar, as a parent there is always hope he will have a life long hobby..

My turn next - poor missus!!

Craftsman
    Learned two new chords today, C & G. But managed to forget the one that I learned a couple of days ago, progress is slow.

Master
    One of the things that got me into wanting to learn was that I've always liked the blues. Having said that, I've struggled to learn to play it as the songs I was learning from weren't quite what I had in my head.
    So this morning I happened to listen to Malted Milk by Eric Clapton on his Unplugged album and thought - that's what I was after! It's a 'proper' old school style slow blues song, with the rhythm and structure of many others.

Quick search on how to play it and I found this site dedicated to the blues. Thought it may be useful for others so have posted it here. Haven't tried putting the lessons into practice yet, but it seems to make more sense than the stuff I was taught before.

If anyone has any other good Blues resources then please share.

Here's the link - https://12bar.de/cms/

Cheers all

Master
    Learned two new chords today, C & G. But managed to forget the one that I learned a couple of days ago, progress is slow.
    Never mind, at least you can play Born In The USA.

Master
    I got interested in learning about 5 years ago and my dad plays and was in a Beatles style group in the 60's. When I told him I wanted to learn he gave me his lovely Epiphone Sheraton which is about 30 years old I think. Relatively easy to learn on I found due to being a semi-hollow body so can practice without amplification and not much gap between the frets to stretch for the chords. I changed the strings for a lighter gauge which is easier and hurts the finger tips less I found especially with the relatively low action meaning minimal effort to get clean sounding chords.

When I first started I practised every day for a good year and then as with lots of hobbies my interests drifted elsewhere. Recently wanted to get back to it and this thread has given me the extra push and it's really rewarding when you learn a song and the chord changes come naturally. Like watches though I started a collection of guitars though stopped at 4 as that seemed more than enough but like them all in different ways.

Some great tips for online tutorials etc here which I've used and would agree with. I found practicing for no more than an hour a day was enough to improve significantly over a few months. Thankfully having now restarted after a couple of years off the muscle memory for the chords and strumming patters are still there.
    Good luck with it everyone and it's a perfect time to start learning.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 18th April 2020 at 15:44.

One of the things that got me into wanting to learn was that I've always liked the blues. Having said that, I've struggled to learn to play it as the songs I was learning from weren't quite what I had in my head.
    So this morning I happened to listen to Malted Milk by Eric Clapton on his Unplugged album and thought - that's what I was after! It's a 'proper' old school style slow blues song, with the rhythm and structure of many others.

Quick search on how to play it and I found this site dedicated to the blues. Thought it may be useful for others so have posted it here. Haven't tried putting the lessons into practice yet, but it seems to make more sense than the stuff I was taught before.

If anyone has any other good Blues resources then please share.

Here's the link - https://12bar.de/cms/

Cheers all

You may find this of interest.
    F.T.F.A.

Just put together something that sounds like a tune!!

The intro to Sally Cinnamon by the Stone Roses! It’s definitely recognisable but unlikely to win any music awards!!

still struggling to change between chords but I’m sure that will come with more time

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Just put together something that sounds like a tune!!

The intro to Sally Cinnamon by the Stone Roses! It’s definitely recognisable but unlikely to win any music awards!!

still struggling to change between chords but I’m sure that will come with more time
    Well done, very satisfying when it happens. Regarding the change between chords you'll find with time and practice practice practice you'll collect a nice little library of half a dozen to a dozen or so that you use regularly. You will be able to just swap between these at will, not even looking at the fretboard. Seems unlikely now, but it will come. These chords, d, f, c, a minor etc form the basis for many songs. Persevere and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

You’re right It does seem miles away!

On a different note, my wife has volunteered us to do a quiz next week and she suggested I record some of my attempts of some intros for a music round!! Motivation do put some practice in.

What’s the easiest way to record my attempts? I don’t have an amp, I’m using an iPad/headphones/iRig set up.

Any ideas would be good.

Master
    I’ve mastered A & D today. Changes between them are slow as hell though, will get better. Never understood the ‘played it till my fingers bled’ like from Bryan, I feel I’m almost there in about 10 minutes before needing to put it down, perhaps I have especially thin skin? Lol

Got huge fret buzz when I use the A string on any fret so guessing a decent set up when places are open will help sort it all out.

It is the least of my concerns at the moment, the limiting factor is quite clearly talent!