closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small new auto dive watch suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Ordered a lip mariner last year. Big discount in a sale. One of the cheapest, nastiest feeling watches I've ever handled. Sent back without even sizing the thing.
    Ah, that shows the importance of some first hand experience! The Nautic Ski was nice enough when I handled it, so I figured the Marinier would be ok too. Thanks for setting that straight.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Ordered a lip mariner last year. Big discount in a sale. One of the cheapest, nastiest feeling watches I've ever handled. Sent back without even sizing the thing.
    Good to know, thanks

Dan Henry 1970 fits some of the criteria

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    The Ventus Northstar ticks most of your boxes.
    https://ventuswatches.com/collection...ches-northstar

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    I'm also following this thread with interest.

Currently thinking about the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500 the next time I can justify a watch purchase but the Ventus looks good. Anyone have any hands-on experience?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Banned

Small new auto dive watch suggestions

Have you had a look at orient mako’s or ray’s, they have a vast range of models and colour themes. These are fantastic and ticks most or all of your boxes.

Thanks for your input, a brand that clearly divides opinion but might just be worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I've had their automatic Depthmaster diver and MIL-TEC Mk.IV quartz chrono both for about a year, and based on those I'm honestly puzzled why they're not more popular.

The Depthmaster in particular is in all ways a lot of watch for the money (I paid Ł380 new on ebay) - 1000m depth rated, tritium tubes, very bright superluminova ceramic bezel (best-executed bezel of anything I own, FWIW), drilled lugs with very solid threaded bars, and AR treated sapphire crystal. Sure, the NH35A movement is unexciting, but there's something to be said for a movement so cheap it can be binned and replaced with new for Łless than most watches can be serviced...

I use the Depthmaster in particular as a beater for gardening, building and paddock work, and it's still looking almost new despite taking a fair few knocks and a lot grime.

As I see from the previous poster that they've marked their cards in the past, I guess that explains why they remain under the radar. I'd not let that put you off - I found their customer service very good when a couple of non-watch items needed exchanging.

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    Have you had a look at orient mako’s or ray’s, they have a vast range of models and colour themes. These are fantastic and ticks most or all of your boxes.
    Yes the Orients look good, maybe just a bit big?

I've always felt that I'm the only person who doesn't like those Orient Ray / Mako divers. For me, the hands are too short and I don't like either the indentations into the bezel insert or the barnacle above the crown. However the case and bracelet do look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've always felt that I'm the only person who doesn't like those Orient Ray / Mako divers. For me, the hands are too short and I don't like either the indentations into the bezel insert or the barnacle above the crown. However the case and bracelet do look nice.
    You're not alone, they're not for me either. From the "Rothmans" logo to the way they're styled and finished that somehow to my eye makes them look like they've been worn-down with misuse, I just can't love them. I find a fair number of feted Japanese designs to be dated and replete with fussy, jarring details that rob them of harmony. No question they're decent VFM and some will love them, but aesthetics will always be divisive.

Craftsman
    The newer version of the 'mako/ray' that goes by the name Orient Kamasu is a much more pleasing diver to the eye in my opinion, also has the sapphire crystal you would like.

Some pics for you below

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cart3rlfc; 15th April 2020 at 13:04.

Craftsman
    Just been thinking you also have the kickstarter watch Second hour gin clear, Swiss Sw200 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, etc
    Price comes in about Ł340 plus taxes for shipping from Australia

There is also NTH Subs
    Somewhat of a homage, but I think they have there own styling to, enough to set them apart.
    They are 11.5mm thick, with sapphire crystal, steel bezel, 40mm, 300m water resistance. These are about Ł600 online new

Again pictures below

Journeyman
    Following with interest

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    The newer version of the 'mako/ray' that goes by the name Orient Kamasu is a much more pleasing diver to the eye in my opinion, also has the sapphire crystal you would like.

Some pics for you below

This is exactly what I was looking for... just need to find out if stated diameter includes crown.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for... just need to find out if stated diameter includes crown.
    Its 41.8 without crown! Sorry about that, thought it was 40mm

It’s the nicest Orient diver in that price range I’ve seen!

The Saturation Diver is not only my favourite Orient, it’s one of my all-time favourite divers. Doesn’t remotely meet your brief but it’s just so damn good....

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 15th April 2020 at 19:08.

Blog Entries
    Marathon Watch WW194026 is Ł600 on Amazon at the moment.

The date is in the wrong place & 13mm thick - but nearly hits the brief ....

z

Craftsman
    What is it with date windows between 4 and 5?! The Hamilton Khaki Scuba mentioned earlier in the thread was potentially a great looking watch that was also completely ruined by this design choice. How does any watch designer or company think it looks better than aligning with an index marker? I just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Marathon Watch WW194026 is Ł600 on Amazon at the moment.

The date is in the wrong place & 13mm thick - but nearly hits the brief ....

z

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    What is it with date windows between 4 and 5?! The Hamilton Khaki Scuba mentioned earlier in the thread was potentially a great looking watch that was also completely ruined by this design choice. How does any watch designer or company think it looks better than aligning with an index marker? I just don't get it.
    For the sake of perverse buggers like myself presumably. I hate having the date at 3. 6 is OK, but 4.30 is perfect to my eye - at least for tool watches like divers...

Now what does vex me are oblong date windows and date wheels that don't match dials. Truth is these are trivial design preferences, and we'll never all agree...

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    How does any watch designer or company think it looks better than aligning with an index marker?
    Memories of this:

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    You're not alone, they're not for me either. From the "Rothmans" logo to the way they're styled and finished that somehow to my eye makes them look like they've been worn-down with misuse, I just can't love them. I find a fair number of feted Japanese designs to be dated and replete with fussy, jarring details that rob them of harmony. No question they're decent VFM and some will love them, but aesthetics will always be divisive.
    This is the Orient without the Rothmans logo. It's my Orient Air Diver, nicknamed 'Revolver". I was lucky to stumble upon it on eBay, both the 200M and 300M models are, to quote Blackadder, like a dog who speaks Norwegian.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    This is the Orient without the Rothmans logo. It's my Orient Air Diver, nicknamed 'Revolver". I was lucky to stumble upon it on eBay, both the 200M and 300M models are, to quote Blackadder, like a dog who speaks Norwegian.

Love the dial on that - if I could have that teamed with the case and bezel of the model TaketheCannoli posted, I think I'd be an enthusiastic convert

The Saturation Diver is not only my favourite Orient, it’s one of my all-time favourite divers. Doesn’t remotely meet your brief but it’s just so damn good....

These seem incredibly hard to find for sale in the UK, I'm not keen on buying a watch for around 1K without feeling it's heft first. Does anyone on the forum have one (or indeed know of anyone who has one) in the UK?

I’m sure there’s a couple of owners on the forum.

These seem incredibly hard to find for sale in the UK, I'm not keen on buying a watch for around 1K without feeling it's heft first. Does anyone on the forum have one (or indeed know of anyone who has one) in the UK?

I owned one and loved it. It’s a fantastic and unusual watch. But... it’s massive... gigantic... very heavy. I ended up selling it as I just couldn’t pull it off. Definitely try it first if you can.

Are you any closer to a decision OP? Have we helped or confused?

It’s been a really useful thread. A lot of suggestions I’ve never heard of or wouldn’t have found myself.

I think the black Orient Kamasu ticks most boxes apart from size. I’d prefer 40mm but it isn’t much over that.

Just looking where’s best to buy an Orient from now!

The Armida A12 will cover all that criteria.

Plus it has amazing lume!

And at the moment you get 15% off in the Easter sale. ;)

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It’s been a really useful thread. A lot of suggestions I’ve never heard of or wouldn’t have found myself.

I think the black Orient Kamasu ticks most boxes apart from size. I’d prefer 40mm but it isn’t much over that.

Just looking where’s best to buy an Orient from now!
    Amazon

Master

This is 47 mm, 18 mm tall, 250 grams monster.

It is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    This is 47 mm, 18 mm tall, 250 grams monster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    The Armida A12 will cover all that criteria.

Plus it has amazing lume!

And at the moment you get 15% off in the Easter sale. ;)

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    This looks nice. Shame is it of stock.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk