closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Foot pain...

Master

Foot pain...

Ironic given I've just bought half a dozen pairs of trainers, but I'm having some quite severe pains in my foot this weekend.
    Late last week I had a dull throbbing in my big toe, now it's a little ball of agony just below the joint over the ball of my left foot and seems to end getting worse, with a hard lump forming.

I hate this self diagnosing malarkey but a good look online suggests that it points to a bunion forming. Some say the pain comes and goes with that but I've been in constant pain since waking up on saturday and its only getting worse. I did quite a bit of heavy garden stuff this week digging out a new patio and path so I was really just hoping I'd strained something or twisted badly.

I really try to avoid visiting the doctor at the best of times and given the timing I'm even more reluctant as it strikes me hospital and xrays may be needed. Any advice?

Grand Master
    It’s probably inflammation in the joint behind your big toe, made worse by the digging. Suggest you take ibuprofen (provided you’re stomach’s OK with anti- inflammatories) and put an icepack on it.

Sounds like it could be gout?

Bunion or gout. Or both.

My first major gout attack accompanied the formation of a bunion.

Exclamation

It sounds like gout and it’s horrible. :( Can last 7 days but you need to drink LOTS of water to flush out the uric acid in the joint and take strong anti-inflammatory pain killers if you have them.

Lots of rest too. Leg up! Echinacea tablets can often help too. Poor diet triggers gout - too much fat, sugar and alcohol.

Good luck! The pain is excruciating and persistent but it will get better. A hospital won’t be able to help.

If its gout, and it sounds likely, then you have my sympathy. As others have said, rest, water and ibuprofen should help.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    If its gout, and it sounds likely, then you have my sympathy. As others have said, rest, water and ibuprofen should help.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    And stay off the beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Bunion or gout. Or both.

My first major gout attack accompanied the formation of a bunion.
    Yes this, I have exactly the same problem. Visible bunion on one foot with the other not far behind. One of the many joys of getting old...

Craftsman
    Sounds 100% like gout
    Its very painful makes child birth seem like a walk in the park (when we could do that )
    Normal flare ups are caused by over excessing on partying or exercise in fact anything that makes you feel rundown and exhausted
    Ive had it for years but i know very rarely have a twinge
    The magic is Allopurinol
    Its prescription only but it works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Sounds 100% like gout
    Its very painful makes child birth seem like a walk in the park (when we could do that )
    Normal flare ups are caused by over excessing on partying or exercise in fact anything that makes you feel rundown and exhausted
    Ive had it for years but i know very rarely have a twinge
    The magic is Allopurinol
    Its prescription only but it works
    Too much meat, especially cured meat, triggers mine. Just had a very nasty bout that lasted over a fortnight. At one time I only got it in my left foot (misdiagnosed for years as plantar fasciitis); now I get it in both feet and in one knuckle on my left hand. I thought for about a year that I had it under control taking a montmorency cherry supplement as recommended by my GP, but it came back with a vengeance eventually. When the current unpleasantness is over I'm going to have to admit defeat and get on allopurinol.

To quote my late mother, "don't get old, it's a pain in the neck".

Master
    Thanks everybody! Still crap, but what I'd hoped was that it could be something that would go away by itself.
    I'll give it the week and see.
    Thanks!

You have been bitten by a slow worm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Poor diet triggers gout - too much fat, sugar and alcohol.
    If this is correct, I have calculated I should be 85% gout by now.

Deviated off my normal healthy eating regime this weekend and hey presto......GOUT!!

Its a son of a bitch!!

Luckily learnt to not ignore the early signals, popped the anti inflammatories, cut the alcohol, sugar and other crap and drink gallons of water.

OP you have my deepest sympathies.

Master
    If it is gout I second Cherry Extract - Cherry Go Max Montmorency Supplement - (750mg) 90 Capsules | High Strength Sour Cherry Prunus Cerasus Extract | UK Manufactured to GMP Standards - available from Amazon.

Master
    I suffer from gout as well, which this sounds like. You have my sympathy as it's blooming awful. I've been taking allopurinol for around 6 months now and haven't had another episode, suggest when things get back to a more normal state you get some blood tests done which should confirm if you have gout. Plenty of water and no beer, good luck👍

Master
    I’ve had a few flare ups over the years, last one particularly bad, only thing that had any affect was pure Cherry juice and Tumeric

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

As people will testify if you get a bad attack it can be the most uncomfortable pain there is. Once you’ve had it you’ll start recognising the signs of another attack and start on the remedies before it comes out fully...

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I suffer from gout as well, which this sounds like. You have my sympathy as it's blooming awful. I've been taking allopurinol for around 6 months now and haven't had another episode, suggest when things get back to a more normal state you get some blood tests done which should confirm if you have gout. Plenty of water and no beer, good luck👍
    It is surprisingly painful and people don’t really understand it, I felt awkward asking to work from home when I had some serious attacks. I was once staying in Manchester for work and got an attack so painful that I went to a hospital in the middle of the night for strong pain killers.

I now take 200mg of Allupurionol every day and I haven’t had a bad attack since.

I had a minor bout of gout about 6 months ago. At the start of it I reckoned I'd perhaps got a small fracture in my big toe and so strapped it up and went to work as normal. It was absolute agony, I could barely walk by the end of the day.

Thing is, it was only one single toe. I've seen people whose legs are so swollen with it they're actually shiny so I know mine was at the lowest possible end of the scale and still crippled me for a couple of days. It was sorted quickly with colchicine but I never want that pain again.

Grand Master
    Hopefully it's not gout, never suffered myself but I`ve heard enough bad stories to hope I never get it.

If the pain started whilst doing the digging I`d still suspect inflammation, related to pushing down on a spade with the foot. A lump could be a sign of bursitis, I`ve had it in my foot and both elbows, in each case it was caused by new/different activity, it was painful and took a while to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    If it is gout I second Cherry Extract - Cherry Go Max Montmorency Supplement - (750mg) 90 Capsules | High Strength Sour Cherry Prunus Cerasus Extract | UK Manufactured to GMP Standards - available from Amazon.
    Thanks for that, I've stored a link for future reference. At the moment I can recognise the early symptoms and, like others in this thread, stave them off by drinking plenty of fluids (non-alcoholic) etc.

The OP may be interested in:

I might just add something to this....

I have on and off trouble with my left foot and occasionally my right foot in the same areas the OP described.
    After some professional consulatation it was clear that it was age related and it has a lot to do with simple getting out of bed.
    When we get up out of bed we immediatley put full load down on our stiff feet with the very first step.
    When my foot acts up now I do a sort of stretch thing where I spell out the alphabet by moving my foot (as if my big toe is a pencil). I find that stretch routine that takes about 2 minutes helps the foot loosen up and improves things.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Sounds like it could be gout?
    Just what I was thinking

To much of the good life

As others have said, it does sound like it might be gout. It's bloody painful (even the weight of a single bed sheet on your big toe is agony), but like a few on here I'm on 200mg Allopurinol per day and haven't had an attack in years. Allopurinol has very few, if any, side effects. You will need to go to a doctor (and get a blood test for uric acid level) before they'll prescribe it.

In the meantime, the UK Gout Society web site - http://www.ukgoutsociety.org/ - has some good factsheets about diagnosis, diet, etc.

And please DO go to a doctor when you get a chance. A bunch of blokes on the internet will do our best to help, but nothing substitutes for getting a professional diagnosis/opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I had a minor bout of gout about 6 months ago. At the start of it I reckoned I'd perhaps got a small fracture in my big toe and so strapped it up and went to work as normal. It was absolute agony, I could barely walk by the end of the day.

That was me yesterday, strapped it but it never improved.

Today it does feel much better, still sore but I can put weight on my foot and there is some flexibility coming back. Last night - as someone mentioned above - I couldn't even have the weight of a bedsheet on it, took me until 4am to drift get to sleep.

Many thanks for the words of wisdom chaps, I'll get to the doctor but at least it's nothing I need to do right this minute, I can wait until things settle down a bit.

Gout fits. I've been on a bit of a health kick for the last 6 weeks. Lost almost a stone by cutting out all the garbage and being far more active. This week though (Easter holidays) when I've not had schoolwork to do with the kids we've slid a bit. Takeaway one night, fizzy drinks, crisps and chocolate - stuff I've not had in a couple of months now. I never released it could have quite that effect.

I won't make diagnoses over the internet.

Craftsman
    If gout, then Colchicine could be an option for you too. Best of luck getting over this.

I was wondering if its a working at home issue causing the gout?
    (eating too many takeaways recently and definately upping the beer/wine intake, less outdoor excercise etc)

I seemed to have had a small flare up but has subsided - recommend cherry juice or extract

though if your foot has small red sores appearing could also be corona virus: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pect-link.html