closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton owners - thoughts on the brand?

Hamilton owners - thoughts on the brand?

I am seriously considering a Hamilton chrono as my next watch. At retail this comes in just shy of 2K (although discounts seem readily available). Before I spend my money I thought I would seek opinion as to the quality of the brand and any ownership experiences?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I am seriously considering a Hamilton chrono as my next watch. At retail this comes in just shy of 2K (although discounts seem readily available). Before I spend my money I thought I would seek opinion as to the quality of the brand and any ownership experiences?
    I have a khaki king auto which has become my daily wear. Lovely looking watch and a lot of watch for the money.

I think that in the 2k price bracket I might be looking elsewhere though but that's just a hunch. I like the intra-matic if that's what you're looking at

Master
    The Chrono looks great but £2k is pushing it into the territory occupied by far more prestigious brands. You'll take a huge hit on it. I'd patiently wait for a used one or choose a used longines heritage Chrono.

I have a few Hamiltons and I love their vintage aesthetic - my intramatic dress 2 hander is a favourite. But I'd expect their auto Chronos to be in the same price range as Tissot, which are around £800- £1k.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stefmcd; 12th April 2020 at 11:07.

I currently have two Hamilton chronos in my collection and have owned a couple of 3-handers before. Similar to Seiko in the same price bracket: good quality, excellent value for money.

They don't really hold their value as well as Seiko though. A 2k RRP chrono will probably sell used for about £800 on average. I suspect the Intra-Matic panda chronos will hold their value better than some, but unless they become rare and collectable, probably not all that well. Were it not for that fact, I'd probably be all over the one at 20% off (£1,543.99 / RRP £1,930.00) at Jura (model H38416711). I expect that even at that price it'll lose about £500 as soon as the box is opened.

If you like the intra-matic and plan on keeping it, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the quality at all. But if you're likely to need to get most of your money back later, don't buy new.
    Last edited by robt; 12th April 2020 at 11:30. Reason: added model number for future reference

I have this, picked up from eBay for a bargain £600, it had dropped like a stone, I think there were around £2K new. I'm very happy with the build quality, appearance and time keeping. I'd certainly consider Hamilton again but probably not as a brand new purchase.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Having read the other Hamilton thread, I'm now looking at the Intra-matics (old and new).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I have this, picked up from eBay for a bargain £600, it had dropped like a stone, I think there were around £2K new. I'm very happy with the build quality, appearance and time keeping. I'd certainly consider Hamilton again but probably not as a brand new purchase.

You did well there. V attractive and great price.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Jura often have good discount on Hamilton. I’m a fan, especially of the Khaki range.

- - - Updated - - -

Jura often have good discount on Hamilton. I’m a fan, especially of the Khaki range.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have two Hamiltons.
    A Khaki Automatic and a Khaki Mechanical, neither are chrono's.
    Both purchased from an AD and at considerably less than RRP. I think the auto was about £400ish less than RRP and the mechanical was about half price.
    They both perform well above their price point.
    The only thing I have changed is the straps. I don't like new straps so they both have, comfortably worn, Timefactors straps fitted.
    Hamilton watches are quite often heavily discounted by some AD's.

Master
    I bought a Khaki Scuba Navy on impulse when on holiday in the USA (Mrs Beanie got a $200 voucher towards anything else in the store after purchasing a ring, so I had to do it) and I like it very much. It is well built with a domed sapphire, sturdy bracelet and clasp, and keeps good time. I have no knowledge of the chronos so can't help there unfortunately.

Journeyman
    Make sure you get a good discount on a Hamilton when you buy great value for money ..I picked up a longines auto a couple weeks ago from the Beaverbrook sale for a very tasty price

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    I have 2 venturas and a Frogman, really can't fault them, great quality, all been picked up for a few quid below retial.
    Definitely check it out.

Craftsman
    I'm quite a fan of the brand, I have a Khaki Air race and Khaki Field

Wanted something super legible and the Air race fits the bill perfectly and its 80 reserve is impressive. I buy mine from Jomashop usually

Not a chrono, but I’ve been very very impressed with my Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I'm quite a fan of the brand, I have a Khaki Air race and Khaki Field

Wanted something super legible and the Air race fits the bill perfectly and its 80 reserve is impressive. I buy mine from Jomashop usually
    liner33 i bought a watch once from jomashop when i was in the US ...didnt realize they ship to the uk do you pay customs on it just curious thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    liner33 i bought a watch once from jomashop when i was in the US ...didnt realize they ship to the uk do you pay customs on it just curious thanks
    Yep you pay 20% vat , it works out about the same price on the website in USD as you end up paying in GBP

Journeyman
    I have a khaki pilot auto that I bought around 6 years ago.Great watch 46mm and the leather strap is still going well.Granted I don’t wear it every day but it’s definitely a good quality strap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Yep you pay 20% vat , it works out about the same price on the website in USD as you end up paying in GBP
    ok thanks

Even £1500 from Jura is expensive,like I said on the other Hamilton post,you can get them on Chrono24 across Europe starting at around £1300,that’s where I’ll be getting mine from. Buying at £1300 and selling for roughly 1k is not too bad,I can live with that,not that I would need to sell it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Big fan here. Can’t fault the brand, great history and excellent value for money when bought at a discount or second hand, I have three in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

Wow! You did really well on price for a chronograph version.

I personally like the brand. I picked up a three-hander Pan Europ in the 'marmite' green version which I love. Can't fault an automatic that you can wear on the Friday, put away for the weekend whilst you wear something else and come back to an auto movement that's still running. The green catches the eye and gains remarks on how it changes shade with the light. However, I don't think I'd be looking to spend on a new £2k Hamilton, even with a 25% discount sadly.

Purchased a Khaki Air Race recently, and am extremely impressed by it, especially given it cost little more than some people are asking for an SKX nowadays, the 80 hour movement is a gem, and overall finish and attention to detail is frankly amazing at the price. I doubt it's the last Hamilton I will own.

Quick look on C24 shows Intra-Matic chronos for sale in the UK ~£1200 new. Seems a lot of watch provided you are buying to keep.

I have a couple of Hammys - a Khaki Field Officer, which at 44mm is the largest watch I wear, and the LL Bean example I’ve written about before.

I have a soft spot for the brand and quite fancy a Khaki Navy GMT and a W10 - quite different watches!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 14th April 2020 at 06:21.

Journeyman
    I wanted a GMT and bought this on a whim at Bicester Village:

It keeps great time. Quality is OK but not as good a my son's Tissots.

Craftsman
    I have had 2 Hamilton Khaki mechanicals. I highly recommend them. I prefer the pre H-50 movement which is the modified ETA 2801. I just like the original, who needs 80 hrs with a hand wound only movement. I prefer winding my watch everyday, but that is just me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the white dial Khaki mechanical and I think it’s a well made nice looking watch. It’s definitely a keeper for me

The same quality as Tissot and Certina in my experience. I think they are all in a group under the Swatch giant and have ALOT in common in the materials and construction quality and movements.

Personally after having about 4 or 5 of these low / mid level Swiss brands, I prefer to get Japanese / German or micro brands at the same price points.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Not sure if you are into chunky Chrono’s but at 2k I’d be searching 2nd hand for Omega Chrono Divers . Real heritage with these and you’d probably lose fairly little on resale.
    I’ve owned a couple of Hamilton’s and they are well made but I’d always seek them out either heavily discounted new or via Chrono 24. Bicester Village and Portsmouth shopping outlets will have a fair range of their models