closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Post Pandemic Dreams

Master

Post Pandemic Dreams

If you’re like me, you’ll be thinking about what you’re going to do when all this is over (whenever that might be) assuming of course you emerge from it with your health, wealth and job relatively intact.

It’s the thread for sharing the things that you‘ve always put off for one reason or another but will be putting into action as soon as practical.

Me, as a lapsed PPL (25 years ago now) and a certified ‘aero sexual’ who earns his living in the aviation sector, I want to fly and will be looking at qualifying as a glider pilot and hopefully one day obtaining my own aircraft. Nothing fancy!

I know some might think it odd to be talking about things you dream of doing when so many people have lost their jobs right now and will be struggling, but it’s meant as a what are you looking forward to type thread, a distraction from the daily challenges if you like.

Master
    Decided to change a few priorities and set a few goals.

Then getting ass into gear to buy the holiday home and get away from the city.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just want to take the kids on holiday...

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

I'd like to visit my parents.

All I really want to do is get over to NYC to see my daughter and, god willing, my new grand-daughter (due in mid-June).

At the moment I'm oscillating between holidays, motorbikes and watches or simplifying everything down to a more basic sustainable existence.

At the moment, Mrs Gyp is only considering one of those options. It's not, unsurprisingly the one that's more appealing to me.

Craftsman
    It feels like I've been reassessing my priorities since this whole lockdown started. Not in some kind of trite, self-help way - more as a natural consequence of having all this time on my hands & nowhere to go to distract myself. Not quite sure yet where I'll end up, but I'm pretty sure I'll end this period a different person than I was when I started it.

My first thought is that I'm probably going to take a sabbatical from work. I'm also going to get a bunch of work done on my house. And I'm going to really, really enjoy meeting up with my friends again. Maybe give them a hug. I don't have much by way of family, so it's friends I'm missing most of all. I ALSO VERY MUCH WANT TO GO ON A LONG HOLIDAY SOMEWHERE BY THE SEA. Swimming in the ocean & eating in little seafood restaurants - can you imagine?!

Master
    Holidays sound good, and seeing family and friends again naturally.

The other one I’m debating is getting another dog, I lost mine last year, and I really miss having that unconditional love and caring for something that is oblivious to the bad things in the world and focussed only on walks, a ball and food.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    All I really want to do is get over to NYC to see my daughter and, god willing, my new grand-daughter (due in mid-June).
    How fantastic! That really is something to look forward to!

Looking forward to reinstating a few things currently on hold, particularly a trip to visit a good friend in Nepal.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I enjoy cooking, really do, but I´ll be going to restaurants frequently at least for the first week-month or two when this ends...also off of my own property for a run, by the sea, the beach would be splendid, then jumping in to cool off and bringing my parents out for a holiday.

I’d like my pre-virus life back....turns out it was a lot better than I’d realised!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    I’d like my pre-virus life back....turns out it was a lot better than I’d realised!
    Now isn’t that an interesting thought!

Master
    I’m looking forward to getting on my motorbike, riding up to North Wales, and sit by the river eating simple fish n chips from the best chippy around.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...les_Wales.html

Master
    Take the trip to Lithuania that was cancelled a couple of days before the departure date. Then think about more trips and when to take them.

1) Go to Japan with my wife and six month daughter to introduce the latter to the Japanese side of the family. We were meant to be there now for the Sakura season. My wife is obviously gutted.

2) Go on our belated honeymoon in late September if the world is back to normal.

3) Start my WSET Level 4 wine exams.

Life is a lot simpler and that isn't such a bad thing.

As someone who is a regular user of a particularly busy section of a particular motorway river crossing I dream of the traffic staying as it is, my commute can be as much as half the pre-C19 lock down right now...

Back in the real world, a big hug from my two young nieces would be extremely heartwarming. As much as I'm missing physically being with friends it's those two I miss the most.

I'm also hoping to get by with less stuff, these last few weeks have allowed me to take stock of what I already have. It has been a while since the house has been this tidy and well organised and I've been eating better recently as well, not that I'd have ever described myself as a slob beforehand! I'd be happy if these habits remain.

Simple things, really. There wasn't anything big on the horizon that I've cancelled or postponed so there's nothing I can reinstate there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have certainly had a wake up call - 7 days of blazing fever and a few other ‘symptoms’ which my Doc is pretty certain means I have had the virus. The absolute worst of it was the mental side of thinking again and again whether I would be one of the poor souls who gets it bad and potentially dies.
    So in particular order apart from the first:

Visit each of my parents and make sure they spend more time with my kids
    Take the family on holiday
    Sell the flat I currently rent out - wipe out all non- mortgage debts
    Buy a house the size we need (using the equity we currently have and what is released from the flat)

Sounds easy, I’m sure it won’t go smoothly but number 1 is absolute priority.

Good thread.

Like many, I have been thinking about this.

First, book and arrange the biggest party the kids at my school have ever seen and invite back all those who had moved on and missed out on end of term celebrations.

Second will be to see friends and family that we haven’t been able to.

Third, book a really superb family holiday or two to make up for the ones we will have missed.

Fourth, have the main bathroom redone into something a bit spectacular (already booked, as this is giving the missus something to focus on).

Fifth, change my weekend car for something really, really special.

Sixth, treat myself to a nice new watch.

But before any of that I am going to leave a huge box of goodies on the neighbour up the road’s doorstep who is a nurse.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’m looking forward to getting on my motorbike, riding up to North Wales, and sit by the river eating simple fish n chips from the best chippy around.

Awesome! Thanks for that. I fancied a few days in Conwy for some reason, and that, most definitely, is the reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Simple one for me, I work for the NHS in Oxford but live in Suffolk, I stay with my elderly parents who are in the high risk category and am trying to help them out with shopping etc when not working, as a result I have now not been home to see and hold my 10 year old daughter for 4 weeks .. aside from staying healthy myself there is nothing I want more than to hold her close and tell her how precious she is everyday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Simple one for me, I work for the NHS in Oxford but live in Suffolk, I stay with my elderly parents who are in the high risk category and am trying to help them out with shopping etc when not working, as a result I have now not been home to see and hold my 10 year old daughter for 4 weeks .. aside from staying healthy myself there is nothing I want more than to hold her close and tell her how precious she is everyday.
    Well, I’m hoping you get to do that sooner rather than later! Amazing sacrifice, and thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Well, I’m hoping you get to do that sooner rather than later! Amazing sacrifice, and thank you.
    Thank you, that is greatly appreciated.

Craftsman
    I want to get out in the hills again - pick a good night and kip in a bivi bag at the top of a hill, falling asleep as the stars come out. Bliss.

Also eat in restaurants - those that remain anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Not an area I know that well, however we stayed there a few years back when the kids were young and ate chips from that chippy.

First thing when these has calmed down will be to sort a proper send off for my brother in-law, as 11 people at the funeral of a 30 year old wasn't how it should have been.

Then I can look to start my new career hopefully as planned in September.

And travel nothing big or exotic, but the wife's had a shit time lately and has developed a travel bug and I'm happy to help her tick places off her list, Edinburgh, Giants causeway, Rome and Salzburg.
    The brother in-law wanted to take his daughter to Disney as that's no longer going to happen, I'd like to do a long weekend in December in Euro Disney for her.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

See family and friends

Book a holiday

Will get rid of the office lease and do working from home full time- productivity has gone up and everyone at work wants to work from home .

Changes - will no longer to go a gym have taken up training at home and running outside which I enjoy more .

Go out to eat ...a lot!

Straight on the plane to the US.

Can't see it happening for a good while yet though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hope you get there soon Tone.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Hope you get there soon Tone.
    Appreciated, Neil, and take care, mate.

Journeyman
    A couple of years ago the watch fund was enough for a Tudor black bay. Got into town but couldn't do it, came back empty handed, felt too guilty about spending so much money on myself. The fund went on a surprise trip to euro disney instead, a holiday my girls still talk about. Post corona. Looks like the rebuilt watch fund is going back on euro Disney and an extended camping trip to france.

Being on furlough gives you time to make plans, the main one being less work and more play while my girls are still young. I've never really been career orientated, even less so now. I'm enjoying the time we are having as a family

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    A couple of years ago the watch fund was enough for a Tudor black bay. Got into town but couldn't do it, came back empty handed, felt too guilty about spending so much money on myself. The fund went on a surprise trip to euro disney instead, a holiday my girls still talk about. Post corona. Looks like the rebuilt watch fund is going back on euro Disney and an extended camping trip to france.

Being on furlough gives you time to make plans, the main one being less work and more play while my girls are still young. I've never really been career orientated, even less so now. I'm enjoying the time we are having as a family

You’ve definitely got your priorities right. Watches are all well and good, but family holidays and the memories you take away from them, are far more precious.

See my family.
    Play golf.
    Book holidays
    Get my son off to University.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Good thread.

Like many, I have been thinking about this.

First, book and arrange the biggest party the kids at my school have ever seen and invite back all those who had moved on and missed out on end of term celebrations.

Second will be to see friends and family that we haven’t been able to.

Third, book a really superb family holiday or two to make up for the ones we will have missed.

Fourth, have the main bathroom redone into something a bit spectacular (already booked, as this is giving the missus something to focus on).

Fifth, change my weekend car for something really, really special.

Sixth, treat myself to a nice new watch.

But before any of that I am going to leave a huge box of goodies on the neighbour up the road’s doorstep who is a nurse.
    Well that’ll get the economy going!

Recently acquired a Reichert phase contrast microscope to examine local nature reserve pond fauna … but due to current lockdown cannot venture onto the reserves. Looking forward to catching up when the emergency is over … but cannot foresee a time when the lockdown will be lifted … unless a vaccine becomes available. All the media talk about 'when the lockdown ends' is wishful thinking … the Coronavirus ain't gonna go away anytime soon.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Then getting ass into gear to buy the holiday home and get away from the city.
    I wonder how many will cash in and move out permanently.

So far for me this has been a fairly easy transition into early retirement but I am looking forward to not thinking every day about feeding the 4 adults we have living at home. Then a family holiday to Las Vegas and several motorbike road trips.

Master
    We were booked to go to Disney this year as a treat for my son finishing almost 5 years of chemo therapy. Hopefully I can keep my job through this so we can go next year.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    My priorities are as follows:

1. Go to the pub for a pint
    2. Throw a big party and have a massive pixx-up
    3. Go on holiday at some point
    4. Pay off my mortgage - I set this is a goal at the start of the year and hopefully sometime towards the back end will be in a position to do this. Guess it depends on how big 2 and 3 above are :)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    We were booked to go to Disney this year as a treat for my son finishing almost 5 years of chemo therapy. Hopefully I can keep my job through this so we can go next year.
    Fingers crossed for you mate.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Appreciating more, owning less and becoming thrifty (my new drug!)