closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace bezel and crystal on Omega 300m

Craftsman

Replace bezel and crystal on Omega 300m

Hi folks,
    I'm looking at a seamaster 300 m but the bezel is scuffed up and there's a chip out of the Crystal. How much ballpark would a new crystal and bezel be? Could I source them and have a watchmaker fit or would I be better off sending for Omega service and have them replace?
    Thanks,
    Kicmt

Master
    Maybe not exactly the same but I had a quote from STS for a new crystal and bezel on a 2254.50 in early 2018 and it was around £400.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Maybe not exactly the same but I had a quote from STS for a new crystal and bezel on a 2254.50 in early 2018 and it was around £400.
    Thanks I'm thinking that's what it might cost from omega if I sent in for a service

Craftsman
    The reference is 25418000

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mick,

Fit a good quality aftermarket sapphire, diameter 30.50mm from memory.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks I'm thinking that's what it might cost from omega if I sent in for a service
    If omega were to do it as part of a service you would be looking at 700-800.

The crystal and bezel would be non routine parts for service.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gulp.

Master
    The reference is 25418000
    The quartz?

Grand Master
    I can’t get case parts without paying daft prices, and I sold the last bezel I had recently.

Sending it to an Omega accredited repairer such as Duncan Potter (Genesis) is the best way forward, a bezel will cost around £250 and around £150 for the glass and glass seal. I’m guessing the case needs refinishing too, which will add to the cost.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The quartz?
    Yes

Craftsman
    What are the options to source parts and have local watchmaker fit?

Craftsman
    I suppose I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying and fixing up or just buy a better condition one for money

Master
    I suppose I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying and fixing up or just buy a better condition one for money
    I think Omega parts supply is fairly limited unless you are an authorised repairer.

Unless it is really cheap I would probably look for a better example as I don’t think it is a rare watch and it would probably cost less overall

Craftsman
    Thanks I've asked genisis for a quote. If it makes sense I might still buy

Master
    I think Omega parts supply is fairly limited unless you are an authorised repairer.

Unless it is really cheap I would probably look for a better example as I don’t think it is a rare watch and it would probably cost less overall
    I definitely agree with this view. When I was looking for one these I waited for a couple of years to find a mint full set. The purchase cost was a lot less than well worn examples that needed refinishing and new parts. I'd be patient and wait for the right watch.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    Wow that's mint...would a refinish from genisis leave it that good?

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    I definitely agree with this view. When I was looking for one these I waited for a couple of years to find a mint full set. The purchase cost was a lot less than well worn examples that needed refinishing and new parts. I'd be patient and wait for the right watch.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Wow that's mint...would a refinish from genisis leave it that good?
    Well I’m afraid only Duncan can answer that. 

Have you tried a wtb post here? That’s how I got mine but I took a while. Good luck with the search, it’s half the fun after all.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rtz-2541-80-00

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    Do you mind me asking ballpark what you paid? The one I'm looking at is about 750 pounds. If I add another say 500 pounds to make it new it's about 1250

Well I’m afraid only Duncan can answer that. 

Have you tried a wtb post here? That’s how I got mine but I took a while. Good luck with the search, it’s half the fun after all.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rtz-2541-80-00

Cheers
    Neil

Replace bezel and crystal on Omega 300m

Hi folks,
    I'm looking at a seamaster 300 m but the bezel is scuffed up and there's a chip out of the Crystal. How much ballpark would a new crystal and bezel be? Could I source them and have a watchmaker fit or would I be better off sending for Omega service and have them replace?
    Thanks,
    Kicmt
    I haven’t used them but these guys popped up in my Instagram feed the other day.

Looked at their prices and feedback and all looks good. Hatton Garden based.

Also - whilst the physical shop is shut they’re still doing servicing and repairs and they’ll send you a prepaid, insured to £25k RMSD envelope to send your watch in at no cost.

https://luxurywatchrepairs.com/

Thought of it because this was the watch featured in their ad....

Last edited by jfb1977; 11th April 2020 at 14:05.

Might be worth a look here....

www.swisslimitededitions.com

But hold fire if there’s stuff you want from there though, but perhaps let me know as I’m chatting with the owner John about getting a TZ discount code set up.....

Always buy the best condition you can.

Fixing up can cost more in the long run.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Do you mind me asking ballpark what you paid? The one I'm looking at is about 750 pounds. If I add another say 500 pounds to make it new it's about 1250
    I paid £1400 iirc and felt it was a fair price considering the exceptional condition and all the relevant bits and bobs.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Blog Entries

re

Have Omega authorised guy supply and fit new bezel, have GOOD QUALITY replacement crystal fitted elsewhere as is a straight forward fit.

Craftsman
    I paid £1400 iirc and felt it was a fair price considering the exceptional condition and all the relevant bits and bobs.

Cheers
    Neil
    Cool so I could probably leave the one I'm buying in similar condition for same money..if I lived with bezel then even less

The crystal chip is at 8

Master
    Crystal should be simple and the bezel doesn’t look bad- either live with the bezel but if you did change it I’m sure you’d recoup some of your outlay selling it
    You’ve prompted me to set mine and pop it on
    I hate to say a £600 ebay bargain a few years ago
    Spent a sleepless night awaiting its arrival as I purchased it off line- all turned out good and it’s a great watch
    SMP by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 12th April 2020 at 09:30.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    Might be worth a look here....

www.swisslimitededitions.com

But hold fire if there’s stuff you want from there though, but perhaps let me know as I’m chatting with the owner John about getting a TZ discount code set up.....
    I’ve never bought from Swisslimitededitions , the prices seem eye- watering to me and it’s cheaper to send a watch to an Omega accredited repairer to have a bezel fitted. TZ discount might change things somewhat, if prices for parts were more favourable I’d consider getting involved with SMPs etc again, I have the tools to get the bezel off, He valve out and swap the pendant tube, but the parts situation has put me off.

I wasn’t aware that a generic crystal was available, that’s worth knowing!

I agree with Neil’s comments about buying the best, the cost of sorting out a scruffy one is too high thesedays. Many of these watches have led a hard life, scruffy bezels, battered cases, chipped crystals and worn out bracelets are all too common.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice guys. Teetering on the edge of buying. Talked to Duncan in genisis yesterday and for about 700 pounds could leave the watch new..bezel crystal, battery, reseal, bracelet refurbish with new pins etc.. I could.buy the watch now and hold onto it for a while and do the refurbish in few months when things get back to some normal..the bezel is 280 so if I didn't do that would save a chunk of change. I'd be able.to better assess the watch once I'd have it in my hands if I could live with the bezel as is.

Master
    Sounds a good idea also the bezel would be an easy swap at a later date should you change your mind further down the line

Master
    Blog Entries
    Chaps with REGARDS a GOOD AM bezel, investment to produce a bezel insert with correct lume pip would be $700 odd, maybe I should produce.

Master
    Blog Entries

SMP AM Bezel

I reckon $100 - $120 to make a Smp bezel with 60 clicks. Maybe a fun group buy would ease the cost.

Mock up below.

Last edited by Bry1975; 18th April 2020 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    I reckon $100 - $120 to make a Smp bezel with 60 clicks. Maybe a fun group buy would ease the cost.

Mock up below.

I’d be in, a quality AM insert would be good too....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Bezel Insert complete manufacture investment is high $700, maybe can remove incorrect lume pip and fit correct steel cup with lume enclosed.

Mock up below.

Very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a big SMP fan... erm one NO vote on the fake bezel here. It’s bad enough when I see people selling fake inserts on these watches, seemingly with no idea.

Is a fake watch with a genuine dial ok? Why is a fake bezel on a genuine watch ok because it’s only one component?

Grand Master
    Chaps with REGARDS a GOOD AM bezel, investment to produce a bezel insert with correct lume pip would be $700 odd, maybe I should produce.
    If you could produce a replica that matches the quality and dimensions of the original there would definitely be a market. Swatch Group made the decision to restrict parts supply for Omega watches 5 years ago, a crazy decision in my view, thus creating a market for reproduction parts.

Sadly, most reproduced stuff is poor quality, although there are exceptions. If the bezel itself can be produced from the same material (316 Stainless) getting all the dimensions and facets exactly right I would be impressed. As for the inserts, the one I tried from Cousins a few years back fitted perfectly, the colour was very close, but the finish wasn`t anodised and the paint chipped very slightly when I fitted it. I wasn`t happy with it, so I didn't charge the owner and I gave him the option to refit his original faded/scratched insert. However, if an insert that matched the original properly, with anodised finish, was available I`d be happy to fit it provided the price was favourable and the owner was made fully aware.

The bezels were expensive at £200 in 2014, although Omega accredited repairers probably paid around half that price. Now they're hard to source the price is around £350.....IF you can get one.

Cousins now supply a reproduction clasp spring for both the 2254. 2581 and Moonwatch. I don`t know what the quality is like but they're not expensive, I'd be happy to try one now that 'genuine' Omega items aren't readily available.

There's a simple solution to all this.........Swatch Group revoke their stupid policy of restricting parts supply! I`m much happier using parts that come out of Omega packaging, it's not about trying to cut corners or save money or deceive watch owners.

As for 'originality', where do folks think the 'genuine' Omega replacements bracelets for 60s and 70s watches are produced?....... it's certainly not Switzerland!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok I can have upto 50 quotes for the bezel manufacture within 2 weeks.

It will be interesting to have a sample made just for fun really, BUT needs to be GOOD quality not rubbish,
    the 120 ratchet teeth will be challenging as that's usually stamped out with an expensive mold.
    Sample bezel will have ratchet teeth milled or 3d metal printed if print quality and precision good.
    Last edited by Bry1975; 13th April 2020 at 22:24.

Journeyman
    Last time I looked Cousin's had bezels listed at £369, they were previously around £250! The bezel and insert come as one piece. I haven't so far found another source at a better price. I had price last year from Omega for a PO bezel, £250 plus £140 service charge as they don't supply only.

I have also used swisstimeservices before for a crystal change who are an Omega Authorised repair centre and cheaper than Directly with Omega. You can get a quote online to compare.

Personally I would only use genuine parts on that watch despite the cost.

Otherjohn

Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Last time I looked Cousin's had bezels listed at £369, they were previously around £250! The bezel and insert come as one piece. I haven't so far found another source at a better price. I had price last year from Omega for a PO bezel, £250 plus £140 service charge as they don't supply only.

I have also used swisstimeservices before for a crystal change who are an Omega Authorised repair centre and cheaper than Directly with Omega. You can get a quote online to compare.

Personally I would only use genuine parts on that watch despite the cost.

Otherjohn
    I always find it weird that so many complain of the prices of trying to source these bits from anyone other than Omega. Of course they will be expensive if they are hard to source!

Why on earth would anyone use Cousins for a bezel? Send it to Omega, or an Omega accredited when a service is due: that is when it is time to add the 'add-ons' such as bezels and bracelets etc. The customer will not get charged 'labour/fitting fees' as part of a full service but will for part-jobs.

I had an SMP rebuilt at Omega a couple years back during a service... got a new case (including complete bezel assembly) + new bracelet. Both were at exchange prices.
    E.g. I could get the new bracelet and keep my old bracelet for £500, or they keep the old one and I get the new one for £250. A better deal than anywhere I could find online.
    I went with the exchange price option and they sent the old bracelet back anyway!

I'd take an authentic £250 bezel, fitted FOC by the manufacturer during service, all day long over a fake component. I don't care much for the term 'aftermarket', it is a counterfeit part, plain and simple, and it's presence on a genuine watch would void any chance of the manufacturer working on your watch without insisting it be replaced, if they'd work on it at all.

If you don't want the manufacturer to work on it, it has still become a partial frankenstein of a watch. The replica Rolex fanboy has just been crucified over in the other threads... why is a substantial fake component such as bezel deemed OK by some but a replica watch is not? I really do not see much difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, if an aftermarket crystal or bezel is fitted, the seller should declare them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    I don't care much for the term 'aftermarket', it is a counterfeit part, plain and simple
    Purely playing devils advocate here, but at what point does something stop becoming fake? Are the generic spring bars on my SMP also fake?

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Purely playing devils advocate here, but at what point does something stop becoming fake? Are the generic spring bars on my SMP also fake?
    I think that’s a poor analogy to be fair.

Spring bars are, as you say “generic“, because they serve a universal purpose and are interchangeable across any brand as long as the size/dimensions are correct. That said, what of the idiots who put shoulder-less spring bars in blind lug holes? Or steel spring bars in gold cases? There is still something to be said for a manufacturer fitting what they deem the correct spring bars.

A bezel design specific to a brand is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Yes, if an aftermarket crystal or bezel is fitted, the seller should declare them.
    Yes, and they always do don’t they...

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Dent99;5384059]I always find it weird that so many complain of the prices of trying to source these bits from anyone other than Omega. Of course they will be expensive if they are hard to source!

"Why on earth would anyone use Cousins for a bezel? Send it to Omega, or an Omega accredited when a service is due: that is when it is time to add the 'add-ons' such as bezels and bracelets etc. The customer will not get charged 'labour/fitting fees' as part of a full service but will for part-jobs"

My point is that a lot of people are more than capable of carrying out simple work on their own watches and many watch makers more than capable of working on a branded watch. Swatch Group's parts monopoly has pushed up the price of parts and has been very unfair to independent watchmakers.
    Last edited by Otherjohn; 15th April 2020 at 22:50. Reason: Grammar

[QUOTE=Otherjohn;5385786]
    I always find it weird that so many complain of the prices of trying to source these bits from anyone other than Omega. Of course they will be expensive if they are hard to source!

"Why on earth would anyone use Cousins for a bezel? Send it to Omega, or an Omega accredited when a service is due: that is when it is time to add the 'add-ons' such as bezels and bracelets etc. The customer will not get charged 'labour/fitting fees' as part of a full service but will for part-jobs"

My point is that a lot of people are more than capable of carrying out simple work on their own watches and many watch makers more than capable of working on a branded watch. Swatch Group's parts monopoly has pushed up the price of parts and has been very unfair to independent watchmakers.
    Yeah I’ve seen videos of people on YouTube popping off bezels on their own watches using a butter knife. No disrespect to actual watchmakers who do know what they are doing. The Swatch parts availability debate has been done to death.

MY point was that for all the complaining, the manufacturer actually offers the most cost effective option, and will even fit for FREE during a service. Nothing against independents whatsoever myself but the anti-Swatch servicing stance around here is tiresome.

No-one pitches a fit around here that Rolex make parts impossible to source, and it’s not a good enough excuse to put counterfeit parts on a watch IMO.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Dent99;5386177]
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post

Yeah I’ve seen videos of people on YouTube popping off bezels on their own watches using a butter knife. No disrespect to actual watchmakers who do know what they are doing. The Swatch parts availability debate has been done to death.

MY point was that for all the complaining, the manufacturer actually offers the most cost effective option, and will even fit for FREE during a service. Nothing against independents whatsoever myself but the anti-Swatch servicing stance around here is tiresome.

No-one pitches a fit around here that Rolex make parts impossible to source, and it’s not a good enough excuse to put counterfeit parts on a watch IMO.
    To be fair Rolex watches are mostly at a different price point to the OP's £600 Omega SMP.

As an example I recently sent my wife's Rolex Datejust to an Authorised Swiss watch service center (not Rolex) for a crystal change because I didn't want to pay £450 Plus cost of crystal for a service that wasn't required. She couldn't wait for service time to fix an ugly defect.

I'm in no way advocating aftermarket parts, but there are specialists and other ways to fix things other than AD's.

Craftsman
    I don't care much for the term 'aftermarket', it is a counterfeit part, plain and simple.
    Hmmm..... I'm not so sure. Just making idle conversation here but my understanding of counterfeit is something claiming to be something it's not. So if the replacement bezel had an Omega logo etched on it or the watch was later sold without a declaration then yes, perhaps. But otherwise surely it's just a replacement component part that's been made by a different manufacturer to the rest of the watch? Would an aftermarket exhaust on a Mercedes be described as counterfeit? Not usually, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Hmmm..... I'm not so sure. Just making idle conversation here but my understanding of counterfeit is something claiming to be something it's not. So if the replacement bezel had an Omega logo etched on it or the watch was later sold without a declaration then yes, perhaps. But otherwise surely it's just a replacement component part that's been made by a different manufacturer to the rest of the watch? Would an aftermarket exhaust on a Mercedes be described as counterfeit? Not usually, I don't think.
    The first hit on google for 'counterfeit' is: "made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud."

A proprietary design replicated by a non-authorised manufacturer, pretending to be something it is not, fits the bill.

Buy hey, whatever. Fit a fake bezel on Seamaster or Submariner. Send it to the manufacturer for any work and see what view they take.

Grand Master
    Buy hey, whatever. Fit a fake bezel on Seamaster or Submariner. Send it to the manufacturer for any work and see what view they take.
    Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic?

You've clearly got strong views on this, other people take a different view. Many people who own SMPs bought them back in the days when they were £1200 watches and parts were freely available. Any half-decent repairer could service these watches to a high standard and fit replacement parts as required. These owners didn`t sign up to paying the current extortionate prices charged by Swatch Group and they will be happy to pursue cheaper alternatives to maintain their watch in good condition. I`ve fixed plenty like this, I was happy, owners were happy, I`ve fitted replacement bezels, replacement bracelet parts, whatever the watch needed to get it looking smart again. I acquired the tools to remove the pendant tube and Helium valve, and a custom-made bezel remover to enable me to do everything required. Nowadays it's far more difficult because I can`t get the case parts at sensible prices any longer, I can service movements because the parts are still available but if I have to replace a bezel I'd be paying silly money and that's not in my interest or the owner. Sending a watch to an Omega accredited repairer for a job such as a bezel replacement will incur a standard handling/labour charge if done as a separate job, but they can get the parts at sensible prices so overall this ends up being cheaper, more so if they are also having the watch serviced at the same time.

To be clear, I refuse to fit crap to any watch and I`ve already stated my opinion on after-market bezel inserts. Similarly, Omega acrylic glasses can now be sourced, complete with the tiny symbol in the middle, but the quality is poor so I won't touch them. I keep an open mind on these things but I would always be totally up-front with an owner and make it clear that a part is after-market.

The Swatch Group restrictions on parts supply is bad news for the repair trade AND for watch owners, make no mistake about that. It could be argued that anyone who buys a new Omega and pays £4K is implicitly signing up to the service costs and should expect to pay a premium, but the guy who inherits his late father's 60s Constellation may take a different view!

^^ well said Paul and agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic?

You've clearly got strong views on this, other people take a different view. Many people who own SMPs bought them back in the days when they were £1200 watches and parts were freely available. Any half-decent repairer could service these watches to a high standard and fit replacement parts as required. These owners didn`t sign up to paying the current extortionate prices charged by Swatch Group and they will be happy to pursue cheaper alternatives to maintain their watch in good condition. I`ve fixed plenty like this, I was happy, owners were happy, I`ve fitted replacement bezels, replacement bracelet parts, whatever the watch needed to get it looking smart again. I acquired the tools to remove the pendant tube and Helium valve, and a custom-made bezel remover to enable me to do everything required. Nowadays it's far more difficult because I can`t get the case parts at sensible prices any longer, I can service movements because the parts are still available but if I have to replace a bezel I'd be paying silly money and that's not in my interest or the owner. Sending a watch to an Omega accredited repairer for a job such as a bezel replacement will incur a standard handling/labour charge if done as a separate job, but they can get the parts at sensible prices so overall this ends up being cheaper, more so if they are also having the watch serviced at the same time.

To be clear, I refuse to fit crap to any watch and I`ve already stated my opinion on after-market bezel inserts. Similarly, Omega acrylic glasses can now be sourced, complete with the tiny symbol in the middle, but the quality is poor so I won't touch them. I keep an open mind on these things but I would always be totally up-front with an owner and make it clear that a part is after-market.

The Swatch Group restrictions on parts supply is bad news for the repair trade AND for watch owners, make no mistake about that. It could be argued that anyone who buys a new Omega and pays £4K is implicitly signing up to the service costs and should expect to pay a premium, but the guy who inherits his late father's 60s Constellation may take a different view!
    My SMP was £800 new. Does that make my point more or less valid?

I'm not sure what is dramatic about not advocating counterfeit/non-original parts on watches.

Regarding the supply of Swatch Group parts... that ship has sailed so is something of a moot point. I am not making comment on the abilities of competent/skilled independent watchmakers who have been adversely affected.

The conversation was about the expense of authentic replacement bezels and I have pointed out they are cheapest from the manufacturer/an accredited, which really ought to be the case?
    Last edited by Dent99; 18th April 2020 at 12:57.