closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Air traffic over the Uk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nobody has suggested any incompetence?
    Absolutely....there is no way of knowing how much damage your aircraft is going to receive by colliding with another in flight.

Pilot error/stupidity

Master

Air traffic over the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    This incident demonstrates a lack of competence in addition to being unsafe [/I][/INDENT]
    What they needed was the fuel dump and burn feature from the F111.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    ...as it's over the Black Sea:
    Two Russian Su-27 aircraft conducted an unsafe and unprofessional intercept with a U.S. Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance unmanned MQ-9 aircraft that was operating within international airspace over the Black Sea today.

At approximately 7:03 AM (CET), one of the Russian Su-27 aircraft struck the propeller of the MQ-9, causing U.S. forces to have to bring the MQ-9 down in international waters. Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner. This incident demonstrates a lack of competence in addition to being unsafe and unprofessional.

“Our MQ-9 aircraft was conducting routine operations in international airspace when it was intercepted and hit by a Russian aircraft, resulting in a crash and complete loss of the MQ-9,” said U.S. Air Force Gen. James B. Hecker, commander, U.S. Air Forces Europe and Air Forces Africa. “In fact, this unsafe and unprofessional act by the Russians nearly caused both aircraft to crash.”

“U.S. and Allied aircraft will continue to operate in international airspace and we call on the Russians to conduct themselves professionally and safely,” Hecker added...
    Good luck with that!

NHS trial: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-03-15.

[Turn off 'History' (-) to revert to normal use.]

A flight of US Black Hawks: https://globe.adsbexch.ange.com/?ica...ace=2023-03-15

Do they often do this?

Edit: Apparently Cameron Barracks is to be a helicopter base for Exercise Joint Warrior 23-1.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th March 2023 at 15:34.

B52 returning to Spain over the UK having been up to Estonia: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5891

For all you avgeeks, I can thoroughly recommend the latest self made ferry pilot documentary, from Nomadic Aviation. These two episodes feature ferrying a LATAM 767 from Santiago, Chile for cargo conversion in Singapore. Reaching the antarctic ice pack at 65 degrees south and flying without ETOPS. A really excellent series, and other documentaries make good viewing too.

https://youtu.be/4wotBAGZRhk

https://youtu.be/2S_1x-6cPaU

Air traffic over the Uk

Eurofighter Typhoon 4 heading NE over Milton Keynes on FR24 at the moment.

Master
    Just saw two F35's, I think, go right over my head 14.15 with gear down, so maybe landing at RAF Wattisham.
    The noise was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Just saw two F35's, I think, go right over my head 14.15 with gear down, so maybe landing at RAF Wattisham.
    The noise was incredible.
    Don’t the F35s live at Marham?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Don’t the F35s live at Marham?
    It may or may not be relevant but AAC Wattisham has "Dummy deck markings on the Runway 23"...pdf link.

Then maybe they were practising SVTOL deck landings…? 🤷*♂️

Master
    Mate at work took a video on phone at very low altitude over Monks Leigh, about 10 miles from Wattisham

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Mate at work took a video on phone at very low altitude over Monks Leigh, about 10 miles from Wattisham
    See also:

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    For all you avgeeks, I can thoroughly recommend the latest self made ferry pilot documentary, from Nomadic Aviation. These two episodes feature ferrying a LATAM 767 from Santiago, Chile for cargo conversion in Singapore. Reaching the antarctic ice pack at 65 degrees south and flying without ETOPS. A really excellent series, and other documentaries make good viewing too.

https://youtu.be/4wotBAGZRhk

https://youtu.be/2S_1x-6cPaU
    Thanks for that - found my self really enjoying it

Air traffic over the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Thanks for that - found my self really enjoying it
    If you enjoyed that, their back episodes are excellent too. Especially the episodes when they where ferrying planes around the world during Covid having to get to the planes in the first instance.

Some parked up in the desert of Australia and ferry them the other other side of the world with Covid restrictions

A bit of an unusual USAF aircraft: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-20

This is a WC-135R Constant Phoenix, an older aircraft refitted 'to collect samples from the atmosphere for the purpose of detecting and identifying nuclear explosions'.

Today it looks as thought it's exercising refuelling, but a few ways ago it was off to somewhere north of Russia: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-17

Air traffic over the Uk

Constant phoenix and an RAF A400m over south west London this morning

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boei...hoenix#/search
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th April 2023 at 07:37.

A bit of an unusual USAF aircraft: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-20

This is a WC-135R Constant Phoenix, an older aircraft refitted 'to collect samples from the atmosphere for the purpose of detecting and identifying nuclear explosions'.

Today it looks as thought it's exercising refuelling, but a few ways ago it was off to somewhere north of Russia: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Constant phoenix and an RAF A400m over south west London this morning

...image...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boei...hoenix#/search

It seems that this Constant Phoenix is doing a bit of a world tour, having ended up at Al Udeid Air Base today: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-24

It is the first of three KC-135R Stratotankers to be converted for this role, the second being: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-18

Master
    A shedload of stuff up there (Norfolk, Suffolk and North Sea) this afternoon. Even the B of B Lancaster! At least 4 in a line at 100ft (ish) at one point! The guys are definitely keeping busy and earning their crusts this week!

Air traffic over the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    A shedload of stuff up there (Norfolk, Suffolk and North Sea) this afternoon. Even the B of B Lancaster! At least 4 in a line at 100ft (ish) at one point! The guys are definitely keeping busy and earning their crusts this week!

Yep not sure what all the RAF transports are doing in trail.

2 usaf stratotankers up as well.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th April 2023 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Yep not sure what all the RAF transports are doing in trail.

2 usaf stratotankers up as well.
    Prep for upcoming Coronation, I imagine.

Rehearsal...adsb link.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Yep, I guess it would be
    Pickle Bs link shows it better than flight radar .
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th April 2023 at 14:37.

Master
    Very "green"! :)

Master
    No Flightradar due to power outage in Sweden ????? Uh oh?

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Australian Army drone (at least that is what I assume) at Tidworth: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-24

It has been operating there for a few days.

Master
    Australian Army drone (at least that is what I assume) at Tidworth: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-04-24

It has been operating there for a few days.
    Probably to do with training Ukrainian forces.

If anyone in the SE is wondering why there are so many microlights / autogyros in the air (I was), it's my guess that they are off to the Trade Fair at Popham.

Just heard over the house: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406050

Spitfire TE517 has been around a bit and only recently restored to flight as G-RYIX:

Hawker Hunters return from Germany https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c925,43c853

Transport Command have their contingent in the air: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-05-06

Craftsman
    8 Eurofighters just taken off and look to be going to meet a group of hercs and tankers over the North Sea.

Craftsman
    The Eurofighters just disappeared off the radar, I guess they have switched off their trackers

Master
    A group of helicopters over NW London now! 14:36 and Redarro6.

The red arrows flew over my roof approx 40 seconds after crossing the palace, the choppers routed just to the north didn’t see any of them.

Found a perfect pitch at the Olympic village, the helicopter fleet and Red Arrows flew directly overhead, imagine my disappointment at the rest of the show being cancelled ..... Bloody English weather..

Found a perfect pitch at the Olympic village, the helicopter fleet and Red Arrows flew directly overhead, imagine my disappointment at the rest of the show being cancelled ..... Bloody English weather..
    Surprised they cancelled due to weather. Surely a modern A400M or Globe master can fly in a bit of rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Surprised they cancelled due to weather. Surely a modern A400M or Globe master can fly in a bit of rain?
    Of course, they can.

But I suspect that they didn’t want them blatting over Central London at 500ft.

Of course, they can.

But I suspect that they didn’t want them blatting over Central London at 500ft.
    So they risked helicopters that clearly aren’t as capable?

Master

They can stop you know. 😉
    The Red Arrows will be experienced in flying formation in low visibility in formation.
    I would guess given the timings were all worked out with the BBMF (who wouldn’t be able to fly in those conditions) and they were in the middle of the formation, that their cancelling caused the rest to have to cancel, as there wouldn’t probably have been a rehearsal without the BBMF.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    They can stop you know. 
    The Red Arrows will be experienced in flying formation in low visibility in formation.
    I would guess given the timings were all worked out with the BBMF (who wouldn’t be able to fly in those conditions) and they were in the middle of the formation, that their cancelling caused the rest to have to cancel, as there wouldn’t probably have been a rehearsal without the BBMF.
    Not once they're falling. Yes that explanation makes sense.

Not once they're falling. Yes that explanation makes sense.
    They don't fall mate, they are pretty safe and well maintained!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

“Clearly aren’t as capable”??!? Capable at what, exactly??

A decreasing cloudbase might have been above the display limits for the first few ‘waves’ but then dropped below limits for the rest.

All of the aircraft concerned would be perfectly capable of flying in cloud. But I suspect that they wouldn’t want to try to maintain formation whilst in that cloud.

“Clearly aren’t as capable”??!? Capable at what, exactly??

A decreasing cloudbase might have been above the display limits for the first few ‘waves’ but then dropped below limits for the rest.

All of the aircraft concerned would be perfectly capable of flying in cloud. But I suspect that they wouldn’t want to try to maintain formation whilst in that cloud.
    Its quite simple, this was my first post…….Surprised they cancelled due to weather. Surely a modern A400M or Globe master can fly in a bit of rain?

Your reply…….Of course, they can, but I suspect that they didn’t want them blatting over Central London at 500ft.

My reply to you……

My first post was specific about the A400M and Globe Masters, I hadn’t considered the Battle of Britain. If they didn't want a capable aircraft ‘blatting’ over London why risk 9 red arrows in close formation and a load of helicopters?

However the subsequent posters reply made sense where he suspected the BBMF would struggle so they all pulled out. His response made perfect sense…yours didnt
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 7th May 2023 at 07:55.

I was intrigued why you might think that the helicopters are in some way ‘less capable’ than the fixed wing aircraft. 🤷*♂️

There would have been a minimum cloudbase set for the fly past. I wasn’t keeping a close eye on it at the time (I was busy elsewhere) but I suspect that the cloudbase was high enough for the first part of the fly past. The cloudbase then reduced below limits so the rest of the fly past was cancelled.

The aircraft in question are all perfectly capable of flying over London at less than 500ft (Low level flying is what they spend lots of their time training for). However, the CAA (and other government bodies) wouldn’t have permitted it.

I was intrigued why you might think that the helicopters are in some way ‘less capable’ than the fixed wing aircraft. 路*♂️

There would have been a minimum cloudbase set for the fly past. I wasn’t keeping a close eye on it at the time (I was busy elsewhere) but I suspect that the cloudbase was high enough for the first part of the fly past. The cloudbase then reduced below limits so the rest of the fly past was cancelled.

The aircraft in question are all perfectly capable of flying over London at less than 500ft (Low level flying is what they spend lots of their time training for). However, the CAA (and other government bodies) wouldn’t have permitted it.
    I understand, cheers but my point was that if it had to be pulled because of weather conditions why were helicopter's and 9 aircraft flying in close formation cleared to continue. It made little sense.

This might help:

“Each formation element will fly over Buckingham Palace at 15/30 second intervals and there is no opportunity for a delay, if for whatever reason WINDSOR formation cannot make their ToT the flypast will be cancelled. However, if the weather precludes a full flypast, certain elements will be removed, and a smaller flypast will occur. Details of this ‘weather strip-out’ have been briefed to all relevant parties by means of the Op Order and face-to-face briefs and are not included in this ACN”

…and…

“Heli-med activity shall avoid all elements of the flypast by 500ft MSD assuming the task is not beneath the flypast aircraft. If the task (for the purpose of saving life) happens to be below the flypast, heli-med aircraft shall attend but fly below 500’ AGL in accordance with taking off and landing rules. Over Central London, this will ensure a 500ft MSD buffer is maintained between the heli-med aircraft and WINDSOR formation. The heli-med crews are to be aware of the risk of turbulence as the flypast traffic passes overhead.”

(My bold).

Seeing that the BBMF Lancaster was out and about over the Netherlands: ADS-B link

...led me to: Remembering Dambuster Les Knight DSO and so to their post Lancaster Fly Past.
    Not sure where they are off to today: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao...ace=2023-05-07