closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Air traffic over the Uk

Master
    A lot of military over the North Sea around Norfolk today. (Stratotankers and un-named)
    Last edited by tixntox; 3rd February 2021 at 12:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Closest any aircraft can fly to structures (generally) is 500ft...which isn’t very high when it’s a fast jet. There are obviously occasions when the 500ft is permitted to be broken but military planes on training sorties is not one of them.
    Depends if they know where they are, we were regularly told by airtragic to fly NOT ABOVE 200ft agl when transiting some areas to avoid other traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Flying again today...out of Boscombe Down...and in a bit of a hurry at 600+ knots in places.
    In the air up north...https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c925...showing as callsign SMZ34 with reg XE688 rather then PP-XHH as before.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th February 2021 at 14:21.

In the air up north...https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c925...showing as callsign SMZ34 with reg XE688 rather then PP-XHH as before.
    It seems to be based at RAF Leeming now.

Did anyone hear the Sonic boom over north Cornwall and Devon?

Residents in the Bude area in Cornwall started saying on social media at about 12:15 GMT that they heard "a big bang", an "explosion" or "rumblings".

The noise was heard more than 14 miles (23km) away in Bradworthy, Devon, with people saying buildings shook and one thinking "it was an earthquake".

The RAF said it was caused by F-35 Lightning aircraft training about 25 miles (40km) offshore...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did anyone hear the Sonic boom over north Cornwall and Devon?

Residents in the Bude area in Cornwall started saying on social media at about 12:15 GMT that they heard "a big bang", an "explosion" or "rumblings".

The noise was heard more than 14 miles (23km) away in Bradworthy, Devon, with people saying buildings shook and one thinking "it was an earthquake".

The RAF said it was caused by F-35 Lightning aircraft training about 25 miles (40km) offshore...
    It was the sound of the RAF punching the air over the pension announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It was the sound of the RAF punching the air over the pension announcement.
    Flying up through the McClouds?
    Last edited by Christian; 10th February 2021 at 21:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Flying up through the McClouds?
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Yup
    Good news indeed...looking forward to getting what I was promised when I signed up...thank you firemen and judges!

Bit of an unusual one...Aero L-39 Albatros...https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=4078b9.

However, it is likely to be seen again as it is owned by L39 Aviation operating out of Blackpool Airport.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Good news indeed...looking forward to getting what I was promised when I signed up...thank you firemen and judges!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Ignore, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Coastguard plane searching for missing fishing boat at the moment off Conwy. Lets hope they can find them.

Life Raft...recovered:

The life raft for fishing vessel Nicola Faith which went missing off the coast of Colwyn Bay on 27th January has been recovered. The raft was found off the coast of Kirkcudbrightshire by HM Coastguard and has been positively identified by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch as being from the Nicola Faith. The raft will be transported to the MAIB in Southampton for further investigation and analysis.

The investigation into the causes and circumstances surrounding the vessel’s loss is ongoing. The search for the vessel which is being co-ordinated by the MAIB is continuing. MAIB has been working with underwater search experts to cover a wide area including all of the vessel’s historic operating area.

The next of kin have been informed of this development.

I presume this is Phil the Greeks lift back home to Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    ...image...

I presume this is Phil the Greeks lift back home to Norfolk.
    Maybe not...see Duke of Edinburgh leaves hospital after a month for "The duke has now returned to Windsor Castle."

This morning's track (https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406f2b) shows them landing nearby the Holtsmere End Junior School , Hemel Hempstead. and so this may be a transfer to University College Hospital or one of other hospitals in that area of London.

Edit Now heading back to the East Anglian Air Ambulance base at Cambridge City Airport.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th March 2021 at 12:21.

Life Raft...recovered:

The life raft for fishing vessel Nicola Faith which went missing off the coast of Colwyn Bay on 27th January has been recovered. The raft was found off the coast of Kirkcudbrightshire by HM Coastguard and has been positively identified by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch as being from the Nicola Faith. The raft will be transported to the MAIB in Southampton for further investigation and analysis.

The investigation into the causes and circumstances surrounding the vessel’s loss is ongoing. The search for the vessel which is being co-ordinated by the MAIB is continuing. MAIB has been working with underwater search experts to cover a wide area including all of the vessel’s historic operating area.

The next of kin have been informed of this development.
    They are still looking for the wreck...Search extended:

The MAIB will extend the search for the fishing vessel Nicola Faith, which went missing off the coast of Colwyn Bay on 27 January. Although three bodies have been recently found, which are thought to be the crew of Nicola Faith, the MAIB is keen to find the wreck to understand the causes and circumstances of the sinking.

With poor weather forecast in the coming days, additional search assets with enhanced capability will be deployed over the weekend, with plans to continue once the weather improves. In addition, the search area planned to be covered has been expanded...

There's a government drone over the white cliffs of Dover
    (or thereabouts)

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=407918

There's a government drone over the white cliffs of Dover
    (or thereabouts)

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=407918
    That one has reappeared after a short absence. First seen in late 2019...link.

That one has reappeared after a short absence. First seen in late 2019...link.
    Yes, it's the start of the spring migration.

Not a plane and not in the UK but not worth it's own thread - a bit of a problem:

EVER GIVEN Current position (Container Ship, IMO 9811000) - VesselFinder

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Not a plane and not in the UK but not worth it's own thread - a bit of a problem:

EVER GIVEN Current position (Container Ship, IMO 9811000) - VesselFinder
    Woops...link.

That reminds me of this...link.

It looks as though HMCG are exercising with a drone at Caernarfon...https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=407951.

Anyone near Barnstable? I think that you don't often see the Boeing E-3A Sentry on that side of the country: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=4d03d0

They are still looking for the wreck...Search extended:

The MAIB will extend the search for the fishing vessel Nicola Faith, which went missing off the coast of Colwyn Bay on 27 January. Although three bodies have been recently found, which are thought to be the crew of Nicola Faith, the MAIB is keen to find the wreck to understand the causes and circumstances of the sinking.

With poor weather forecast in the coming days, additional search assets with enhanced capability will be deployed over the weekend, with plans to continue once the weather improves. In addition, the search area planned to be covered has been expanded...
    And still looking...Investigation updates: fishing vessel Nicola Faith:

Statement from MAIB:

• We are delighted that the Welsh Government Fisheries Patrol Vessel, Rhodri Morgan, is today joining the search for the missing fishing vessel the Nicola Faith.

• The Rhodri Morgan will be mobilised with a towable multi-pulse side scan sonar. We are extremely grateful to the crew and technicians onboard for their collaboration.

• In addition, mounted on a second vessel, Natural Resource Wales are also operating a high definition side scan sonar which has been used by the MAIB for a number of days.

• MAIB remains focused on getting answers for the families and learning what went wrong so that steps can be taken to prevent this happening again.

U2 over Liverpool @ 51,000 ft.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae094f

U2 over Liverpool @ 51,000 ft.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae094f
    Every time I hear these planes mentioned I marvel at them still actively flying. Somewhat serendipitously I caught this heads up whilst it was only a few minutes away on a direct track to go overhead our garden. Unfortunately though, it subsequently turned off to make a more leisurely and scenic approach into Fairford. I'd love to see one in the metal, especially airbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Every time I hear these planes mentioned I marvel at them still actively flying. Somewhat serendipitously I caught this heads up whilst it was only a few minutes away on a direct track to go overhead our garden. Unfortunately though, it subsequently turned off to make a more leisurely and scenic approach into Fairford. I'd love to see one in the metal, especially airbourne.
    Get yourself to RIAT next summer.

And...found:

Notice of direction to prohibit access issued

A sunken vessel deemed to be of significant interest has been located in the Colwyn Bay area by an MAIB commissioned vessel searching for missing the fishing vessel Nicola Faith.

MAIB DIRECTION No 1/2021

WRECK OF UNIDENTIFIED VESSEL 53° 20.019’N - 003° 41.876’W

Under the powers contained in:

Regulation 10(6) of the Merchant Shipping (Accident Reporting and Investigation) Regulations 2012 (S.I. 2012/1743)

and

Section 259(2)(d) of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995

the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) hereby PROHIBITS access to and/or interference with the wreck of the Unidentified Vessel in the position stated, or its equipment and GIVES DIRECTION requiring that the same shall be left undisturbed until further notice, pending investigation by the MAIB.

Specifically prohibited are: anchoring in the vicinity of the wreck, fishing by nets, trawls or lines in the vicinity of the wreck, and any diving operations on the wreck or its outlying gear. For the purposes of this direction, the vicinity of the wreck shall be taken to be a circle, radius 200 metres, centred on the wreck’s location.

Two high-altitude US drones in the vicinity of Ukraine overnight.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae54b6

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae540e

To put a slightly different angle on things :

EasyJet recently recommenced flights between Bristol and Inverness. Pre-Covid it may have operated up to ten flights per week, but its presently operating two.
    They are utilising their 320 Neos, with approx 180 seats.
    So far, the average number of passengers per flight is 35.

More US drone action over the Black Sea https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae540e

More US drone action over the Black Sea https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae540e
    A staggering build up of Russian assets now, must make these sorties pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    A staggering build up of Russian assets now, must make these sorties pretty interesting.
    Shades of Cuba 1963?

Gloster Meteor on the move: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406c65 Appears to be the one owned by Martin-Baker.
    G-JWMA is one the move again: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406c65.

Edit And again today.
    Last edited by PickleB; 22nd April 2021 at 09:45.

U2 went over work this morning.
    Anyone know where it was heading/coming from?
    I’m about 10 miles from Fairford at about 08:45 this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Anyone know where it was heading/coming from?
    Fairford to Ukraine (and back again), I imagine.

A touch embarrassing but it shouldn't take too long to repair...link.

A touch embarrassing but it shouldn't take too long to repair...link.
    I am pretty sure there will be an engineering unit on their way first thing. It’s only PSP. They will sort it in a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am pretty sure there will be an engineering unit on their way first thing. It’s only PSP. They will sort it in a weekend.
    Yes didn't look very solid. What is PSP?

Yes didn't look very solid. What is PSP?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Thanks.

G-JWMA is one the move again: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406c65.

Edit And again today.
    And now I know why it was up at Lossie: Twitter link:

The Martin Baker owned, 72 year old Meteor has been flying out of Lossie over the past couple of weeks whilst the team have been live testing their ejection seats!!

They do use a dummy for the test!

FlightRadar24 is showing G-TEKV over the Dover Strait at the moment.
    And today it is G-TEKR...same model, same owner, later registration, serial number +2.

Afternoon update: And now G-HMGB (a Beechcraft 200 Super King Air) has taken over.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th May 2021 at 13:23.

Craftsman
    And now I know why it was up at Lossie: Twitter link:

The Martin Baker owned, 72 year old Meteor has been flying out of Lossie over the past couple of weeks whilst the team have been live testing their ejection seats!!

I think the preferred testing location is usually central France which currently isn't an option, hence the Lossie option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I think the preferred testing location is usually central France which currently isn't an option, hence the Lossie option.
    I really don't know where they do most of their testing, but this one caught my eye and is at Chalgrove Airfield in Oxfordshire:

See also this article and Martin-Baker Live Ejections on YouTube.

Edit See M-B Capabilities for "Chalgrove Airfield: Meteor – Over 800 airborne ejection tests from 2 specially modified aircraft"

Update See WikiLink for:

The Martin-Baker company uses its own airfield, Chalgrove Airfield, in Oxfordshire for operational testing of ejection seats. In 2016, ejection tests were carried out at Cazaux Air Base; the company's Meteor aircraft testbeds were flown from Chalgrove to France for them.

Two Gloster Meteor T.7 aircraft, WL419 and WA638, remain in service with the company as flying testbeds. Another Meteor (WA634), used in early development of ejection seats, is retained at the RAF Museum at RAF Cosford.

M-B may well have been back to Cazaux since 2016.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th May 2021 at 15:07.

I wonder when...and if...we'll be seeing the Aerion AS2?

My brother used to work with ejectees, I gather it’s not something you would want to be doing.

Further to #328 and previous post, the MAIB are going to raise the Nicola Faith. See link for:

Since locating and identifying Nicola Faith in April, the MAIB has gathered and analysed dive survey data from the vessel. We now intend to raise the vessel so that an in-depth examination and stability analysis can be carried out.

The vessel will be raised using a specially designed barge crane that has been chartered by MAIB. The operation will be undertaken when weather and tidal conditions are suitable. It will then be taken ashore to a secure location for further examination before being prepared for a stability assessment.

The Chief Inspector’s notice to prohibit access to the wreck remains in place. The families of the crew members have been notified of the plans.