closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 551 to 594 of 594

Thread: Air traffic over the Uk

  1. #551
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    3,380
    Went to one of our supported sites this afternoon in Middlesbrough. Getting back in the car when I heard this go over. Great call sign. 62 years old (the plane, not me)



    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  2. #552
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Went to one of our supported sites this afternoon in Middlesbrough. Getting back in the car when I heard this go over. Great call sign. 62 years old (the plane, not me)

    ...
    On the move again today: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae587c

  3. #553
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,521
    Blog Entries
    1
    B52 in the air! https://www.flightradar24.com/SPICY41/2d786f21



    ^^^ Oh, must pay more attention at the back!
    Last edited by hogthrob; 15th September 2022 at 09:10.

  4. #554
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    B52 in the air! https://www.flightradar24.com/SPICY41/2d786f21

    ^^^ Oh, must pay more attention at the back!
    Coming back this evening and may be passing over north London.

  5. #555
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Coming back this evening and may be passing over north London.
    Bu99er missed it
    It went straight over my house!

  6. #556
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,614
    Spotted one of these, perhaps even this particular example, a few days ago whilst out walking. It was high up and seemed to be in some kind of irregular holding pattern over the Cotswolds area. Even at a considerable distance both the sound and the shape were very distinctive. A truly mesmerising (and potentially awesome) spectacle.

    eta: Just found this recent news item - https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...ergency-alert/

  7. #557
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Spotted one of these, perhaps even this particular example, a few days ago whilst out walking. It was high up and seemed to be in some kind of irregular holding pattern over the Cotswolds area. Even at a considerable distance both the sound and the shape were very distinctive. A truly mesmerising (and potentially awesome) spectacle.

    eta: Just found this recent news item - https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...ergency-alert/

    Went over my workshop and scared the crap out of me.

  8. #558

  9. #559

    Air traffic over the Uk

    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Looks like it. He is coming a bit early as it is a long queue and he needs to collect his yellow wristband.

    Edit : picture in FR24 is different than AF1, so looks like it isnít

    It is this;

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th September 2022 at 18:58.

  10. #560
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,863
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Looks like it. He is coming a bit early as it is a long queue and he needs to collect his yellow wristband.

    Edit : picture in FR24 is different than AF1, so looks like it isnít

    It is this;

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4
    It would make sense to send out an E-4 before his arrival so as to be available locally if needed.

  11. #561
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It would make sense to send out an E-4 before his arrival so as to be available locally if needed.
    Thereís an E4 on the way, due into Mildenhall

    Malc

  12. #562
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    No callsign on this one: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfdf8


    ...but it landed at the right time, see: https://factba.se/biden/calendar, ie landing at 17h00 EST 22h00 BST.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th September 2022 at 22:04.

  13. #563
    All flights landing in LHR are being routed away from Central London as shown on FR24.

    Now being routed south over Greenwich, Lewisham and Wandsworth, before hanging a right and then a left into LHR

  14. #564
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    All flights landing in LHR are being routed away from Central London as shown on FR24.

    Now being routed south over Greenwich, Lewisham and Wandsworth, before hanging a right and then a left into LHR
    They did this when they flew her down from Scotland.

  15. #565

    Tanker on racetrack

    TARTN15 (Flightradar24) must be getting dizzy by now!

  16. #566
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    TARTN15 (Flightradar24) must be getting dizzy by now!
    They're on their way back to Brize to unwind.

  17. #567
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,273
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    They're on their way back to Brize to unwind.
    What is that aircraft ? A tanker , if so for what?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  18. #568
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    TARTN15 (Flightradar24) must be getting dizzy by now!
    Watching out for the Ruskies trying to do a Pearl harbour?

  19. #569
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    What is that aircraft ? A tanker , if so for what?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    ZZ334 is an Airbus A330 MRTT tanker that the RAF call the Voyager. It looks as though they spent the afternoon over East Anglia:



    Quite why, I do not know. They frequently refuel aircraft in that area but generally over the North Sea. They may have been actively engaged in refuelling or simply on standby to top up a VIP flight (I suppose). Maybe someone else spotted another aircraft in a similar pattern earlier today?

    It doesn't seem to have refuelled AF1 returning to the US: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfdf8 (and that would be unusual in any case).

  20. #570
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,273
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    ZZ334 is an Airbus A330 MRTT tanker that the RAF call the Voyager. It looks as though they spent the afternoon over East Anglia:



    Quite why, I do not know. They frequently refuel aircraft in that area but generally over the North Sea. They may have been actively engaged in refuelling or simply on standby to top up a VIP flight (I suppose). Maybe someone else spotted another aircraft in a similar pattern earlier today?

    It doesn't seem to have refuelled AF1 returning to the US: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfdf8 (and that would be unusual in any case).

    Many thanks PickleB

  21. #571
    Master andymonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Peterborough UK
    Posts
    1,001

    Air traffic over the Uk

    Been following TARTN15 on Flightradar24 as itís been rumbling over me all day. Must be so boring for the crew.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andymonkey; 19th September 2022 at 18:35.

  22. #572
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    Been following TARTN15 on Flightradar24 as it’s been rumbling over me all day. Must be so boring for the crew


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe it was up there topping up RAF interceptor aircraft and keeping them in the air during today's ceremonial, rather than having them on standby to scramble?

    Edit: Just seen the previous post that bears this out.

  23. #573
    KRH645 on FR24.

    Is that Lizzie Truss on her way to New York for meetings at UN?

  24. #574
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    ZZ334 is an Airbus A330 MRTT tanker that the RAF call the Voyager. It looks as though they spent the afternoon over East Anglia:


    Quite why, I do not know. They frequently refuel aircraft in that area but generally over the North Sea. They may have been actively engaged in refuelling or simply on standby to top up a VIP flight (I suppose). Maybe someone else spotted another aircraft in a similar pattern earlier today?

    It doesn't seem to have refuelled AF1 returning to the US: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfdf8 (and that would be unusual in any case).
    It canít refuel the VC25, the Voyagers are set up for probe and drogue-type refuelling, not the flying boom the USAF use.
    Iím sure there have been a lot of supporting aircraft that are removed from ADS-B data today.

  25. #575
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    KRH645 on FR24.

    Is that Lizzie Truss on her way to New York for meetings at UN?
    With that Sparrowhawk callsign...quite probably: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=407a3f

    I have been able to find a couple of flights today from their callsign but it would help (in the absence of a direct link) to know the ICAO identification for the aircraft in question. In this case it is 407A3F. Thanks...

  26. #576
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    KRH645 on FR24.

    Is that Lizzie Truss on her way to New York for meetings at UN?
    It would seem that G-GBNI is similar to G-XATW...see link. They are owned by Titan Airways and on an exclusive lease to HMG (WikiLink), having been painted up for the purpose...link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 20th September 2022 at 00:59.

  27. #577
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,863
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    It canít refuel the VC25, the Voyagers are set up for probe and drogue-type refuelling, not the flying boom the USAF use.
    This is in my opinion a bizarre example of cheaping out. Why? Because (a) an increasing number of UK military aircraft only have flying boom refuelling receptacles (all aircraft that might realistically benefit from in flight refuelling) and (b) the MRTT was explicitly designed to have flying boom capability.

    I reminds me of the non-sensical choice decision to delete the canon from British Typhoons. A decision which was reversed later, at additional cost of course.

  28. #578
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This is in my opinion a bizarre example of cheaping out. Why? Because (a) an increasing number of UK military aircraft only have flying boom refuelling receptacles (all aircraft that might realistically benefit from in flight refuelling) and (b) the MRTT was explicitly designed to have flying boom capability.
    I disagree, given that when the Voyagers were ordered we had no aircraft that needed flying boom refuelling. Our E-3s were fitted for probe and drogue and it is only a limited fleet of aircraft (RC-135, P-8 and E-7) that do need flying boom.
    Realistically only the E-7 and RC-135 likely to actually need the added endurance. Given the close links with the USAF and their support with Mildenhall-based tankers it doesnít make much impact.

  29. #579
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I disagree, given that when the Voyagers were ordered we had no aircraft that needed flying boom refuelling. Our E-3s were fitted for probe and drogue and it is only a limited fleet of aircraft (RC-135, P-8 and E-7) that do need flying boom.
    Realistically only the E-7 and RC-135 likely to actually need the added endurance. Given the close links with the USAF and their support with Mildenhall-based tankers it doesnít make much impact.
    Agreed, probe and drogue also has the benefit of being able to refuel more than one aircraft at a time and there is redundancy in the event of failure.
    It should be noted that the US Navy also use P&D over boom. (Largely for reasons of aircraft size) the same can be said for the majority of NATO countries that offer refuelling, the US are the outlier.

  30. #580
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,614
    P&D vs flying boom.

    Can anyone pass comment on the differences (advantages/drawbacks) between the two systems from a user/operator perspective?

    (Over and above those noted by Sinnlover.)

  31. #581
    This bugger just went over my house at 1000'!



    I'm used to commercial traffic flying over into BHX, but this sounded different, so I had time to grab my camera. Just.

    Southampton to Wellesbourne! Wellesbourne isn't a long runway, I don't think - it's more used to Cessna 152s!


  32. #582
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    P&D vs flying boom.

    Can anyone pass comment on the differences (advantages/drawbacks) between the two systems from a user/operator perspective?

    (Over and above those noted by Sinnlover.)
    That the the risk of being a boring s0d (yes I know I am one)
    Boom has the following benefits:
    Quicker fuel transfer so better for larger aircraft.
    Less pressure on the receiver pilot as the boom operator ‘flies’ the boom in to the receiving aircraft when it is formation, so it’s more of a team effort. - still bl00dy difficult though
    The boom is further away from the wake turbulence (as it’s under the centreline) created by wing tips meaning holding formation is easier. - Still bl00dy difficult though.

    There are far more qualified person than me on here that will be able to add real time experience. The above info comes from talking to a former fast jet jock who did an exchange tour in the US.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th September 2022 at 17:54.

  33. #583
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    The Embraer EMB-505 Phenom 300 has a takeoff distance of 978 m (at max weight etc). Wellesbourne EGBW offers a runway length of 917 m. The landing will have been easier needing around 674 m, but they'll have to make sure that they're not fully loaded for takeoff.

  34. #584
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Southampton to Wellesbourne!
    Stopping off to catch tonight's production of All's Well on the way home perhaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That the the risk of being a boring...
    Thanks for that. It's an aspect of military aviation I've not previously given much thought to. (I even managed to stay awake right to the end :-)

  35. #585
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    P&D vs flying boom.

    Can anyone pass comment on the differences (advantages/drawbacks) between the two systems from a user/operator perspective?

    (Over and above those noted by Sinnlover.)
    See also...flying boom versus the probe-and-drogue system.

  36. #586
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,614

    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

  37. #587
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Something shown as a drone/ UAV out of the Sculthorpe Training Area: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=000001.

    On landing the icon changed to that of a helicopter and it got a callsign of XCEDM. That seems unlikely to be its registration...see www.jetphotos.com/registration/XC-EDM.

  38. #588
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,234
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    P&D vs flying boom.

    Can anyone pass comment on the differences (advantages/drawbacks) between the two systems from a user/operator perspective?

    (Over and above those noted by Sinnlover.)
    I can give a personal perspective as probably one of few that refuelled the same (heavy) aircraft from both systems:

    Boom would deliver fuel at a faster rate. As a receiver pilot, I always preferred getting fuel on quicker. It would take up to 10 minutes in contact to get fuel on, which was both mentally and physically draining. Any time you could cut off this the better.

    Flying into contact was very different for probe-and-drogue versus boom. P&D always felt a little less precise - the drogue tended to move around in your bow wave and you could spend quite a lot of time 'jousting' at the basket and missing, even with a decent talk-on by your co-pilot. You also ran the risk of getting a 'spokes' contact and damaging the basket which was game over for the refueller unless they had a second hose. I also found it slightly unnerving because you had to get a good 5kts overtake to make contact with the basket, which meant feeling at times like you were closing on the other aircraft in close formation a bit quick. I eventually qualified to refuel from the co-pilots seat - one of the main skills in doing this was to ignore the basket (that was right in front of your face) completely and not chase it, but line up and move in on visual references from the refuelling aircraft - if you got suckered into chasing the basket you'd end up in a pilot induced oscillation. Once in contact and receiving fuel though, you had a slightly wider margin to move around though and it felt a little more relaxed.

    On the flip side, boom felt much more controlled. You had a talk on by the boom operator who gets you in the right spot then manoeuvred the boom into your receptacle. Much smaller room to manoeuvre when you are plugged in and easy to get kicked out when the boom reached the automatic limit for disconnection.

    Personally, I preferred boom, but I suspect that was because of the abundance of US/NATO/Dutch tankers meant we did more boom than P&D (near the end of their life the Tristar and VC-10 serviceability was shocking!). Boom felt a much higher certainty of (a) there actually being a tanker for you and (b) getting the fuel onboard (although failing to get fuel onboard once you were behind any type of tanker was rare).
    Last edited by Christian; 21st September 2022 at 16:56.

  39. #589
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,863
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I can give a personal perspective as probably one of few that refuelled the same (heavy) aircraft from both systems:
    Fascinating, thank you for that description.

    In particular, your explanation makes sense about pilot induced oscillations. There are a number of videos on the Internet of this happening and now I can see why. It must be very tempting (and seemingly intuitive) to follow the drogue.

    What was your aircraft? I was not aware that any UK aircraft had both systems fitted (or at last had both maintained).

  40. #590
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,234
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Fascinating, thank you for that description.

    In particular, your explanation makes sense about pilot induced oscillations. There are a number of videos on the Internet of this happening and now I can see why. It must be very tempting (and seemingly intuitive) to follow the drogue.

    What was your aircraft? I was not aware that any UK aircraft had both systems fitted (or at last had both maintained).
    E3D (which we've just sold to the Chileans). PIOing happens on boom too when you are learning even if experienced at formation. Instructor will give it to you nice and stable behind the tanker and before you know it everyone ends up rocking out from wingtip to wingtip. You quickly learn to stabilise the PIO at the extremity of movement before slowly squeezing back to the centre...preventing the instinct to overcontrol. All to do with the effect of a control input lagging the actual input.

    Last edited by Christian; 21st September 2022 at 18:13.

  41. #591
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    It canít refuel the VC25, the Voyagers are set up for probe and drogue-type refuelling, not the flying boom the USAF use.
    Iím sure there have been a lot of supporting aircraft that are removed from ADS-B data today.
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Fascinating, thank you for that description.

    In particular, your explanation makes sense about pilot induced oscillations. There are a number of videos on the Internet of this happening and now I can see why. It must be very tempting (and seemingly intuitive) to follow the drogue.

    What was your aircraft? I was not aware that any UK aircraft had both systems fitted (or at last had both maintained).
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    E3D (which we've just sold to the Chileans). PIOing happens on boom too when you are learning even if experienced at formation. Instructor will give it to you nice and stable behind the tanker and before you know it everyone ends up rocking out from wingtip to wingtip. You quickly learn to stabilise the PIO at the extremity of movement before slowly squeezing back to the centre...preventing the instinct to overcontrol. All to do with the effect of a control input lagging the actual input.

    ...image...
    Wiki tells me that the E-3D was modified by "the addition of a refuelling probe next to the existing boom AAR receptacle".

    Its replacement (due in 2003) is the Wedgetail AEW Mk1. I don't suppose that they've added a refuelling probe to the MOD's spec, have they?

  42. #592
    Ron Eisele on twitter:

    "22 September 1950. The first crossing of the Atlantic in a jet fighter, a Republic EF-84E Thunderjet, was made by David C. Schilling from RAF Manston in England to Maine in the United States, using probe-and-drogue flight refuelling."

    https://twitter.com/ron_eisele/statu...44939275857920

  43. #593
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,234
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Wiki tells me that the E-3D was modified by "the addition of a refuelling probe next to the existing boom AAR receptacle".

    Its replacement (due in 2003) is the Wedgetail AEW Mk1. I don't suppose that they've added a refuelling probe to the MOD's spec, have they?
    I don't know for certain (I left a few years ago), but I suspect not as it integrates with European NATO AEW fleets and would therefore spend more time behind NATO boom tankers (mainly KC-135 and KDC-10).

  44. #594
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    106
    Anyone live near Southend airport? What are the noise levels like?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information