closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT with dive or countdown bezel

Apprentice

Question GMT with dive or countdown bezel

Hi folks, hope you are all well in these uncertain times.

Im looking to add a GMT to my collection but enjoy interacting with my watches regularly so generally lean towards divers and chronos.

A GMT bezel would satisfy the need for interaction somewhat but I don’t think i would find it useful enough day to day so wondered if anyone had any ideas of a GMT with a dive or countdown bezel.

Also would ideally have a screw down crown for security in water.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

A

I can very much empathise. What's your budget?

Apprentice
    Most likely max out at £1500.

Craftsman
    Crestic TX-1
    It's a kickstarter that's already been funded.
    It's currently available for pre order, you can have the GMT bezel and the dive bezel can be swapped around if you like.

There is also a choice of movements, there is a Ronda GMT quartz at £202, a seiko kinetic quartz GMT at £238, and an automatic Sellita SW330 GMT Automatic at £452, these are pre order prices.

Being as it's not been released, to the public yet, it is hard to tell the true quality of watch, there is a few reviews on YouTube about the watch, it's one I'm very much interested in.

Attached a generic picture below, as you can see there are a few colour options below.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Perhaps a Stowa GMT - I'm sure if you asked them they could subsitute the bezel from the TO1 or TO2 sport... They're huge at 45mm Dia though, such a shame as I really like the design.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+GMT.htm

Craftsman
    CITIZEN PROMASTER 200M GMT Diver?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1579566121

has a screw down crown also

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...ver-bj7111-86l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    CITIZEN PROMASTER 200M GMT Diver?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1579566121

has a screw down crown also

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...ver-bj7111-86l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Comes in a few colours as well - someone on here had one but I forget who...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Crestic TX-1
    It's currently available for pre order, you can have the GMT bezel and the dive bezel can be swapped around if you like.

There is also a choice of movements, there is a Ronda GMT quartz at £202, a seiko kinetic quartz GMT at £238, and an automatic Sellita SW330 GMT Automatic at £452, these are pre order prices.

Being as it's not been released, to the public yet, it is hard to tell the true quality of watch, there is a few reviews on YouTube about the watch, it's one I'm very much interested in.

Attached a generic picture below, as you can see there are a few colour options below.

They really have crammed in a load of features into those, at those prices almost worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Crestic TX-1

I am giving it a go, imho it is at last the GMT diver that Seiko themselves never made.
    I am going to go for a 0-60 external bezel and 24 hr internal one, using the Kinteic GMT movement, in titanium, no date. Winner all round

Dave

Those options look great! Titanium, two rotating bezels, GMT, date function, decent water resistance.

Not sure on the brand name though - sounds like if your nads had a peak to them:

Crestical!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Those options look great! Titanium, two rotating bezels, GMT, date function, decent water resistance.

Not sure on the brand name though - sounds like if your nads had a peak to them:

Crestical!
    I am given to understand that they were so inundated with testicle comments that the brand (and dial) will now be Crestic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am given to understand that they were so inundated with testicle comments that the brand (and dial) will now be Crestic.
    That is correct, they shortened it to Crestic, I'm still on the fence! Not sure if to go for it, I'm between the kinetic or sw330 if I do go for it.

How about the recently released Christopher Ward C60 Elite GMT 1000.

Titanium case, Cosc, 1000m WR & display caseback. Choice of blue or black bezels and in budget on hybrid rubber @ £1495 or for a bit more on the titanium bracelet for £1715.

There's usually a £100 discount voucher floating about too.

GMT with dive or countdown bezel

both very hard to find but a couple of limited edition (and non homage) Steinharts fit the bill nicely

Master
    Surely you should consider Timefactor's Dreadnought Voyager GMT PRS-21.

They are built like tanks are are fantastic watches -and have a unique style.

I guess the critical question now is whether you want a slave GMT or true GMT?

The best aspect of true GMT movement for me is the independent hour hand so you can flick between hours wonderfully easily, but I assume that adds rather more cost to a movement than those with a slave GMT hand.

I guess the critical question now is whether you want a slave GMT or true GMT?

The best aspect of true GMT movement for me is the independent hour hand so you can flick between hours wonderfully easily, but I assume that adds rather more cost to a movement than those with a slave GMT hand.

Sadly the Powermatic 80 GMT movement which is the cheapest true GMT on the market by a long way is not yet in a Diver's watch...

Apprentice
    Some great options there, really like the look of the Steinharts,

I do like CW generally but for some reason can’t get into the text at the 9, just doesn’t feel balanced for me.

@hughtrimble - true GMT would be my preference, I guess that pushes the cost closer to 1500?

Sinn U2 ticks all the boxes.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Seiko SUN series of watches fits the bill.
    Kinetic movement, great lume, travellers GMT, 200m water resistance
    They are big but if you can live with the size i would say it’s hard to beat for the money.
    It’s been my go to travel watch for years, it gets battered when I go away (seriously battered) and has never missed a beat.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th April 2020 at 13:03.

I really liked my SUN019, but found it too heavy for big hand/arm movment stuff, which is why I think this

Which is what Crestic are hopefully making for me, will fit the bill. The Ti will make it under 80g without strap, and the Kineitc reserve, usability and traveller GMT will hopefully make it a great travel watch.

Dave

Slightly over your budget but not too far off pre-owned, a proper dive watch and GMT with excitement lume, accurate to being Spring Drive, Seiko Marine Master SBDB001 or otherwise known as the MM600.

Craftsman
    I really liked my SUN019, but found it too heavy for big hand/arm movment stuff, which is why I think this

Which is what Crestic are hopefully making for me, will fit the bill. The Ti will make it under 80g without strap, and the Kineitc reserve, usability and traveller GMT will hopefully make it a great travel watch.

Dave
    Looks great!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

The Seiko SUN series of watches fits the bill.
    Kinetic movement, great lume, travellers GMT, 200m water resistance
    They are big but if you can live with the size i would say it’s hard to beat for the money.
    It’s been my go to travel watch for years, it gets battered when I go away (seriously battered) and has never missed a beat.
    I’ve had 3 of these in different colours - if it was only a few mm’s smaller would be the perfect travel watch.

Apprentice

Dave
    Apologies for dragging this thread up from a couple of months ago, and also in advance for the potentially stupid / obvious question.... On the Crestic here (and similar watches I’ve seen), do the main two hands tell “12 hr” time or only 24? Ie; on the pic, is it showing 10:10 on the main hands, not 20:10?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggy View Post
    Apologies for dragging this thread up from a couple of months ago, and also in advance for the potentially stupid / obvious question.... On the Crestic here (and similar watches I’ve seen), do the main two hands tell “12 hr” time or only 24? Ie; on the pic, is it showing 10:10 on the main hands, not 20:10?
    The two main hands tell 12 hour time, the GMT hand tells 24 hour time.

Very few watches display 24 hour time with the main hands (I'm currently wearing one such watch that does)

Since this has been bumped I should update with 2 things.
    One, the Crestic project (still available via Indiegogo) stalled for the last 3 months.
    Only last week did the project owner re-emerge to tell us that there is a delay due to Covid related bankruptcy of his case supplier, personal issues and problems with the HK/China border being closed. He has promised to conplete the project, but potential customers should make their own judgements.
    Secondly the Mido Ocean Star GMT fits this bill very well (see the separate post about it)
    Dave

Apprentice
    The two main hands tell 12 hour time, the GMT hand tells 24 hour time.

Very few watches display 24 hour time with the main hands (I'm currently wearing one such watch that does)

Thanks - I assumed most would be 12 hr with the main hands, but have seen a few with 24 hour numbering and wasn’t sure.

Love the look of the Glycine - do you get used to reading it in 24 hour or always have to double check it?