closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: James Fisher Defense - Divex watch

Journeyman

James Fisher Defense - Divex watch

Came across this on line, thought it looked like a good beater, manufactured by James Fisher Defnse for commercial diving.

https://www.jfdglobal.com/products/c...ivers-watches/

That looks very familiar - is it not just a generic watch with their branding on it, rather than made by them?

Out of interest is there anything in particular about James Fisher Defence that makes them notable, as I've not heard of them before.

https://www.jfdecommerce.com/divex-p...ional-200.html

Last edited by hughtrimble; 9th April 2020 at 19:08.

This is mine. Had it a couple of years. Seiko movement and a bit of an industry workhorse. Good value for the money.

I'm liking the look of their 500m version:

https://www.jfdecommerce.com/divex-offshore-500.html

Great watches with Seiko movement.

There’s an interesting story here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/di...cean-shipwreck

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I bought mine off the back of that article. Cost £75 back then and worth every penny. It's a "must have" watch for me. Strap is extra long so needs cutting down or just swapping out as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That looks very familiar - is it not just a generic watch with their branding on it, rather than made by them?
    Apeks, Astina, Cressi, Aqualung, Tauchmeister & others: the same watch, different branding.

They've been the subject of posts on here for at least ten years, so nothing new...
    ______

​Jim.

Out of curiosity what's the lume like on these compared to a Seiko diver?.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    Out of curiosity what's the lume like on these compared to a Seiko diver?.
    Very good actually. Comparable to the SKX007 and SPB077.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Out of interest is there anything in particular about James Fisher Defence that makes them notable, as I've not heard of them before.

https://www.jfdecommerce.com/divex-p...ional-200.html

Nothing special about them other than the have a manufacturing site near me in Glasgow, they manufacture a lot of equipment for the offshore industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    I bought mine off the back of that article. Cost £75 back then and worth every penny. It's a "must have" watch for me. Strap is extra long so needs cutting down or just swapping out as I did.
    I’m sold.... will order one.

Out of interest what did you replace the strap with?

As has been said, these have been discussed multiple times in the past - most notably a thread started by TakeTheCannoli entitled something like ... Is this the best value diver ever?”

On the strength of that thread I bought one and think it’s a great dive watch for the money.

Like Dunce, I replaced the strap - in my case with a Borealis ‘ISOfrane’ lookalike... the whole rig cost me just under £100 which imo is excellent vfm.

Here it is...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Nothing special about them other than the have a manufacturing site near me in Glasgow, they manufacture a lot of equipment for the offshore industry.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m sold.... will order one.

Out of interest what did you replace the strap with?
    Ditto the Borealis Isofrane-style for about £20 (I think). It's been on the watch ever since.

Craftsman
    James Fisher is a big group. A few years ago they bought up Divex to give more access to the commercial and military diving supply industry.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'm thinking of picking one of these up after all this has hopefully passed

Very good actually. Comparable to the SKX007 and SPB077.
    Cheers.

Craftsman

My Divex watch has a Seiko quartz movement btw. Great value watches imo

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by ALindsay; 10th April 2020 at 16:17. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Apeks, Astina, Cressi, Aqualung, Tauchmeister & others: the same watch, different branding.

Could it be that since they seem to have Seiko movements and similar lume, that they are in fact made by Seiko for the above brands? Does anyone know who makes them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Could it be that since they seem to have Seiko movements and similar lume, that they are in fact made by Seiko for the above brands? Does anyone know who makes them?
    There are case makers in China who will put together a watch such as that using any movement of choice, the most expensive part being the movement, in the case of that watch probably between £10-15 depending on quantity.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There are case makers in China who will put together a watch such as that using any movement of choice, the most expensive part being the movement, in the case of that watch probably between £10-15 depending on quantity.
    Great point, if you can find a supplier that can put something like this together (with the Seiko movement) for £15 let’s get a Forum watch made, withTZUK printed on the dial I’m sure we could fill an order of at least 500 units, I’m sure there would be a clever graphic designer on here who would make a graphic for the watch as well??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Great point, if you can find a supplier that can put something like this together (with the Seiko movement) for £15 let’s get a Forum watch made, withTZUK printed on the dial I’m sure we could fill an order of at least 500 units, I’m sure there would be a clever graphic designer on here who would make a graphic for the watch as well??

Master
    The ideal person for this would be our forum owner, Eddie, who already has a watch manufacturing business. Would this be viable for him? If he could get 500 at £15 each = £7500. He could then sell them, for say, £50 to forum members. That would represent a profit of £17500, minus vat and shipping. Maybe it would have to be £70 each. That would be £27500 minus out goings. I definitely think 500 would sell. It could be the start of a number of forum special editions.

He could keep the Timefactors brands for the high end models and start another brand for something like this. Could be just "TZUK" or something.
    Last edited by Tiny; 11th April 2020 at 09:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

They've been the subject of posts on here for at least ten years, so nothing new...

Thank you all for the info on these and Divex. My current favourite is the 500m version, but I imagine it's pretty chunky (can't see the specs on their site).

I was watching 'Last Breath' last night, which wasn't only a really enthralling film, but also had quite a bit of Divex equipment in it.

Master
    As already stated above... Apeks is just one of many variants sharing the same case and movement.

This is mine...lume is amazing

Mike

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk