closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Approx £1k for a Diver? What to choose

Oris 65 would be my choice. The bracelet is superb. I love the look of aquis, but the lack of flexibility with strap changes puts me off.

The certina is another good shout, there's a watchgecko beads of rice that works well.

Rado Captain Cook, squale 1521 etc

Thank you for the replies everyone. Some lovely pieces. The Oris 65 is currently in front but not sure whether to stretch to the Seamaster...

Blog Entries
    First thought: Seiko's collection. Always a safe buy. When looking for something different, try Squale. They still use the Van Buren case, the one Blancpain used for its Bund watches.

When lumen is important, then have a look at the Citizen collection as well. I think that Citizen is even a little better in the lumen department.

Master
    Seeing that Certina on a Nato is giving me massive seller remorse . I’m tempted to chop some watches to acquire a PH200 and a PH500.

Of the watches I’ve pasted below , the Certina could be purchased new within your budget with plenty of change left over. The listed 2nd hand watches could all be done with negotiation

Seamaster Quartz - one of the most versatile watches worn by the Prince’s , Naval Officers and Oiks like me.
    The Longine Legend for a retro look. The new Certina 500 which will have a very good crown system and decent Lume and then an ever dependable Breitling Colt .

Journeyman
    I would personally look at Yema - really nice looking watches but don't know much about them.

I quite fancy the longines legend. Uncle Seiko do a great beads of rice for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    ... The certina is another good shout, there's a watchgecko beads of rice that works well.
    Have to agree. I know it's a different model, but the bracelet that comes with Certina's DS Action Aqua is by a country mile the best of any watch I own - especially like the quick-adjust ratchet system for "fat wrist days", the overall build quality of the watch and bracelet is excellent. The quartz model can be had for £300 used which is absurdly cheap for the quality.

I like the C Ward Anthropocene but perhaps not at full price

I'd probably go for an Aquaracer or keep an eye out for deals an Oris Aquis.
    My FIL has an aquis and it's a beautiful watch especially considering the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I never get threads like this where the goal is to spend a particular amount on a certain type of watch. Why not just wait, browse the forums and in time something will appeal. Or maybe it won't.
    Reminds me of when I was a kid and desperate to spend my christmas money in the toy shop, my mum would always advise me to only buy if I really wanted something, not just for the sake of it. The cash and toy shop won't go anywhere if you wait until you find something amazing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM35F View Post
    I never get threads like this where the goal is to spend a particular amount on a certain type of watch. Why not just wait, browse the forums and in time something will appeal. Or maybe it won't.
    Reminds me of when I was a kid and desperate to spend my christmas money in the toy shop, my mum would always advise me to only buy if I really wanted something, not just for the sake of it. The cash and toy shop won't go anywhere if you wait until you find something amazing.
    Maybe through the forums' input, he is shown something that he considers amazing that he was previously unaware of? I've certainly been shown a number of watches in this thread that I'd never come across :)

This.

He stated a budget and a watch type. It is a watch forum after all. Great place to ask such a question I think.

Yeah fair points. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Nice place to be in with a nice budget. For me I love my seiko tuna, I paid 600 ish but I think they're 800 ish now.

Journeyman
    Get a Seiko tuna or a Tissot seastar way less for your budget but it has an awesome automatic in it

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’ve come to this thread a bit late, but I’d go along with the idea of a Doxa Sub 200.

Having said that, I used to own a Certina DS Action Titanium which was a nice watch (albeit not quite exciting enough for me to keep, in retrospect...).

Simon

Journeyman
    Would definitely recommend the Longines Hydroconquest. I own the grey dial automatic chronograph with ceramic bezel and I love it. Fit and finish are superb and the brand history is first-class.

If you're able to get a good discount on the non-chrono ceramic bezel version, you'll find it's unbeatable in that price range.

Here's my Hydroconquest Chronograph, for reference:

Master
    As we're blowing the budget, have a look at the Sinn U1 and Temption watches also.
    Personally if I didn't already have a Breitling SOH I'd be all over the Rado Captain cook. And I will at some point be buying an Eterna Kon-Tiki of some ilk as I love the brand after getting an utter bargain of a Tangaroa.
    Longines is a brand I want to like but just can't bring myself to spend money on. You can lump Oris and Certina in with that too. Mainly for style, and / or perception issues. Shallow I know but there it is (personally, for me, you may / will differ )
    If you can find a decent Omega or Breitling in budget then they are probably the safest bets but both again have strong styles that are polarizing.

In your shoes I'd spend some time trawling chrono24 with your max budget +10%, size, depth rating and any other criteria you have. Make a shortlist of watches that you would buy and then come back and ask about them specifically / look up reviews on the internet. The dive watch arena is huge and there are so many styles and functions there are almost as many favourites as there are people on the forum - at ANY price point.