closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 200th Post SOTC

200th Post SOTC

Having done a 50th post SOTC in June 2018, I thought I'd try again at 200. Here's what I've got:

Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical from April 2015. ETA 2804-2 manual wind. The matt Hamilton bracelet from Swatch Group has an attractive finish, but it scratches the bead-blasted section of the caseback.

Precista Royal Navy Diver PRS-82 from April 2016. I joined TZ-UK so I could be added to the PRS-82 Owners List. Still my favorite, and current shelter-in-place watch. This no. 1601424 is one of the last of the new old stock ETA 2783 editions, from before Roland Kemmner retired. The straight-end Strapcode bracelet fits the watch well, but does not take half-links, so I'm mostly wearing the original rubber strap.

Vostok Amphibia SE (2016 September) from Meranom. I modded with Murphy bezel, Yobokies countdown bezel insert, and Vostok Station Antarctica 1957 caseback. 2-piece Zulu strap from Clockwork Synergy. The rationale for the 24-hour movement is for submarine use and polar exploration, but it's finicky and not terribly reliable. It's a fun watch, though. I love the case.

Swiss Army Officers Quartz Chrono, circa 1992. As worn by Rob Morrow who played doctor Joel Fleischman on Northern Exposure, which I had been binge watching when I found this on eBay in March 2017.

G-Shock GD350 from April 2019. Negative display and vibration alarm. Not as large as seems in this photo. I wear hearing aids, so the vibe alarm is the key feature for me. Wakes me up from a dead sleep 3 out of 5 times.

Stowa Marine Classic Silver Dial (2019 June). Solid sterling silver dial, brushed case, manual wind movement ETA 2804-2. My most expensive watch, and the one I saved the longest for, but I just don't wear it much, sadly. I should give it another try.

Newmark 6BB from August 2019. I missed Ewan's Kickstarter, so this is from the second batch. Like the Vostok, I love the 6BB's acrylic crystal. This watch looks sharp on Eddie's NATO.

Here's the whole group:

I'm pretty happy with this lot, but I admire the 2 to 3 watch collections I've seen posted here on the forums. I'm not sure what I'd let go, though, if I went that route. Plus I'd like to try these: CWC RN Diver, Pulsar RAF Chrono, Sinn 356, Seiko MM300, and maybe a solar Tuna, a Turtle, or Hamilton Khaki 38 Auto. Where to begin?

I'm on Tapatalk, so I hope this post and images are alright. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks for reading, and thanks to Eddie. Stay safe, everyone!
    Last edited by williemays; 8th April 2020 at 13:42.

Craftsman
    What an excellent collection. However you are right..... You need a Seiko. May I recommend a Turtle or Tuna.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great nicely varied collection! That Hamilton looks very attractive and nicely built. I’ll second the remark that you do need a Seiko though 👍

200th Post SOTC

I am interested in a SRP777 with properly aligned chapter ring and bezel.

I sold this mini Turtle last year:

My other Seiko Quartz from late 1980s, a high school graduation present from my parents, I gave to my teenage daughter:

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I'm pretty happy with this lot, but I admire the 2 to 3 watch collections I've seen posted here on the forums. I'm not sure what I'd let go, though, if I went that route. Plus I'd like to try these: CWC RN Diver, Pulsar RAF Chrono, Sinn 356, Seiko MM300, and maybe a solar Tuna, a Turtle, or Hamilton Khaki 38 Auto. Where to begin?
    Great little collection as is.

Looking at this and your previous SOTC you like field, diver, and chronograph styles.

If you want to try a few others but ultimately to consolidate why not aim for two field watches, two chronographs, two divers, plus the digital? To get down to a smaller watch collection you could then pick whichever of each type you wear most.

I’m very impressed with my Khaki Field Auto 38 and that would make a great brother to your current Khaki.

The Seiko Turtle isn’t all that and your chances of finding a well-aligned one are minimal. Head straight to the CWC RN which is more in keeping with your toolish collection than a MM300. Keep your Precista. It is your favourite.

A Sinn 356 or Pulsar would be a great chronograph in addition to the Newmark. The Pulsar would probably better suit the style of your collection.

So that would mean parting with the Vostok, the Stowa which you don’t wear much, and the Swiss Army.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Great little collection as is.

Looking at this and your previous SOTC you like field, diver, and chronograph styles.

If you want to try a few others but ultimately to consolidate why not aim for two field watches, two chronographs, two divers, plus the digital? To get down to a smaller watch collection you could then pick whichever of each type you wear most.

I’m very impressed with my Khaki Field Auto 38 and that would make a great brother to your current Khaki.

The Seiko Turtle isn’t all that and your chances of finding a well-aligned one are minimal. Head straight to the CWC RN which is more in keeping with your toolish collection than a MM300. Keep your Precista. It is your favourite.

A Sinn 356 or Pulsar would be a great chronograph in addition to the Newmark. The Pulsar would probably better suit the style of your collection.

So that would mean parting with the Vostok, the Stowa which you don’t wear much, and the Swiss Army.
    Thanks, @vortgern. Good advice!

200th Post SOTC

I’ think you’re right about the Turtle being not all that. My hesitation about the CWC diver is it being too similar to the PRS-82. Maybe wait for Eddie’s PRS-3 quartz? Really like the Sinn 356, but never have seen one in person, and it’d stretch my budget.

If you got two of each type you could difference them by movement. e.g. manual and auto Khaki, auto PRS-82 and quartz CWC RN or PRS-3, meca-quartz Newmark and auto Sinn or quartz Pulsar. You could also vary by whether they have date and day or not.

To me the Pulsar would be a better fit for your collection than the Sinn. The 356 possibly wears a bit top heavy with a smallish diameter and quite high with a domed crystal but YMMV. Agree it is one you need to see IRL.

Nice collection, particularly the Stowa.

Master
    A nice varied collection. I really like the look of the 6BB.

Master
    A lovely collection, your Stowa stands for me, very elegant. I am hankering after a 6BB too but that will have to wait. Thank you for sharing.

Nice, thoughtful collection. I like it.

Personally, despite the comments from vortgern, I wouldn’t be quite so quick to dismiss the idea of a Seiko Turtle. Many people still rave about the iconic SKX 007/009, but I used to own a 009 and now own a PADI Turtle, and I consider it a significantly better watch in every respect.

Oh, and the alignment on mine is spot on...

Simon

About the Turtle, just read this article:

Sunday Morning Showdown: Seiko Prospex Automatic SRP777 “Turtle”
    Rate it or hate it? Whose side are you on?
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/sund...srp777-turtle/

Maybe I should go ahead and give the Turtle a try. That and the 38 Hamilton auto. Then cull the collection after those?

But about the Pulsar RAF, which would you start with, Gen 1 or 2? Leaning toward 2.

And not sure if I mentioned above, I really like the Marinemaster 300...

I have the SBDY015 (the JDM version of the SRP777). Fortunately It's chapter ring is perfectly aligned.

The watch itself is fantastic so I would highly recommend at least trying one. They are sought after watches so if you don't like it, selling it on is unlikely to be too much of an issue.
    Mine has gained about 3 minutes over the first month of wearing it, so not too bad at all.

Try it and see what you think. They are addictive though...I've already been eyeing up the SRPC23 amongst others!

Very nice collection and quite varied.

Didn't know about the vibe alarm on that G-shock. It does sound useful as a personal alarm when you don't want to wake anyone else.

Master
    A good collection of watches, congratulations.

Can't accuse you of being a speed poster as it has take you 3 years to make it to 200.