closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub 1680 and Sea Dweller 16660 side by side comparision

Journeyman

Rolex Sub 1680 and Sea Dweller 16660 side by side comparision

Whilst I'm banging out the pictures thought I'd show you my two Rollies side by side.

The 16660 Sea dweller came to me from a commercial diver who had literally worn it to destruction saturation diving. Its been down to 250m. It was before I knew anything about Rolex and I sent it for a service. Rolex UK decided it needed a new dial, and hands to match, and as I later learnt kindly devaluing it by £2000 for me.

Lesson learnt the hard way, but the quality of the restoration was impeccable:

Otherjohn

Master
    Both look good.
    Live and learn as they say

Journeyman
    Thanks,

It would be a tough choice if I had to get rid of one.

Otherjohn

Pace yourself John, you're going to run out of threads to create.

Journeyman
    No way, plenty of watches and lots of stories to tell.

And of course plenty of time.....

Otherjohn

Banned
    Strange question that I've been meaning to ask for years...

What modern watch is equal in quality to a Rolex of this age? Of course I understand it's a Rolex and not many come close to the cache Rolex has, but for example is a Steinhart or Squale Sub homage with an ETA equal in build quality to the pictured watches?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Strange question that I've been meaning to ask for years...

What modern watch is equal in quality to a Rolex of this age? Of course I understand it's a Rolex and not many come close to the cache Rolex has, but for example is a Steinhart or Squale Sub homage with an ETA equal in build quality to the pictured watches?
    Gone fishing!!

Nice pair, makes you wonder what Rolex do with all those old dials and hands, think I’ll need to visit the factory and do some dumpster diving round the back!

Blog Entries
    Both look excellent! On the bright side - you can wear the SD with impunity - knowing it will continue to give you years of service. It depends if you want a functional watch? Which would you deep diving? Both in theory are good to 200m or so.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th April 2020 at 08:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Whilst I'm banging out the pictures thought I'd show you my two Rollies side by side.

The 16660 Sea dweller came to me from a commercial diver who had literally worn it to destruction saturation diving. Its been down to 250m. It was before I knew anything about Rolex and I sent it for a service. Rolex UK decided it needed a new dial, and hands to match, and as I later learnt kindly devaluing it by £2000 for me.

Lesson learnt the hard way, but the quality of the restoration was impeccable:

Otherjohn
    Great pictures.. Personally, I hadn't thought about putting the SD on a NATO, might give it a try.

Special to have a Seadweller with provenance like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Nice pair, makes you wonder what Rolex do with all those old dials and hands, think I’ll need to visit the factory and do some dumpster diving round the back!
    Don't know about Rolex but suspect some found their way out as the market for such items developed. An in house Rolex repairer working in a Northern jewellers used to give me old dials, hands and inserts when I dropped a watch of for service....

Similar story to this one. It was once a Matt dialled 16660 but received the full Rolex treatment of replacement dial, hands, crystal and case. The only original parts are the movement, case back and bracelet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    Similar story to this one. It was once a Matt dialled 16660 but received the full Rolex treatment of replacement dial, hands, crystal and case. The only original parts are the movement, case back and bracelet...

Good work by the RSC - you now have a fully functional watch, fit for the purpose for which it was designed. Thanks for sharing.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Great pictures.. Personally, I hadn't thought about putting the SD on a NATO, might give it a try.
    The SD came on the black and white NATO and it suits it really well. The original bracelet was unusable after years of diving in salt water.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    At the time (2013) I asked for old dial back as the watch had sentimental value. They offered me 'MY' dial back for £493!

I declined the offer on principle and have been kicking myself ever since!

Otherjohn

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Never had a problem with mine in salt water, what made it unusable?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Both look excellent! On the bright side - you can wear the SD with impunity - knowing it will continue to give you years of service. It depends if you want a functional watch? Which would you deep diving? Both in theory are good to 200m or so.
    The SD is the ultimate tool watch as proven by my friend who chose to wear it deep diving despite being connected to computer controlled life support system.

On that basis it would me my first choice.

Otherjohn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Don't know about Rolex but suspect some found their way out as the market for such items developed. An in house Rolex repairer working in a Northern jewellers used to give me old dials, hands and inserts when I dropped a watch of for service....
    I suspect that wouldn't happen now, I tried several resources to get the watch repaired but the sports watch parts are so highly controlled by Rolex. With hindsight I now know where I could have had the dial restored. And could have sent the watch to Rolex minus a dial?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Never had a problem with mine in salt water, what made it unusable?
    The bracelet was hanging together by a tread due to erosion of metal on the links and clasp broken.

The crystal was heavily and deeply scratched from serious under water work routines.

The bezel was heavily battered and insert unrecognisable.

One of the dial index markers had come off was and floating around inside the case, this had dislodged a lot of lume that had got into the movement.

The crown was damaged from impact.

The bill from Rolex was £1342.

Wished I had taken some photos at the time to show the difference now.

Otherjohn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post

I think you will agree that Rolex work is a close to perfection as it gets?

Do you have a bracelet?

Otherjohn

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Crikey, that's a lot of damage for a subsea watch, mine have never got that badly damaged!!!
    Last edited by seadog1408; 8th April 2020 at 18:19.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Crikey, that's a lot of damage for a subsea watch, mine have never got that badly damaged!!!
    The owner was a former COMEX diver and spent 35 years diving for living. He bought the SD in 1984 after swapping his 1665 Comex for an underwater camera!

He now knows that was a bum deal.

Master

Talking

I'm sure seadog would have a greater appreciation of the wear and tear on a watch if he had similar underwater excursions :)