closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko D Sub 1 or Sinn UX?

Damasko D Sub 1 or Sinn UX?

I've been looking around for a nice 'tool' diver and reckon I've narrowed it down to these two.

I've been looking at reviews etc but would like to ask: which would you choose and why?...and if you have any other suggestions for something similar.

I like the 'grab n go' idea and accuracy of the quartz Sinn, but not so sure on battery life/Sinn only servicing

Having had a Sinn T2, which I liked (esp. the low weight) but let go, that could be another possibility, but I prefer a white on black bezel for legibility and thinking I'd like something a little larger/chunkier!

Cheers

Craftsman
    I have a Sinn U1 SDR arriving tomorrow..
    I will take some pictures and show you, I have had the UX but the inevitable bubble under the glass was a pain and put me off the watch, having to send it to Germany for a service also is a bit of a pain..
    Prefer a 2824 top grade, easier to service and live with although not as accurate obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D sub1 might be difficult to track down, but very nice
    Tough Choice!

Master
    Can’t comment on the D1 but I love my Sinn UX SDR it’s a real grab and go anywhere watch that will soak up anything that can be thrown at it touch as old nails and battery has been fine for five years and counting now. Can be viewed from any angle to do the hydro filled case.
    Had a Damasko DC66 previously equally tough but haven’t seen the D1

No comment on Damasko, but had a UX since 2014, seen plenty of work action and the case has held up well, super legible, its a heavy beast at 190g on the bracelet, but drilled lugs makes things easy, great grab & go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    My view would be that you cannot go wrong with either both are fantastic value, super accurate and as hard as nails. However, I would favour the UX for the aforementioned ‘grab n go’ flexibility and it’s adaptability to many straps. I have never had the sub to be honest but I have had three different Damasko watches over the years, I have had a DC66 for about a month and I have had a UX for nearly six years.

Journeyman
    sinn for me

The Damasko does nothing for me, so the Sinn UX. I like the Sinn a lot, although being oil filled does complicate servicing.

D

I'm honestly puzzled why Sinn hasn't embraced one of the Lithium-batteried Ronda quartz movements used in FAR cheaper watches - 10 years battery life makes sense for a fluid filled-watch that needs shipping back to its maker, as opposed to 2-3 years. Or maybe a light-powered movement - Seiko, Citizen and Casio all make them...

That bubble is annoying, too...

FWLIW, love my Damasko, might be the watch that finally makes me sell off a bunch of other stuff...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'm honestly puzzled why Sinn hasn't embraced one of the Lithium-batteried Ronda quartz movements used in FAR cheaper watches - 10 years battery life makes sense for a fluid filled-watch that needs shipping back to its maker, as opposed to 2-3 years. Or maybe a light-powered movement - Seiko, Citizen and Casio all make them...

FWLIW, love my Damasko, might be the watch that finally makes me sell off a bunch of other stuff...
    Don’t the Sinn UX models have batteries that are good for 5 to 7 years at a time, certainly much longer than the 2 or 3 years you suggest? The service costs for the UX models are fairly reasonable. (Someone recently created a post about sending his UX back to Sinn for service. Quick turnaround and not too expensive as I recall).

Craftsman
    My UX is from 2013 and still has the original battery.
    I noticed that recent post where a three week turn around at a cost of £250 was mentioned too. It included a service and seems quite reasonable for what was involved.

Indeed, I’ve found Sinn servicing for the UX cheap and quite quick, batteries should last 7 years. As for the bubble, someone described it as ‘inevitable’ it isn’t, mine never had one.

Thanks for all the replies chaps

Pros and cons for each, hmmm.

If Sinn did a titanium version of the UX, that would be spot on for me I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies chaps

Pros and cons for each, hmmm.

If Sinn did a titanium version of the UX, that would be spot on for me I reckon.
    I wear a T2 now, and yeah, I can see a titanium UX would be perfect.

Master
    UX definitely. HAQ, mine loses 2 seconds pa. Incredible legibility, bombproof and versatile.

Craftsman
    Owned a couple of UX’s.
    So nice not to have to wind it when you haven’t worn it for a few days.
    Infact, I haven’t worn it for 3 weeks.
    Battery was replaced late last year. So should be good till 2027 and beyond.
    No bubbles in either.
    Early versions used a different oil that sometimes discoloured. Later ones should be ok.

Last edited by Metalic Mud; 12th April 2020 at 09:05.

Sinn use a HAQ ETA movement for a couple of reasons, its accuracy and the fact it has a low torque drivetrain. The benefits of the former are obvious (my old UX was accurate to within a few seconds pa), the low torque aspect extends the service life to around 7 years - Sinn were aware that only they could service it and that it would be more expensive than a regular quartz, hence choosing a movement that extends the service interval. My UX never suffered from the bubble issue, most don't.

OP - you won't go wrong with either, IMO. Both use submarine steel for the case and bezel (the UX bezel is also tegimented), both have easy to read dials and handsets and both will be extremely well built. It'll come down to if you have an aesthetic and/or movement preference.

Here is a link to my Sinn UX review I did on my YouTube channel if it helps

https://youtu.be/4STWvUjXNm4

I've never had a bubble in my UX and battery life is around 5/8 years, when I had to send my UX back to Sinn it took only 3 weeks
    Plus the Service cost was only €275 euro in total, and that included shipping there and back which Sinn took care of

Craftsman
    Never owned a Damasko, but I'm a big fan of the Sinn UX. It's such a no-nonsense-tool-watch. Thermocompensated quartz, long battery life, durable, and excellent customer service from Sinn, in my experience, also.

Master

Never had a bubble and battery still going strong after almost 6 years, oh and not a mark on it after four different owners, this being my second time round.

Master
    In a similar vein, another excellent option would be a Tutima DI 300 diver. The only downside is that they take some tracking down, but the build quality is right up there with Sinn/Damasko.

I much prefer the looks of the Damasko DSub range over the Sinn. I think the DSub watches have a Teutonic handsomeness to them, whereas this Sinn looks too austere for my tastes.
    Last edited by Dougal; 12th April 2020 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post

https://youtu.be/4STWvUjXNm4

Thanks for the link Bazza.

I'd actually already seen and enjoyed your review, which was why I sent you a friends request the other day to chat about it

Looks like I've just agreed a deal to buy a UX!

Kind regards
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Quite nice reading this thread while having your video on split screen. Some TZ overload going on. Good video and nice of the people in the comments to give constructive feedback and corrections, helping rather than piling in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post

Never had a bubble and battery still going strong after almost 6 years, oh and not a mark on it after four different owners, this being my second time round.

Looking great, Paul!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking great, Paul!
    Thanks Matt, good to have it back, do you still have yours?
    Hope you’re keeping well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Thanks Matt, good to have it back, do you still have yours?
    Hope you’re keeping well.
    I sold my standard UX sometime last year as was only really wearing the SDR & decided I didn’t require two. You know where the SDR went lol, brilliant looking version of it.

All good here thanks, hope your household is also.

Master
    Anyone done a Damasko vs Sinn lume comparison?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Anyone done a Damasko vs Sinn lume comparison?
    Not that I have a photo of but the Sinn was streets ahead. Much much brighter and lasted longer.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I was offered a UX, so I bought it!...glad I did, very impressed and really liking/enjoying it.

I would like to try the SDR version though as I tend to prefer white on black bezel for legibility!

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    I was offered a UX, so I bought it!...glad I did, very impressed and really liking/enjoying it.

I would like to try the SDR version though as I tend to prefer white on black bezel for legibility!

Cheers
    Congratulations, they are fantastic watches.

I've had both & also prefer the SDR that Paul is currently 'borrowing' lol.

I bet you are sitting there & staring at the dial from really acute angles and seeing how legible the dial is; something I never got bored of!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Not that I have a photo of but the Sinn was streets ahead. Much much brighter and lasted longer.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good to know, ta!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Congratulations, they are fantastic watches.

I've had both & also prefer the SDR that Paul is currently 'borrowing' lol.

I bet you are sitting there & staring at the dial from really acute angles and seeing how legible the dial is; something I never got bored of!

Thanks, I've been wearing it every day and reckon I'll continue to do so; great daily-tool

I'll reckon keep a look out for an SDR to try!

Yes, I have been doing that on occasion - sent a friend a pic at an acute angle and he said... "Now THAT is cool"

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Quite nice reading this thread while having your video on split screen. Some TZ overload going on. Good video and nice of the people in the comments to give constructive feedback and corrections, helping rather than piling in.
    Glad you liked the video Sir :)

There are some interesting comments as you said and they still keep coming which I like to be fair
    I was wearing my UX yesterday

I think a Sinn UX SDR on silicone is inevitable at some point. Both of these (stolen from IG) look great.

^^had one of these on the bracelet- great watch and one I’ll probably replace

Master
    Prompted by the thread I have been looking at both, but...

1. Isn't the Sinn a fair bit more expensive (am I missing soemthing?).
    2. The bezels are equally tough, correct?
    3. Am I sad for still geeking out at the whole Damasko crown tube assembly?
    4. Anyone know a good reason Damasko didn't use their ice hardening on the case?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Prompted by the thread I have been looking at both, but...

1. Isn't the Sinn a fair bit more expensive (am I missing soemthing?).
    2. The bezels are equally tough, correct?
    3. Am I sad for still geeking out at the whole Damasko crown tube assembly?
    4. Anyone know a good reason Damasko didn't use their ice hardening on the case?

1. Yes, the Sinn is a bit more expensive; a D-Sub sold on ebay recently in the US for around 1k iirc, but have seen them FS over there for around £800. The Sinn seem to be around £1500 plus.

2. I would think so

3. Maybe .....and I would think that the Sinn set-up would be just as tough.

4. As far as I know there was no need to as the D-Sub is made from German Submarine steel (as is the Sinn). This was used for it's corrosion resistance properties.

Wearing my UX on bracelet now as my daily and loving it. I thought it would be too heavy, but it's very comfortable and I love the size and fit too!

Cheers