closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaving Paraphernalia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ll just get a decent quality synthetic brush. Badger or boar isn’t for me.
    A good attitude, and synthetics work just as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I’ll just get a decent quality synthetic brush. Badger or boar isn’t for me.
    if on your quest you need one of these .. a Yaqi red mrble

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YAQI-Synthe.../dp/B07Q3H2QQR

send me your address...and ill post it off...i never use it and only tried it once as a palm lathe to see what the hype was

Master
    I'm currently using a Benny's Of London synthetic shaving brush. It was a Christmas gift and replaced an aged bristle brush. It has worked better than expected. I fins it makes and distributes lather just as well, but not as good at massaging the face and lifting the bear. I still get a good shave, but my next brush will be bristle.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm currently using a Benny's Of London synthetic shaving brush. It was a Christmas gift and replaced an aged bristle brush. It has worked better than expected. I fins it makes and distributes lather just as well, but not as good at massaging the face and lifting the bear. I still get a good shave, but my next brush will be bristle.
    then consider a Semogue...fine brushes once broken in

I too went down this rabbit hole soon after I joined this forum.

DE shaving is a cheap as chips hobby and great fun.

After several years meandering I now normally use;

Soap - ProRaso Green; lovely fresh smell.
    Brush - I think this is an over rated aspect, I have 3 brushes and the one I normally use is not branded.
    Razor - Merkur 25C at the moment / Muhle R41 when brave / The Merkur Futur knock off on Amazon is also excelelnt
    Blades - Feathers mainly but I really like Personna
    AfterShave - Aqua di Parma

As said in a previous thread, I've just got my Murker Vision back in action and boy does it shave brilliantly. It cuts through so smoothly better than anything I've used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    if on your quest you need one of these .. a Yaqi red mrble

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YAQI-Synthe.../dp/B07Q3H2QQR

send me your address...and ill post it off...i never use it and only tried it once as a palm lathe to see what the hype was
    Hi there. That’s a really kind gesture. PM sent.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi Fraz01
    How do you rate the Extro Cosmesi aftershave? , had a look at the reviews and it gets positive feedback with some great smells at a very good price.
    may will try some along with some Shaving cream , thanks also to dkpw for the link to shaving time website

Regards
    Arthur I am very sorry I completely missed this question.

I like it a lot, nice fresh scent which seems to last a bit longer than other aftershaves. Doesn’t sting too much either if I get a weeper or two and a great price.
    I’ve not tried any of the other scents or any of the creams but the shave forum I follow on Facebook gives them very good feedback so I wouldn’t hesitate.

Craftsman
    Hi there. That’s a really kind gesture. PM sent.
    packed ready to go

Master
    packed ready to go
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Arthur I am very sorry I completely missed this question.

I like it a lot, nice fresh scent which seems to last a bit longer than other aftershaves. Doesn’t sting too much either if I get a weeper or two and a great price.
    I’ve not tried any of the other scents or any of the creams but the shave forum I follow on Facebook gives them very good feedback so I wouldn’t hesitate.
    Hi Fraz
    No problem , i went ahead and ordered some after you blanked me i went for the Extro Bergamotto di Calabrini which is the same as Acqua di Parma , Bergamot and Lemon very fresh and clean it is a EDT so has good longevity ( it is a splash though no spray, but i brought a atomiser and put the aftershave in that so i can spray it on) £11 for 125ml very good value they have a wide range as well.
    Also brought a jar of Cella Almond shave cream, although i don't use shave cream much it is easy to use with a brush to put on very thick and great smell
    £6.50 for a 100ml jar.
    To be honest though the best item i brought from them was Stirling Post shave liquid, splash this on after you have shaved, hit of orange then menthol really cools the skin and very cold...£12.00 for 200ml great buy

Last edited by arthurDALEY; 7th June 2020 at 13:23.

Master
    You've inspired me. Ordered the almond shaving cream and the Extro Bergamotto di Calabrin. I'll try the Stirling Post Shave once my Taylor's bamb has run out.

Master
    then consider a Semogue...fine brushes once broken in
    Thanks, had not heard of that make. I'll make a note.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    You've inspired me. Ordered the almond shaving cream and the Extro Bergamotto di Calabrin. I'll try the Stirling Post Shave once my Taylor's bamb has run out.
    Good choice sir, i wouldn't post unless i was a fan i am a fussy bugger with stuff like this but very impressed with it , the post shave is as well as using a Balm, it is a cooling agent really but they do the matching Balm as well, let us know how you get on...

Cheers

Hi Fraz
    No problem , i went ahead and ordered some after you blanked me i went for the Extro Bergamotto di Calabrini which is the same as Acqua di Parma , Bergamot and Lemon very fresh and clean it is a EDT so has good longevity ( it is a splash though no spray, but i brought a atomiser and put the aftershave in that so i can spray it on) £11 for 125ml very good value they have a wide range as well.
    Also brought a jar of Cella Almond shave cream, although i don't use shave cream much it is easy to use with a brush to put on very thick and great smell
    £6.50 for a 100ml jar.
    To be honest though the best item i brought from them was Stirling Post shave liquid, splash this on after you have shaved hit of orange the menthol really cools the skin and very cold...£12.00 for 200ml great buy

Can I ask where you ordered them from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Woodacre
    Yes this is the site https://shavingtime.co.uk/
    They have a lot more on the site and the webchat messaging is good if you need him ( David ) to explain any of the products to you
    Last edited by arthurDALEY; 7th June 2020 at 15:07.

SHAVE TIME 10% OFF

UPDATE........I WAS SPEAKING TO DAVID @ (SHAVETIME) AND IF YOU PUT CODE TZUK YOU WILL GET 10% OFF YOUR ORDER

Cheers

Wayne
    Last edited by arthurDALEY; 7th June 2020 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That last picture makes my testicles retract just imagining the state my face would be in after using it.
    This YouTube clip shows what happens when you use a kamisori / Feather shavette for the first time, when you have no idea what you're doing. It is literally painful to watch.

https://youtu.be/SP47w9Z9GGk
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Just ordered the various Orange Chill products and a new brush...looking forward to trying them.

Used the TZUK code, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for organising.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Just ordered the various Orange Chill products and a new brush...looking forward to trying them.

Used the TZUK code, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for organising.
    No problem b11 , hope you like them

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    This YouTube clip shows what happens when you use a kamisori / Feather shavette for the first time, when you have no idea what you're doing. It is literally painful to watch.

https://youtu.be/SP47w9Z9GGk
    He was lucky he didn’t cut himself a lot worse than he did. Towards the end he was doing an upwards against the grain pass under his nose and a slip there would have seen the razor embedded in his nose. I used to shave with straights and they were not as forgiving as his shavette was.

Craftsman
    I personally prefer Gillette Silver Blue blades.

I also recommend giving single edge shaving a go. Had some great shaves with a 1912 razor and gem blades. A bit less forgiving though.

Craftsman
    for a single blade ...my daily goto in steel..very close shave

https://supply.co/products/the-singl...30951201800276

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    He was lucky he didn’t cut himself a lot worse than he did. Towards the end he was doing an upwards against the grain pass under his nose and a slip there would have seen the razor embedded in his nose. I used to shave with straights and they were not as forgiving as his shavette was.
    You're right, his angle is all wrong. I've used a shavette only once, and I know that. I like the idea of using a kamisori but the outcome would probably be similar to that in the video. DE For me!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Finally found a disposable razor that works more than 2 or 3 times.

Schick quattro titanium.

Head and face three times a week, same unit since the start of March.

Rob.

No problem b11 , hope you like them
    Would thoroughly recommend the Orange Chill products... like being slapped by the Tango Man 😄

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Would thoroughly recommend the Orange Chill products... like being slapped by the Tango Man 
    Good way of describing it b11 !, i was sceptical when i brought it , but as you said a big cold slap in the face....

Cheers

Journeyman
    I have been shaving with a DE for about the last 8 years now. I moved away from the Mach 3 as I was annoyed with paying £10 for a couple of heads.

I’m now a convert to OneBlade.. it gives me the best shave I have had with very little irritation. I have the core and the genesis. The genesis is new so still getting used to it.. It’s a very efficient razor more so than the core which I love.

I also have a couple of DE and an feather artist club as featured in the video above. But I now prefer the quick simplicity and efficiencies of the OneBlade system. I think this is a happy medium between cartridges and DE shaving.

I use a badger Kent brush I have a silver tip and best brushes but use a synthetic when travelling as they don’t dry as well unless left on the counter for a good 24 hours.

Soaps for me have to be hard rather than creams...I do like the Kent shave soaps (Mitchell’s wool fat) but love the Stirling soaps. I stocked up last time I went to US but see now they are distributed in the U.K.. the smells of them are great and leave the skin very protected

Journeyman
    Hi Woodacre
    Yes this is the site https://shavingtime.co.uk/
    They have a lot more on the site and the webchat messaging is good if you need him ( David ) to explain any of the products to you
    Are the Stirling soaps or creams from these guys? The images look like creams but under the soap section. By soap I mean hard until lathered?

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    Are the Stirling soaps or creams from these guys? The images look like creams but under the soap section. By soap I mean hard until lathered?
    Hi L8
    I have a Stirling Shave Soap , the Black Cherry one , and yes you have to lather it up with your brush before applying, as in this video ( Using Stirilng Soap) not that you want to watch it all but from about 3 minutes in

Cheers

Master
    merkur futur set to 2,
    gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge (yellow packets)
    johnsons aloe vera oil
    soap is currently razorock artisan lavender (boy it lathers fast!)
    3 quid brush from ebay

finish with an alum block, a splash of davidoff cool water and sainsabury's little ones baby lotion

I've been doing this de for 20 months now, ans wish I'd started 30 years ago. Just bought 1000 blades for £79. I'll be about 80 before I need more, if I get there! I spent 12-16 months trying about 30 differnt types of blade before settling on the gillettes

Oh I also use palmolive soap and have some arko to try.
    Last edited by LondonNeil; 14th June 2020 at 12:43.

I was well into this as an obsessive hobby for a time, had many many of every possible component to the shave, but ultimately settled on one particular setup which I've used every day for as long as I can remember now, a few years:

Rockwell 6S razor (I use plate R4 daily)
    Taylors of Bond Street Peppermint Cream
    Gillette Silver Blue blades (prefer Polsilver but seem expensive now)
    Yaqi synthetic brush
    Clean and clear moisturiser

I don't see me ever changing from any of this, any slight deviation and I can break out in geriatric acne for some reason. Best of all, it's extremely economical, none of these products are very expensive but it works well for me, and I've tried things from all price levels in the past. Do love some Wickhams soap but only once in a while as is clogs my pores (la de daa) so the tub I have has lasted years.

It's an easy hobby to get lost in though, great fun... Keep thinking I'd quite like a nicer razor, they're a buy-it-for-life item if you can find just the right one for you.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Only been DE shaving for a little more than a week now. I’d previously avoided this method for fear of making a hash of it and cutting myself even worse than I manage with disposables. But five shaves in and I find I’m cutting myself much less than I did before. I think it’s a case of having to take a little more time and using shorter passes across my skin. Less shaving rash too. I’m a convert!

Only used my new Gillette DE razor thus far. It’s okay but heavy, probably too heavy. I haven’t used my new Jagger DE89 yet, but will probably give it a go later this week. The DE89 Is considerably lighter than the Gillette and comes with a Feather blade. See if a different razor and blade makes much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I was well into this as an obsessive hobby for a time, had many many of every possible component to the shave, but ultimately settled on one particular setup which I've used every day for as long as I can remember now, a few years:

Rockwell 6S razor (I use plate R4 daily)
    Taylors of Bond Street Peppermint Cream
    Gillette Silver Blue blades (prefer Polsilver but seem expensive now)
    Yaqi synthetic brush
    Clean and clear moisturiser

I don't see me ever changing from any of this, any slight deviation and I can break out in geriatric acne for some reason. Best of all, it's extremely economical, none of these products are very expensive but it works well for me, and I've tried things from all price levels in the past. Do love some Wickhams soap but only once in a while as is clogs my pores (la de daa) so the tub I have has lasted years.

It's an easy hobby to get lost in though, great fun... Keep thinking I'd quite like a nicer razor, they're a buy-it-for-life item if you can find just the right one for you.

Polsilver were the best IMO. I used to buy them by the 1000 and sadly for me I sold most of them to make a small amount.
    Next time I look on ebay and they tripled in price these days and discontinued.
    Luckily I kept several hundred though and trying to make them last lol....
    I don't know what it is but I just like them and get less nicks with them than others....

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Luckily I kept several hundred though and trying to make them last lol....
    I don't know what it is but I just like them and get less nicks with them than others....
    I have a few polsilver left too yet find it so hard to bring myself to use them as they're the last I'll ever have probably and nothing quite compares. I've tried easily 30+ other brands and they stand above them all, persona used to be good also but the ones I last got (in the 100 box from amazon US) were poor in comparison and I've given up on them. Silver blues are the best I can find but they're only say 80% as good as polsilver to me.

What other brands do you like?