closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 81

Thread: Current eBay scams - please report..

  1. #1
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754

    Current eBay scams - please report..

    Seems there is a lot of scams coming up at the moment with everybody at home, here is an Ed White Speedmaster on eBay for £3500 that is a blatant scam, watch was sold last month in Chile.

    I reported it but its still up, please post up scams so know one here gets their pants pulled down

    The scam watch - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...53.m1438.l2649

    What looked to be the original sale - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...p2047675.l2557

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283822517041


    This is a fake Hydroconquest from jimfig007.
    He sells a lot of fake Hydroconquests and also sells Tags, Omegas and Seikos.
    The tells on this fake hydro are the bezel being 90į out of position, the font on the dials being too thick and the lume pips looking like fried eggs.The caseback is also wrong.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    7,300
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283822517041


    This is a fake Hydroconquest from jimfig007.
    He sells a lot of fake Hydroconquests and also sells Tags, Omegas and Seikos.
    The tells on this fake hydro are the bezel being 90į out of position, the font on the dials being too thick and the lume pips looking like fried eggs.The caseback is also wrong.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Since many of us are stuck at home - we should all report it...

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Since many of us are stuck at home - we should all report it...
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that.
    It's too late for me and the fake I ended up with but it can stop other people ending up with a dud.
    The annoying thing is, had I more patience I could have bought a better watch off a watch forum sales section.
    £530 isn't even reasonable for a real one.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283827058966

    This is another jimfig007 fake hydro, this time in blue, but another 39mm model with the same tells and a quartz
    The sellers of these fakes used to show the movement which was slightly different than a real one.....the arrow showing the crown stem release was slightly wrong.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    203
    Thanks for sharing

  7. #7
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Since many of us are stuck at home - we should all report it...
    I've done that, but am in two minds about it. Surely it should be up to the watch manufacturers to protect their trademarks and police what is advertised on eBay? They will have the resources to do this, and will have much more clout with eBay (whether through the VeRO - Verified Rights Owner - scheme or otherwise) than a bunch of blokes on an internet forum.

    For those who do want to report (and assuming that you're viewing eBay in a browser and not on a telephone):


    • There will be a Report item link on each listing - it's on the right hand side, below the photograph and the delivery details, but above the Description and Postage and Payments section.
    • In the Report category, choose Copyright and trademark
    • In the Reason for report, choose Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
    • In the Detailed reason, choose Counterfeit, fake, or replica item
    • Click on Continue
    • You will be asked to give a Brief Description - you can use a maximum of 100 characters. It would be really helpful if people who report fakes in this thread also give a brief (less than 100 character) description that we could just cut'n'ppaste when we're reporting an item.

  8. #8
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402209652837

    Hereís one thereís Something not quite right about this one ;-)

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I've done that, but am in two minds about it. Surely it should be up to the watch manufacturers to protect their trademarks and police what is advertised on eBay? They will have the resources to do this, and will have much more clout with eBay (whether through the VeRO - Verified Rights Owner - scheme or otherwise) than a bunch of blokes on an internet forum.

    For those who do want to report (and assuming that you're viewing eBay in a browser and not on a telephone):


    • There will be a Report item link on each listing - it's on the right hand side, below the photograph and the delivery details, but above the Description and Postage and Payments section.
    • In the Report category, choose Copyright and trademark
    • In the Reason for report, choose Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
    • In the Detailed reason, choose Counterfeit, fake, or replica item
    • Click on Continue
    • You will be asked to give a Brief Description - you can use a maximum of 100 characters. It would be really helpful if people who report fakes in this thread also give a brief (less than 100 character) description that we could just cut'n'ppaste when we're reporting an item.
    I've been in touch with Longines.The first time they showed a bit of interest including telling me to buy from an AD.
    The second time I didn't even get a reply

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402209652837

    Hereís one thereís Something not quite right about this one ;-)
    You can make out the etched coronet in pic' no. 10 though. CN these be faked now?

    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    You can make out the etched coronet in pic' no. 10 though. CN these be faked now?

    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Look at the lume at 3-6-9 itís wrong
    Also the crystal is wrong
    From the side a genuine crystal is green with no sight of any clear/opaque edge whatsoever
    Itís the biggest giveaway
    Also the fit of the bracelet is terrible and polishing of the full watch the same -terrible

    No doubt whatsoever itís fake

  12. #12
    Journeyman Thomps68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    You can make out the etched coronet in pic' no. 10 though. CN these be faked now?

    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Which Milgauss don't have , or so I believe.

  13. #13
    😂 how did I miss that

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    2,457
    Yep! And if you Google the (badly engraved) serial on the rehaut: M742138, there are a few links that show similar fake, eg, https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/438186238748693306/

    He says " ... purchased from Watchfinder in 2015 (happy to provide original receipt to accompany watch if required)" so maybe we should ask for a copy of the receipt!

    Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    Look at the lume at 3-6-9 it’s wrong
    Also the crystal is wrong
    From the side a genuine crystal is green with no sight of any clear/opaque edge whatsoever
    It’s the biggest giveaway
    Also the fit of the bracelet is terrible and polishing of the full watch the same -terrible

    No doubt whatsoever it’s fake

  15. #15
    Master wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W.Berkshire
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Seems there is a lot of scams coming up at the moment with everybody at home, here is an Ed White Speedmaster on eBay for £3500 that is a blatant scam, watch was sold last month in Chile.

    I reported it but its still up, please post up scams so know one here gets their pants pulled down

    The scam watch - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...53.m1438.l2649

    What looked to be the original sale - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...p2047675.l2557

    Well spotted Martyn

    I've reported it as well.

    Cheers.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    2,457
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Well spotted Martyn

    I've reported it as well.

    Cheers.

    #MeToo

    The bizarre thing is, when they do delete fake listings, they never seem to delete the fraudster's account so quite often the fake gets relisted. More so on Gumtree where someone has relisted a £2,000 116610LV as often as twice a day for the last couple of weeks.

  17. #17
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,410
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The bizarre thing is, when they do delete fake listings, they never seem to delete the fraudster's account so quite often the fake gets relisted.
    Yes, it's almost as if eBay is happy to see fake items sell so as to collect the fees...

    I suspect that the vast majority of fakes that get sold are never returned, so it is in undeniably eBay's financial interest to allow fake sales to succeed. Note, I am not suggesting that eBay are intentionally doing this!

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches View Post
    The description reads like broken English too which is often a giveaway with scammers from foreign countries pretending to be a UK seller.

  20. #20
    Yes, agreed, and not much recent feedback to go by either. An extremely inactive account and most likely hacked. Quite common now.

  21. #21
    Master wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W.Berkshire
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Well spotted Martyn

    I've reported it as well.

    Cheers.

    Had an email from ebay saying they couldn't investigate as the item had already been removed - but it's still showing in my 'watch' list!

  22. #22
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    171
    I was looking at this Hydroconquest the other day.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283832167574

    Bezel lume pip looked too big and serial number partially obscured on case back. Engraving on the bracelet also looked laser etched, or at least too shallow. I asked the seller about these points and if they could provide any assurance that it wasn't a fake. Unsurprisingly I received no reply. Seems like there are a lot of fake Hydroconquests around so take care.

    I notice the same seller is also now selling a Tissot but don't know this model well enough to comment...

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283838322691

    Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Well ...Iím currently in dialogue with my linked seller and heís adamant itís genuine and purchased from watchfinder
    Please can others advise him ...
    But let him down gently please

    To be honest it needs reporting by others as someone will get scammed otherwise

    Iíve also made him aware of this link
    He is more than welcome to come and defend the authenticity of his watch here if he cares ?
    Last edited by speedypro1111; 8th April 2020 at 20:34.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    I was looking at this Hydroconquest the other day.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283832167574

    Bezel lume pip looked too big and serial number partially obscured on case back. Engraving on the bracelet also looked laser etched, or at least too shallow. I asked the seller about these points and if they could provide any assurance that it wasn't a fake. Unsurprisingly I received no reply. Seems like there are a lot of fake Hydroconquests around so take care.

    I notice the same seller is also now selling a Tissot but don't know this model well enough to comment...

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283838322691

    Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
    Well spotted, I've been concentrating on the quartz Hydros and not been looking at the autos.
    You're right the lume pip is awful.
    Plus I've never seen a caseback like that before
    Usually when I look at the fake sellers accounts, they buy from sellers in Hongkong who have lots of negative feedback.
    Last edited by RD200; 9th April 2020 at 07:47.

  25. #25
    Journeyman SteveM112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    312
    Just remember the picture on EBay or any other selling platform could be of the real thing..
    But what you receive could be something very close to the real thing..
    Be careful out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Had an email from ebay saying they couldn't investigate as the item had already been removed - but it's still showing in my 'watch' list!
    All good Martin, they have now removed it at last but it was up for a long time with lots of extra bids after reporting.

    While there are fake watches on eBay this looked a genuine watch, basically the images and description were ripped off another listing, in this case use Google reverse image search, here is a link of how to use it -

    https://support.google.com/websearch...op&hl=en&oco=0

  27. #27
    Anyone buying watches on ebay need their heads examining! ADs and SC is the safest bet

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Anyone buying watches on ebay need their heads examining! ADs and SC is the safest bet

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    That was the conclusion I came to when it dawned on me I'd been done.
    No more Ebay watches for me

  29. #29
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Anyone buying watches on ebay need their heads examining! ADs and SC is the safest bet
    That's bit of a sensationalist statement Curtis, do your homework, use your common sense and back your payment up with Paypal, not everybody is a scammer..

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    No sign of jimfig007 yesterday.Whether he's been shut down or not who knows ??
    The seller from Austria goldenp_82 had a dodgy looking Seamaster Quartz that ended suddenly.
    They sell lots of Tags but if they're fake they good and the Aquaracers are impossible to distinguish from genuine
    Last edited by RD200; 13th April 2020 at 08:45.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254563175362

    Another fake 39mm Hydroconquest quartz with all the usual tells.

  32. #32
    Pretty obvious scam but thought it worth posting. Was listing the same items a week ago from a US ebay account, now listed from a UK account. Clearly hacking accounts to list on a BIN price by bank transfer. Ludicrous BIN prices.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Wristwatc...sjewelleryshop

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches View Post

    Same scammer using another account for this watch.


    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT...4AAOSw8NNeiZJm

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254567122539
    Another fake Hydroconquest and and another seller who's got away with selling a few.

  35. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    london uk
    Posts
    52
    i sold my auto longines hydroconquest on ebay just make sure you ask the seller for plenty of pics and ask questions a genuine seller will more more than willing to answer ..

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    i sold my auto longines hydroconquest on ebay just make sure you ask the seller for plenty of pics and ask questions a genuine seller will more more than willing to answer ..
    That Hydroconquest auto was the only one I've seen on Ebay but it was awful.
    The 39mm quartz that are still being sold aren't even listed as that size and the casebacks are off 39mm autos.

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    251
    All these watches being sold by the same seller seem to be a bit suspect.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lartdesge...p2047675.l2562

  38. #38
    Lots where accounts have been hacked but you can usually tell.

  39. #39
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754

    Current eBay scams - please report..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post
    All these watches being sold by the same seller seem to be a bit suspect.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lartdesge...p2047675.l2562
    Good spot, itís a bit more concerning when you see itís a lot of ďvintage RolexĒ heí is selling, add in lots of high end camera gear, vintage Stratocasterís, astronomy equipment and he is going for it, from the images they look quite good so may catch people out but the description is the big giveaway!









    Last edited by murkeywaters; 25th April 2020 at 08:08.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Good spot, itís a bit more concerning when you see itís a lot of ďvintage RolexĒ heí is selling, add in lots of high end camera gear, vintage Stratocasterís, astronomy equipment and he is going for it, from the images they look quite good so may catch people out but the description is the big giveaway!









    Have you reported them ??

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Have you reported them ??

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    I have, and in the limited explanation your allowed to add I mentioned the seller does not want bids or buy it now through eBay, hopefully this should get his account removed pretty quick..

  42. #42
    Master wadsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W.Berkshire
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have, and in the limited explanation your allowed to add I mentioned the seller does not want bids or buy it now through eBay, hopefully this should get his account removed pretty quick..

    I'm sure I reported the 'same' seller a couple of weeks back, but he's back again with the same ad, photos and stock!

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have, and in the limited explanation your allowed to add I mentioned the seller does not want bids or buy it now through eBay, hopefully this should get his account removed pretty quick..
    I reported it and put a bid in. That way, when its taken down you find out by a cancelled bid report from ebay.

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I reported it and put a bid in. That way, when its taken down you find out by a cancelled bid report from ebay.
    Thanks for that.
    Ive always wondered how you could find out.
    I've reported numerous fake Hydros and 90% of the time nothing happened.
    I reported a fake Seamaster a month ago and it went pretty soon after.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    251
    The seller has 680 items up for auction with an average price of at least £2k (when factoring in the high end watches).

    He could potentially net over £1 Mil.

    Itís concerning how many bids these watches have already got, unless they are all from TZ members.

  46. #46
    Craftsman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    692
    I see jimfig007 is still at it...

    Also - we all know Aliexpress is a minefield, but I ordered a cheap beater from "Allbai Store" on there . . . . and received a cheap sh***y phone mic. They deny all responsibility and Alibaba have decided that my claim is invalid despite providing copious dated pics etc. Their claims/refunds procedure is labyrinthine and obfuscatory as you might predict, so that's a firm "never again" from me.

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I see jimfig007 is still at it...

    Also - we all know Aliexpress is a minefield, but I ordered a cheap beater from "Allbai Store" on there . . . . and received a cheap sh***y phone mic. They deny all responsibility and Alibaba have decided that my claim is invalid despite providing copious dated pics etc. Their claims/refunds procedure is labyrinthine and obfuscatory as you might predict, so that's a firm "never again" from me.
    Yeah, jimfig007 just wont go away or goldenp_82.
    The 2 of them sell scores of old Tag F1's, Longines Hydroconquests and Conquests.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

    Here's another one from Austria but a seller I haven't seen before.



    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153909974619
    Last edited by RD200; 27th April 2020 at 18:47.

  48. #48
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,410
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post
    All these watches being sold by the same seller seem to be a bit suspect.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lartdesge...p2047675.l2562
    As far as I can tell, this vendor now has no watches for sale.

    Does anyone else concur?

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As far as I can tell, this vendor now has no watches for sale.

    Does anyone else concur?
    I couldn't find any either, just old coins.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As far as I can tell, this vendor now has no watches for sale.

    Does anyone else concur?
    I think the account was compromised, with a scammer listing items with his own contact details until he was found out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information