closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What happened to the Smiths Military PRS-29 in 40mm?

Journeyman

What happened to the Smiths Military PRS-29 in 40mm?

Hi all,

New to the forum but no stranger to watches having been on SCWF for 14 years and a collection of around 70 or so. As times gone by my tastes have changed and I like the varied outlook of TZ-UK and the banter on the boards.

But back to the OP, I've eyeing a Smiths military for quite a while (having previously owned and traded a vintage one) but 36mm is a little small for my wrist. Does anyone know why the 40mm version was discontinued and will it come back again?

Do they ever come up for sale on the sales corner?

Otherjohn

The PRS-29b was 39mm. No longer available. They do come up for sale now and again on here and on e-bay, but usually sell quickly. The early models with the higher dome crystal are the most desirable.

Craftsman
    The PRS-29A wears larger than the 36mm might suggest, and that would be to a pretty long lug to lug length. I really think it wears quite wonderfully so don't sell it short in that respect. Awesome watch, but I prefer a 34-36mm watch.

I wanted the 29b at first but after a lot of research I went with the 29a. As others have said, it wears larger than you think, mainly due to the lack of bezel (therefore bigger dial) and long lug length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got an 8 inch wrist and would happily wear either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When the PRS-29b first came out, I wanted so much to love it... but I finally decided that some shapes just don't work when the dimensions change.

The 29b felt long (lug to lug) and thin, whereas the original Smiths Military was short and stout.

Journeyman
    Thanks for that information and its good to know they do come up for sale from time to time. I did find the original too small for my wrist or maybe my style but I'm willing to give one a try in 36mm.

I'll keep an eye for one once Ive eventually got the post count to view the SC.

Otherjohn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Thanks for that information and its good to know they do come up for sale from time to time. I did find the original too small for my wrist or maybe my style but I'm willing to give one a try in 36mm.

I'll keep an eye for one once Ive eventually got the post count to view the SC.

Otherjohn
    I think that you will find that the size is well proportioned because it has a long lug to lug length which makes it wear larger than the 36mm sounds.

Journeyman
    I’m strongly of the opinion that the 39mm is a fantastic size! One of my favourites..

I’ve had a Prs-29b double dome twice, the first bought new from Eddie, the second from a forum heads up about one for sale on EBay and also a 29a mk1. Both models are superb quality and both looked great on my 7 3/4 inch wrist.

This is my current 29b double dome, 200 were made of these and then 200 of the flatter bombe crystal making a total production run of 400.

The double dome sapphire crystal version adds character, giving the look of an acrylic crystal and personally I prefer the size of the dial on the 29b to the 29a.

The quality of both watches is as good as other watches that cost many, many times more good luck in your search!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is my current 29b double dome, 200 were made of these and then 200 of the flatter bombe crystal making a total production run of 400.

The double dome sapphire crystal version adds character, giving the look of an acrylic crystal and personally I prefer the size of the dial on the 29b to the 29a.

my serial number is less than 200/10 is that then a double dome?

where the second batch also 1 to 200 or 200 to 400?

which is the clearer crystal when reading the dial?

agree with the above though it is a superior watch and better for being a hand wind.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

my serial number is less than 200/10 is that then a double dome?

where the second batch also 1 to 200 or 200 to 400?

which is the clearer crystal when reading the dial?

agree with the above though it is a superior watch and better for being a hand wind.
    Yours should be a Double Dome as it’s below 201, I’m 99% sure the serial number continued to 400, a look through sales corner might confirm this.

The Beauty of the double dome type of crystal is the looks without dial distortion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Yours should be a Double Dome as it’s below 201, I’m 99% sure the serial number continued to 400, a look through sales corner might confirm this.

The Beauty of the double dome type of crystal is the looks without dial distortion.

thank you for the info, it really is a great watch.

Journeyman

I’ve had a Prs-29b double dome twice, the first bought new from Eddie, the second from a forum heads up about one for sale on EBay and also a 29a mk1. Both models are superb quality and both looked great on my 7 3/4 inch wrist.

The quality of both watches is as good as other watches that cost many, many times more good luck in your search!
    Hi,

Great looking watch and thanks for the useful info.

I've been offered one from the US but with current exchange rates/paypal fees and the current postage situation I sadly had to decline that offer and will wait for a UK watch to come up for sale.

As I'm not allowed on the Sales forum yet, maybe someone will give me a heads up?

Here is my original from 70'

Last edited by Otherjohn; 15th April 2020 at 23:04. Reason: typo

What happened to the Smiths Military PRS-29 in 40mm?

Very nice!!!!

Post that you are after one on the WTB category, you will have more chance getting one there than waiting on sales corner.

Journeyman
    Very nice!!!!

Post that you are after one on the WTB category, you will have more chance getting one there than waiting on sales corner.
    Thanks, but I'm a relative newbie on this forum and have to wait patiently until I'm allowed on the sales corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Thanks, but I'm a relative newbie on this forum and have to wait patiently until I'm allowed on the sales corner.
    You should be able to post a request to buy on here now

Journeyman
    You should be able to post a request to buy on here now

This is my view:

Last edited by Otherjohn; 23rd April 2020 at 10:49. Reason: accidental picture deletion