closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Home Chip Fryer Recommendations

  1. #1

    Home Chip Fryer Recommendations

    Chaps,

    Please forward home chip fryer recommendations.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,152
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bought a De'Longhi Professional Coolzone Fryer F23310Cz.

    Holds 3 liters oil and has a very handy tap to drain at the end. Good quality, bombproof.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mainly Holiday Inns around the UK
    Posts
    815
    Tefal Oleoclean all day long. Temperature control is excellent. But the big plus is that the oil cleans and drains into a plastic container. It then strips apart for really easy cleaning.

    https://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appl...g/p/7211002452

    That link is to the big one but there is also a compact version with a 2ltr capacity.

  4. #4
    Master Qatar-wol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Doha, Qatar and Warwick, England
    Posts
    7,287
    Do you need a deep fat fryer? We bought an air fryer a couple of months ago, and it's great! I'll share more if you need info.

  5. #5
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Do you need a deep fat fryer? We bought an air fryer a couple of months ago, and it's great! I'll share more if you need info.
    I believe the only issue with air fryers is they're not really suited to cooking with wet batter so are limited in what you can cook.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    My Father bought one of the first air fryers. My impression was it took ages to cook chips (for him and my Mother, wouldn't be large portions).

    Maybe modern ones are faster/better.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I believe the only issue with air fryers is they're not really suited to cooking with wet batter so are limited in what you can cook.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    This is true. We have a Tefal airfryer. Great for chips but thatís about it IMO.

    The OP was asking about deep fat fryers specifically. I assume for a reason.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hereford'ish
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I believe the only issue with air fryers is they're not really suited to cooking with wet batter so are limited in what you can cook.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    We've managed to cook Tempura in our air fryer. A bit messy but it worked.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    This is true. We have a Tefal airfryer. Great for chips but thatís about it IMO.

    The OP was asking about deep fat fryers specifically. I assume for a reason.
    Where did you read that? He was asking for chip fryer recommendations.

  10. #10
    Craftsman T1ckT0ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    572
    Had our Actifry for years now and it works great for healthy chips.

    The basket rotates the chips as it blows hot air unlike some on the market that make you take them out and shake them.

    I hate kitchen gadgets as they tend to just sit there but we must use the Actfry twice a week.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    What comes out of an actifry isnít a fried chip though, itís like a roast potato at best. If you want decent proper chips, then they have to be fried, if you want what comes out of an actifry, fine, but they dont have the taste or the texture of a fried chip.

    Having said that, McCain frozen triple Cooked gastro chips are pretty good.

  12. #12
    Craftsman Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honah Lee
    Posts
    986
    Rye Bay Plaice, fresh that day, simple flour/water/dash vinegar batter and accompanied by King Edward chips cooked twice (blanching lower heat then high heat browning just beore serving). I find King Edward chips best for taste, much better than Maris Piper IMO. Have a 20 year old Parry single fryer vey similar to this: https://www.easyequipment.com/parry-...SABEgJd1vD_BwE, these still seem to be available on ebay. Nice to have a reasonable capacity with a fryer.


    Last edited by Crispin; 6th April 2020 at 10:10.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where did you read that? He was asking for chip fryer recommendations.
    Good point, well made.

  14. #14
    Bought one of these and have been very pleased with it and it's easy to clean

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-Elec...en&tag=av0c-21

  15. #15
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Rye Bay Plaice, fresh that day, simple flour/water/dash vinegar batter and accompanied by King Edward chips cooked twice (blanching lower heat then high heat browning just beore serving). I find King Edward chips best for taste, much better than Maris Piper IMO. Have a 20 year old Parry single fryer vey similar to this: https://www.easyequipment.com/parry-...SABEgJd1vD_BwE, these still seem to be available on ebay. Nice to have a reasonable capacity with a fryer.


    They look very tasty indeed. What temp do you fry fish at?

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    What comes out of an actifry isnít a fried chip though, itís like a roast potato at best. If you want decent proper chips, then they have to be fried, if you want what comes out of an actifry, fine, but they dont have the taste or the texture of a fried chip.

    Having said that, McCain frozen triple Cooked gastro chips are pretty good.
    This is why I held off buying one. Thing with fryers is I'm only likely to use it a few times/year realistically, but when I do, I want it to be great. Never been confident air fryers will cook chips properly. Willing to be corrected though.

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    U.K. and Dubai
    Posts
    87
    I am also in the market for one of these. Like the poster above if you are going to eat fried food it needs to be perfect.

    Occasional use but would rather buy once and buy quality with easy cleaning and oil replacement.

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mainly Holiday Inns around the UK
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Having said that, McCain frozen triple Cooked gastro chips are pretty good.
    I normally turn my nose up at oven chips but the boss bought a pack of these last week and I have to say for an oven chip they are pretty flipping good.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mainly Holiday Inns around the UK
    Posts
    815
    A decent capacity deep fat fryer is fantastic if youíre having a summer bbq or party. Grab some bags of frozen chips, onion rings, deep fried brie bites, etc etc and chuck them in large serving bowls and let folk tuck in. Always a winner !

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,676
    My landlady of 45 years ago used to shallow fry chips and they were delicious. No special equipment needed and very little oil used.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,866
    Iíve had a variety over the years including the filtering type. They all stink to high heaven & we rarely use, give it away, miss it & buy another, rinse & repeat.

    Given up now!

  23. #23
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,716
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve had a variety over the years including the filtering type. They all stink to high heaven & we rarely use, give it away, miss it & buy another, rinse & repeat.

    Given up now!
    This^ now have an air fryer and use oven chips plus i do not feel safe around deep fat fryers all that oil no not for me.

    PS those Plaice look great and are my favourite “ chippy” fish
    Last edited by mart broad; 7th April 2020 at 14:21.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,866
    If I suggest an air fryer my wife will slaughter me!

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    7,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    If I suggest an air fryer my wife will slaughter me!
    I wouldn’t worry, it’ll take you as long to decide on one as it has pizza oven...

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I wouldnít worry, itíll take you as long to decide on one as it has pizza oven...
    Haha very true!!

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Glasgow'ish
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Rye Bay Plaice, fresh that day, simple flour/water/dash vinegar batter and accompanied by King Edward chips cooked twice (blanching lower heat then high heat browning just beore serving). I find King Edward chips best for taste, much better than Maris Piper IMO. Have a 20 year old Parry single fryer vey similar to this: https://www.easyequipment.com/parry-...SABEgJd1vD_BwE, these still seem to be available on ebay. Nice to have a reasonable capacity with a fryer.


    That looks so inviting

  28. #28
    TZUK strikes again !!!!
    Just ordered a Tefal Oleoclean pro after reading this thread. Coming from Ireland as no new to be found in England.
    Now for the king Edwards

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information