closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Macbook/pro - apple experts opinion

Macbook/pro - apple experts opinion

Looking for a used macbook/ pro for homeschooling and home computer.
    Preferably year 2016-17?
    Are there specific models that have been successes and others that had issues/flaws?
    We are new to macbook but we are a iphone /ipad family.
    Looking for the windows 10 option also if it has anything to do with the selection.
    Thanks for your time

I run an older i7 MacBook Pro retina 15 as my daily work laptop, and it’s fine for anything I need, and I have Windows 10 and full office running on it. I’ve never had an issue with it, apart from the charging cable wearing by the fitting and needing to be replaced, twice, but that’s over 6 years of use.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Apple had a lot of problems with the keyboards of 2016 and 17 models. Check if the one you're looking for has a new keyboard already installed. It was subject of a FoC swap, or when the original one failed, a FoC repair (like mine had).

A few weeks back, my MY 2017 MBPro's screen went down. It needed a new one. My youngest son has a part time job at an official Apple repair center, so he took the MB in his backpack and did the repair for me. Still, it was an eyewatering 400+ euro repair!!! I only had to pay the shop's purchase price and no labour costs!!! Normally, it will hit the 600 euro mark!

My oldest son's Dell is on its last legs. As a student, he has problems to 'make ends meet', financially. So we will buy him a new laptop. Certainly not an Apple product.

Don't buy any Mac with a butterfly keyboard or less than 8gb of ram. A "pro" will generally last longer than an "air" but the cost once you go from the 13" to the 15" is vast.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Don't buy any Mac with a butterfly keyboard or less than 8gb of ram. A "pro" will generally last longer than an "air" but the cost once you go from the 13" to the 15" is vast.
    Noted

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Apple had a lot of problems with the keyboards of 2016 and 17 models. Check if the one you're looking for has a new keyboard already installed. It was subject of a FoC swap, or when the original one failed, a FoC repair (like mine had).

A few weeks back, my MY 2017 MBPro's screen went down. It needed a new one. My youngest son has a part time job at an official Apple repair center, so he took the MB in his backpack and did the repair for me. Still, it was an eyewatering 400+ euro repair!!! I only had to pay the shop's purchase price and no labour costs!!! Normally, it will hit the 600 euro mark!

My oldest son's Dell is on its last legs. As a student, he has problems to 'make ends meet', financially. So we will buy him a new laptop. Certainly not an Apple product.
    I think my pro is a 2018 model and that had the keyboard problem, replaced FOC by Apple, took a week.

Apparently they replace the whole top of the chassis and put a new battery in, however my track pad still had my finger marks on and battery lasts nowhere long as it used too. (Did say 1 cycle when I picked it up).

Invoice showed something like £800 including testing changed to FOC.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I think my pro is a 2018 model and that had the keyboard problem, replaced FOC by Apple, took a week.

Apparently they replace the whole top of the chassis and put a new battery in, however my track pad still had my finger marks on and battery lasts nowhere long as it used too. (Did say 1 cycle when I picked it up).

Invoice showed something like £800 including testing changed to FOC.
    Had my 2018 pro touchbar keyboard replaced and it came back flawless. Not sure it had a battery change though?

I do think MacBooks last, my last one before this was a 2011 MacBook Air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk