closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Presage Fuyugeshiki

Seiko Presage Fuyugeshiki

I thought I'd take advantage of the extra time I have on my hands courtesy of COVID-19 to have a play around with a camera I got for Christmas (that I hadn't even unboxed before today!) and do a mini review of the Seiko 'winter scene'.

The watch itself I bought brand new (a total rarity for me) on a shopping trip to Edinburgh just before Christmas. I initially was drawn to the power reserve version but after much procrastination (and a trip to the Dome for a couple of beers) I decided I preferred the slimmer profile of the 3 hander. It was the dial texture that caught my eye in the first place. I haven't seen the GS snowflake in real life but this has a very similar feel to it. When comparing pictures of the Grand Seiko to the much cheaper presage, the texturing of mine is less refined, a bit more 'heavy handed' - probably more akin to the linen dials you see on some vintage watches. it is still mesmerising in the way it can look totally different depending on the light and the viewing angle and the delicate, downwardly curved blue second hand is a lovely touch and really pops.
    The hour and minute hands lack the almost luminescent quality that the razor edge finish some GS models have but again they are far from disappointing (especially given the £450 I paid). At first I thought they were just flat pieces of metal but they are bent up from each side towards a central ridge, increasing contrast as 1 half is invariably in shadow while the other reflects incident light. The dial markers are also highly polished and, like everything else about the watch, very well finished when observed under magnification. They are perhaps slightly more ornate than I would prefer with an elongated diamond like shape but I think they suit the style of the watch and chunkier markers would probably look too clumsy.
    The watch case measures approximately 40.5mm with a height of about 12mm, perfect dimensions for my 7.5 inch wrist. The bezel is very thin with a lovely domed (sadly hardlex rather than sapphire) crystal that gives a lovely old school look to the case profile. I'd say a good 2mm of the total height is mage up of the crystal lending the case itself a very slim, refined appearance. The case finishing itself is very simple - its completely polished. Being totally honest I would prefer some variation and I've no doubt this is a cost saving measure on the part of Seiko. However it does have the unintentional bonus that refinishing would be a very simple task if it ever becomes necessary. All that would be be required is some time and a cape cod cloth. I've had my fair share of Grand Seikos over the years, in fact when I bought this watch I was wearing a spring drive (which I have since moved on). One of the draw backs to GS ownership for me has always been slight worry over damaging the fabled zuratsu finish in daily wear and the expensive trip to Japan needed for refinishing.

The push-in crown of the presage is conical in profile, widening as it moves away from the watch case. It's a very practical design, easy to grip and wind without ever digging into the wrist. It's signed with the Seiko S which is a nice touch. The bracelet is typical Seiko fare, decent quality without being earth shattering (to be honest, I could say the same about GS bracelets). The links are held by collars and pins, easily adjustable with a cheap watch tool kit and far less fiddly than tiny screws. There are 2 rows of high polish and 3 brushed all nicely done although the hollow folded endlinks are a bit of a disappointment. The lug width is 20mm so finding leather straps to fit is easy anyway. Ticking away inside is the bog standard 4R35 movement, I've no complaints at the price point and the timekeeping is excellent. I've been re-reading the old Walt Odetts articles about movement adjustment recently, in the case of this watch the timekeeping is the result of the cancelling out of positional errors rather than exceptional watch making - during the day it gains about 5 seconds when worn and if left overnight in the crown down position it loses pretty much all of that time meaning it can be worn for weeks without any adjustment. I actually quite like having to interact with it in a certain way in order to get the best out of it, there is no doubt that spring drive is very clever technology but it left me slightly cold in that the time keeping was immune to anything I as the wearer did, whilst at the same time being less accurate than a conventional thermocompensated quartz movement.
    In summary, this is pretty much my favourite watch at the moment. I have worn it almost every day in the nearly 4 months I've had it. It's not perfect - I'd prefer solid endlinks and there is really no need for the chronograph-like subdivided minute track on a 3 hand watch but the dial is among the best I've ever seen and in some ways I think it actually surpasses Grand Seiko. I should probably explain that last comment - I do not for one minute think the presage is technically on a par in terms of watch-making or finishing but in terms of proportions and wearability I prefer it. Most of the GS I have experience of have been slightly too small in diameter, or slightly too thick, or with crowns that seem slightly too large. I think What I'm trying to say is that if Grand Seiko could make a version of this keeping the proportions the same while upgrading the movement and crystal, it would be my perfect watch. As it is this one is definitely a keeper and it's going to take something very special to prise it off my wrist. Not bad for under £500!

That is a very nice watch, well done! It looks a lot like my cocktail time, except for the dial finish and small changes to the range (crown, dial text). Amazing what Seiko manages to deliver here. Wear it in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Cocktail Time variants are excellent. Dressy, but not overly so, and superb quality for the money, and as good or better than many that cost far more! Love mine and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great review and a nice watch

Lovely dial on these and great quality for the money , thanks for sharing .