closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London & Lockdown

Master
    Blog Entries

London & Lockdown

What is it with London do they think they are in a different country or something, the pictures on the news from yesterday were shameful. If it carries on the rest of us around the country will suffer with an exercise ban. The London area has the highest death and infections rate and yet they still congregate. Beyond words.
    Last edited by hilly10; 5th April 2020 at 14:45.

I'm speechless about it.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I've been for a walk myself this morning, through local parkland. Quite a few people about, but all walking, jogging, or cycling, and all keeping a very good distance apart. No groups at all except obviously one household families.
    Get home, turn on the news, and see London parks awash with sun bathers, large groups chatting etc. Does London have a higher percentage of muppets than the rest of the country? Certainly looks like it.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

It's not surprising we are seeing this sort of stuff in urban areas - I live in a house in the country - home office, big garden, plenty of space - social distancing is straight forward to me - living in a cramped shared flat with no garden and poor ventilation for a few weeks and you can see the temptation...

As I’ve said elsewhere, fine the b#ggers rather than introducing more draconian measures and punishing us all.

Master
    Very irresponsible,they will be one's moaning when this lockdown gets extended or even worse they get this virus and die from it.

No sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's not surprising we are seeing this sort of stuff in urban areas - I live in a house in the country - home office, big garden, plenty of space - social distancing is straight forward to me - living in a cramped shared flat with no garden and poor ventilation for a few weeks and you can see the temptation...
    Ditto,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Noticed a police presence in the local park when I went out for a walk with Bea earlier. They'd obviously broken up quite a large group of kids, but there were also some adults present (and it certainly wasn't a single household).

Master
    Blog Entries
    India has its own methods theirs lots of videos like this.

Master
    I’m by Tower Bridge and went out to buy the essentials earlier. Some supermarkets have queues hundreds of metres long. The lawned areas had lots of exercise bunnies and dog walkers. Lots of people ‘resting’ in the sun after exercise.

Many in London live in cramped conditions with little outside space. Couple this with the age demographic being significantly younger than outside London, you’ve got a higher proportion of people who don’t feel they need to stay in for self preservation reasons.

Not condoning it, just pointing out there is a reason behind it and it doesn’t surprise me.

Will be very interesting to see whether the government attempts to lock down further...I think there is a good chance of it over Easter if the wether is forecast to be good although I think they’ll have to weigh up public order risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    As I’ve said elsewhere, fine the b#ggers rather than introducing more draconian measures and punishing us all.
    This ^. Why punish everyone because of idiots.

Sit on the sofa and do your bit to help save lives/reduce strain on the NHS, really isn't that big a sacrifice in the scheme of things.

Or equally acceptable...get off the sofa and exercise within the recommendations if you want. Those that have been long term exercising, living healthily, not smoking etc have done more for reducing strain on the NHS than those that sit on the sofa.

I’ll be honest...as someone who has distance run regularly my entire life, I’m starting to feel threatened that I might be denied!
    Last edited by Christian; 5th April 2020 at 15:39.

Wasn’t too bad near me in SE19. I stuck to the wide pavements and less busy roads between me and Dulwich college and most people did the crossing of roads or moving across if that wasn’t possible, even the joggers seemed to have gained some sense and move into the road or stop if getting too close. There are always a few non conformers but on the whole most observed the rules or at least moved as much as the road/pavement would allow.
    Didn’t bother going into the parks as they were probably full of families with small kids wanting to use up some energy.
    I live in a flat, there is a garden but then that means going through the whole in/out communal door touching/hand washing regime and it’s not warm enough for me to just sit there and would rather do the sitting indoors with the amenities!

People just need to be sensible and a bit of sympathy for flat dwellers without direct access to private gardens. no excuse for congregating in big groups and having picnics though.

Or equally acceptable...get off the sofa and exercise within the recommendations if you want. Those that have been long term exercising, living healthily, not smoking etc have done more for reducing strain on the NHS than those that sit on the sofa.
    Exactly, not everyone is a couch potato and going for a run/walk/cycle should not be discouraged.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 5th April 2020 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Sure absolutely exercise in your lounge, garden wherever is feasible, in fact it's advisable, but stay out of the public spaces some people have insufficent self restraint and it triggers and just encourages others to think they're exceptions.

Yup I run too so I'm really missing my 3 or 4 runs a week by the sea or in the hills, but if it helps other people, the health service and the nation so be it. The good thing is we're beginning to see the consequences of the 'lock down' on reducing cases and deaths, so to me it is worth the 'sacrifice'
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th April 2020 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sure absolutely exercise in your lounge, garden wherever is feasible, in fact it's advisable, but stay out of the public spaces some people have insufficent self restraint and it triggers and just encourages others to think they're exceptions.
    I did some yoga in my lounge but do not have the space or desire to piss my neighbors off with a turbo trainer or rollers. I’ll go for a cycle as that’s what the government advice allows. I’ll do it on my heavy 2 speed brompton so I get a good workout on roads close to home so less likely to get stranded miles from home.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the issue is that some people are simply thoughtless, selfish b@stards.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Yup I run too so I'm really missing my 3 or 4 runs a week by the sea or in the hills, but if it helps other people, the health service and the nation so be it. The good thing is we're beginning to see the consequences of the 'lock down' on reducing cases and deaths, so to me it is worth the 'sacrifice'
    Yes, its the parks that are the problem. We could probably just do with locking down the London parks and that would solve a lot of it. The serious runners would then stick to pavements and the sunbathers would go home. I’ve been trail running as I don’t come within 10m of anyone doing that.

Yes, its the parks that are the problem. We could probably just do with locking down the London parks and that would solve a lot of it. The serious runners would then stick to pavements and the sunbathers would go home. I’ve been trail running as I don’t come within 10m of anyone doing that.
    I'm really missing a run of about an hour I have down a rambla through the mountains which tails out to the beach, I usually don't see another human , just lizards, the odd snake, a rabbit or two. But it'll be really sweet in perhaps a months time, looking forward to this.

Well I think they should all be open. I’m not going in them as I don’t have to (have a huge one a stones throw away) but families with kids need somewhere if they do not have a garden. They can’t go trail running as a family can they? Close all the parks and that then means more people on the streets.

I don’t have kids but it’s obvious that there should be more outside space available not less, and people should respect the guidelines and each other.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Brockwell Park was to be closed today in reaction to the numbskulls who think it’s OK to ignore guidance. If an outright ban comes in I pity those who have complied but end up stuck in a flat with no open space to use.

People should just be fined for breaking the rules, and severely. I also like the flogging idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s easier to punish everyone for the crimes of a minority. I learnt that from 17 years military service.

Craftsman
    Friday afternoon Clapham Common was full of idiots playing football & sunbathing, plenty of police driving around but they didn’t seem bothered about it .
    A few rubber bullets should be enough to send the message across, I’d be more than happy to take a few shots .

Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    Friday afternoon Clapham Common was full of idiots playing football & sunbathing, plenty of police driving around but they didn’t seem bothered about it .
    A few rubber bullets should be enough to send the message across, I’d be more than happy to take a few shots .
    A friend saw the police dispersing everyone on Wimbledon Common. There doesn’t seem to continuity across the U.K. or even London as to how they are dealing with this.

Sad to see people doing this. My son is on the front line and is seeing people die every day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On Friday last week scenes on the news of packed tube trains, most of the people did not seem a bit bothered and were just going about their business.

I live in a development in Kingston on the bank of the Thames that (for those who know the area) fronts onto Canbury Gardens. Here are some of the 'essential' exercise I witnessed today in Canbury Gardens

- people sunbathing
    - people playing with Radio Controlled Cars
    - people playing football
    - what appeared to be a group gathering of young children (based on the assumption that it wasn't a single family of around 12 kids of all different racial backgrounds)
    - people cycling in groups of 8
    - people sitting on the grass eating ice creams and picnics
    - people fishing

I say screw 'em. Fine the buggers a grand or shame them in police photos that are distributed widely. Utterly selfish morons

Other cities in Europe seem to have managed to be sensible, look at recent pictures of Rome. I’m also in the lucky position now of living in a large house with a large garden in the countryside - but having been brought up in London, and having left 5 years ago, the place is now so crammed to the rafters that most Londoners probably think that walking past someone without physically brushing against them is ‘social isolation’!
    In fact show a Londoner 2 metres of space and they’ll build a ‘luxury apartment’ or ‘bijoux urban village complex’!
    Doesn’t help the place has a high proportion of self important numpties either, clearly a lot of whom don’t read the papers, watch tv, or worry about killing their grandparents stone dead

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I live in a development in Kingston on the bank of the Thames that (for those who know the area) fronts onto Canbury Gardens. Here are some of the 'essential' exercise I witnessed today in Canbury Gardens

- people sunbathing
    - what appeared to be a group gathering of young children (based on the assumption that it wasn't a single family of around 12 kids of all different racial backgrounds)
    - people fishing

I say screw 'em. Fine the buggers a grand or shame them in police photos that are distributed widely. Utterly selfish morons
    Absolute disgrace this is going on

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Other cities in Europe seem to have managed to be sensible, look at recent pictures of Rome. I’m also in the lucky position now of living in a large house with a large garden in the countryside - but having been brought up in London, and having left 5 years ago, the place is now so crammed to the rafters that most Londoners probably think that walking past someone without physically brushing against them is ‘social isolation’!
    In fact show a Londoner 2 metres of space and they’ll build a ‘luxury apartment’ or ‘bijoux urban village complex’!
    Doesn’t help the place has a high proportion of self important numpties either, clearly a lot of whom don’t read the papers, watch tv, or worry about killing their grandparents stone dead

The way they are going on there will not be enough body bags to go round in London. There will be a lot more space in London when this is all over.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I think Brockwell Park was to be closed today in reaction to the numbskulls who think it’s OK to ignore guidance. If an outright ban comes in I pity those who have complied but end up stuck in a flat with no open space to use.
    That will be me then, at least I will get some exercise delivering supplies to my partners place by bike (she is self isolating) it’s a 2hr round trip.

I think the issue is a lot of people do not exercise, so to them sitting on a riverbank holding a rod or laying in the park having walked there in 10min (any longer and they drive) is ‘exercise’ to them so they think it’s allowed.

London & Lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Sad to see people doing this. My son is on the front line and is seeing people die every day.
    This seems to be what people forget.

All that’s going to happen is that the right to exercise once a day will be taken away. Then they’ll all be up in arms about it when it’s their behaviour that has caused it to happen in the first place.

A great piece of advice that I heard and that some people really need to take on board is not to act like you’re trying to avoid catching COVID19. But instead to act like you’ve already got it and are trying not to give it to anyone else.
    Last edited by jfb1977; 5th April 2020 at 17:54.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

- people sunbathing
    - people fishing

+1 saw someone standing on a 'paddle board' in the river today. 'Essential exercise' no doubt. If he slipped and injured himself no doubt he'd expect to be treated in A & E. (yes I was on my one daily walk with the dog, mostly on farmland we walked to!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I think the issue is a lot of people do not exercise, so to them sitting on a riverbank holding a rod or laying in the park having walked there in 10min (any longer and they drive) is ‘exercise’ to them so they think it’s allowed.
    Agree.

Anyway, I notice that Hancock has rapidly backtracked this afternoon on what he said during this morning’s interviews. I suspect he’s been ‘rebriefed’.

Craftsman
    Possibly harsh but possibly this is the right time for natural selection to kick in for these morons. I’m left wondering how long before leaving the house for exercise will be banned, specifically because these dick heads think the social distancing rules don’t apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    +1 saw someone standing on a 'paddle board' in the river today. 'Essential exercise' no doubt. If he slipped and injured himself no doubt he'd expect to be treated in A & E. (yes I was on my one daily walk with the dog, mostly on farmland we walked to!)
    That water is so hard and unforgiving when you fall into it from surface height lol

Master
    London has morons, but they're not alone

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-05/...o-second-home/

The motorbike tosspots will be out for their rides regardless.
    I guess they will have to wait a fair bit longer for the ambulance though.

My folks live near a motorbike tosspot-hotspot and heard a few today screaming down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    London has morons, but they're not alone

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-05/...o-second-home/
    World class level do as I say not as I do.

Master
    Blog Entries

My folks live near a motorbike tosspot-hotspot and heard a few today screaming down the road.
    Sitting in the garden this afternoon every so often a wanker on his motorcycle came past, how I long for his pistons to come through the crankcase.

Excellent, I wonder who’ll be the first to comment

London never fails to impress in the stupidity stakes.

Master
    In Spain if you are caught outdoors it is a €600 fine. A family of five got caught in a car and it was a straight €3000 fine. Believe me it soon works. Also out here if you know what is good for you, you don't argue with the Guardia (police) or else you risk loosing your teeth.

The anti-London sentiment is unsurprising. Maybe do some more reading? It's happening across the country.

Furthermore, the calls for complete lock-ups are totally unfeasible for those in cramped accommodation with children, e.g. plenty of council flats. A system needs to be implemented to enable people in such circumstances to be able to go outside whilst maintaining the suggested distance from other people.

It's easy to criticise when you have a garden yourself, or heck even a balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Excellent, I wonder who’ll be the first to comment
    I will.

I wonder if geography has anything to do with it. After imploring fellow motorcyclists to stay at home on another thread, I had cause to drive to work this weekend on an on-call shift and my drive from Sheffield to Chesterfield takes me over some very pretty Peak District roads that are very popular with bikers.

Two weeks ago just before the lockdown the roads were packed with bikers and all the lay-bys full of cars and big groups were in evidence walking the countryside.

Yesterday everywhere was absolutely deserted. Lay-bys completely empty, and tellingly, I saw one single biker in the hour plus round trip when usually I would have expected to see anywhere between 50-60 with ease.

Just one anecdote but I think some folk are listening and behaving themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Furthermore, the calls for complete lock-ups are totally unfeasible for those in cramped accommodation with children, e.g. plenty of council flats. A system needs to be implemented to enable people in such circumstances to be able to go outside whilst maintaining the suggested distance from other people.
    There is the space for them to go out and exercise and get fresh air whilst maintaining social distancing, if they just use a bit of common sense. It's the numbskulls who then gather in groups for a natter while their abhorrent offspring run around everywhere that is the problem.

Our family of four live in London and we've been going out for walks to the local marshes, forest and country park every day.

Last week most places were empty, except for a few runners and dog walkers.

Yesterday and today were busier, but we only saw singles or couples dog walking/running or obvious families, and everyone was keeping their distance, stopping like cars on a narrow lane to allow people to pass.

On the way back today we saw that police had closed a side road to the forest, with a patrol car and two constables in attendance. When we'd passed it earlier it looked busy and cars were parked up and down, so I have no idea if the police were simply moving people on or something had happened.

We're lucky enough to have a car and can drive out a bit to get to the walks, but if a local park is the only patch of green accessible to you then I can understand the need to get there.

What I really don't like is Twat Mancock blaming everyone except his own government for the problems. To start slinging accusations at people who've been trapped in their homes all week when he can't even provide face masks, gloves and testing kits to NHS staff just smacks of snotty-nosed deflection. Rather than lock everyone in their homes, sort out the testing so we know if we need to stay in or not.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 5th April 2020 at 20:07.

Master
    Those sitting or lying around or self distancing are not exercising, spray them with dye similar to that used in security money boxes, it’ll be evident to all who see them again what they did, sensible exercise is reasonable but not what we are seeing, and not just in London. No point finding people who may not have the money to pay?