closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: London & Lockdown

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's a question of probabilities. Like I said earlier lots of people saying 'yeah but, no but' to find loopholes. Walking for exercise from home is allowed. Haven't seen any recommendations for paddle boarding. Walking the dog, even on farmland is probably one of the safer pursuits, but hey whatever you say.
    I’m not seeing people looking for loopholes, just a few people brazenly ignoring advice. It would be nice if they could be bothered to find a loophole. I think entitlement culture is toxic, but where I live everyone appears to be very sensible and I have no issue with people taking daily exercise.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=hilly10;5374066]What is it with London do they think they are in a different country or something, the pictures on the news from yesterday were shameful. If it carries on the rest of us around the country will suffer with an exercise ban. The London area has the highest death and infections rate and yet they still congregate. Beyond words.[/QUOT

Same thing here in the united states

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    The link above, notes the government accept people may need to drive to exercise. They’ve advised you can drive to your exercise in England. I believe it’s different in Scotland and Wales though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    There was no link in the post you quoted, which link says the government accept people may need to drive to exercise

from gov.uk, FAQ, What you can and can’t do

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.
    You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.
    We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

[QUOTE=th6252;5374625]
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    What is it with London do they think they are in a different country or something, the pictures on the news from yesterday were shameful. If it carries on the rest of us around the country will suffer with an exercise ban. The London area has the highest death and infections rate and yet they still congregate. Beyond words.[/QUOT

Same thing here in the united states
    Londoners congregating en masse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    There was no link in the post you quoted, which link says the government accept people may need to drive to exercise

from gov.uk, FAQ, What you can and can’t do

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.
    You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.
    We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.
    It was posted by someone else but it's here https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

It was posted by someone else but it's here https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown
    Well that Isn’t what the government advises and I have seen police move on someone who drove to our local
    park to walk their dog. And if you want a news and police quote

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...where-17983298

Master
    Well that Isn’t what the government advises and I have seen police move on someone who drove to our local
    park to walk their dog. And if you want a news and police quote

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...where-17983298
    That's from 26th March, it's because of incidents like that the NPCC had clarify guidance. They're very clear that you can drive to your exercise.

That's from 26th March, it's because of incidents like that the NPCC had clarify guidance. They're very clear that you can drive to your exercise.
    Try this one then from 4th April

https://www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/tas...s/coronavirus/

So it’s only London then? Rest of the country is following the advice to the letter?
    That’s good to hear, keep up the good work 👍🏻

Blog Entries
    Does that include driving to local beauty spots, beaches, parks, with lots of other people or is it just for entitled Guardian readers?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Whilst well meaning, words from a council leader do not constitute the law...

Police are concerned with upholding the law, not guidance. If they want it be unlawful, the government need to make it the law you can’t drive to take your exercise/walk your dog.

Considering their are 60m+ people in this country, it’s pretty remarkable how well the stay at home message is being observed.

Yeah, it’s easy to post a photo from a London park or a beach, but tilting at windmills on a watch forum isn’t going to change the behaviour of some.

Master
    The link I posted made it very clear that you can drive for your daily exercise, it's from a credible and national news source which details guidance from one of highest policing authorities that you can drive to your exercise. You are quoting North Norfolk's council Leader from their own LA site. I'm out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Police are concerned with upholding the law, not guidance. If they want it be unlawful, the government need to make it the law you can’t drive to take your exercise/walk your dog.

Considering their are 60m+ people in this country, it’s pretty remarkable how well the stay at home message is being observed.

Yeah, it’s easy to post a photo from a London park or a beach, but tilting at windmills on a watch forum isn’t going to change the behaviour of some.
    It is considering some peoples apparent willingness to argue the case for doing exactly the opposite.

I would suggest they actually broadcast whats going on in hospitals up and down the country.

Its very easy to avoid listening - and take on the attitude that it does not affect me.

I had a friend taken to A&E due to issues from a non covid issue. However she was tested... her husband could not go with her... every one at a&E was full PPE - and the first question they asked her was whether she has a DNR in place or not.

This is what should be shown to the wider public - and until it hits closer to home then there will always be people ignoring the advice - which at the end of day could save their own lifes.

The friend said she had never been so scared, and that if it had been one of her kids - they would not have been able to go with them.

Speaking to friends in London they mentioned that they had lost people they knew already to covid19, friends near us have been in ICU - and others are in induced comas.....

Stay safe all!

Cheers

Matt

Master
    It is considering some peoples apparent willingness to argue the case for doing exactly the opposite.
    I don’t think people are.

You walk your dog from home, others choose to do it after driving a couple of miles.

As long as social distancing is observed, the end result is the same.

Given that most accidents requiring hospitalisation occur in the home, you can’t really use the argument ‘it’s dangerous to drive’...

You walk your dog from home, others choose to do it after driving a couple of miles.

Given that most accidents requiring hospitalisation occur in the home, you can’t really use the argument ‘it’s dangerous to drive’...
    Yes, safest thing you can do is drive around all day.

Blog Entries

I wonder why the advice is to stay at home then and not go out driving?

You will obviously have a rather clever answer to anything anyone says about the matter. Well done chap. I hope you and your family stay well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, safest thing you can do is drive around all day.
    People driving to a park or wood to walk their dog or exercise is hardly driving around all day is it.

Is this really the time for straw man arguments?

People driving to a park or wood to walk their dog or exercise is hardly driving around all day is it.

An extension of your argument.

Why drive a couple of miles to walk your dog? Why not 10 miles, or 50 miles to somewhere nicer? Less time spent in the home after all.

Master
    I wonder why the advice is to stay at home then and not go out driving?

You will obviously have a rather clever answer to anything anyone says about the matter. Well done chap. I hope you and your family stay well.
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to do by camping on this thread and jumping on anybody who disagrees with your own view, whilst not forgetting to continue your long running feuds with your various nemesis.

So, I won’t try to guess.

Work for me tomorrow and yes, it will involve driving to get there.

Oh, and keep your best wishes to yourself, thanks all the same, they’re clearly not genuine.

Blog Entries

How far would you say they should drive? 1 mile, 5 miles, 20 miles? The seaside? Is there a recommended distance?

Master

Why drive a couple of miles to walk your dog? Why not 10 miles, or 50 miles to somewhere nicer? Less time spent in the home after all.
    Seriously? Is it only black and white in your world?

- - - Updated - - -

How far would you say they should drive? 1 mile, 5 miles, 20 miles? The seaside? Is there a recommended distance?
    Jog on, if that’s still allowed in your world...

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to do by camping on this thread and jumping on anybody who disagrees with your own view, whilst not forgetting to continue your long running feuds with your various nemesis.

So, I won’t try to guess.

Work for me tomorrow and yes, it will involve driving to get there.

Oh, and keep your best wishes to yourself, thanks all the same, they’re clearly not genuine.
    Actually I was posting on the forum, just like a lot of others do. Unfortunately this obviously doesn't sit well with people like you, who don't like being disagreed with. As for long running feuds, you'll have to ask them.

And I was being genuine, but of course you wouldn't believe it as in your eyes disagreeing with someone would prevent you wishing them well.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 6th April 2020 at 00:51.

We're on the same page for once, take care!

Blog Entries
    We're on the same page for once, take care!
    I know, scary isn't it!

I know, scary isn't it!
    Yes, strange times.

https://newsthump.com/2020/04/05/nur...ally-nice-tan/

Master
    Actually I was posting on the forum, just like a lot of others do. Unfortunately this doesn't sit well with people like you who don't like being disagreed with. As for long running feuds, you'll have to ask them.

And I was being genuine, but of course you wouldn't believe it as in your eyes disagreeing with someone would prevent you wishing them well.
    I’m the last one to object to people disagreeing with me, I can and do change my mind about things when the argument is coherent enough.

All I see though is lots of condescension and pithy sound bites towards those who even dare ask genuine questions about what to do for the best in our current predicament.

I’m not driving anywhere except to go to my essential key work, buy food, and delivering supplies to my father who is undergoing radiotherapy for neck cancer. But, my elderly neighbour is driving 2 miles to walk her dog somewhere remote and non public (with the permission of the landowner) as she doesn’t want to be out in the village. I can respect that.

If you want to ‘win’ an argument, crack on, but it changes nothing. You need to calm down and view the world from something other than your own perspective.

Yes there is, Zero.

It's a question of probabilities. Like I said earlier lots of people saying 'yeah but, no but' to find loopholes. Walking for exercise from home is allowed. Haven't seen any recommendations for paddle boarding. Walking the dog, even on farmland is probably one of the safer pursuits, but hey whatever you say.
    What probabilities are they then? Check out injuries sustained in the farm environment and check out paddle boarding injuries in calm water, quite the difference.
    I never have paddle boarded so have no bias toward it, but I do know of two close friends that have been hospitalised due to dog attacks when they have been walking their own dogs, and we all know people, many of them, that have needed treatment after falls, trips, slips etc whilst walking.
    So despite there being no evidence for paddle boarding injuries sustained in calm water, I concede that it could happen, and the possibilities for injury are really endless in both activities, therefore your chosen exercise is no more righteous than another persons choice. And remember, if he's on the river paddle boarding, he's not in your way on the path.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I’m the last one to object to people disagreeing with me, I can and do change my mind about things when the argument is coherent enough.

All I see though is lots of condescension and pithy sound bites towards those who even dare ask genuine questions about what to do for the best in our current predicament.

I’m not driving anywhere except to go to my essential key work, buy food, and delivering supplies to my father who is undergoing radiotherapy for neck cancer. But, my elderly neighbour is driving 2 miles to walk her dog somewhere remote and non public (with the permission of the landowner) as she doesn’t want to be out in the village. I can respect that.

If you want to ‘win’ an argument, crack on, but it changes nothing. You need to calm down and view the world from something other than your own perspective.
    I can’t as it flies in the face of government advice, she has other options surely than driving 2 miles to exercise her dog in which case it’s clearly not essential travel.

The sooner there’s a full lockdown the better.
    The experiences from here and elsewhere suggests it really has to be, it's either all or nothing.
    By staying in and denying the virus new hosts that's how you beat it. Of course early testing and contact tracing could have avoided the necessity for total lockdown but as we know that ship has long sailed, the time to act decisively was wasted. The only option left to protect what remains is the full lockdown otherwise the death toll will rise for weeks maybe months and the NHS might collapse under the strain.
    Last edited by Passenger; 6th April 2020 at 08:08.

OK so you are saying you should only comply if they actually make it the law, you would not comply with your councils rules? Our local council closed the car parks at our largest open space at the weekend, some people can walk there but the majority have to drive to get there as it’s on the edge of the town and they were continuing to do it.

And referring to your other post about an elderly neighbour driving 2 miles to walk their dog, shouldn’t they be isolating at home for 12 weeks. My Parents have a dog but unfortunately she is restricted to chasing a ball in the garden at the moment.

And a note to the other dog walkers here, you are now meant to keep you dog on a lead when you are in an area with other people, I see an awful lot of people not doing this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    What probabilities are they then? Check out injuries sustained in the farm environment and check out paddle boarding injuries in calm water, quite the difference.
    I never have paddle boarded so have no bias toward it, but I do know of two close friends that have been hospitalised due to dog attacks when they have been walking their own dogs, and we all know people, many of them, that have needed treatment after falls, trips, slips etc whilst walking.
    So despite there being no evidence for paddle boarding injuries sustained in calm water, I concede that it could happen, and the possibilities for injury are really endless in both activities, therefore your chosen exercise is no more righteous than another persons choice. And remember, if he's on the river paddle boarding, he's not in your way on the path.

Load of rubbish. You are talking about injuries sustained by people working in a farm environment not walking a dog on farmland. Unless you can show me figures for people injured doing the latter. And I don’t know anyone who has needed treatment after being injured whilst walking their dog on farmland.

Or the Scottish health officer - 44 miles to her second home was it? Any different to driving to a forest? I don’t think so.

They shouldn’t - at all - unless absolutely necessary. It’s fairly clear

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The experiences from here and elsewhere suggests it really has to be, it's either all or nothing.
    By staying in and denying the virus new hosts that's how you beat it. Of course early testing and contact tracing could have avoided the necessity for total lockdown but as we know that ship has long sailed, the time to act decisively was wasted. The only option left to protect what remains is the full lockdown otherwise the death toll will rise for weeks maybe months and the NHS might collapse under the strain.
    Probably the most coherent response on this thread

Blog Entries

I think you’re the one who needs to calm down chap. Perhaps read your posts again and see who was getting all ‘jog on’ about it.
    All I see is people trying to excuse their behaviour in going against the lockdown because it isn’t set in stone. Well if it continues it probably will be.

Turn on BBC Breakfast and listen to the 2 doctors they are interviewing, it’s hardly the first time we have seen
    NHS staff imploring people to comply.

Master
    OK so you are saying you should only comply if they actually make it the law, you would not comply with your councils rules? Our local council closed the car parks at our largest open space at the weekend, some people can walk there but the majority have to drive to get there as it’s on the edge of the town and they were continuing to do it.

And referring to your other post about an elderly neighbour driving 2 miles to walk their dog, shouldn’t they be isolating at home for 12 weeks. My Parents have a dog but unfortunately she is restricted to chasing a ball in the garden at the moment.

And a note to the other dog walkers here, you are now meant to keep you dog on a lead when you are in an area with other people, I see an awful lot of people not doing this.
    Look, this is what I’m talking about.

I’m complying perfectly well with all advice, as well as the law, thank you,

Are you not getting tired of reading the righteous proclamations of self imposed online police? Because I am. There are many people on here who are, shall we say, opinionated. Unsurprisingly, they have carried their opinions into this pandemic, and boy are they loving sniping at others from their TZ-UK virtual window.

Most people are very law abiding, as is my elderly neighbour (although I haven’t checked her attic for a cannabis farm), and whilst her driving 1 mile each way to walk her dog and get out of the house might be twisting some panties on here, she’s not breaking the law in England.

And, if people stop frothing at the mouth for a minute and think about it, her particular action is not harming anybody.

She’s exercising a tiny bit of self determination, legally, within what small amount of freedom she now has. I’m defending that, yes.

Load of rubbish. You are talking about injuries sustained by people working in a farm environment not walking a dog on farmland. Unless you can show me figures for people injured doing the latter. And I don’t know anyone who has needed treatment after being injured whilst walking their dog on farmland.
    Nice reasoned and well thought out start to your post there, not. So because you dont know anyone it's never happened? Load of rubbish.

I've been driving to my mother's to deliver food, I'm lucky to have a choice of main road or a really nice route through the countryside. Am I allowed to stop somewhere on the way back to take my daily exercise? Asking for a friend, or the people who own the cars I see parked here and there along the route I take. I just need to know if I should be judging them based on not having a clue what their situation is or why they're there.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    And I don’t know anyone who has needed treatment after being injured whilst walking their dog on farmland.
    I do, I was walking with my uncle last year across a footpath, he slipped and broke his ankle. I suspect that isn’t a rare event across the country, even now.

Just 4 weeks ago, my father in law took half his thumb off with a circular saw in the garden, he’s still having to go to the hospital each day to get the dressings changed.

Accidents happen, I’m not sure why you think waking across farmland is risk free. In fact, given everything you’ve said in this thread and others, why are you even out?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've been driving to my mother's to deliver food, I'm lucky to have a choice of main road or a really nice route through the countryside. Am I allowed to stop somewhere on the way back to take my daily exercise? Asking for a friend, or the people who own the cars I see parked here and there along the route I take. I just need to know if I should be judging them based on not having a clue what their situation is or why they're there.
    Good points. I'd say if you stop to exercise on the way home you are using one trip out of the house for two purposes, killing two birds with one stone makes a lot of sense. And yes, who knows how many of the people from the parked cars you see are doing the same or similar?

Look, this is what I’m talking about.

I’m complying perfectly well with all advice, as well as the law, thank you,

Are you not getting tired of reading the righteous proclamations of self imposed online police? Because I am. There are many people on here who are, shall we say, opinionated. Unsurprisingly, they have carried their opinions into this pandemic, and boy are they loving sniping at others from their TZ-UK virtual window.

Most people are very law abiding, as is my elderly neighbour (although I haven’t checked her attic for a cannabis farm), and whilst her driving 1 mile each way to walk her dog and get out of the house might be twisting some panties on here, she’s not breaking the law in England.

And, if people stop frothing at the mouth for a minute and think about it, her particular action is not harming anybody.

She’s exercising a tiny bit of self determination, legally, within what small amount of freedom she now has. I’m defending that, yes.
    As someone else posted I think you should go back and read your posts again. The ‘my action is not harming anybody’ attitude
    even though it goes against all the advice is what could result in a total lock down.

Did You clap for the NHS? If you did then take on board the advice/pleading from NHS workers if you dont think people should take the advice of the government.

Blog Entries
    I do, I was walking with my uncle last year across a footpath, he slipped and broke his ankle. I suspect that isn’t a rare event across the country, even now.

Just 4 weeks ago, my father in law took half his thumb off with a circular saw in the garden, he’s still having to go to the hospital each day to get the dressings changed.

Accidents happen, I’m not sure why you think waking across farmland is risk free. In fact, given everything you’ve said in this thread and others, why are you even out?
    Because the guidance says I can walk from home for exercise once a day. Can you show me where it says going paddle boarding is acceptable or do you just want to argue for the sake of it?

Good points. I'd say if you stop to exercise on the way home you are using one trip out of the house for two purposes, killing two birds with one stone makes a lot of sense. And yes, who knows how many of the people from the parked cars you see are doing the same or similar?

Why exactly is that one trip better than the alternative two? Doesn't make a lot of sense TBH.

Blog Entries
    Nice reasoned and well thought out start to your post there, not. So because you dont know anyone it's never happened? Load of rubbish.

No. It’s rubbish because your figures obviously refer to working in a farm environment not walking. As I said unless you can show me otherwise.

Master
    Because the guidance says I can walk from home for exercise once a day. Can you show me where it says going paddle boarding is acceptable or do you just want to argue for the sake of it?
    I would never try and argue with a bloke who seems to spend all day and night on here doing exactly that, so no.

Paddle boarding is exercise, a paddle board is an accessory to that exercise, like a bike I guess. If they’re complying with ‘the advice’ what’s your problem with it?

In the village where my extended family live - a man has been traveling from Wolverhampton each day (70 miles each way) to paint his second home.

Someone writing "you are a ****" on his window seems to have encouraged him to stop doing it.

Master
    Recently seen several cars with bikes in the back or on cycle racks. That tells me you're driving somewhere for exercise. Not allowed. The police should stop and fine anyone with a bike in/on the car.

tbh my extended family are just as bad with their going out. Got a phone call yesterday from a niece telling us about a garden centre giving it's stock away by the side of the road. We wouldn't go out for this BUT it then twigged that said garden centre was a 30 minute drive from where the niece lives! When questioned about this we got the reply.... 'well I just had to get out but we didn't stop anywhere and if we did we kept out distance' - unbelievable. Isn't there a name for two statements that seem to re-enforce each other but actually don't e.g. 'didn't stop but if we did we kept our distance'. Another example, going to three different shops looking for chicken kievs! Honestly!